Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

This was posted on Deadspin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WmMj4lfpdc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Elitist Bitch posted:

I like To The Limit. Story about the NASCAR driver that Days of Thunder was loosely based off of that NASCAR has tried really, really hard to bury thanks to the awful way his illness and death was handled (he died of complications from AIDS). Even if you're not a NASCAR or auto racing fan it's an interesting look at how AIDS was handled by real people in the early days of the epidemic (although I'll admit that what I saw made me sad). He could have been one of the greatest drivers in NASCAR history but died when he was 34.

uhhh wasnt that produced by NASCAR? I thought goons hated it because it whitewashes all the bad things NASCAR did.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Troy Queef posted:

I never really got Katie Nolan and just figured out why: she is essentially the ur-example of “The Cool Girl” as outlined in Gone Girl

Yes but what character from The Wire is she?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

You guys know all this poo poo is on a 7 second delay so they can bleep that right

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Didnt he do baseball play by play back in the 90s? IIRC that was how I first knew of him when I was a kid.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Surprised this hasnt made it out of the Indycar thread (also maybe NFL threads but I dont read those)

https://deadspin.com/former-colts-announcer-who-used-n-word-was-quoting-auto-1828557737

https://racer.com/2018/08/23/daly-rejects-racial-slur-claims/

Theres a lot to process here but I'll try to sum it up

1) Bob Lamey, longtime Indianapolis Colts radio play-by-play announcer "retired" after he told a story that involved the n-word in front of a black colleague.

2) In the story he told, 35 years ago, when he was working for Indianapolis Motor Speedway, he was interviewing a racing analyst on the radio. When Lamey asked him if racers were holding back their speed during qualifications, the analyst said “There aren’t any n****** in this race.” [editors note: I still dont know what the gently caress thats even supposed to mean.]

3) Lamey has now publicly claimed the analyst is Derek Daly. Daly is an Irish former Formula 1, CART (Indycar) and sports car driver. He moved to the Indianapolis area in the 1980s. His son Conor is currently a driver in Indycar.

4) Daly was then immediately fired by his longtime employer, Indianapolis tv station WISH-TV.

5) Daly then released this statement:

quote:

“Last night WISH-TV severed ties with me after former sports broadcaster Bob Lamey apparently inaccurately attributed a racial slur to me during an interview in the early ’80s,” he said in the statement.

“It was reported on their website that I confirmed this. Both of these reports are factually incorrect. On this subject, I was never interviewed by Bob Lamey. The slanderous statements made by Bob, and now being attributed to me, are not only factually incorrect, but offensive.

“The facts are: In the early ’80s, after I had recently relocated to the United States, I was interviewed by radio reporter Larry Henry and I was asked about my situation with my new American team. I responded by explaining that I was a foreign driver now in America, driving for an American team, with an American crew, and with an American sponsor – and that if things did not go well, the only “n***** in the wood pile” would be me.

“At the time, I meant that I, as the new foreigner on the team, would shoulder the blame and I would be the scapegoat. This was not in any way shape or form meant to be a racial slur. This phrase was commonly used in Ireland, Britain, and Australia.

“When I used that phrase in the early ’80s, I had no idea that in this country that phrase had a horribly different meaning and connotation, as it was commonplace in Ireland. After moving to the United States, I quickly learned what a derogatory term it was. When I was first informed of this, I was mortified at the offense I might have caused people. I have therefore never used the word since. I made this mistake once, but never again.

“As someone lucky enough to travel and work around the world, I have good friends and colleagues from almost every race, nationality, and religion. I have always treated everybody with equal respect and they have done the same with me. Anyone who questions that should talk to them. Similarly, I hope I have demonstrated my character during the past 20 years that I have spent working on television with a range of professionals of all backgrounds.

“Finally, I want everyone to know I deeply regret and sincerely apologize for what I said more than three decades ago.

“Respectfully, Derek Daly.”

6) and the cherry on top of this bizzare story is Willy T. Ribbs, a black race car driver in the 80s and 90s has publicly defended Daly with this amazing story (emphasis mine):

quote:

“Derek Daly was the first driver to befriend me in an environment I knew little about,” Ribbs said, recalling his arrival in England to race in Formula Ford in 1977.

“1984, Derek Daly and I visited our hero Muhammad Ali at his home in Los Angeles, and The Champ loved him. That same night after meeting with The Champ, we were attacked in a parking lot by some thugs that looked like skinheads, and we kicked the &*%$ out of them.

“[In] 1990, Derek Daly helped facilitate my first IndyCar deal with Raynor Racing. August 18th, 2018, one of my closest friends in a sport that has been very hostile to me was at my wedding, 41 years after meeting in the UK. That’s Derek Daly.”

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Dango Bango posted:

I thought the E:60 special on all the sports moments/seasons after 9/11 was incredibly well done as well.

Anything E:60 with Bob Ley owns, anything with Jeremy Schapp is schmaltzy garbage.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I remember when I was a kid in the 80s my dad would watch sometimes the games on WUAB and listen to Herb Score on a shortwave radio headset.

Basticle fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 22, 2018

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Carlosologist posted:

just give her and Katie Nolan PTI

:hellyeah:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

quote:

Millen was diagnosed with the rare disease amyloidosis in 2017. Amyloidosis occurs when abnormal proteins called amyloids, produced in the bone marrow, build up in organs or tissue. In Millen’s case, the disease affected his heart, which now operates at about 30 percent capacity.

:stare:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

amazing

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Is that smoke cloud over California from wildfires or Bill Walton?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://deadspin.com/i-dont-think-stephen-a-smith-watches-much-football-1831073217

I can't stop watching the faces of the other two

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

yikes

*edit* wasnt it only like weekly or something last year?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

what the gently caress

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

euphronius posted:

How can it be the lowest scoring when 2009 was lower.

I think he meant lowest that was broadcast by CBS

*edit* to the above posters, the tweet clearly says "CBS drew a 44.9 overnight rating for Patriots-Rams last night, which was lowest-scoring Super Bowl yet."

*2nd* edit maybe I'm retarded too, thats the score of the game, not the ratings LOL

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

So does this make him pretty much unhirable to a national network? Is he gonna be working at a regional fox sports MLB network next?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://twitter.com/markfwespn/status/1094063791749386241

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Grittybeard posted:

The Tom Pryce crash.

thanks for posting i guess?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

from the video description

quote:

Flickinger was fired from his Tulsa job for breaking into broadcast and not waiting for commercial to inform viewers of dangerous wildfires.

:psyduck:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Katie no :smith:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

He needs to do what Letterman did with Netflix. He already grew the beard!

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Bird in a Blender posted:

Cord cutting doesn't make any sense if you still want live TV. Youtube TV and PSVue are both about $50 a month. Add that to your internet bill and I would imagine getting a TV/internet combo package would be cheaper.

Lol no

I convinced my parents to go from tv/internet with spectrum to just internet + YouTube tv and their monthly cost went down like $50 and they get more sports channels now (very important for my dad)

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

ElwoodCuse posted:

Remember how you used to call AOL to cancel and they would give you free months? Threatening to cancel still works for tons of subscription stuff. It takes me 5 minutes on the phone to get half off XM for my car every year.

Spectrum, the former Time Warner Cable, won't do this anymore, you literally have to cancel and then start up a new account.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Troy Queef posted:

The "Skip (or in this case Max) I want to ADDRESS this issue" tweet actually happened today: https://deadspin.com/panicked-first...eadspin_twitter

lmao

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv04TKh9vdE

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

i’m pretty uninterested in watching john oliver toe the company line

man, what

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

I honestly can’t tell if that is sarcasm

right there with ya, buddy

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

so uh why is Australian Football the one sport not being shut down, idgi

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

So is there any streaming service left that does still have the RSNs???

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

MourningView posted:

Hulu live does unless something changed in the last couple days

Probably going to get my parents to switch to that then. I got them to drop cable and to go YTTV last year but this season, even when they did have the fox channels every single indians game is blacked out and they're furious.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0rTHRrFTLY

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

DJExile posted:

ESPN is doing an E:60 on Dale Earnhardt's death and how it affected NASCAR safety protocols. Trailer in the article.

E: and holy hell that was already 20 years ago? Christ I'm old :corsair:

Is this one also being produced by Nascar? because the Tim Richmond one sucked rear end and white washed everything and it's only purpose was to make Nascar look good

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

oh woops, I read that as 30 for 30

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1372224247733571587

I've been wheezing laughing at this for like 20 minutes now

I need some context (I have no idea who any of these people are)

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

idgi

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://amp.cincinnati.com/amp/8036849002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

the what network?