Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
That's a bummer. I've always liked Greg Gumbel but he's been saddled with Dierdorf's useless rear end for so many years people haven't had a real opportunity to appreciate him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
CBC has just announced that it will no longer bid for professional sports rights. Looks like Canadian goons are stuck with Rogers, CTV and TSN now.

E: More news.

quote:

@awfulannouncing: Piers Morgan just tweeted he’ll be a part of Fox’s FA Cup semifinal coverage. You’ve been warned.

:barf: :barf: :barf:

Benne fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 10, 2014

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Jamie Horowitz, the mastermind behind First Take and "Embrace Debate," is joining NBC to run The Today Show even further into the ground.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
CBS' new No. 2 NFL team is Ian Eagle and Dan Fouts http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/news/20140609/media-circus-dan-fouts-ian-eagle-cbs-sports-barry-melrose-nhl-tv-fixes-hubie-brown/

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
ESPNNews was a godsend in the late 90s-early 00s -- that brief period when cable TV finally got ubiquitous but the Internet was still a novelty/luxury. If you just wanted the scores and key highlights, didn't feel like waiting for the newspaper and had 30 minutes to spare, ESPNNews was there.

The channel has definitely outlived its usefulness but I'll always have a soft spot for it.

Benne fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jun 15, 2014

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'll probably get used to the new scroller, but right now it looks like a generic thing you'd see on NBCSN or Pac-12 Network or something. The old red colors and font popped and made the Bottom Line feel like it meant something special, rather than just "every cable network does this so we're doing it too."

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Anals of History posted:

Highly Questionable will be back starting next week, and it's going to look a little different:

What the hell, the kitchen was the best part about the show :(

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Well that didn't take long: Gus Johnson done with soccer http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2014/09/14/gus-johnson-steps-down-foxs-top-soccer-announcer

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The whole experiment was doomed from the start. I love Gus, but his specific style just doesn't work for soccer. Combine that with his obvious lack of knowledge about the sport and we had some painful broadcasts.

Fox has a lot on the line in their soccer coverage with the World Cup in 2018, next year's Women's World Cup and the Champions League every year. This is actually a good opportunity for them to start over and find a good voice. Maybe they could hire Martin Tyler, or throw the checkbook at Jon Champion who had some outstanding calls in the last World Cup.

lol it's Fox they'll just throw Joe Buck out there.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
ESPN still has Euro 16 and some USMNT games, so I doubt they let Ian go without a fight. I could definitely see Tyler going to Fox, he wants to be the No. 1 voice at whatever network he goes to and didn't get that opportunity at the World Cup.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

davecrazy posted:

Gus Johnson was a square peg in a round hole with soccer, but instead of poaching somebody with an English/Irish/Scottish accent can't they find somebody who calls a lot of MLS and or whatever and give them a chance? Hell, give Steve Cangialosi a shot, couldn't hurt.

I don't really follow MLS broadcasts outside the Sounders, are there any American announcers worth a drat there?

If Fox won't poach Tyler/Champion and are still serious about getting an American to be their top soccer voice, going through MLS and culling their most promising guys seems like an obvious first step. But, again, this is Fox we're dealing with, so.

(He's not American, but there is precedent here with Arlo White, who made his name calling Sounders games and went on to be NBC's No. 1 EPL guy. Hopefully there's an American White waiting in the wings at MLS.)

Benne fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Sep 15, 2014

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Looks like the NBA is re-upping with ESPN and Turner. Details will be released tomorrow.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2014/09/08/Media/NBA-media.aspx

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
On that note, Deitsch has the details on TNT's top broadcast team. Apparently the big plan to replace Steve Kerr alongside Marv is...a rotation of three guys.

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/10/05/turner-sports-steve-kerr-replacements-shelley-smith-breast-cancer

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Mahoning posted:

Hey guys, Joe Buck will be calling US Open golf next year. :suicide:

You would rather have Chris Berman?

Buck is a boring white guy and golf is a sport for boring white people. It's a match made in heaven.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
UFC announcer Mike Goldberg called today's Lions-Vikings game.

It went...poorly. http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/10/12/6966049/mma-news-twitter-reacts-ufc-announcer-mike-goldberg-nfl-on-fox-debut

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
He's got Vikings-Bills next week so nope!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I miss Cheap Seats :(

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
NBCSN has a good deal with hockey and Premier League. They could air literal grass growing in the rest of their timeslots as long as those two sports keep bringing in viewers.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Hell, Bobby Fischer was such a big deal he got a movie made about him. I can't remember the last time chess got media attention, other than that one time a supercomputer beat that one guy whose name escapes me at the moment.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Chess requires a ridiculous attention to detail if you want to be any good at it. It's not surprising that most of the top players are autistic weirdos.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Mike Carey was legit one of the best refs in the business but it's almost astounding how little of that experience shows on TV. You'd think spending decades making calls in front of 60,000-plus fans every week would condition him a bit on camera presence, but Carey shows almost none of the charisma I was used to seeing from him.

Benne fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 26, 2014

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

ayn rand hand job posted:

How so? You're announcing it to 60,000 people in the stands while staring at the sidelines. You're not trying to deliver it into a camera.

NFL refs have to face the TV camera for every call and know where it is (or risk being a Twitter punchline), and they're playing to the TV viewers as much as the live crowd. It's an underrated aspect of the business, and I was just confused as to how Carey could be good at that part while looking/sounding so befuddled every time CBS cuts to him.

Maybe he'll get better with more experience, but he hasn't been impressive so far.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Do they still have Barry Melrose locked up in a dungeon where they only let him out for 5 minutes a week whenever Sidney Crosby does something?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah if you think WWE cares about concussions then you haven't been paying attention

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

FuzzySkinner posted:

Question. Why is the "NBA on TNT" crew as a whole so drat good? Even when they're doing some corny stuff, I find them to be very good.

They have natural chemistry and are more or less being themselves, instead of playing caricatures and spewing #hottakes

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Mornacale posted:

ESPN can never regain my favor until they bring back Cheap Seats

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

If Nolan, Beadle and Czarniak got their own show I would watch the poo poo out of that

E: Speaking of Lindsay Czarniak, here's an interesting piece on how ESPN has quietly retooled the 6 p.m. SportsCenter. I started watching that timeslot again a couple weeks ago and it really does flow better than it used to. http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/lindsay-czarniak-leading-sportscenter-next-evolutionary-step.html

Benne fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Mar 3, 2015

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
So Katie Nolan's Garbage Time premiered tonight on FS1. I've been a big fan of Nolan and want her to succeed, so I felt compelled to watch and review the first episode.

--Opening title sequence has Nolan in 8-bit sports video games, so I'm already on board.

--The first segment is Nolan doing her Youtube No Filter schtick. Still pretty funny, but for some reason they dubbed in a laugh track that fell flat. Hopefully that gets dropped, because the awkward silence at Nolan's bad jokes is part of her charm.

--She segued into the big NFL trades and did a ranty bit about parents uploading their crying children videos online. I liked it.

--The middle segment was a panel with some FOX Sports NFL dork whose name I couldn't remember. Mostly casual discussion of the FA period. NFL dork seemed way too excited to be on TV and talked over Nolan at times, but it was mostly decent.

--The big segment was Nolan doing a sitdown with Adam Carolla. Not an actual interview style, just the two of them drinking from Solo cups and shooting the poo poo about sports. This was better than I expected.

--Final segment was a skit riffing on bracket office pools.

Overall, a pretty good premiere episode, even with its rough patches. I liked enough of it that I'll be watching again next week.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

camoseven posted:

I also watched it, and thought it was pretty funny overall. My only complaint is that I wish she recognized that MLS is the lead in for her show. Talking about soccer may be too much to ask, but calling soccer a sport for pussies seems like a bad way to keep that particular audience. I laughed when she called lacrosse a sport for pussies, though, so I guess I can't throw TOO many stones.

Yeah, she seems like a legit soccer fan too, so that bit threw me off. FOX has the MLS rights this year and will be showing the World Cup for the next decade, so throwing shade at the sport is not a good look if they want viewers to take it seriously.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Lou Holtz is finally gone

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2015/04/12/charles-barkley-sxsw-masters-espn-lou-holtz?page=2&devicetype=default

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Either way, the show was a ratings bust so that's probably the end of that experiment.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If G4 hadn't withered and died out they'd be the perfect home for televised game events (I'm not calling it loving "esports").

But really, is there any real audience in that field that Youtube and Twitch aren't covering already?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
So Turner re-upped their deals with everyone on the Inside The NBA crew.

Good news: Barkley is sticking around.

Bad news: Shaq is sticking around.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Well this didn't take long

James Andrew Miller
‏@JimMiller

The second @KeithOlbermann era at @espn has come to a close. There will be no new contract. Current deal which was two years ends 7/31.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Tebow was actually a pretty good analyst on SECN last year. He has way more upside in that role than in actual football playing.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Here's the FOX NFL lineup:

1) Joe Buck, Troy Aikman and Erin Andrews

2) Kevin Burkhardt, John Lynch and Pam Oliver

3) Kenny Albert, Daryl Johnston and Laura Okmin

4) Thom Brennaman, Charles Davis and Tony Siragusa

5) Chris Myers, Ronde Barber and Jennifer Hale

6) Dick Stockton, David Diehl and Kristina Pink

7) Sam Rosen, (rotating analysts) Chris Cooley/Matt Millen/Kirk Morrison/Brady Quinn, (rotating reporters) Peter Schrager/Holly Sonders/Danielle Trotta

Kenny, Moose and Goose got split up :qq:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Ribsauce posted:

I went from hating them to loving them. I still remember what changed it. They gave Goose a big screen TV in the end zone, with like 4 other TVs attached to it, and he got busted hiding snacks behind all of them.

Or it might have been when they cut to him and he had a fedora on his head that looked like what I would look like if I put a thimble on my head. Whichever of those happened first (pretty sure the first one)

We got a lot of Goose and company during the lean Panther years.

You were one of the lucky ones. The Seahawks got stuck with Chris Myers every week during their rebuilding years.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
What the gently caress is the point of Quidditch if you can't even fly on the brooms

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Grittybeard posted:

This is the second year he's had a national job I think? He's been doing the Chiefs preseason for a few years now.

He's still not good but man he's improved a lot, he was godawful at first.

He's way better than Dan Dierdorf and Greg Gumbel is also better now that Dierdorf hosed off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
This whole thing is Peak Boston Media