Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

You want to hear something Joe Buck-related that's jarring because it's unfamiliar, but actually sort of cool at the same time?

http://youtu.be/3HD_dHuPr-I?t=1m25s

Also, in case anybody pokes their head in the NASCAR thread and doesn't get why we bitch about coverage, here's a rundown on the ins and outs of NASCAR broadcast teams and who's who:

NASCAR on FOX (first 13 Sprint Cup of the season; all Camping World Truck Series races thanks to FS1):
Sprint Cup-
Booth: Mike Joy (PBP), Darrell Waltrip, Larry McReynolds
-Joy has been around NASCAR since the 1970s and is quite good at what he does. He can also be seen during the Barrett-Jackson classic car auctions on FS1/FS2 and knows a fuckton about cars.
-Darrell Waltrip is a three-time Sprint Cup champion and, for better or worse, loves racing. Some fans have grown tired of his BOOGITY BOOGITY BOOGITY shtick. Fills FOX's quota for "Resident Danica Patrick Apologist".
-Larry McReynolds was Dale Earnhardt's crew chief when he finally won the Daytona 500. He also won the 500 with Davey Allison in 1992. Has a thick Alabama accent, which people have complained about over the years (get the gently caress over it).

Pit Road: Steve Byrnes, Jeff Hammond ("roving reporter"), Krista Voda, Matt Yocum

Hollywood Hotel (pre/post-race, in-race updates): Chris Myers, Michael Waltrip
-Myers was a stick-and-ball guy who has seemed to find a genuine appreciation for racing since coming onto the scene as a NASCAR rookie in '01.
-Waltrip the Younger needs to get back in the car so we don't have to hear from him.

Camping World Truck Series-
Booth: Rick Allen (PBP), Phil Parsons, Michael Waltrip/Todd Bodine
-Allen is an underrated PBP guy and, if I remember right, was the PA announcer for the U of Nebraska football team. He was also the PBP guy for FOX's B-teams when FX had the Busch Series in its first TV deal.
-Parsons is the younger brother of Cup champ and former color guy Benny Parsons (RIP) and is equally underrated. Explains things without being too cutesy.
-Waltrip the Younger needs to get back in the car so we don't have to hear from him.

Pit Road: Ray Dunlap, Hermie Sadler, Bob Dillner/Krista Voda
__
NASCAR on TNT (Sprint Cup only, six-race "Summer Series")
Booth: Adam Alexander, Wally Dallenbach, Jr., Kyle Petty, Larry McReynolds (infield)
-Alexander has worked his way up from being a track announcer at Peanut President's local dirt track to the Sprint Cup level. Became PBP guy after Bill Weber was fired and became a magician (I am not making this up.) Does a good job.
-Dallenbach didn't have much success in NASCAR, but is an expert road/sports car racer and is willing to call a driver out for something notably stupid.
-Petty goes against NASCAR's "Promote Danica At All Costs" agenda, calling her out for the ball of suck she is and also does a good job of not mincing words with what goes on on track.

Pit road: Chris Neville, Ralph Sheheen, Marty Snider, Matt Yocum
-I met Sheheen flying home after the Coke Zero 400 this summer and can confirm he's a really cool guy. He's a diverse guy who also calls motocross, superbikes, and World of Outlaws sprint cars.
_
NASCAR on ESPN (Last 17 Cup races, all Nationwide races)
Booth (A-team): Allen Bestwick, Dale Jarrett, Andy Petree
-Bestwick is a guy that loves everything to do with NASCAR and seems to find genuine enjoyment in what he does. Veteran of MRN Radio, TBS, NBC/TNT. Something's hosed in the world if he's not NBC's guy in 2015.
-Jarrett follows in his dad's footsteps at ESPN, moving to the booth after retiring in 2008. Does a decent job, prone to Danica Patrick cheerleading.
-Petree was Dale Earnhardt's crew chief and a car owner for several years. So yeah.

Pit road (A-team): Dr. Jerry Punch, Dave Burns, Jamie Little, Vince Welch
-Punch has been calling NASCAR races off and on since the late '80s/early '90s, even making a cameo appearance in Days of Thunder. He's a connection to "the good ol' days" and didn't miss a beat between 2000 and 2007. Original PBP guy when ESPN regained rights before they shook things up the first time.
-Little used to ride motocross and parlayed that into working pit road for ESPN somehow.

ESPN Pit Studio (pre/in/post-race, think Hollywood Hotel for ESPN): Nicole Briscoe, Rusty Wallace, Brad Daugherty, Ray Evernham
-Briscoe is bad. Just bad.
-Wallace isn't much better. Was in the booth before Jarrett retired.
-Daugherty is, in fact, the former NBA All-Star who loves him some NASCAR. Part owner of a team.
-Evernham was Jeff Gordon's crew chief from 1993-99. Later formed his own team and started banging a redheaded sprint car racer who made a miserable attempt at a NASCAR career on Ray's dime.

Booth (B-team, when Cup and Nationwide separate): Marty Reid, Ricky Craven or Ken Schrader
-Reid has been the voice of IndyCar on ESPN since 2006, where he cheered really, blatantly hard for Danica Patrick. Shifted over to NASCAR in time for Patrick's arrival in 2010. Continued slobbering. Was replaced by Bestwick on Cup races in 2011 and still does lower series races.
-Craven was a promising up-and-comer plagued by concussions in his career. Underrated in the booth.
-Schrader is your drunk uncle at the family barbeque who owns. Makes occasional appearances in NASCAR, but still runs lots of dirt track races. Is missing a thumb from a racing accident.

Pit road: Mike Massaro, Shannon Spake, Rick DeBruhl
-The first two find their way onto Sprint Cup broadcasts when other pit reporters do IndyCar.
-Spake is pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

FOX Sports 1 moved a live NASCAR Modified race to FS2 so FOX Football Daily could air. (The race was a staple of SPEED's coverage at Bristol.) I know this shouldn't surprise me, but doesn't it feel inherently wrong to have a god drat talk show air over live sports?

The only thing that's grating to me about the LLWS coverage is the inevitably bad music they use for their montages (but what can you do) and the 12 year old they have doing billboards going into commercials.

shyduck posted:

What else is ESPN gonna broadcast in July/August though? There's only so many studio shows they can repeat with the same garbage.

Good point. If it comes down to LLWS vs. "TIM TEBOW LEBRON AHHHH :fap:", I take the former any day.

BasicFunk posted:

I think I'm bothered less by their LLWS coverage than I am when they start covering high school football and basketball. I can't really explain why, but ESPN covering high school sports bothers the hell out of me.

I agree with this. It bugs me that any network is taking the time to show hype the hell out of Miami St. Ignatius taking on Los Angeles Prep Academy.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

ESPN had a rollerblade-based, beachside hockey league that aired in 2000. They should have that.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

e- Am I the only one that feels like for all the love FOX gave FS1, they seemed to do an equally bad job of promoting FS2? It seems like some people forget it was also launched.

I like AA, but that article got under my skin. "Let's pull all the comments from pissed off rednecks about how their channel was turned into FOX's ESPN and tell them 'but you got several hours of air time on its first day, so shut up'".

I can do without the racing studio shows and even stuff like Truck Series practice, and the scripted reality that infected Speed toward the end like R U Faster Than A Redneck was horrific, but when there's an unusual race on one of the most popular tracks on the circuit on a Wednesday (Whelen Modified Series at Bristol), pre-empt your football talk show so we can get our fix without having to pay $9 extra a month for one channel. Then, when the Truck race ends surprisingly early and you have an hour to fill, don't show the same football show over again. Air the Modified race, which I guess only lasted 1:20.

If nothing else, air it at 3am, because there's no sense whatsoever to have 14 hours straight of FOX Sports Live (this happened).

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 23, 2013

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Ever wondered how The Worldwide Leader creates and manipulates your favorite NCAA football team's schedule in an attempt to generate money, ratings, hype, and drama?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/25/sports/ncaafootball/college-footballs-most-dominant-player-its-espn.html?ref=sports&_r=0

Stanford/Oregon this year, along with the Classics to start the season, are ESPN creations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Wow. :roflolmao:

I wonder how many people have no idea what AA is.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

FuzzySkinner posted:

There's also a few "washouts" who indeed can be good analysts.

Sam Posey is a guy that did IndyCar color commentary during the 80's, and 90's. His career in the sport was less than spectacular to say the least (popular writer Robin Miller even said, "He talked more than he ever drove), but he was excellent in the booth. His knowledge and enthusiasm of auto racing made him an excellent commentator. Here's what he does now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PjspoYmUc0

Jon Beekhuis is another one of those guys. He only raced in 15 Indy races in his career. He made a move to be a pit guy, and his knowledge of the technical side of the sport is pretty incredible. He even has the nickname "Professor B".

Compare that to Mario Andretti, who was an amazing driver, but just flat out awful in the booth.

This must be a racing thing, as here are several more who didn't do much in "major" levels of racing, but are great on TV:
-Wally Dallenbach, Jr. (Didn't do much in NASCAR, but a multiple time Rolex 24 winner & SCCA Trans-Am champ).
-Dorsey Schroeder (Trans-Am champ)
-Calvin Fish (open wheel)
-Brian Till (CART, ran the '95 Indy 500)
-Chris Neville (thought I saw he was a driver as well.

The latter four have been mainstays of Rolex Series coverage on Speed/FS1 and are awesome.

e- Till is versatile enough to slide into the PBP seat if needed.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 6, 2013

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

MourningView posted:

To be fair is anything on that channel aside from football and live UFC a draw?

Vertical Lime posted:

Just like how NBC Sportsnet only has hockey, Olympic stuff when it's on and maybe EPL as draws. That's what happens when only the ESPN channels gets any ratings for non-event stuff.

Both might get a boost sooner than later if ESPN and TNT bail on NASCAR a year early, as has been rumored.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

BIZORT posted:

Off topic but speaking of Awful Announcing, have any of you heard their podcast? I listened to it for the first time the other day with Jay Bilas and the guy on there has the nerdiest, most effeminate voice. I couldn't listen to it and I have a hard time even reading that site now. His voice sounds like Gendo's kji impersonation

The only one I've ever heard was the one with Doc Emrick (maybe the Gus Johnson one, too) and, yeah, I know what you're talking about.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

In case anybody's looking for a strange crossover in broadcasting, NASCAR on ESPN PBP voice Allen Bestwick is calling the Boise State game this weekend. Saturday night, 10:15pm Eastern on ESPN2.

Bestwick did a few Arena Football League games on NBC as I recall, so he won't be too far out of his element. Plus, AB owns.

Crazy Ted posted:

Sounds like we need to dredge up that old goon-made one.

I have to hear this.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

If anybody's into bobsledding, Leigh Diffey could make a reading of the phone book own hard, so you're set there.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Whatever was on ESPNNEWS was really cool and felt like a DVD commentary for a football game. The thing on ESPN2 with Johnny Manziel talking about some guy's abs (this did happen) felt like a bit of a cluster.

Ace Jameson posted:

Speaking of HBO Sports, "State of Play: Trophy Kids" premiered like a month ago but I didn't see it until the other day. Basically it follows four psychopath parents who push their kids way too hard to succeed at sports. It's a really uncomfortable watch, particularly when the football kid's father is berating his son in the car (two separate times).

This is the trailer where Peter Berg explains a bit more about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqIvsMZhuz8&t=645s

I don't mind the tough love, rub-some-dirt-on-it attitude in sports because I do feel like it serves a purpose at times, but a lot of this straight up mental abuse.

There are some vile people (I call them "civic parents") on this planet. I know a guy in my hometown who desperately wanted his son to be a high school starting QB. When he didn't get the middle school starting job, he was moved to another school, then another, then another, until he finally wound up at a school where he probably only made it because they needed a QB.

Also, one of the football coaches from a local school had twins a few years ago with his girlfriend. It's been widely said that he doesn't want anything to do with the daughter because she'll never play football.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

NBC added another piece to its 2015-2024 NASCAR team today, and it continues to look like they're throwing poo poo against a wall to see what sticks.

Here's what's been put together so far:

Play-by-play: Rick Allen. Been PBP for Speed/FS1's Truck series coverage since 2003. Also did a handful of events when FOX needed a B-team during the 2001-2006 TV deal. He does a good job despite being a little overly excitable and feeling the need to count the laps remaining down, but it's already an abomination and a crime that Allen Bestwick did not get this gig.

Color (driver): Jeff Burton. No TV experience save for a few IROC races for ESPN in the early 2000s, but he's well-spoken and "The Mayor of NASCAR". Had a decent driving career, but nothing overly spectacular. He'll probably do alright.

Announced today is their color guy who was once a crew chief: Former Jeff Gordon and current Dale Earnhardt, Jr. crew chief Steve Letarte. Letarte won several races with Gordon in the late 2000s and should've won the championship in 2007 (gently caress the Chase). Also ended Junyer's four-year winless streak at Michigan in 2012. As a crew chief, though, he's quite prone to gently caress-ups, including costing Gordon the race at Las Vegas in 2010 by taking two tires when four was the obvious call on the final pit stop.

So yeah, this race fan isn't overly excited and I'm hoping the rest of this doesn't suck.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

AsInHowe posted:

As someone who doesn't watch Family Guy or most anything on TV other than sports, all I can think of is all of those named shows that were hyped beyond belief on MLB playoff telecasts in the last decade.

Bob's Burgers and Allen Gregory saw lots of promotion during NFL on FOX games prior to their premieres. As Martytoof and any others that posted in the Allen Gregory thread on TVIV way back when can tell you, despite Joe Buck or Kenny Albert telling me it was something to watch, we all hated the show three minutes in.

And then kept watching because apparently we all hate ourselves and were sucked into Jonah Hill's borderline offensive awfulness.

(Bob's Burgers also sucks.)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Mahoning posted:

Sports Time Ohio is a pretty decent channel, since it was independent it has a lot of original programming and HS sports. The other two are absolute garbage except for Reds games. I can't speak for Blue Jackets or Cavs games though because I don't care.

CBJ coverage on FSO is fine. Bill Davidge is a bit grating, but Jeff Rimer is cool because he's one of those people that has already forgotten more about hockey than I'll ever know. Plus, they're working Jody Shelley in as an Inside The Glass guy for some games and he's really drat good. They've also gone in just a few years from showing 75 games a year with just a handful in HD to covering the whole season not taken by NBC/NBCSN in SPECTACULAR high definition.

I'm bitter about STO being taken over by FOX because they kicked Pro Wrestling Ohio/PRIME Wrestling off the network for "not being a part of their desired programming portfolio". I don't get my hour of awful local wrestling anymore. :(

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

MourningView posted:

wait do I need to like bob costas now

It...appears that way? :psyduck:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

axeil posted:

NBC's Olympic coverage is garbage and I hate it. Screw showing sports or anything, let's focus on these pointless human-interest stories. Oh, Americans aren't expected to do well in this event and you want to watch it? Tough poo poo, have some more awkward Bode Miller interviews.

Speaking of that, the Bode Miller interview the other night was nothing short of gross.

"Bode, you won the bronze. Is this for your brother?"
"Well...I..." :unsmith:
"You keep looking to the sky. Are you looking for Chilly in heaven?"
(Progressively more difficulty fighting back tears) "I just wanted t--" :smith:
"Your brother is DEAD, Bode. Dead. D-e-a-d Dead."
:cry:
"....sorry..."

It's almost like there was a producer beating off going "Make him cry. Come on CRYYYYYYYY. YESSSSSSS!"

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

ESPN stole the basic premise behind Tosh.0's Web Redemption and made it into their own segment, called Awesome Video.

Tosh was not happy and obliterated The Worldwide Leader accordingly:
http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/tosh-0-shreds-espn-stealing-web-redemption-series.html

:killdozer:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I got the feeling Tosh was more calling ESPN out on their BS because he's tired of it like many others are than trying to be funny.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

In case anybody cares, NASCAR has a new TV deal this season. Here's an effortpost I did for the NASCAR thread (if you don't lurk/post there) detailing what's new:

NASCAR ON TV

In case you missed it, this is the first year of NASCAR's new TV deal for the Sprint Cup and Xfinity aka NXS aka INXS Series. TNT and ESPN are gone and we go back to the future, reverting to something reminiscent of 2001-2006. FOX and FOX Sports 1 (FS1) cover the first halves of the season for both series, as well as the entire Camping World Truck Series schedule. Starting with the Coke Zero 400 at Daytona, NBC and NBCSN take you to the finish. NBCSN will have the majority of the races for the K&N East and West Series, as well as Whelen Modifieds, on tape delay.

FOX and FS1 continue to carry the entire CWTS schedule, but with an overhauled on-air team. Bob Dillner and Ray Dunlap are gone, replaced by Vince Welch, Kaitlyn Vincie, and Matt Yocum on a rotating basis.

-

Sprint Cup:
Booth- Mike Joy, Larry McReynolds, Darrell Waltrip
Pits- Jamie Little, Chris Neville, Matt Yocum
Hollywood Hotel- Chris Myers, Michael Waltrip (except the Daytona 500)
Roving Reporter?- Jeff Hammond?
Rules Expert- Andy Petree

The Cup team remains largely the same. Little comes over from FOX, presumably to replace Krista Voda. More on her later. Chris Neville of FOX's sports car coverage comes to NASCAR pit road from TNT.

Andy Petree is a late addition, being the NASCAR equivalent of Mike Pereira. I wish him luck finding a copy of the NASCAR Rulebook, because if you're unfamiliar with NASCAR, it's unclear if one even exists and how Petree will be able to interpret it.

I haven't seen what's up with Jeff Hammond. Rumor was he was out.

Xfinity:
Booth- Adam Alexander, Michael Waltrip, Jeff Gordon/Kevin Harvick/Brad Keselowski (rotating)
Pits- Vince Welch, Jamie Little, Chris Neville, Matt Yocum

This was kept secret until a couple weeks ago. TNT and FOX vet Adam Alexander gets the call along with Michael Waltrip for all Xfinity races. The big surprise comes in the form of the third man in the booth, revealed to be a rotating cast of Jeff Gordon, Kevin Harvick, and Bad Brad hisself.

Vince Welch from ESPN joins the regular pit reporters for Xfinity and Truck races.

Trucks:
Booth- Steve Byrnes* (Mike Joy/Adam Alexander/Brian Till rotating interim), Phil Parsons, Michael Waltrip
Pits- Hermie Sadler, Kaitlyn Vincie/Vince Welch/Matt Yocum (rotating)

This one's detailed. Steve Byrnes will be the lead announcer on the CWTS broadcasts eventually. Unfortunately his cancer relapsed, so he's been fighting that and is nearing the end of treatment and his return is unknown. Until then, Joy, Alexander (who replaced Rick Allen last year), and sportscar pit reporter/PBP guy/former IndyCar driver Brian Till will take turns at the mic.

Hermie Sadler will be the only permanent pit reporter. Bob Dillner and Ray Dunlap are gone. Welch, Yocum, and NASCAR RaceHub cutie (and according to Boomer, knowledgeable host) Kaitlyn Vincie will tap in.

-
Sprint Cup:
Booth- Rick Allen, Jeff Burton, Steve Letarte
Pits- Dave Burns, Mike Massaro, Marty Snider, Kelli Stavast
Hosts- Krista Voda, Kyle Petty, Dale Jarrett (selected races)

Allen Bestwick said on the Awful Announcing podcast that he was offered the gig and declined because ESPN offered him a more diverse package of sports to work, including golf, tennis, basketball, football, and the Indy 500. So they picked up former CWTS PBP voice Rick Allen. Taking a new direction with color analysts, Jeff Burton and former Jeff Gordon/Dale Jr crew chief Steve Letarte will get the call. I heard these guys call the Toyota Gridiron Challenge which was a thing on TV last week and, to borrow a phrase from Benny Parsons on NBC..."not too good"...

Dave Burns and Mike Massaro come over from ESPN. Burns was on NBC the first time around, as was Marty Snider. Kelli Stavast used to do sports cars on SPEED & is an IndyCar pit reporter.

NBC's pre- and post-race hosts will be Krista Voda (ex-FOX), Kyle Petty, and the recently-added Dale Jarrett, who will work select races.

Xfinity B-team (non-companion events):
Booth- Leigh Diffey?
Pits- ?

NBCSN will need a B-team for a handful of non-companion Xfinity races in their half of the season. Where they go with this, nobody's said. I asked NBC's IndyCar/F1 voice Leigh Diffey on Twitter last fall if he'd be involved and he said it was possible, depending on schedule.
__
People from the last TV deal you won't see on either network- Allen Bestwick (ESPN :(), Rusty Wallace (MRN), Ricky Craven (ESPN), Dr. Jerry Punch (ESPN), Shannon Spake (ESPN), Brad Daugherty (ESPN), Nicole Briscoe (ESPN), Ralph Sheheen (Motocross on FS1).

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Fanatics has a lot of money but that would be really dumb of them since those networks are not profitable.

Would that mean the betting lines on the scoring bug would be replaced by "2:51:05 LEFT TO ENTER CODE GOJACKETS42069 FOR 35% OFF ON MERCH"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Speaking of gambling, ESPN is promoting gambling as a big fun element of Slamball to the point that their sideline reporter spends part of the broadcast spewing lines and odds.

Here I was thinking we were already at peak obnoxiousness with sports betting promotion. Imagine blowing your kid's college fund because the Fury were +595, man!