Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I mean.

Like, Like McAfee or not

Duh?

McAfee since Rodgers started doing weekly appearances or whatever has loving exploded in popularity.

Like the local radio station I listen to pays people to come on and talk about sports for various weekly segments. Millions, prooobably not, but gently caress if I know. But it provides more than whatever value they pay to get people into watching the show.

How is that some massive scandal lmao, a TV/YT show paying for a scheduled weekly appearance.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Starting to wonder if McAfee is just telling Rodgers to say as much stupid poo poo as possible to drive ratings up. I also believe Rodgers is a legit dumbass though, so maybe it doesn’t take much encouragement.

The story is that like Hawk/Pat are friends/cool with Rodgers, they asked him to come on the show, he said sure why not.

Those segments ended up doing very very well for Pat and like ended up helping him and his people get paid paid, and Pat decided then he was going to pay Rodgers back for his time, and pretty much forced Rodgers to take the check after Rodgers initially turned it down, by showing him just like how much money they made because of him.

That weekly segment is almost assuredly just Rodgers being a piece of poo poo and himself.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I'm not particularly shocked.

Baseball is like an incredibly regional sport.

I watch Cubs and White Sox games, but do not give a flying gently caress about watching teams that I don't root for.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Dinosaurs! posted:

Aren’t we all old as poo poo here? I don’t think we need to talk about The Man Show like it’s a barely-known relic. IIRC Kimmel was pretty contrite about that gig a while back. I don’t follow him, but if a 20 year old show is his only rear end in a top hat controversy I can believe he isn’t that guy anymore.

Edit: Of course posting this means he’ll definitely be on the logs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcSFXGW1w_E

Nah, I'm good.

gently caress Karl Malone. gently caress Jimmy Kimmel, and gently caress Aaron Rodgers.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Lockback posted:

Do people really believe "took a bad taste TV show job 25 years ago before they made it" is only 1 step away from "participates in sex trafficking"?

No. But I can hate both?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I think he doesn't care, because he has the leverage.

ESPN needs him more than he needs them.

If he gets bought out he gets bought out.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Simplex posted:

There're some assumptions about things that I would make 10 years ago, that me personally, I'm just not going to make anymore. I default to that if someone is showing you their rear end, there's no secret plan behind it.

As far as Kimmel I wouldn't think his first impulse is to go scorched Earth on everybody, but it's definitely a possibility if he's unhappy with how the situation is handled.

Which, to circle back to my first point, I'm not convinced McAfee actually understands what's going on here, and who's holding the cards. I don't know who the guest was on LeBatard's show, but he was raising the point that this is the example that was always given in media trainings. You can't go on air and call someone a pedophile. This is such a clear, black and white situation, that McAfee even trying to defend it is a problem.

Like I think people are misunderstanding something. That statement about people trying to take down his show. was not about this. It was about someone(the dude he mentioned) leaking false or misleading ratings numbers before the real ones that were actually fairly positive for his show.

The Pedophile accusations McAfee isn't *really* trying to defend it, as something that they should be able to do. He is trying to minimize it by saying, Oops sorry we like to have fun and make some jokes and this one went far or whatever. That's not particularly like a good apology or mea culpa or anything. But like he clearly put on his best sleeves and tried to squash it. And then ESPN themselves put out a formal apology. To try and keep from getting sued.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 6, 2024

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/DragonflyJonez/status/1034972469831127041

Never Forget

One of the best tweets ever.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Finally I don't have to hear ratings talk.

The least interesting thing to talk about when it comes to wrestling.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The benefit for breaks would be they don't have to have breaks if they won't want or when they don't want them.

They have more control over ads vs having to put an ad mid match because TV.

I wouldn't be surprised if instead we get more of the integrated advertising stuff. That WWE makes money off versus Netflix trying to make money off of ads.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 23, 2024

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Netflix has tiers with ads, I imagine they have to work that into the live show somehow.

I expect it to work like the Peacock shows.

Where they have an ad break between matches, and for non ad viewers they have hype reels for either the match, or a random popular wrestler on the card.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

The WWE model still perplexes me, the Network seemed a huge leap when it was first launched and the only thing it lacked was live/on demand RAW. Moving everything over to Peacock, which feels like it could fold at any time, except for Raw which is now going to a different paid network… all while Network seems to run fine in every other territory so it’s not like they don’t have to maintain it all anyway. I’m sure the books must make sense but it just seems so convoluted.

Everything is moving over to Netflix. Besides Smackdown which is going to go back to USA, and I guess NXT is on CW lol.

But all of the back catalog of Smackdown and NXT and everything else on the network is going to be put on Netflix, along with PPV's streaming there.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

The WWE Network will be on Netflix outside of the US. Peacock's deal with WWE isn't up for another year, IIRC.

oh I was talking when the deal starts.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I did not. What did Vince do this time?

https://archive.is/2024.01.25-16582...-quiet-0b19b21c

It's probably worth reading yourself, but uh it's real bad :nms:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

cable is back baby

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

You could tell once Romo got further and further from playing he like doesn't prepare and hasn't gotten any better.

Early on he extremely relied on him playing recently to be able to easily guess what was coming and information.

Compare him to like Greg Olsen who I think does a loving amazing job, it's a travesty Tom is kicking him out of the number one job.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Yeah, I hate most of the people the NBA has on it's flagship shows because like they don't actually seem to like the modern NBA.

I'm fine with people being critical or whatever, but don't make people dumber. Get people who can explain why something is happening or why it's a mistake,but don't opine about the "good old days" or whatever.

Talk about the game that's infront of you.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Pat won lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Wild what happens when a sport is like actually treated as real and not a sideshow