Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MourningView posted:

That show was the weirdest loving thing when it first started out and it was just Dan and his dad who barely watched sports or understood what was going on hanging out in his kitchen.
I can't speak for DLHQ since I haven't really watched it, but his Miami-area radio show is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Dan LeBetard's local Miami area radio show is officially going national through ESPN on Oct. 1st

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

chunkles posted:

Is that good or bad? I've heard a couple interviews from that show and they were pretty good. I also appreciate someone keeping Stan van Gundy on the air. But I have no opinion otherwise.
I enjoy the show and listen to it on podcasts at work. It's a good mix of not stupid sports talk, interviews, and comedy. They love to make fun of dumb sports radio in general.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So starting Monday from 4-7 PM Eastern, Dan LeBatard is taking over the afternoon show on ESPN Radio nationally. Looking forward to it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Benne posted:

Kornheiser wore a turkey suit on PTI today

I think that picture speaks for itself, really
Still not as good as Patrick Stewart in a lobster costume for Halloween

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Hockles posted:

Why NBC Sports is not airing the Olympics 24/7 is beyond me. Live or tape delay, I don't care. I shouldn't turn there and see Shark Hunters or auto auctions marathons.
Because NBC is the most poorly run network (slightly edging out ABC).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I just recently read the book 'Those Guys Have All the Fun' about ESPN, and yeah, Mark Shapiro started most of that 'First Take' type stuff with PTI and then Around the Horn. He's mostly to blame for that, as when he took over he pushed the debate shows more.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Ozzie Guillen will be working on Baseball Tonight this season....I give him 2 months

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10666814/ozzie-guillen-eric-wedge-dallas-braden-join-baseball-tonight-crew

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Anals of History posted:

If he's on the Elliott plan, I can't imagine he'll remain the host for more than a couple more years. It'll be interesting to see if they start putting in other guys for practice reps or tryouts.

Reali sounds, by all accounts, like a legitimately good guy and I'm glad he's moving up and getting paid. That said, social media correspondence sounds like an utter load of poo poo. No one's turning on the TV at 7AM to find out what's happening on Twitter.
Are the people who watch those kinds of shows even ON social media? I think the median age of those shows are around 55.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ElwoodCuse posted:

I hope they give that cartoon NFL robot a visor and a 5-iron and show him every 5 minutes
Way better than having Joe Buck provide any kind of commentary for anything sports-related.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

MourningView posted:

Brett Favre can't take a studio job, he needs to keep working out in case someone needs the ol' gunslinger to ride again.
It's also probably a little creepier if he works with the people he sends dick pics to...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

Sportscenter is relaunching from its new studio on June 22nd. Some photos of the new space:

Fun facts:

- 194,000 square feet
- Features: "a video floor, virtual technology, two touchscreens, a 56 LED multi-dimensional monitor wall and the ability to do live and pre-produced segments simultaneously.”
- ESPN wants to bring Dan Patrick back to anchor Sportscenter: “It’s a nascent plan, but in discussions with NBC (Patrick’s employer), I did mention it to them because it did seem like it was an appropriate time to have a mention of it. We do not have any agreements. We don’t have anything to announce,” Skipper said. “We don’t know what we’ll do yet .”
Supposedly the building this is in/the set cost $125 million, which is insane.

Meanwhile they laid a bunch of people off around this time last year despite record profits.

http://deadspin.com/source-espn-laying-off-hundreds-509043249

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

WEREWAIF posted:

They created endless yelling shows to fill the non sportscenter time and espn2, and I think people have grown very weary of them too.
Isn't PTI still their highest rated show?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ElwoodCuse posted:

It's The Learning Channel and it's not even close
Can't argue there...

although the History Channel going from the Nazi Power Hour to Ancient Aliens and Bigfoot is definitely 2nd.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

CannonFodder posted:

His 'Worst Person in the Sports World' bit is good, and I like his opening monologue thing. Lately he's been having lots of subs it seems.

Best part was when a guy from the show Sports Night showed up to help with the highlights.
He was having some health issues...plus in the summer a lot of TV hosts tend to take time off

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So has ESPN directly commented on the SAS thing?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

His network likes to hire disgraced former ESPN people...he gave Steve Phillips a job after the mess he made at ESPN with the sexual harassment and secret affairs

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I heard Dino Costa driving back from my masters program a few years ago...he's basically the epitome of the ignorant conservative white guy. He basically wanted to be Rush 2.0.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So this full-page ad appeared in this morning's Miami Herald.

FlamingLiberal fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 10, 2014

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Niwrad posted:

Is there a chance the suspension was fake and he was just taking some vacation days? They used to do that all the time in the old shock jock days. Radio show would take a pre-planned vacation for a week and have the station claim they were suspended for a stunt they did.
He already took time off for vacation about a month ago.

I would be surprised if ESPN would let him do that kind of stunt either.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Jackie D posted:

Smith is supposed to be leaving ESPN soon I thought. Not a huge fan of Simmons but he had good chemistry with Jalen and I don't know who they'll put in that would be better.

Yeah, but no chance.
I think it was clarified that he was just leaving ESPN Radio for a Sirius XM channel.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Robnoxious posted:

We here at FOX are proud to introduce a new member to the FOX Family.

Take it away Sideline Twerkreporter Miley Cyrus!
Don't give them ideas...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah the LeBatard radio show is also moving to that brand new ESPN studio on South Beach this week.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

If it's like soccer jerseys then yeah.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Oh probably. I grew up in Miami and those places were just excuses to gamble legally.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Like running for office against Putin.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

One of my favorites from the 'Golden Age' of ESPN anchors in the '90s. Watched him all the time in the morning as a kid before going to school. Sucks he had to go so young.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Retail Slave posted:

Like I said upthread, when they announced he was back in the hospital a couple of months ago and wished him well and gave him "I love you's" and were all crying on the air, you could kind of read between the lines. That's probably when that project really kicked into gear.
You can tell the ESPN obit was written awhile ago, since it's LONG and full of testimonials from other ESPN people.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Niwrad posted:

I think younger people who grew up with the internet their whole lives don't realize how big SportsCenter was in the 90's. You had to watch it to find out what was going on in sports. Tons of people woke up to the show every morning before school and work.
Yeah it was right before the Internet made the show kind of irrelevant, since over time you could watch those clips online instead. But SportsCenter was huge during that time.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I can't link on my phone, but apparently Dan Patrick executed a stone cold takedown on Colin Cowherd because Colin claimed Dan 'lets his producers do all of his work now' on his show this morning.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

wukkar posted:

Bring back Playmakers.
No one would admit in the 'Those Guys Have All The Fun' book about the history of ESPN that the NFL killed that show, but they kind of implied it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah, it can be done, but if you're going to make a 'hard hitting' show about the dark side of pro football, don't do it on the same network that has a contract with the NFL.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

My personal favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaEvgK6dxQQ

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

BasicFunk posted:

I guess they think that being buddy buddy with athletes gets them the "inside scoop" and the kind of access they need to do special interviews, 30 for 30 specials, and such.
Or you could pull a Pedro Gomez and be buddy-buddy when it is profitable for you, then proceed to destroy the same guy you buddied up to for years when it no longer matters

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That's a true :master:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm sure those talks will end well....

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Vertical Lime posted:

A very telling article about how ESPN and Fox are cutting costs due to the still-increasing rights fees to events:

http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/exp..._medium=twitter
I never thought FS1 was going to be able to compete with ESPN to begin with, but this just reinforces that.

Although I do find it ironic that the success of the networks themselves has lead to it becoming even more expensive to pay for live content.

This will only get worse as more people drop cable and regular TV shows become less and less tied down to networks.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Based on the articles I've been seeing recently, this is probably less about Olbermann himself and more that he costs too much money for ESPN right now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Vertical Lime posted:

Makes sense, imo:

Richard Deitsch ‏@richarddeitsch 3h3 hours ago
For what's it's worth: From the insiders I've spoken with over the last 24 hrs, Dan Le Batard is the clubhouse leader for Cowherd's spot.
Good, get me some more Miami sports in the drive time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

BWV posted:

I'll be upset if they move Lebatard earlier. The format he has going now with Stu and everyone has been really good over the years. 4 hours is much better for those guys so they can go off on their weird tangents and keep things light.
If they're purely thinking in-house I think Bomani would be a better fit for a 2 hour show—although I'm sure that would piss of many of Colin's most loyal/ignorant listeners.
I doubt they would change the format