Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Gruden has actually grown on me over the years. I mean, it's easy to mock him for "THIS GUY" and "BANANA 3" and poo poo, but whatever. Madden had dumb catch-phrases too, and everyone loves him. I think it's his unabashed passion for the game that really puts him above the likes of Simms and Dierdorf, who sound like they're just going through the motions.

Of course, it helps that he has Tirico, who is a true professional and doesn't get enough love around these parts. Tirico can go from football to basketball to tennis to golf without missing a beat. He also had the unenviable task of keeping Gruden, Jaws and Kornheiser on the rails, which I think he handled about as well as he could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
ESPN used to have a great baseball voice in Jon Miller. Too bad they wasted that by sticking him with Joe Morgan and quietly dumping him instead of giving him a decent color guy to work with.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Peanut President posted:

Not sure if this is on topic but the IOC have secretly (??) uploaded a ton of matches from 2012 in different sports on youtube. Available in HD and English/Spanish/No Commentary. The way to know is the thumbnail will be a bright color with the symbol of the sport.

Men's Handball Gold Medal match:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtFuCFaYT7I

Welp there goes the rest of my evening

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Bring back the Magic tournaments, but only if they put this guy front and center

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYuF3T7s7XY

And then afterwards, we can have a panel segment with Skip and Stephen A. debating if Francis is an "elite" player.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
FOX gets the World Cup in 2018. God help us if Gus Johnson is still as bad at soccer as he is in 2013.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
MMQB has a good breakdown of all the NFL pregame shows this year

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/08/29/2013-nfl-season-tv/

tl;dr don't watch the NFL pregame shows.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

haljordan posted:

I hope the trend of adding more and more dumbasses to yell about football continues and by this time in 10 years, pregame shows have approximately 57 people sitting at the desk.

We're getting there!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Fox Sports Southwest hired Craig James

Burn Fox to the loving ground

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Richard Deitsch has his complete NFL broadcaster guide up. Find out which terrible FOX team your team will be stuck with this year!

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/09/05/2013-nfl-tv/

Chris Meyers and Tim Ryan will be calling the Seahawks this week, and will probably do so for another 6 weeks or so. I have no clue why we always get stuck with that poo poo duo.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
So NBCSN has cancelled Michelle Beadle's show The Crossover.

If you've never heard of The Crossover, I can't blame you. NBCSN never figured out what to do with the format, shuffling co-hosts and airing it against the 6PM SportsCenter. Beadle herself has complained about the lack of promotion, and last week it got preempted by sailing, of all things.

It's a shame for Beadle--she's really good on TV and I wish NBC would push her more.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Vertical Lime posted:

That makes me think about how ESPN at this point is bigger than the personalities. For example, I don't think Erin has been talked about as much either ever since she left them for Fox.

I think Beadle is a breakout star waiting to happen, and it's kind of baffling that NBC doesn't know what to do with her.

NBC is now gearing up for the NHL, and Beadle has hinted that she wants to do more hockey coverage, so something might happen there, but who knows. She deserves more than Access Hollywood and throwaway mid-afternoon studio gigs.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Well this is getting ugly

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013..._medium=twitter

quote:

Following the cancelation of The Crossover earlier this week, Jason McIntyre of The Big Lead is reporting that Michelle Beadle is in talks to leave NBC and return to ESPN.

According to McIntyre, NBC Sports and NBCSN executive producer Sam Flood was irate when he heard Beadle's comments trashing the promotion of The Crossover on last week's Sports Media Watch podcast (co-hosted by our Ken Fang). Flood and Beadle have squared off consistently during her time with the Peacock, and her comments on the podcast was the last straw and he had a meeting with Beadle informing her the show was canceled, but not before first leaking the story to Richard Sandomir of the New York Times.

McIntyre is also reporting that Beadle is prepared to leave NBC the moment her agent and the network can reach an agreement, with a return to ESPN seemingly on the horizon.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
This thread needs more love and I'm bringing it back to talk shop.

Dan Dierdorf has just announced his retirement today, effective at the end of the season. He was working on the CBS No. 2 crew alongside Greg Gumbel.

I never cared for Dierdorf as an analyst, but his departure will have a significant ripple effect, especially in an industry where announcing jobs are as secure as Supreme Court appointments. Awful Announcing has speculated that Boomer Esiason will move from the studio to replace Dierdorf, which is probably the thing they will do.

Personally I hope Ian Eagle and Dan Fouts get promoted to the No. 2 team on CBS, and they find a better color guy to help out Gumbel. Gumbel is a good play-by-play guy but he's been stuck with Dierdorf's banal crap for so long I think people have forgotten how good he can be.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Big news in the hockey land--TSN may have lost NHL rights to CBC and Sportsnet

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013..._medium=twitter

If true, this is a gamechanger. Not only did TSN lose out on the lucrative Hockey Night In Canada license, this would competely kneecap their hockey coverage and give a big boost to Sportsnet.

E: It's been confirmed on Twitter. Huge news for Canadian hockey fans.

Benne fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 26, 2013

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
From what I gather, HNIC is staying with CBC, although TSN did try to make a big push for it.

The fact that they got left at the altar with nothing whatsoever is the real shocker.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Kornheiser wore a turkey suit on PTI today

I think that picture speaks for itself, really

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It sure was fun having to watch hockey on tape delay in 2010 even though the events were happening in my own loving time zone.

Welcome to the 21st Century, NBC. We've been missing you.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
God I wish I had ESPN News on my cable package. That live tape breakdown sounds awesome.

In other "ESPN Does a Good Thing" news, they picked up the Arena Football rights for 2014. This is good news for both sides--the AFL is desperate to get back on the map after a disastrous decade, and ESPN has some football methadone for the NFL offseason. I'm interested to see how this works out.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I hope his contract includes a restraining order against Skip Bayless.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Here's the tentative list of hosts/announcers for the Winter Olympics

http://fangsbites.com/2014/01/nbcs-announcers-and-hosts-for-the-2014-sochi-olympics/

As expected, Michelle Beadle is nowhere to be found, although I'm looking forward to Rebecca Lowe's expanded role. She's done a great job on EPL coverage. I'm less looking forward to Lauer and Viera on the Opening Ceremony again, they were awful in London.

E: Different Randy Moss, but that would've been hilarious.

Benne fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 6, 2014

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
ESPN named Ian Darke the No. 1 announcer for the World Cup, but it came at the expense of Martin Tyler, who left the company.

Please hire him FOX and end the Gus Johnson Experiment already.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Eh, they'll just find a way to clone Nantz 20 times so he can do all the big broadcasts.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
My favorite part about the Final Four is when Nantz does the Masters promos and you can tell by his voice that he's getting aroused.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

CBJSprague24 posted:

Bob's Burgers and Allen Gregory saw lots of promotion during NFL on FOX games prior to their premieres. As Martytoof and any others that posted in the Allen Gregory thread on TVIV way back when can tell you, despite Joe Buck or Kenny Albert telling me it was something to watch, we all hated the show three minutes in.

And then kept watching because apparently we all hate ourselves and were sucked into Jonah Hill's borderline offensive awfulness.

(Bob's Burgers also sucks.)

You were doing so well up until that last sentence. Bob's Burgers owns.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
NFL Network moved fast after Darren Sharper's arrest and rape charges. They suspended him indefinitely and removed his bio from the website.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Michelle Beadle is going back to ESPN. Way to gently caress up that relationship, NBC.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/news/20140121/michelle-beadle-espn-return-nbc/

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
When does the Olympic subforum get opened up?

E: Here are ESPN's plans for their Super Bowl coverage. http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2014..._medium=twitter

quote:

Anywho, ESPN will provide more than 115 hours of TV and radio coverage from... wherever the Super Bowl is. They'll have two running sets the entire week, including one from in front of Macy's on 34th and Broadway at Herald Square. That will be the main site of Sunday NFL Countdown and much of the network's studio programming. A secondary set in Times Square will house SportsCenter segments as well as SVP & Russillo.

ESPN will run a ton of shows all next week from New York and Bristol to lead up to the big game. Monday-Friday will feature SportsCenter specials each day at 2:30 p.m. ET leading into NFL Insiders and NFL Live. Pardon the Interruption will also be live from Times Square on Friday, Jan. 31.

Only a matter of time before we're getting pregame shows to the pregame shows. Embrace all of the debate!

Benne fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 25, 2014

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
In other news, 21st Century Fox has acquired an 80% share of the YES Network, so expect to see 600 Yankees games on FS1 this year.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Who wants 8 more games of Phil Simms?

quote:

NEW YORK – The National Football League will team with long-time broadcast partner CBS to produce and televise Thursday Night Football for the 2014 season, it was announced today by NFL Commissioner ROGER GOODELL and LESLIE MOONVES, president and CEO of CBS Corp., and SEAN McMANUS, Chairman, CBS Sports.

CBS will air eight early season games that also will be simulcast on NFL Network. NFL Network will also televise eight late-season games in the run-up to the playoffs. The mix of games will include 14 on Thursday nights and two late-season games on Saturday.

The full slate of 16 regular-season games will be produced by CBS with its lead broadcasters and production team, including JIM NANTZ and PHIL SIMMS, on all Thursday night games. In a new twist, NFL Network hosts and analysts will be featured in the pregame, halftime and postgame shows along with CBS Sports announcers.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If anything, this news is pretty much the final nail for NBC's Thursday night lineup.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Jay and Dan deserve a better network :(

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The sooner Internet nerds come to terms with the fact that they're not NBC's target audience and will never be as long as the monster primetime ratings keep coming in, the better.

E: Also figure skating is cool :colbert:

Benne fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 20, 2014

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Wait, is there really backlash against Doc Emrick? This thread is the first I've heard of it, and pretty much everywhere I've seen people love him.

Maybe I'm just one of those filthy casual hockey fans but Emrick really makes the game more fun to watch for me, dumb synonyms and all.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I guess, tilting my head and squinting, his enthusiasm can be overbearing if you watch NHL year-round, but to me that style works perfectly for the Olympics, where every game has high stakes. He also sounds like he has a genuine passion for the game and wants to make every moment count.

Compare that to Gus Johnson (GOON DISCLOSURE I LIKE GUS PLEASE DON'T HURT ME GUYS :shobon:), who is also really excited about the game but seems to try a bit too hard. Like he's trying to engineer excitement rather than letting the game speak for itself, which is part of the reason why he's such a poor fit for soccer.

I don't get that feeling with Doc, and as someone who barely watches hockey outside of the Olympics, he has a real knack of drawing in people like me and getting me engaged. That's the sign of real broadcasting talent, and that's why I think Doc is one of the best out there.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

MourningView posted:

It owns. It's always like a generically good looking British guy who has clearly only been watching for a few weeks, an obligatory British analyst with dubious qualifications, and obscure America small college coach or former player who is terrible on TV but somehow got a job analyzing football overseas. I want to parlay my few months of college football into being a British NFL or college football analyst so bad.

I remember seeing Mike Holmgren on one of those broadcasts, and it was pretty :psyduck:. Like, he's Mike Holmgren, surely the name alone should be enough to get him an American TV gig somewhere. Was Sky Sports the only network that returned his calls?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
In sports radio news that doesn't suck, Mike Salk didn't last long in Boston. He's coming back to Seattle.

http://mynorthwest.com/444/2475024/Mike-Salk-returning-to-710-ESPN-Seattle

I look forward to him politely calling Brock Huard a loving idiot again.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
FS1 is shuffling its lineup once again. Fox Football Daily is on hiatus and they're debuting something called "America's Pregame"

quote:

America's Pregame will premiere April 7th on FS1. Hosted by Mike Hill, the network describes the show as "designed to be a fun and fast-paced look ahead, America's Pregame answers for fans: Who is playing? What’s at stake? Where can I watch it? When is it on? Why should I watch it? In short, it sets up the evening’s viewing with a dash of news and analysis when needed."

Sounds interesting. Can't wait for it to get retooled/canceled in 3 months because people still aren't watching FS1.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The CBS/Turner March Madness relationship is a godsend. By far the best thing going on in sports broadcasting right now.

Well, it will be once they fire Doug Gottlieb into the sun. Other than that, it's nearly flawless.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Bayern is going to shithouse Man U and Gus will call it a "major upset" because Man U is the only soccer team he's heard of before taking this job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Crossposting this from the NFL N/V thread

Quest For Glory II posted:

It sounds like CBS' replacement for Dan Dierdorf is former Chiefs QB Trent Green, who has some booth experience from a brief stint at FOX. There's no indication that Gumbel is going to stop calling football, so I'm guessing Gumbel/Green is your new #3 team.

Also a reminder that NFL on CBS' studio show fired Dan Marino and Shannon Sharpe and replaced them with Tony Gonzalez and Bart Scott.