Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

While listening to last week's Hang Up and Listen, I heard them mention the launch of FS1 so I tuned in near the beginning of today's 5am airing of Fox Sports Live. The graphics look like the random FSN programming I've seen in the past, and the aesthetics remind me of Fox's MLB and Nascar coverage, which also turns me off.

The two anchors (I've read up on their TSN background) seem like they're trying too hard for banter - it reminds me more of Sports Night than the Dan Patrick/Kenny Mayne days on Sportscenter.

I'm willing to give it a chance. The real test will come once football season starts.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Aug 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

soggybagel posted:

Everything you need to know about Joe Buck is summed up in his disgust for Randy Moss fake mooning the Packers crowd.
So he's a racist without a sense of humor?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Gary Payton on the Fox Sports Live panel basically has no redeeming value.

And shouldn't there be a baseball person on the panel?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

BIZORT posted:

I don't understand the appeal of those PTI and Around the Horn shows. Sports talk radio is boring and all those shows are is a visual representation of that sort of media, which is twice as boring. Of all of the crap ESPN puts out, I think those types of shows are the worst and most dangerous because they turn journalists (well, sports journalists) into TV personalities. No one ever heard of Skip Bayless before ESPN let him sit on TV and yell. It's obnoxious programming and I don't understand how people enjoy it.
Woah now, let's not compare Skip Bayless to Around the Horn, and certainly not to PTI. :colbert:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

This might be the start of Cable Armageddon... ESPN preparing to sell streaming rights to WatchESPN for people without a cable subscription:

This is the domino that's been waiting to fall for years now and the fallout from the cable providers is going to be spectacular.
Can't the cable providers just cap us at 200GB/mo or something similarly ridiculous?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Even for First Take, this is ridiculous:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MourningView posted:

Stop watching First Take you loving moron.
That's what ESPN2 put up during a rain delay in tennis :colbert:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Benne posted:

MMQB has a good breakdown of all the NFL pregame shows this year

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/08/29/2013-nfl-season-tv/

tl;dr don't watch the NFL pregame shows.
Then what do we do on Sunday from when we wake up to 1pm ET?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

the only people who take NBCSN seriously are hockey fans
What about Premiere League viewers? :colbert:

Benne posted:

I think Beadle is a breakout star waiting to happen, and it's kind of baffling that NBC doesn't know what to do with her.

NBC is now gearing up for the NHL, and Beadle has hinted that she wants to do more hockey coverage, so something might happen there, but who knows. She deserves more than Access Hollywood and throwaway mid-afternoon studio gigs.
I remember thinking it was strange that she was leaving SportsNation for Access Hollywood and even weirder when she was going back to sports on a network that nobody watches. If anything, she should fire her agent.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 28, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Benne posted:

Kornheiser wore a turkey suit on PTI today

I think that picture speaks for itself, really
Tony Kornheiser is a national treasure :colbert:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

Tebow is inevitable.
Has anyone ever seen Tebow talk about football? I've been mostly disappointed with Ray Lewis on ESPN this year.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Troy Queef posted:

GUESS WHO'S JOINING ESPN

And don't worry, if an NFL team comes a-callin', there is an out-clause in his contract.
I get the feeling the ESPN's going to want an out clause.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Niwrad posted:

It is a travesty that we don't have Gus Johnson calling NFL games each weekend.
I've watched him do a couple college games and I really didn't like him

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Timby posted:

Believe it or not, he's been with the network since he was 24 (I believe he's something like employee #3). In addition to being one of the few Republicans at the network, he lives an extremely clean life, which is probably a huge factor in how he still has his babyface at his age.
ESPN is filled with liberals? I never really got that sense.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Can I get some context?
ESPN is the TV equivalent of the forums

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Vertical Lime posted:

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/01/01/college-football-playoff-viewership-new-years-eve-decline-espn

Viewership numbers:

Last season's Rose: 28.16 million viewers
Last season's Sugar: 28.27 million
This season's Orange: 15.64
This season's Cotton: 18.55

You don't drop on average 39% and take it lying down
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what ESPN will do.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Spoeank posted:

Robert Flores is leaving ESPN. His TV stuff is okay but he's come into his own as podcast host for Football Today. drat.
Leaving or getting fired as part of "cost-cutting" and "restructuring"?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

Well, that's... something. Fox Sports sent freshly-hired sideline reporter Colleen Dominguez to Erin Andrews' hairdresser to get Erin Andrews hair extensions, tried to make her get a facelift, and wouldn't put her on TV because she's too old and ugly. She's suing them for age and gender discrimination. Now her producer, Jacqueline Bower, who knew about everything in the dispute, was fired after an HR interview because... they cancelled a show she didn't work on.
This surprises absolutely no one.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FS1 was always doomed to fail. Rupert Murdoch's ego puts Donald Trump's to shame.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

soggybagel posted:

Curt Schilling is impossible to fire for some reason.
Kiss the rings.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rick posted:

I think they could've done something cool with that, especially since ESPN always namedrops that they are in LA, but it doesn't really feel like a very LA show.
Only the late night Sportscenter is from LA. Everything else is back in Connecticut.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tony Kornheiser is leaving radio after 24 year... to start a podcast: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2016/06/02/tony-kornheiser-to-leave-d-c-radio-after-24-years-to-launch-podcast/

This actually makes a lot of sense because it seems most of us listen to him via podcast, and more flexible scheduling means he's less likely to get burned out.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Anals of History posted:

Hoping the podcast format means Kornheiser can go back to full-on tirades, and that Kevin Sheenan fucks off forever.
Kip Sheeman does the station's 7-11am show now so we won't hear him much if at all.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I was looking at Mike Tirico's wikipedia page and apparently he doesn't think he's black? :wtc:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

AsInHowe posted:

I like Tirico. Good dude.
"Tirico, for example, was suspended by the network for three months in 1992 for multiple incidents involving attempted groping, sexual solicitation, and stalking of female co-workers."

Yeah, real good dude.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

At this point, it's clear that nobody actually watched Colin Cowherd on ESPN for him since they didn't follow him to FS1, and nobody has cared about Jason Whitlock for a while, and the 2 Fox Sports Live anchors made a mistake leaving TSN, right?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ElwoodCuse posted:

Jay and Dan's bank accounts probably don't think they made a mistake
For some reason, I thought Fox Sports Live was cancelled. But yeah, if they're still getting paychecks, good for them.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Amazing Copa America final and Sportscenter leads with inconsequential baseball games :negative:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

A Copa America final between two South American teams isn't going to lead SportsCenter unless Leo Messi scores five goals. Doesn't matter if it's played on American soil.
I mean, missing a PK to lose the match is similarly notable imo, especially since he had never missed one in his career.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

straight up brolic posted:

lol very wrong he's a bottler and misses PKs all the time (see vs. Chelsea in CL semis)
Wtf Sportscenter told me that what a bunch of lying liars :colbert:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I don't know if ESPN is trying to get Trey Wingo to replace Mike Tirico on their tennis coverage, but he called a highlights package yesterday with 2 analysts and twice mispronounced the easy name of a former #1, twice used the completely wrong name of the American who just finished the match that was their lead-in, and twice referred to it as "the Wimbledon Championships" when you absolutely should call it "the Championships, Wimbledon" or just "Wimbledon".

I'm not sure who should be more embarassed: ESPN for putting someone on who clearly doesn't even follow the sport, his producer for not making sure he was prepared, or he himself for being so unprepared.

Also lol that he referred to it as the Super Bowl of tennis, as if people watching were unfamiliar with Wimbledon or even care about an entirely American event.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jun 29, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

OctoberBlues posted:

Is there any doubt?
NFL anything would get better ratings than anything else. Hell, I'd at least put practice on in the background.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

the championships, wimbledon

I think you'll find those are the Aegon Championships at Queen's Club. :colbert:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FuzzySkinner posted:

Just posting to say how awesome Jeremy Schaap is.

He literally did a feature on NYT's crossword puzzlemaster and ping pong.

I'll be damned...I didn't think i'd be interested in EITHER, but he's such a masterful storyteller? He sucks you in.
There's a whole movie on WIll Shortz: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0492506/

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DJExile posted:

Sadly yes, and I have no doubt draftkings is going to buy another $4 billion in ad time or whatever the gently caress
Especially since they can legally operate in NY now. :negative:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I love Kornheiser but I'm sick of Wilbon. See: his article that black people don't care about analytics.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

LordPants posted:

My sole source of NFL news and views were his Monday Radio shows with the recap with the guy from the NFL network (Maske?) and then the Jaws prediction show on thursday.

I'm sad that I can't do that again this season. :(
Yes you can. He's doing the exact same radio show, just podcast only.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

xbilkis posted:

Dan Patrick just asked Tirico some question about his pocket square during the Olympics coverage, and Tirico said "you can have it for Football Night in America, if you want it." So I think he may not be happy with this turn of events
Tirico was never going to be on the Sunday Night coverage though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DJExile posted:

Ouch, what does that put them up against, Around the Horn?
Yep.

This is such a pretentious ad too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo66s3fHkRw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Peanut President posted:

Pro tip, they're both dumbfuck trolls who say poo poo to get people mad.
Unlike trolls, I think they actually believe what they say.