Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Welcome to the Sports Broadcasting thread. Pretty much this is a thread to discuss everything from Sports Talk Radio to Sports Televsion. It's to allow the Sports Journalism thread to be exactly that, the Sports Journalism thread.

Let's meet our main networks:

ESPN

"The World Wide Leader in Sports"

quote:

From Wikipedia:
ESPN (originally an acronym for Entertainment and Sports Programming Network) is an American-based global cable and satellite television channel, that is owned as a joint venture between The Walt Disney Company (which operates the network, through its 80% ownership interest) and Hearst Corporation (which holds a 20% interest). The channel focuses on sports-related programming including live and recorded event telecasts, sports talk shows, and other original programming.

Fox Sports 1

quote:

From Wikipedia:
Fox Sports 1 (FS1) is a United States sports-oriented cable and satellite television channel. The network, which launched on August 17, 2013 (replacing the motorsports network Speed), is owned and operated by the Fox Sports Media Group division of 21st Century Fox.[1] The network, along with companion channel Fox Sports 2 (which replaced Fuel TV at the same time FS1 replaced Speed),[2] is based primarily from the Fox Sports division's headquarters in the Westwood section of Los Angeles, though the networks also operate offices in New York City and Charlotte, North Carolina (the latter of which served as Speed's home base).

NBC Sports

quote:

From Wikipedia:
Shortly before the launch of the network's coverage of English Premier League (and the launch of new competitor Fox Sports 1), it was announced that the network would begin to solely be referenced by their NBCSN initials to streamline branding and graphical presentations. The rebranding effort began slowly in June during NHL playoff coverage, and the transition is expected to be complete by February 2014 for NBCSN's coverage of the 2014 Winter Olympics.

CBS Sports

quote:

From Wikipedia:
The CBS Sports Network is a sports-oriented cable channel operated as a part of the sports division of CBS. It launched in 2002 as the National College Sports Network (later CSTV), a multi-platform media brand which encompassed its TV network, collegesports.com, and a network of websites operated for the athletic departments of 215 college and universities.

Also, there are networks with now each individual league, two major college football conferences (Big Ten, Pac 12), individual cities (such as Fox Sports -insert city here-).

To add, this first post is a work in progress, so please feel free to submit your own entries for the aforementioned Sports Networks.

So, have at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I was really debating whether to boycott Fox Sports 1 or not, due to them having ESPN-envy, being associated with News Corp, and killing Speed off.

You know what? It's not that bad. I enjoyed what little I saw of Fox Sports 1 thus far. Fox Sports Live has been fairly refreshing compared to Sportscenter.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Harlock posted:

A panel of Donovan McNabb, Ephraim Salaam, Gary Payton, and Andy Roddick sounds horrible.

The panel format was kind of "eh", but it wasn't "dear god change the channel" bad I've come accustomed to via watching sports center. They had the panel sitting in airport lounge chairs just pretty much calmly discussing topics.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Vertical Lime posted:

Also, the format of Fox Sports One's news show reminds me of NBC's NFL pregame a few years ago when they let Keith and Dan do the highlights and had a player's lounge for analysis.

I do definitely get a Dan/Keith vibe with Jay/Dan.

I'd much prefer the "Lounge" set up, or how say, NFL Network does things with Primetime and Michael Irvin, than the psuedo "debate" we get from ESPN.

e: To add, just make sure it doesn't cross the line of "Chuckflefest" like the CBS/FOX/ESPN crews get for NFL Football.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 19, 2013

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I have kind of a controversial opinion.

I think Jon Gruden can be a good color guy, I just don't think he should be doing the NFL.

To me, he'd be way better in the booth doing College Games.

He reminds me of Dick Vermiel, who was tremendous in that role.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

What's SAS consensus on Little League World Series coverage?

I personally find it really obnoxious and annoying.

I recall once being really annoyed it once overshadowed the opening week of college football once.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I think if they aired earlier round games on Disney Channel/Cartoon Network/Nickelodeon, I'd have less of an issue I think.

You know..kind of focusing on where the demographic would most likely be.

Airing the title games on ABC is of no issue to me, just don't cover it more than your other sports for gods sake. The first week of college football season should not be getting less coverage than little kids playing baseball. Hell, MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL should not be getting less coverage than little kids playing baseball.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

Honestly? They're the Worldwide Leader in Sports. Find some loving sports. There's Aussie football which is rad as poo poo. Air that.

Hell, offer the slot to someone like IndyCar or USAC Silver Crown. Both are beyond belief eager to get some form of some coverage outside of "HEY SOMEONE DIED..WELP..YEAH..CYA.".

I'm bias there, but there's so many other things you could put there. The Aussie Football thing is rather unique, I'd give that a shot.

Even showing replays of "classic" games on ESPN would be a rather cool thing. "Oh hey, here's the 2012 'Bama/Aggie game", or something of that nature. I know they're kind of marooned on ESPNU/ESPNClassic, but yeah, that'd be something to do.

Stuff like "MACTION" seems to be met with a positive reaction all around, why not have more of that attitude?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://web.archive.org/web/20081221144629/http://www.thephatphree.com/features.asp?StoryID=3725&SectionID=15

There was a really good piece written up by a site that used to feature Mike Polk (factory of sadness guy), about the problems that ESPN was facing.

Keep in mind this was 2007..when this was made. Here some important tidbits in case the link fails. I wouldn't recommend googling this stuff, as the site is now apparently filled with malware.

This is mainly stuff from pt. 4, and I think the writer

quote:

What it (ESPN) should be: Early morning SC replays are fine. The afternoon schedule should be blown up. Three and a half hours of commentary shows is way too much. There is no reason we should be subjected to a televised radio show (Mike and Mike), Jim Rome's juvenile ranting, or anything featuring Skip Bayless (1st and 10). If you lose those three shows and cut one of the morning SC replays, you could show an unedited replay of the prior evening's primetime event starting at 1:30PM (I know I am still short a half hour, but we'll make that up in a second). This would be particularly good when games run late like the NBA Western Conference games and West Coast MLB games always do. Cut the 6PM SportsCenter back to 60-minutes and start it at 6:30. You can cut the human interest story and one worthless segment of analysis just like you do for the late night SCs. Then you have the evening's live event, the 90-minute 10PM SC, and the seasonal sport recap show(s). The back-to-back late-night SCs are also fine, but there is no reason to edit the replay of the game at 3AM. What time constraints do you have exactly? Is there some reason it is necessary to show five SC replays instead of four? Show the whole game at 3AM.

What it (ESPN2) should be: ESPN2 should become ESPN West. Shift everything to PST, and produce West Coast versions of all the good commentary shows--Around the Horn West, PTI West, NFL Live West, etc. Then show a West Coast event in primetime. The pre-recorded SportsCenter segments could be shared, but the coverage should be West Coast biased.

I know the fans out West would love it if the 6PM SportsCenter was actually on at 6PM instead of 3PM when they are stuck in their goddamn cubicles. Not to mention that not hearing about the Yankees and Red Sox every day would be a welcome relief. East Coast ex-pats like me would still be able to watch ESPN, and most die-hard fans would watch a lot of both (thank you TiVo).

I know ESPN tried to do this in the late '90s, but lost some key broadcast contracts to Fox Sports and had some trouble getting cable carriers to commit to the channel. Now that ESPN2 is almost ubiquitous on cable and satellite (since both are desperate for HD channels) and the 10-year contracts negotiated by Fox in '98 are expiring, it's time to make this happen.

What it should be: 24-hours of unedited, classic games put into context with a breif introduction and followed by any interesting post game interviews and a wrap up of the impact of the game.

There is no reason why I shouldn't be able to flip on ESPN Classic at any time and see a great game. Old NCAA tourney games, NBA playoff games, great NFL games, old NFL films specials, classic MLB playoffs, etc. Show old NASCAR races during the day (NASCAR fans don't have jobs anyway), and second tier sports like Tennis, Golf, and Boxing at night.

You've got 50 years of sports to choose from. You can promote the great games your scheduling on ESPN and ESPN West, and if you choose the games wisely, they should tie into what's going on right now. In the wake of the Suns-Spurs suspensions, why not run the Heat-Knicks playoff fight from '98? After hearing people talk about it for the last two days, I know I'd like to see Larry Johnson and Alonzo Mourning flail at each other again.

ESPN Classic should be the most fun channel to program, but somehow it's like a bastard child in Bristol. If they had no intention of running properly, why did they buy it?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Vertical Lime posted:

With the proliferation of youtube and such I don't think a classic sports network can work anymore. It didn't help that a while back ESPN successfully offered to make ESPNU more available to subscribers at ESPN Classic's expense.

Also, to put in perspective how Sportscenter operates in comparison to Fox Sports 1's show, here's a rundown of what was covered on each show last night in order:

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2013/08/22/Media/FS1-ESPN.aspx

It'd really help if the NFL, NCAA (I know, lawsuits), MLB wouldn't be so stingy sometimes about uploading games. (Formula 1 too, though I don't think anyone in this thread gives a poo poo about that)

Look, if you're not going to air them anywhere, and it's not for profit, why bother blocking them?

I mean, if you made say, the "1986 Cleveland Browns" season available for purchase, it's not like I'd be all that hesitant to buy those up. But it's not up for purchase, and god forbid HermanFontenotfan28 uploads them, why should you complain about it?

Furthermore, you should be tracking these people down, and thanking them. A lot of the footage of old games have been deleted/lost, and it'd sure as hell be good to have a couple of amateur Steve Sabol's on hand with the tapes.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The exact moment I knew to never watch ESPN again (save for live sporting events) was when they literally aired a "First Take Special Edition" in prime time, to discuss...Tim Tebow.

gently caress Disney.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

gonna requote this, for this.

Josh Lyman posted:

Even for First Take, this is ridiculous:

http://deadspin.com/how-espn-manufactures-a-story-colin-kaepernick-edition-1185400028

How ESPN makes it sausage.

God, gently caress Disney.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Badfinger posted:

MLB should get a lot of poo poo for a lot of things, but putting baseball games on the internet is not one of them. You do have to be a subscriber, but they put up all the broadcasts for every game, all the radio broadcasts, highlight packages and condensed games. They also have like a "greatest games" section where you can just go watch incredible old baseball games.

:doh: Yeah, you're right. My bad.

Some really interesting news about ESPN, Turner Sports and NASCAR:

quote:

ESPN and Turner Sports are talking with NASCAR about getting out of their broadcast rights agreement a year early, a move that could allow Fox Sports and NBC Sports Group to become the sport’s broadcasters next year.

It’s unlikely that the four TV companies will be able to reach a deal, sources say. But the fact that these types of talks are occurring is precedent-setting in an industry where live sports rights are held sacred. For at least the past decade, no rights holder has exited a major media agreement with a property early.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2013/08/26/Media/NASCAR-TV.aspx

It's really bizarre to see this happen because I recall during the early 2000's how much of a hot commodity NASCAR rights were for all involved. To the point where FOX went all in, created a whole bunch of shows devoted to the sport on Fox Sports, and even retooled Speedvision (now FS1) to become NASCAR-centric.

Also weird because Turner Sports used to be a tremendous broadcast partner for NASCAR (one of the first actually), which had the rights for the Coca-Cola 600. Same with ESPN, who had the rights to some of NASCAR's most historic races, and could be credited with turning it into a billion dollar empire it is today.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

In a perfect world, we'd see more "debate" shows more so like OTL/Olbermann, in studio radio shows like Dan Patrick and the highlights show more like Jay and Dan for Fox Sports Live.

There's your formula.

Needless to say, I've enjoyed Olbermann thus far.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I think the "NFL Today" had a drat good formula going on.

1 anchor who seemed very knowledgeable about the game.
1 former athlete
1 reporter
1 (racist) gambling guy

I don't need to hear Shannon Sharpe (the worst) on my TV, nor Ray Lewis. Keep the thing simple.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Whenever I hear Tom Rinaldi's voice, I generally change the channel.

I just don't get the appeal of the "Oprah" human interest story.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

jeffersonlives posted:

Depending on who "you" is they often don't; Keith Olbermann, for example, is legitimately more qualified to talk about baseball history than nearly anyone on the planet.

There's also a few "washouts" who indeed can be good analysts.

Sam Posey is a guy that did IndyCar color commentary during the 80's, and 90's. His career in the sport was less than spectacular to say the least (popular writer Robin Miller even said, "He talked more than he ever drove), but he was excellent in the booth. His knowledge and enthusiasm of auto racing made him an excellent commentator. Here's what he does now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PjspoYmUc0

Jon Beekhuis is another one of those guys. He only raced in 15 Indy races in his career. He made a move to be a pit guy, and his knowledge of the technical side of the sport is pretty incredible. He even has the nickname "Professor B".

Compare that to Mario Andretti, who was an amazing driver, but just flat out awful in the booth.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/september/colin-cowherd-s-new-football-show-is-bound-to-be-different-and-might-also-be-really-weird.html

quote:

But things might also get a little bit weird as Cowherd and ESPN try to take the zaniness to a strange new level. Here are some other segments planned for the show:

Digital originals – original digital shorts featuring Cowherd debuting on You Tube during the week will be used going in and out of breaks, including interviews with Bristol “Car Wash” guests conducted in a prop closet

Fake infomercials for “Colin-created” products

Cash, Car, Kids Game – viewers can play along from home and make picks with Cowherd.

ESPN seems to specialize in giving the viewer exactly what they don't demand.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Could always go where the XFL went, and do an Opie and Anthony Pre-game show.

Cowherd is literally the worst radio personality I've ever come across.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

I can't wait for his skit lampooning thug culture in the NFL.

I honestly think Rush Limbaugh would do a better job than this clown.

I realize that sounds completely insane, but at least Rush Limbaugh has a base to play to (even if it's a "gently caress the gays, america number 1!" base). Limbaugh is at least charismatic, and actually seems to treat his audience/demographic with some amount of respect. (even if, again it's Tea Partiers)

(before anyone flips out, I think giving Limbaugh a show would be a disaster, and would end within a matter of five minutes of being on the air. Just trying to make a point.)

Cowherd doesn't even have that. There is no audience for the guy. There is no "Clones" or "Dittoheads" that will listen to every word he says. He's not a very well-liked guy, period.

Cowherd has the political views of Rush Limbaugh, the charisma of Richard Lewis and :smug: of Bill Maher all wrapped up into one tidy package.

The only reason the guy is still literally on the air is because he has his lips firmly placed on the rear end of Disney/ESPN. He goes along with the company line, and is rewarded for doing so.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/23491546/fox-sports-will-be-active-participant-in-big-ten-rights-talks

This is old, but I want to toss it out there for discussion.

Honestly for the Big Ten it could be a good move on their part. For as much as the BTN is a propaganda wing of the conference, it does seem to give equal coverage to every member, and rarely tears down anyone within the conference.

FOX I think provides a very better platform for the network versus ESPN, who seems to hire people to specifically tear down the conference. Case in point?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCraRdPX5aI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuWmTNPqKXM

I don't think you'd see Fox do that if they indeed had the rights to the entire conference.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MourningView posted:

Tearing down the conference in this case meaning "accurately describing how terrible it is"

The criticism is justified.

The Big Ten isn't at the same level as the SEC.

The difference is Mark May seems to go out of his way to prove said point.

I view it as being potentially dangerous on a number of levels because...the media can directly influence what happens in College Football.

Everything from who gets to play in the National Championship Game, to the Heisman Vote (I'm saying this as if Mark May doesn't have a vote, and is potentially influencing others), to how programs are handled by the NCAA in terms of compliance.

I sound a little insane on this, but keep in mind, it's pretty much what led to Florida playing Ohio State in 2006.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MourningView posted:

This is a thing you just said about sports media coverage

Yeah, That was a poor choice of words.

I mean unless your covering up a Joe Paterno scandal or the NFL re: head trauma, it's not really dangerous. My mistake on that.

My bad.

Groucho Marxist posted:

So you just wanted an OSU/Michigan Big 10 wankfest that year but are opposed the recent LSU/Bama SEC wankfest?

Not necessarily. I think the media influenced both in negative ways actually.

I didn't feel when Gary Danielson was pounding the table for UF back in the day he was without bias. Certianly being employed by a network that has the rights to the SEC, would kind of tell you who he'd have preferred having in.

Now was he right? Yeah, but I kind of felt dirty in the way they determined who should have played who.

For the record, for both years I didn't want to see rematches. I felt once you lost in the regular season in conference, you're out of the title picture.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 13, 2013

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Drew Magary ‏@drewmagary 43s
EVERYONE DRAKE IS ON FIRST TAKE TALKING ABOUT JOHNNY FOOTBALL WHICH IS IMPORTANT

This pretty much sums up why I don't ever watch ESPN outside of Olbermann, OTL and live sporting events.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Groucho Marxist posted:

If Finebaum interviewing Drake doesn't sound like the best thing in the world, you're a lost cause.

I like F-Baum. He's good peeps. Listening to his radio show while driving to a job I worked on friday's during the fall was a treat.

Drake is awful, as is all of the Young Money crew. But that is for a different section of the forums I suppose.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

the only people who take NBCSN seriously are hockey fans

Their Formula 1 and IndyCar coverage is Supberb. :colbert:

Seriously, Leigh Diffey is really good.

also, in regards to NBC Sports:

quote:

NBC Sports Network is dumping the show that featured a guy shooting an elephant in the face. The show—hosted by NRA lobbyist Tony Makris—isn't being canceled for that episode with the elephant shooting, exactly (though that didn't help). Instead it's because Makris compared his critics to Hitler earlier this week. He said of his supposed critics: "And now they're shocked. And they said but they're so big and special and they're smarter. And I went, you know, Hitler would have said the same thing." That didn't go over well.

wait...what? How does that even...?

http://deadspin.com/nbc-sports-network-cancels-nra-sponsored-elephant-hunti-1417367389

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Quick Poll:

Worst pre-game show?

I have to go with CBS and ESPN being tied at the top. Shannon Sharpe is awful, as is Ray Lewis.

FOX is also awful.

NBC is probably the best (even with Peter King.), along with NFL Network.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Any answer that isn't having Bob Uecker or Vin Scully calling the World Series is incorrect.

E: AL Michaels needs back in the booth fwiw.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 30, 2013

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I feel a bit like a hypocrite, but for some reason I enjoy "College Football Final" on ESPN.

I have no idea why. I mean it features a lot of things that would be very cringe worthy in any other situation. A "mock debate", Lou Holtz, and Mark May.

However, I think Rece Davis does a tremendous job as an anchor, and for some reason "Embrace Debate" is okay when quarantined to discussing stupid things like "Who should play in the Rose Bowl?" is entertaining to me.

I think it'd be far better to just keep Mark May within that context, and have him not debate stuff like "ethics" of student athletes. You know..the type of stuff that would be better suited for a show like "OTL" or "PTI".

It kind of reminds of when ESPN would do RPM 2 NIGHT, or NFL Primetime. Both shows were very good, and often better than one would expect.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 2, 2013

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/december/espn-will-cover-the-bcs-title-game-like-it-s-the-last-ever-sporting-event-on-earth.html

gently caress ESPN, but is it bad I find this cool as hell?

quote:

ESPN: Traditional game coverage with Brent Musburger and Kirk Herbstreit.

ESPN2: “BCS Title Talk”

"will allow fans to eavesdrop on the casual and organic conversations of ESPN college football analysts and special guests such as coaches, players and celebrities discussing the game from an on-site room. On-screen graphics will incorporate game statistics and information as well as a “social stripe” that will provide live social media feedback throughout the telecast."

ESPNEWS: “BCS Film Room” on ESPNEWS

"will feature ESPN experts as well as guest coaches and players providing in-depth X and O analysis of the game as it happens from a film room equipped with multiple camera angles and touchscreens."

ESPN Classic: “Sounds of the BCS”

"presentation featuring only the natural sounds of the game. The telecast will couple ESPN’s on-screen game coverage with the audio originating from numerous microphones located within the stands, field and more as well as the in-stadium sound system. Classic’s coverage will include the halftime performances of the Florida State and Auburn marching bands."

ESPN Goal Line: “BCS Command Center”

"will provide a split screen application with live game action and immediate replays of every play. The coverage will use the ESPN Radio broadcast call and incorporate live game statistics on the screen."

ESPN3: Auburn and Florida State radio feeds

"The Florida State- and Auburn-specific coverage will feature the team’s home radio broadcast with an on-screen presentation providing fans with the game feed plus isolated cameras on key coaches and players from that team. The coverage will include the halftime performances of the Florida State and Auburn marching bands."

ESPN3: “BCS Campus Connection”

"will showcase live fan reactions from various watch parties within the home markets of Auburn and Florida State into the game coverage."

ESPN3: “BCS SpiderCam"

"Fans will be able to watch the entire game from the above stadium camera angle"

These are the type of things I'd love to see included in a Super Bowl telecast, and a whole number of other events.

For example? I'm a HUGE Indy 500 fan. You couldn't tell me it'd be amazing to see ESPN go all out on and cover such things as a crew covering the pits, in-cars, and various other camera angles. Same with Daytona, The Final Four and any other event you could toss out at me.

In terms of the "Radio" thing, I've been waiting for that for the longest time. If the NFL were to ever do that, I'd be more than willing to pay "x-amount of money" to have that package on my television.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

So, Megacast review?

-ESPN broadcast

Was good as usual. There was thankfully not a lot of Brent hounding over some hot chick in the stands, and it was much better this go around. If the rumors are true about Musburger retiring, it'll be kind of sad without him there.

-"Sounds of the BCS"

I felt it was an interesting concept, but the follow through wasn't very good. I tuned in to see the Half Time show, and found it kept getting interrupted by commercials. That was close to 90% of the reason I wanted to tune into watch it. Also it wasn't made available in HD, which itself prevented me from really tuning in all that much.

-"Film Room"

Excellent idea, and excellent follow through. The only thing that can truly be criticized for it is to have Matt Millen within the broadcast, but regardless, great idea.

-“BCS Command Center”

Interesting concept. found the ability to have stats flash on the screen an intriguing idea, and something like this would DEFINITELY be great for something like Monday Night Football. Not too sure how thrilled the NFL would be with it though.

-#titletalk

I saw several people in the NCAA thread describe it as being a big, live, podcast. I felt that this particular channel was at it's best when it was using Rece Davis as an "Anchor" of sorts. Having Tebow and Manziel together was rather interesting, and felt that made for an interesting watch. Cheyrl Hines was kind of an "iffy" get, but I feel if you tooled this particular version to cater towards the "casual" fan (IE,"Football for Dummies"-type), that it could go rather well.

Overall it felt like a great idea, and I very much enjoyed it. A few bugs here and there, but I think ESPN may have stumbled onto something that could prove to be revolutionary.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

go3 posted:

Is this the thread to say just how much I hate Fox and that I'll actually not watch sports I'm interested in if Fox is covering them

NASCAR?

Yeah they really had something terrific going on them up until around 04. Even the acquisition of SPEEDVISION was a good move at the time. I was actually a legitimate big fan of seeing them show the sport at the time.

It seemed they started listening to really dumb Marketing execs that seemed to go "HEY, REDNECKS AND PEOPLE WHO WANT TO BE LIKE REDNECKS LIKE NASCAR, LET'S CATER TOWARDS THEM". Soon you saw the broadcast devolve into Digger, the "boogity, boogity, boogity" stuff, and cramming Dierks Bentley into every broadcast. Stuff I never saw prior to that, and frankly never want to see ever again.

I think the problem with the NFL broadcast was when Madden and Summerall retired.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

And then kept watching because apparently we all hate ourselves and were sucked into Jonah Hill's borderline offensive awfulness.

Jonah Hill has actually became a "decent to good" actor recently.

I have no idea what happened, but after "Moneyball" he seemed to really get better. (21 Jump Street is a decent watch for example).

I need to go see how "Wolf of Wall Street" is.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

TL posted:

Would Fox have any interest/ability to rebrand YES under the Fox Sports banner?

They've already done it with Sports Time Ohio around here.

Frankly I'm shocked they've just not merged the two channels yet. (There's still a Fox Sports Ohio for some reason).

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Finally an excuse for me to bitch about CBS.

I've been a Browns fan since 1999. Meaning that during my entire tenture of watching that terrible excuse for a football team the games have been on CBS.

The pregame show is just flat out bad. Not that it would be any different than any other NFL pre game show, but it gets frustrating to watch.

I mean, I used to like back in the day when they had Jim Nantz as the host with Primetime and Jerry Glanville.

Now? The crew they have now is pretty much awful. Shannon Sharpe is such a terrible shill for the Ravens, that it just seems to infect the entire studio. There's points in seasons I watch that it just becomes a giant AFC North circle jerk between him, Cowher, and Boomer Easison.

The announcers for the games themselves are so bad, I mute them in favor of the radio broadcast.

Just an outright terrible version of football all around.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

DJExile posted:

To be fair, Jim Donovan calls a pretty good game, and unless they're playing against a big-name opponent, I don't really blame CBS for not sending their A-team to a Browns game.

Not in the least bit! He's actually my favorite Cleveland based announcer. He shows pure enthusiasm when the team actually does something good, and when he's interviewed on local Sports Talk? He blows me away with how GOOD he is with his knowledge of the team.

I miss "Browns Tonight" though. He used to host a round table with Dieken, and Sam Rutigliano discussing the team after every game on Monday nights.

It just would be nice to have it not be so awful across the board. NBC used to have a decent set of announcers back in the day to cover the league, to the point where even if you were getting the "B" or "C" team you were getting someone like Charlie Jones or Don Criqui to call it.

Solomon Wilcots is really, really bad ya'll.

Vertical Lime posted:

CBS, if for the Big Bang Theory alone, did not need it. NBCSN/Fox Sports 1 needed this to establish more credibility. I guess TNT declined because it came close to basketball season, plus they were needed for whatever conflicts in October. ABC has some established programming, Fox probably still had to air the X-Factor, and NBC could use anything on Thursdays.

Seriously, the least likely network won

CBS' sports division is pretty lackluster all things considered. CBSSN is pretty much useless and doesn't have the rights to anything.

At least with FS1, and NBCSN they're actually trying to develop themselves to create an alternative to ESPN.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 5, 2014

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Kind of more of a fun topic to bring up, but....

Just was watching a special on "Primetime" on NFL Network, and it reminded me of this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO9jo8XkOfA

Is it bad I felt Tim McCarver deserved this?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

DJExile posted:

A commenter on deadspin just shared an amazing story about Bob.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCS3dZG05gc

AND THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE BECAUSE BOB COSTAS SAID SO.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Alright.

I respect Ice Skating. I think it requires a great deal of athletic ability, and can also be rather incredible.

That being said.

NBC. Could you please stop showing it every goddamned day?

I just want to watch some bobsledding or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Benne posted:

The sooner Internet nerds come to terms with the fact that they're not NBC's target audience and will never be as long as the monster primetime ratings keep coming in, the better.

E: Also figure skating is cool :colbert:

It's not my cup of tea, but I respect the sport.

By the way, the most accurate joke I ever heard in "Rickey Bobby" re: Auto Racing was the line said by Bill Weber during the final scene:

"We'd like to thank you for joining us for NBC's coverage of NASCAR. Coming up next, it's Ice Dancing to the hits of Motown."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj2o7a-DpAo

I swear to god, that would happen every other week I watched a race growing up as a kid.