Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?
I think I'm bothered less by their LLWS coverage than I am when they start covering high school football and basketball. I can't really explain why, but ESPN covering high school sports bothers the hell out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

MaoistBanker posted:

Fox Sports Live is really enjoyable so far, although I have to wonder if the panel segments are going to become untenable since one has to wait sometimes up to 7-9 minutes to see highlights. If they decide that's the case, it's hardly going to be worth paying Andy Roddick the money to sit and chime in once an hour. However, the highlights ARE far superior to SportsCenter. They show everything, whether it be horse racing, UFC, La Liga matches - they even had a goddamned KHL (Russia's NHL run by criminals) fight highlight.

The only thing I don't really like about Fox Sports Live is all the stuff they try to pack onto the screen. I guess they're trying to be different from other highlight shows, but I wouldn't mind if they went to just a "rundown" on the side and a ticker at the bottom. I can do without all the factoids and poo poo.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

Anals of History posted:

Had the misfortune to listen to Cowherd belt out his own version of "Sweet Caroline" trying to mock Josh Bennett after Boston media decided they should care about his golf game. It was the most miserable, cringe-worthy skit possible. Felt levels of embarrassment that I thought I left behind in middle school. Twenty-two minutes of that sounds like Hell on Earth.

That show and that format should have gone to Bomani Jones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBeXkYSzXzw

I would watch a TV show that was nothing but Bomani Jones talking about poo poo. If FS1, NBCSN, really wanted to challenge ESPN, they'd give this man an hour of TV time every night.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

Peanut President posted:

Can you even do an EAS test on pay-per-view?

I'm pretty sure they can. When they do an EAS test, it goes on whatever channel you're on at the time, and will stay on even when you switch channels.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

I remember seeing Stuart on WRAL back in the day and when he got to ESPN, I thought it was cool to see the local guy hit the big time. It was kind of a big deal for me to hear a guy on Sportscenter talking the way my friends and I would talk to each other. It didn't sound like a guy being told by his producers to be more "urban", it was real. Thanks for keeping it real, Stu.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MMreEzkwBI

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

Niwrad posted:

Wilbon begging to be friends with athletes has to be one of the more pathetic things going on at ESPN. Sad the company hires sycophants desperate for athlete acceptance instead of actual journalists.

I guess they think that being buddy buddy with athletes gets them the "inside scoop" and the kind of access they need to do special interviews, 30 for 30 specials, and such.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

drat Bob! Did he spit on your mama or something?

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

leokitty posted:

Pairings are important, though. Michael Kay is almost tolerable when Singleton and/or Cone are around and completely trash garbage awful otherwise. Part of why Buck is so bad with baseball is he gets paired with people who flat out loving suck.

e: You can see this in the ESPN sunday night baseball booth too, with how Kruk transforms everyone into awful and Kruk+Schilling somehow makes that even worse

Jon Miller made Joe Morgan somewhat tolerable.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

Vertical Lime posted:

I think he said he never wanted to be on CBS Sports Net.

I don't know why he didn't move to MSG to begin with, they never have conflicts.

edit: Also, since he's out of football again, Tebow's back with the SEC Network:

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/09/09/tim-tebow-sec-nation-sec-network-espn

I really enjoyed Tebow's TV work. I'd like to see him get a shot at doing color for some games.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

Groucho Marxist posted:

He's fine on studio stuff but I can't imagine him being that good at color commentary

I think he'd be better than a few folks with high profile gigs. Both NFL and NCAA.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

Ribsauce posted:

The '85 Bears probably gets canonzied more than the Dolphins. You really only hear about the Dolphins when the media is forced to talk about them (like when the last undefeated team loses or a team gets to say 13-0) where you hear about the '85 Bears randomly all the time. For example, after the Panthers lost this year you won't hear about the '72 Dolphins again until either a team is undefeated through like week 12 or the last undefeated team loses.

I think part of the reason you hear more about the '85 Bears is because 4 former players from that team have coaching jobs. Then you add in Ditka being on ESPN, and the Sons of Buddy living it up in Buffalo, and you see how that team still has a presence in today's league. Maybe it's because 1972 is a little before my time, but the only link to that team I can think of is Mike Shula.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

Barney Hall, the voice of NASCAR on the radio, passed away at age 83.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ontent=20160127

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

C. Everett Koop posted:

I'm annoyed that ESPN fades the score bar in and out during plays on MNF and it's like #85,313,495,105 on the list of things to be annoyed about but dammit I am.

ESPN seems obsessed with whooshy, glowy poo poo. When they started doing HD, it seemed like every graphic had to "whoosh" when it came up. It's like whoever is in charge of their graphics and sound effects is trying to keep themselves occupied.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

Spoeank posted:

If he's that insane about toast I'm genuinely curious how he hasn't murdered Phil Simms on air yet.

Going by the sound of his voice, Xanax.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

DJExile posted:

that basically makes him one of those assholes who can't tell enough people about how they don't have a TV

Not really, I don't get into a lot of fictional work, but I still watch plenty of TV. Cowherd is just a piece of poo poo.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

Crazy Ted posted:

A very underrated sports broadcasting moment from this week:

On MLB Opening Day whoever the SportsCenter anchor was responded to a Bryce Harper home run with "There hasn't been a man from Washington to light up Atlanta like this since General Sherman!"

Honestly, I feel like the Atlanta/burnt/Sherman jokes are overused. It seems to pop up every time an Atlanta team loses at something.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

Benne posted:

Gruden is one of the few NFL announcers who sounds like he actually enjoys watching football. Nearly everyone else working today is so humorless or self-serious about THE NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE, that Gruden's wide-eyed, knee-slapping "AIN'T THAT THE CRAZIEST PLAY" is almost a breath of fresh air.

In this thread making fun of hot takes, I'll make a take of my own: Jon Gruden is the Madden successor we've been waiting for.

I agree. Gruden seems to find at least a little joy in even the worst games, and he gives less informed fans enough info to make games enjoyable, much like Madden did.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

I'm not watching someone play cards or video games on TV. I'm a grumpy old poo poo.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

Timby posted:

This is why Hannity & Colmes was so popular.

Alan Colmes was set up to look like a jobber.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

So am I right in thinking that The Championships, Wimbledon is the Daytona 500 of tennis?

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

DJExile posted:

please show some respect and refer to The 500, Daytona by its proper name.

Bless you.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

Peanut President posted:

Are you pronouncing it as Five Hundred, Daytona or Fie Hunner, Daytoner?

Fie Hunnit.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

There's also already a Netflix documentary about the no-no and the aftermath of what Dock does now (he's a drug counselor!) did. I'd actually love to see a doc about addiction in sports in general though, since the OP brought up Steve Howe and the '86 Mets as well
Dock Ellis died in 2008.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

I didn't pay much attention to the ALCS, so could someone please explain this to me?

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

Oh my drat! I don't claim to know all about TV production, but that kind of loving up takes effort.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

Sash! posted:

"Last night I was sitting on the porch when the dog ran right through the screen door--

--here's the 2-2 pitch, its a high breaking ball....and ball three--

--so now the wife is on me to replace the door before her sister visits."

Every baseball radio broadcast ever

Ya know, that's one of the things I like about baseball. I don't think I realized that until I read your post.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

Benne posted:

Frank Isola is basically every stereotype of a smarmy New York sportswriter you can think of

I call him "Plaschke East".

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

Crazy Ted posted:

Sage Steele is mixed race (one black parent, one white parent) and having cousins who are similarly mixed race I can tell you that poo poo gets complicated.

HOWEVER...Steele seems to be a bit of a starfucker who doesn't care about much aside from bright lights. She caught some poo poo a couple of years ago when she yanked the mic away from that dude from Arcade Fire after the end of the Celebrity All-Star Game because he decided to get political (honestly it was pretty funny), and then earlier this year she caught a massive amount of poo poo because she complained that the protests over Donald Trump's OG immigration Executive Order meant she had to walk her luggage into LAX by hand.

It's the latter that's pretty much the reason why you're seeing the Twitter reaction that Troy Queef posted.

She also got lovely over the whole national anthem protest. That's why she's not invited to the cookout.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

C. Everett Koop posted:

When the Panthers made the super bowl I remember an article about their Spanish radio broadcast and how popular it was or something like that. Never hurt anyone to reach out to an untapped demographic.

Spanish broadcasters make everything awesome!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gpf-A_Axpg

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

iospace posted:

So, the highly essential but even more so under appreciated parts of the game?

Also the things he never had in Chicago.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

Vertical Lime posted:

At this point the NFL promotes Thursday night games more than Monday night games, so it's not that bad of a gig

Another good Tirico moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9necA_prVM

Every time I hear this call, it sounds like he almost forgot he was on TV and had to keep himself for saying "OHH poo poo!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYpwjB0IzoU

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

DJExile posted:

Yeah i'm hoping there was more context to it because I've largely heard Howie's a solid guy. Negative motivation is 100% A Thing among high-strung athletes though, and that could just have been old habits for Howie

That's what it sounded like to me. They've worked together so long, I'm sure they know where the line is between motivation and dickishness.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

Dexo posted:

:thunk:

gently caress that uncle tom rear end bitch made dude

This motherfucker...
I hope he gets in some kind of legal trouble and tries to do what OJ and Michael Jackson did and look to black folks for support, but instead of embracing him, we reject his Uncle Tom rear end.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

Jackie D posted:

Sage would have done it

"The NEW SportsCenter at 6 with Sage Steele and Stacey Dash. They're black too."

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

edit: Jason Whitlock has been featured, and oh my god I see what y'all say about him

I hate that Uncle Tom mothefucker.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

Boosh! posted:

I think that's Lupica who farted.

Yeah, Lupica farted. You can see his face tense up as his body deflates a little.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

Number one show in late night, ballbags!

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

He was the voice heard in many North Carolina classrooms during the ACC tournament. We all hurt a little today. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

Rob out here dressed like a preacher.