Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Benne posted:

God I wish I had ESPN News on my cable package. That live tape breakdown sounds awesome.

I know I have it but I have no loving clue what channel it's on. I will most assuredly be watching that version, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

DJExile posted:

I'm gonna give Matt a little benefit of the doubt here because last night he was better than anything he's done in the booth in the last 8 years. He's still not spectacular or anything but he seemed pretty comfortable and more in his element.

He did okay except he kept pointing to the screen instead of using his telestrator which got on my nerves

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

DJExile posted:

I'd really love to see the Film Room idea expanded to other sports because it has an absolute shitload of potential, especially for big NBA playoff games, the upcoming World Cup, etc.

The only thing with the NBA is that because the pace is so quick that you can't really break down a play without missing three or four others in the process.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

This is his extra time. They don't give a poo poo about right now. They care about him being ready for the 2018 World Cup, which is why he's doing all of this poo poo now.

He is a loving disaster at boxing though

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

ElwoodCuse posted:

Definitely Nantz because of the Masters

I get the impression that Bob Costas at least watches and enjoys lots of sports. I think Nantz lives only for golf

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Bob Costas' gross face and everything being on tape delay are a good 1-2 punch to get me to skip the Olympics. He looks like a stoned child molester.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

wait do I need to like bob costas now

He seems pretty likable when he's not on the TV

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

FuzzySkinner posted:

Alright.

I respect Ice Skating. I think it requires a great deal of athletic ability, and can also be rather incredible.

That being said.

NBC. Could you please stop showing it every goddamned day?

I just want to watch some bobsledding or something.

Ice Skating is what people tune into the winter olympics for. Sorry, tough poo poo, better get used to seeing some ice skating.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

It's all sliding around on ice anyways who cares

E: Also NBC totally shoots their wad on the Olympics and ends up doing the stupidest poo poo with it, ratings be damned

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

maybe y'all should get a goddamn job instead of watching curling all day

i have an english degree watching curling all day is about all i'm qualified to do

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Ho Chi Meeeeee posted:

Gus Johnson is terrible at football. He just reminds me of a shittier, more banal version of Ray Hudson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgk04dtId7Y

He's so over the top I just can't help but love him. Plus it helps he's a Geordie.

He doesn't really know how to call it or the flow of the game so he gets excited for anything that might call for excitement. Same thing is why he's lovely with combat sports.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Outside of the 2014 BCS National Championship Game, nobody has ever tried that, and nobody will for the next ~5 years.

I thought that went really well. Did it not (ratings wise)?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

CVagts posted:

The question I have is what would those ESPN stations have done if they just aired whatever they would normally air during a huge-rear end ESPN telecast?

I assume ESPN2 would have been airing a mid-tier college basketball game which could probably have done better than ~400,000 viewers (and that was their money telecast with celebrities and poo poo)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

So Brent Musberger has officially taken a demotion that ESPN has spun brilliantly as "THE #1 ANCHOR OF SEC NETWORK" (which works as long as you pretend SEC Network is going to get any game more important than Arkansas vs Troy or something).

It's been assumed Chris Fowler is Musberger's replacement as ESPN's #1 guy, to be paired with Kirk Herbstreit, but now that we're at the door, we'll see if ESPN gets any last minute ideas. Who would you choose to replace one of the current most iconic voices in sports?

Marv Albert.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Vertical Lime posted:

In what's an inevitable end of an era, the national WGN feed is dropping all sports after this season:

http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/get..._medium=twitter

RIP White Sox on TV, you wormed your way into my heart by being there a lot

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Benne posted:

On that note, Deitsch has the details on TNT's top broadcast team. Apparently the big plan to replace Steve Kerr alongside Marv is...a rotation of three guys.

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/10/05/turner-sports-steve-kerr-replacements-shelley-smith-breast-cancer

Actually Grant Hill and Chris Webber are both excellent and I wish Webber would replace Kerr fulltime

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

as it stands they have no economic reason to do so; if disney can get you to pay for disney’s streaming service and for a dedicated “geek” service with marvel and lucasfilms properties and then license their fox and abc properties, it makes more economic sense and has less risk than bundling it all into one even if consumers would be happier

if the nfl didn’t already exist as an ironclad mutually assured destructive enterprise with the owners i would imagine they’d model themselves after the ncaa in terms of regional networks along with one delusional team in texas with their own channel; i know there are regional sports networks that sort of fill this niche already but those aren’t owned by the nfl or their teams

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

harperdc posted:

Doesn’t Daniel Snyder also own the/a regional sports channel in the DMV area already? I know part of the complaint about him/his team is that the local media he owns provides pillowy soft coverage of the Washington Racial Slurs.

that’s true; what i meant to/should have said was these channels don’t feature the nfl’s branding or the branding of the individual teams so they aren’t inextricably linked like, say, the longhorn network

FuzzySkinner posted:

While I rather appreciate the revenue sharing model the NFL has as a fan of a small market?

I also dislike how the TV model currently is versus the college version of the game or the MLB, NBA and NHL

I've bitched about it before but how the Cowboys Vs. NFC East matchup is just always dragged to the 4:15 slot every week by Fox is infuriating. I don't have a problem with any of these teams or their fans, but I really like the ability to b able to watch as many teams as possible during weekends in the falls.

If the Cowboys pulled something like getting NBC to air them every week ala Notre Dame? There would be no objections from me because I would understand the argument.

I don't even object to when I get them in Tulsa, that is very much a market they split with the Chiefs. Just when I lived in the greater Cleveland-area? I should not have been getting them every week, no fail.

while a la carte sports consumption will suck in many ways, this will be a welcome change; i also think the revenue sharing is good in a sense that it forces teams to acknowledge that they are all part of one larger team and that they need to act in the common interest even as they compete with each other (although that leads to leaguewide blackballing and price fixing on safety salaries so maybe actually a bad thing)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

the 757 demands a pro team, they’re horny for it

iospace posted:

I'd still watch those two over Skip/Shannon and Stephen A/Max

stephen a is a delight and max is good at talking about boxing and zero other things

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

iwentdoodie posted:

My thing with Norfolk/HR getting a team is will they actually go and be fans? I see it having that many viewers as a symptom of the population base (primarily transient, not native) watching their home town team.

But I could be way off.

yes and no; like kibner said you have to play the long game and you’ll sell tickets to games just on the basis of the large transient population going to see their favorite teams when they come into town

but if the team is run well and wins it’ll attract fans from all over virginia just on the basis of proximity

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

on one hand it’s sad to see him struggle, on the other hand i love a good “welp see ya”

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/PabloTorre/status/1128718383048998913?s=19

i am dead and i have died

play this at my funeral

stephen a smith is my favorite anime

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

I loved the dugout years ago. where'd you learn that? any articles about it?

jon bois founded progressive boink along with his other teenage friends as related here

i’m sure plenty of things i said to be funny as a teenager i’d cringe at now so i don’t begrudge anyone involved with the dugout not wanting to preserve it in perpetuity (although it’ll be forever preserved in my mind whenever i think about jim thome)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

breen/jackson/van gundy is unique in that they all make each other way worse

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

honestly the technology at work here (with all of the live telestration stuff) sounds kinda cool and might get me to watch an alternate broadcast but you oughta get stat nerds on there instead of a random selection of four people who were available that night (although you can keep Katie as color IMO)

she’s not much of a b-ball fan by her own admission; i’d prefer someone more invested (like doris burke?)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

“that needs to be added”

uh no it did not

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

is gerry callahan they one that bragged about loving his interns

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

SirFozzie posted:

He's the one who compared an escape gorilla to busing students.

ohhhhhh yikes also how can boston have so many loving awful radio people

hcreight posted:

Greg Hill is a MAGA shithead so WEEI isn't exactly improving here.

i doubt weei did it because he sucks; i imagine it's either a contract dispute or an internal harassment thing

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

well i guess in the inevitable race war i’ll pause for a second before killing skip bayless

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

DJExile posted:

It's first take, they're not thinking nearly that deep about it.

still spinning an eastbound and down quote into an actual Take is a special kind of dumb

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

yoooooo

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Last week tonight waded into the NBA Hong Kong controversy, and went straight to the goods:
https://mobile.twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1183607784182554624?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

The full clip is floating around, and contains John Oliver's takes on Daryl Morley's trades last season. My NBA knowledge grows weaker by the day, so I'll assume it was a bad trade and a bad take.

it’s too soon to judge the trade but chris paul wanted out and russell westbrook is still a net positive so it was probably a good move on the rockets’ part to preserve team chemistry; i’m pretty uninterested in watching john oliver toe the company line so i doubt i’ll watch the clip

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Basticle posted:

man, what

i mean the general capitalism friendly hbo corporate line as a broader criticism of last week tonight not anything specific to the clip or the nba

it functions on the same “let’s talk about the symptoms of global economic collapse without addressing the core crisis” that a lot of tedtalks suffer from, with admittedly punchier writing

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

General Dog posted:

It would be pretty boring to just come out and say :capitalism: every week. Sometimes it's better to leave the subtext as subtext.

i guess so but that doesn't stop him from doing the "hurr hurr orange man bad" schtick every week either

you guys probably don't care about my opinions about a moderately successful hbo comedy news program though so i'll leave it at that

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Crazy Ted posted:

It's incredible to think that what used to be Tucker Carlson's claim to fame was that he was known as a dorky-looking, bow-tie-wearing, policy wonk of a Conservative who spent his TV time on CNN and MSNBC because he was considered too liberal for Fox.

jon stewart bullied him and changed the course of his career

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yea, I'd be surprised if the NBA wasn't down considering nearly every big star is on the west coast now, and two of the largest markets have terrible teams (Knicks and Bulls).

the bulls are about two years and a new coach away from being Good and the knicks accidentally stumbled their way into what looks like a pretty good draft choice but by the time those things pay dividends lebron will have retired (presumably) and the ratings news cycle will churn again

DJExile posted:

Wasn't hard to see why they gave New Orleans a bunch, didn't Zion only get hurt like right before the season started?

the warriors also still had steph who is a very popular player and generally exciting to watch

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Rick posted:

That lead to a bad year last year, but there has been a nice uptick which had been lead by them finally having a Clipper team that is drawing interest and a Lakers team that is winning. But they definitely need a good team as a draw for the early game for sure.

But those early games are still generally beating their competition though so they don’t have to worry that much.

it’s also worth mentioning that the celtics are Good again so they’ll probably bring an influx of fans in and the raptors are holding steady even without kawhi but neither of those teams has a certified star on them to draw in people who otherwise wouldn’t be watching; durant coming back would also help shore up those early tv schedylea

i would think giannis would be on tv as often as the nba could get away with but hey what can you do

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

rudolph was in fact asking for it, bill

clip in question: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=21NlMgar1sc

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

drat he fuckin trucked her and danielson straight up doesn’t react

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus