Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah seriously. I like Katie's show but that's real bad form. And it's possible the reporter hosed up and turned like a hypothetical thought into something she's actually shooting for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I really am liking the direction ESPN is going in.

They have a ton of really talented people still on air, And are giving a shots to other people they have who have previously just been backups or guests. If they get rid of Stephen A, then I might actually start watching ESPN again.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Jason Goff from 670 the Score is the goods.

http://sports.cbslocal.com/show/670-the-score/video-3427455-jason-goff-on-police-shootings-7-7-16/

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Timby posted:

Didn't Goff start off as a producer for Boers and Bernstein or Mike Murphy or something? God drat he's grown over the years.

Yeah, He was a producer for the Score since like 2001 or something did B&B from like 07 to 2011 or so. Went to ATL in like 2012 or so, and just recently came back to host the midday show in early 2015.

Vertical Lime posted:

It's less than a month until the Olympics

Time for a favorite pastime of the US'

https://twitter.com/jtannenwald/status/752570024330604544

https://twitter.com/jtannenwald/status/752570190877978624

Granted, they say most other things will be live

What is the loving point lol?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

MourningView posted:

The only "political" thing Bomani does is acknowledge that racism is a thing that exists and is bad, which does not really seem like a thing that should be considered a political stance. He's not on the radio ranting about rasing taxes on the rich or something

Anything I agree with is not political, anything I disagree with or am uncomfortable talking about is political.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Ok so hockey is out, baseball is out, local CFB is out, and some basketball people are out. But we need a 'brand expert'. Alrighty.

Yes.

Brand expert is a fancy name for someone who works with advertisers and advertising and considering the affiliate payou are going down the way they are, advertising is going to become even more important.

No one gives a gently caress about hockey, and those that do only care about their team and who their team is playing.

Baseball ditto to the regionality. Large numbers of fans only watch their team. I won't watch ESPN/FS1's baseball games unless the Cubs are playing

Local College football coverage is the same. Just need the SEC and people to cover some of the other conferences and you'll be fine. Bring in beat reporters from local papers to talk if important poo poo happens

NBA you just need to have a reporter for the major markets, and wherever Lebron or other mega superstars are playing and go from there.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

iospace posted:

I care about hockey in general, and being in Milwaukee means there's no local loyalty for me (though I seem to finally be gravitating to a team). :smith:

Anyway, I completely agree with the two winter sports and baseball being much more localized than the NFL, though that's probably something to do with schedule length than anything else. Hell, with the NFL you could probably move to a divisional reporter, then pay local reporters to help out with beat stuff, maybe reward them with an ATH appearance or something.

And you're a nobody, or I was being hyperbolic. but yeah that was mostly my point.

Most of these sports outside of Football(NFL and SEC and other Big Time College Football factories) are becoming super regionalized.

NBA is regionalized outside of the MVP caliber talents. Baseball and hockey suck at promoting their stars(or their stars don't want to be promoted), though Baseball is getting much better at it as they allow players to have more personality and fun without getting baseballs thrown at their heads.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Resturants aren't the worst idea in the world but you have to have competent management which is where it falls apart.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Lmao at Max Kellerman's face.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

:getin:

Cutler is actually pretty smart when it comes to football though. And was pretty funny those brief moments people saw him kinda open up about stuff in Chicago.

He could be really good at it.

https://twitter.com/JeffDarlington/status/860484453378011136

Dexo fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 5, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

ElwoodCuse posted:

Derek Jeter is the most overrated athlete of all time

I mean Tim Tebow. But sure.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I'm sure ESPN would be willing to void the contract if that person was able to find another job.

Until ESPN prevents someone, who they laid off who is seeking a new job, from seeking and getting a new job it's probably better for the employees that they are on contract and getting paid. While being able to relax and look for a job on their own pace.

but lmao if ESPN wants to take the PR hit by trying to enforce a non-compete on their former talent.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

I am so loving here for a Bomani Jones-Pablo Torre show

Same

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Just gonna leave this here

https://twitter.com/akarl_smith/status/865313383771459585

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

AsInHowe posted:

I feel like this might be why Katie Nolan has been kept off TV.

Holy poo poo.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Yeah most of what I've seen in regards to ratings were that total ratings were down. Which is obvious when you don't have a ton of games playoff games because sweeps and 5 game series. Not to mention the total count boost when you have a game seven of the conference finals or the actual finals.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 6, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Remove all Caps, remove all exceptions, Remove RFA and team options on Rookie scale contracts.

Remove the Draft(that won't happen), but barring that at least make the final 2 years of rookie scale deals arbitration deals.

Keep the Lux Tax as is. However add a rule that allows you if you drafted the player(or acquire them in the first 2 years or something), you can cut *insert percentage here* of whatever you are paying that player off of the salary that counts towards the Luxury tax (I'd have to actually think more to figure out a fair number here)

Or maybe limit it to one player per team, if they were drafted or not. I dunno.

If you trade that player the team acquiring them has their number count fully towards the tax.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/884227812009365504

Might get deleted but its beautiful.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

ElwoodCuse posted:

There's a TV news graphic that makes the rounds

MAN WHO GOT STABBED: "What are you going to do, stab me?"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/ESPNPR/status/893187643881771008

Hahahahaha sometimes you are alright ESPN

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/jerrythornton1/status/896025816148135936

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

tbh so is Skip on most social issues I have seen him speak on.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

FuzzySkinner posted:

I wish we lived in the universe where the "pony excess" skip was the real skip.

We need more quality journalists in the sports world. Not guys with hacky hot takes.

looking at the shape of most newsrooms in the country, Skip made the right decision.

It sucks. But yeah.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/rjasonscales/status/897243556041170944

So like did no body speak up and say this was a bad idea lol

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/900219648473522178

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

:thunk:

gently caress that uncle tom rear end bitch made dude

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Skip isn't even lovely. He's just annoying and obnoxious and obviously playing a role.

Whitlock is a bitchmade dude who is actively sabotaging social progress to shuck and jive for people.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/gifdsports/status/905294216632393728

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/TMZ_Sports/status/905441092602028036

Ahahahahahha

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/OTLonESPN/status/905479633658945536

Finally an NFL player is standing up (kneeling down?) For causes like police brutality.

I'm glad a hero like Michael Bennett is the first player to ever bring something like that up

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/908043698012909568

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

lmao these unfounded legal issues.

dog they have tapes and poo poo.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Hey guys one moment

*Takes massive hit*

What if ESPN knows what it's doing to promote their show and get (decent) people on the side of their host.

https://twitter.com/HeathEvans44/status/908036021714948096

Also

https://twitter.com/jemelehill/status/908173152370520064

"gently caress that bitch rear end Trump still tho"

Dexo fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 14, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Looooool

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Stick to Sports is generally Stick to sports unless it's something I agree with.

No one told JJ. Watt to stick to sports when he raised money for Hurricane relief(not saying it's a bad thing)

No one tells the NFL to stick to sports when they make comical amounts of money from the Breast Cancer "awareness" bullshit.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Cash Monet posted:

Stick To Sports is a lovely retort the vast majority of the time but this is the case for it. The TV president has picked a fight with your network and now people will you pick a side in the culture war.

It's never a good case to not stand up against the relatively rare actually literal infringements of the first amendment.(a president putting pressure on a company to fire someone for their speech is p much the exact definition)

gently caress being cowardly. You want to be cool, and rebrand all your shows to be more "urban" get more minorities watching ESPN, but when those people talk about what they see, and their problems, you simply try and bus toss them, at the president's whim, and then just say oh we'll find another negro to replace you.

ESPN can gently caress off.

Shout out to the other Black people at Bristol who were all going to quit before allowing ESPN to just replace Jemelle and Michael

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Sash! posted:

But there's a difference between that and you hiring him to fix your bathtub, only to treat you to ramblings about chemtrails and Jews.

People really want their escapism and football and hockey are mine. I'm watching them and reading about them so I can get a break from the bad stuff of the world.

The only time that stuff almost ever comes up is if they are talking about a sports related angle. Kaepernick, Sefalosha, etc etc.

Also sports has always always always been one of the main vessels for "politics" to reach the mainstream mostly moderate white folk

People who praised Ali for what he did when he died are bashing other stars of today for taking a stand.

Also you should realize that some people don't have the luxury of being able to to take a break or get their minds off the world as it's their world that is constantly having their rights and freedoms assaulted.

I hope this doesn't come off as an attack on you in particular or anything, I get using sports or entertainment as a distraction, but I firmly believe that those with a platform should use it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Thanks FTC almost definitely will

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

trem_two posted:

The fact Twitter turns into a non-stop Romo fellatio contest during games where he is in the booth is pretty loving annoying.

how dare people talk about how much they like his commentary.

the nerve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Niwrad posted:

She had to know in some capacity what would happen. The two rules they seem to have are you can't trash fellow employees or the NFL.

She literally never said to actually protest though, it was a relatively weak and cliche "protest via capitalism is the best way if you want to do it" that is like the first thing anyone says

https://twitter.com/TheWrap/status/917491782039986176

Also shouts to Michael Smith.

gently caress ESPN.