Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I thought Skip Prosser was a Wake Forest BBall coach who died a couple years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

So who are people talking about? Was Skip Prosser a notorious pundit before he got into coaching or something?

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I legitimately don't know why people draw a line between watching something like NASCAR or video games in terms of whether ESPN should cover it. Both involve no athleticism by the participants, just hand-eye coordination, reflexes, strategy etc. In one event a person controls a car, in the other a person controls an avatar. You have to be a special type of insufferable to complain about video games but simultaneously be okay with poker and NASCAR and bowling and even the spelling bee.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I hope the NBA Player's Association similarly gets involved to put pressure on Cowherd's next employer the next time he accuses a NBA player of being a bad leader because he grew up in a single parent household without a father.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Zach Lowe has the best job he could probably hope to have. He has the freedom to write his niche "analytical" pieces without needing to whore out for page-views or appeal to mainstream sports fans. He is also probably paid better than any other site that would allow him to write the pieces he writes. Disclaimer: This might change soon as ESPN likely starts striping Grantland down.

So It Goes fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 2, 2015

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Is there even a reason why Bill Simmons wanted to do a tv show? Is it something HBO wanted him to do?

Like, I am just so not interested in experiencing Bill Simmons through TV. I wouldn't even be uninterested if someone straight up ripped the audio from the show and released it as a podcast I could listen to as I drive to work or jog. But I don't really get why something that is best consumed through a podcast format you can listen on-the-go is being presented as something to watch on TV. I haven't even seen the show but it's just interviews right? So you're just looking at people sitting on couchs? Why does he need a visual medium to do his shtick if it doesn't add anything worth caring about visually? They should just be podcasts.

When something is a tv show, it needs to meet a higher standard of quality because it is more actively taking up your free time to sit down and watch it; as opposed to reading articles at work/school/in the bathroom, or consuming podcasts while doing other tasks. It doesn't surprise me at all Simmons isn't able to meet that bar. Again, I'd listen to these Any Given Wednesday interviews as a podcast, but you just are not going to get me to sit down and actively watch Bill Simmons talk to people on tv.

Also, Deflategate is such an awful topic at this point. Jesus Christ, he needs to let it go if he doesn't have anything new to say about it.

So It Goes fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jul 30, 2016

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

Sports journalism is the biggest scam. The Niners scored 2 fewer offensive points aka the same, but is anyone talking about how their offense is "legit"? :rolleyes:

What a stupid complaint. Are you saying articles must 50/50 discuss both teams after a game result or else sports journalism is a sham? The only thing I can infer from that post is I would guess you are probably an annoyed 49ers fan.

Save the outrage for the inevitable articles coming up claiming any team that lost whose players didn't come out for the anthem is proof that athletes should stick to sports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Imagine if ESPN hadn’t cancelled that pardon my take show. They would have been perpetually bombarded to have a response to stuff like this.