Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Pittsburgh goons.

How the hell does Mark Madden have a job?

Was driving home from Pittsburgh for a job interview, and this guy is simply an rear end.

He kept doing some poor man's Jim Rome schtick re: NASCAR Racing, and called it a "bunch of rednecks driving around in circles"

The proceed to claim that said race was "Fixed". (awfully big allegations made by someone who I recall reading started his career covering pro wrestling).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

I think it's mostly that people with decent opinions on sports generally don't seem to listen to sports talk radio, so the ratings are largely driven by the morons who think like Mark Madden.

He was kind of saying some borderline homophobic comments about Michael Sam while I was listening.

The other Pittsburgh station wasn't terrible. (the CBS Sports based one). They were actually talking about Hockey...which was an interesting listen for someone from out of town.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Sash! posted:

I thought it was against the law to live within 90 miles of Pittsburgh and not have at least one of your car presets set to DVE

The only thing I know about WDVE, is that they were the ones behind "Action League Now!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZEnonxpsyI

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I turned on Sportscenter to see if they're mentioning anything about Kurt Busch doing the double, because..it's kind of a big deal in auto racing terms

Holy hell, I turned it on and they had Stephen A. Smith and Tim Legler screaming at each other over who the NBA MVP should be.

Jesus.

Do people really give that much of a poo poo about this? Am I that out of touch?

Thank god I watch Dan Patrick show and other alternatives over this garbage.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MourningView posted:

Much more than they give a poo poo about loving NASCAR, yes.

I swear to god at least a third of the posts in this thread are you complaining about them not covering cars driving in circles enough.

No, no.

I'm not upset about the lack of coverage. I understand that. That's expecting too much and that wasn't the point of my post. (I was actually trying to give myself a legitimate reason to tune in because I know for a fact it was going to be awful).

The point was how awful the segment was.

I think the NBA is definitely worthy of coverage. I didn't mean to slight the association, and there are stories from there.

But it's rather amazing how they have segments like that.

The sport is irrelevant in this case, it's more criticizing how bad the television is.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

It will probably get coverage tonight. Not enough people give a drat about it that they're going to rewrite a rundown for it.

It was more so curiosity to see if the story was big enough or not.

Like, if they ignored it, I'm fine with it because it means it wasn't a big story. (turns out they are about to cover it in a few moments).

But really the post was just to see how ridiculous the segment I viewed actually was. Like...you're having a screaming match over a fairly irrelevant topic in sports.

I could understand if this was something related to concussions, gay athletes or something of that nature.

If you're getting worked up about the topic of MVP....what in the gently caress?

Also great post R.D. Mangles.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The one thing that still amazes me about ESPN is...when they put their time and effort on something, and don't half rear end it? They do indeed live up to the "World Wide Leader" slogan.

The Megacast, "30 for 30 series", "Outside the lines", and "Olbermann" are all very much worthy of praise.

Sportscenter I kind of view as something that's been half assed in quite a few ways.

It feels like "First Take" was literally a virus that has spread throughout the network.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

That also seemed like the worst idea, although I can't claim that I watched it to confirm. The coaches thing was pretty good but it would work better as a replay on ESPN classic or something.

The Celebrity thing wasn't half-bad for what it was.

The smart thing would have been for it to cater towards casual fans who have no clue about the game.

It was at it's best when Rece Davis was kind of guiding things.

They hosed up the worst during the "Sounds of the BCS" on ESPNU where they kept cutting to commercial. I found that to be dumb. They should have at the very least showed the half time show in full.

I think the multi-cast thing can work,

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

So Brent Musberger has officially taken a demotion that ESPN has spun brilliantly as "THE #1 ANCHOR OF SEC NETWORK" (which works as long as you pretend SEC Network is going to get any game more important than Arkansas vs Troy or something).

It's been assumed Chris Fowler is Musberger's replacement as ESPN's #1 guy, to be paired with Kirk Herbstreit, but now that we're at the door, we'll see if ESPN gets any last minute ideas. Who would you choose to replace one of the current most iconic voices in sports?

Brent is indeed an icon.

Sounds stupid to say, but back when he and Danielson were paired up for Big Ten ball, it helped me get into the sport more.

Al Michaels, Dick Enberg, Jim McKay and Brent are/were guys you can literally toss anywhere to cover an event, and they'll have you watching until the end.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Anyone else digging the TNT/TBS/CBS integration for March Madness?

Save for the whole "Jim Nantz is our lead announcer" thing, it feels like they have a good thing going on.

Always felt the Ernie Johnson, Charles Barkley, Kenny Smith studio team made the NBA Playoffs quite fun to watch.

I wish those guys would cover the NBA Finals over ESPN.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Moktaro posted:

Not sure if this will go anywhere, but would anyone like to discuss horse race broadcasting? I've had TVG for a while now and also have memories going back to Jim McKay's "just retire already" years at the Derby (not quite as bad as the last couple Dick Clark's NYE's but still a bit cringeworthy), and the first Breeders Cup when NBC thought it would be a grand idea to bring in the comedian who did the Dorf character to do a skit between races. :wtc:

I think with McKay he built up quite a bit of good will, probably why he kept the gig you're referring to. His coverage of the 1972 Olympics was amazingly good considering the time he was in, and how he handled it.

I happen to think what he and Roone Arledge did for sports broadcasting is truly amazing in building an "Empire" over at ABC.

I'm not as familiar with his horse racing background, but as a Sportscaster he is truly up there.

To anyone here, I'd highly HBO's "Jim McKay: My World in My Words" if it ever airs again.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I just remember finding him rather unbearable for the duration he was on because he was kind of a Ravens honk.

As a Browns fan, it was really not worth watching a lot of weeks because of that. It'd always be him and Cowher grab assing the whole time about their rivalry. It didn't help that it felt like the AFC North had a representative for every team with the exception of the Browns. (Boomer with the Bengals, Cowher with the Steelers, and Sharpe with the Ravens).

Great player, Hall of Famer, etc. But I'm kind of glad he's not around.

Honestly, I was a bit disappointed CBS went away from the one pre game show that had Deion Sanders, Jerry Glanville, and Mike Ditka. I always felt that crew was quite good, and always felt Nantz served as a better host, than an anchor.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Can someone explain why I can't get the Cbus-Pitt NHL game?

I have NBCSN. I don't live in either market.

What the gently caress?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

What are you getting instead?

Are you sure that you aren't on the very edge of one of the markets? I run into that problem with the Blues.

I live in the Akron-Canton region of Northeast Ohio.

I read some place that the game was supposedly on FSNOhio, but all they're showing is a Women's Softball game.

Cleveland-Akron-Canton-Youngstown is stuck in some weird Hockey "No Man's Land" I guess?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

DJExile posted:

Yeah it's FSN. I live in Toledo and this happens every once in a while.

It's kind of confusing.

I mean Columbus games should be in the Cleveland, Dayton, Akron, Canton, and Cincy markets. (I'll argue that Toledo is likely more Red Wings country, and the Penguins should be for Youngstown due to proximity).

If I can recall, while at a hotel in the Columbus area, I could receive both Reds, and Tribe games at the same time.

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/assets/3310263/NHL_TV_Markets.jpg

I mean according to this map, I could be on the border line to get both Penguins AND Jackets games. If that's the case allow me to get them or show me the game on NBCSN at least!

e: Apparently we live in Penguins country according to a coverage thing I entered in at NHL.com, yet we do not receive Root Sports in any capacity.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 20, 2014

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cleveland seems like it's still kind of a mess.

Common sense would have been after Fox Sports bought out Sports Time Ohio, that they would have just had moved the Cavs to STO, then have made that the Cleveland-oriented channel.

From there the option to air the Cavs and Tribe should have remained in Colunbus via having that channel (and perhaps claiming that as a split town), and then to either have Cleveland get it's Hockey from Root Sports Pittsburgh, and/or the Cincy/Columbus-oriented FSNOhio.

But it appears there's still three version of "Fox Sports" in Ohio. Which is really one too many.

I kind of wonder if it's due to three baseball teams kind of being exclusive to their respective regions and causing the problem.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

Up here between Weirton/Steubenville and Wheeling we get all the Pittsburgh channels but while Root Sports and PCNC are in the actual cable listings, all the network stations are back in the 190s and 200s. Odd considering for years you could pick up Steubenville's WTOV-9 in Pittsburgh on channel 9.

Huntington is really weird too. Maybe it was just the hotel we stayed at, but we got Root Sports but not Cincy or Columbus, which it's closer to.

I mean it's really an outdated concept at this point.

I'm kind of shocked one cannot go À la carte, pick the teams they like, and then be guaranteed said Team's individual channels.

Fox Sports Ohio/Sports Time Ohio/Root Pittsburgh are dinosaurs at this point. The same is very much true with DirecTV/Time Warner Cable.

A far better option would be to have a series of individual channels for the 92 teams out there. These channels could be accessed anywhere from your cable plan, XBOX, Tablet, IPhone or PC.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 21, 2014

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Peanut President posted:

That's amazing.

Their wings are really tasty, as is their sauce.

I used to go to the one in Cranberry/Butler all the time, and then we finally got one in our hometown.

Bonus? There's a poo poo ton of NASCAR memorabilia at every one I've been to. (Sharon, Cranberry/Butler, and North Canton).

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2014/05/16/ken-carman-to-the-national-media-stop-complaining/

Normally I'd say "Sports Talk Radio sucks", but Ken Carman is quite good on this rant.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

I wonder if TBS and WGN ever realize how many Braves and Cubs fans it made by showing pretty much all of their games way back in the day. When I was a kid, only Minnesota Twins road games were on TV; the Pohlads refused to allow home games on TV unless there was a sellout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykTGLqXUfJ4

Utah, Louisana, North Dakota and Hawai'i in this clip.

Gotta hand it to Ted Turner. For him to have done that back then was pretty revolutionary.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Can I be real here?

I'm watching the NBA Finals (mainly so I can have something to talk about with a friendly co-worker tomorrow), and am I incorrect for feeling that Breen/Van Gundy/Jackson are, well, terrible?

I feel sometimes it wanders into Sports Talk Radio-level type of in-game discussion, and it gets rather aggravating.

Am I incorrect on not really finding them very good?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I just find ESPN's coverage of the NBA really bad. Especially with "Inside the NBA" and "NBA on TNT" being quite better at covering the sport.

I'm a tad confused as to why I should consider Tim Legler an expert on the NBA for example.

It also doesn't feel right to have that type of crew call a game like that. The NBA Finals was seemingly always called by people like Brent Musburger, Dick Stockton, or Marv Alberts. All three of those guys did a fantastic job, and they were generally paired with some great analysts.

I do believe ESPN has the type of talent on their own roster right now to have their own version of what I just mentioned, but they really don't seem to utilize it well at all.

Mike Tirico (sexual harassment aside) is a fantastic play by play guy. I actually like the MNF pairing he has with Gruden as it gives off a "Musburger/Vermeil" type vibe. (I actually would like to see them both doing college games more often, but that's for another time). I like the suggestion of Doris Burke. If not for Hubie Brown being up there in age I'd have paired him with Tirico, but Burke works quite well.

I kind of wonder if SVG would be better off in pregame? I think Jackson should be coaching in the NBA

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 11, 2014

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

In terms of the "Sports Talk Radio on TV" format, it is rather dumb.

I've been honestly quite enjoying flipping to CBSSN and NBCSN lately.

I'm an auto racing fan (surprise, surprise) so I quite enjoy when they show series I normally don't go out of my way to watch on a Wednesday night. I also think it's cool they air stuff that's random like Beach Volleyball and World's Strongest man.

Even just purely as background noise it works quite a bit better than the current "EMBRACE DEBATE" set up that ESPN currently does.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Anyone else been enjoying Olbermann lately?

His commentary on the Ray Rice situation was brilliant.

Perfect combination of his MSNBC and ESPN career.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Niwrad posted:

What is the deal with Frank Caliendo? I switched to ESPN like 5 times throughout the day and he was on every single time. Did they turn the network over to him or something?

I think he has his moments.

I thought him playing Gruden in front of Gruden was really funny.

e: Just the head nodding and awkward staring makes it good.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 25, 2014

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Any one else ever watch arena football?

(probably not)

They just showed something pretty incredible the NFL likely would never do in a million years on the CBSSN broadcast I'm watching.

They actually mic the refs up during a replay, and have them explain their ruling to the audience while they're looking over the play.

Liked it quite a bit.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

So, I guess now.nfl.com is going to be a thing.

quote:

YOUR NFL. YOUR WAY. NOW.

Watch the best of the NFL, personalized for YOU
Largest digital library of NFL content … anywhere.
Available on all your favorite devices
Select your favorite teams or fantasy players and get non-stop news and analysis
On-demand highlights on gamedays
NFL Now video library includes NFL Network and NFL Films Archive.

Do you think this will be anything worth a drat?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

What I was kind of hoping for is that they pretty much blow the NFL Films library wide open and allow me access to pretty much everything ever made.

Frankly I would be willing to pay a certain pre-set price for all inclusive streaming/on demand package for the NFL similar to that.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Why does Chris Myers still have a broadcasting job

He has some awful opinions and is a jerk to fans as well.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://deadspin.com/keith-olbermann...dium=socialflow

God Olbermann is literally perfect in this role.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MourningView posted:

He's good when he has a worthy target. He can still be an obnoxious rear end in a top hat a lot of the time.

That's kind of what I'm getting at honestly.

Trot him in when something like this happens, and he's drat near perfect.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

NFL Talk.

I think that CBS sucks at covering pro football. This isn't to say that they're not good at covering other things, and that back in the 80's they were not good at covering the NFC (Because they were good at that), but the AFC package? It's a bit of a disaster. Their commentator pairings always seem to irritate me to no end.

If things could be done over? I really wish it would have been this:

Fox with the NFC
NBC with the AFC
CBS with the Sunday Night Game

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Hockles posted:

I posted about it in the Week 1 N/V thread, but the Browns (and apparently other NFL teams) are now streaming their radio broadcasts online. For me, on Time Warner Cable, having the game air on CBS, muting the TV and listening to the radio stream is almost a perfect sync, so I get the best of both worlds. Last week, the TV feed on Fox was too far behind the radio broadcast to do that.

Generally that's the route I go (regardless of delay), but I've been watching the game with friends and they rend to not believe in doing such things.

Fox's coverage was bearable, but I think it's because Kenny Albert is decent. Spero Dedes and Solomon Wilcots? Ugh.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Alright, which pairing is worse?

Buck/Aikman or Nantz/Simms.

I'm going with the CBS crew because it's just grating like all hel. Aikman is kind of a non-entity in terms of being annoying.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Robnoxious posted:

Buck is the annoying PBP guy and Simms is the grating color guy.

The worst pairing is Chris Myers and whoever sits next to Chris Myers.
It's unfortunate, but the color guy is guilty by association with loving Chris Myers.

Chris Meyers is a dumbed down version of Bob Costas.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I realize, nostalgia can kind of cloud one's vision, but I think when NBC had the AFC package, and Fox/CBS had the NFC? Both had a solid cast of commentators. I'm kind of mainly going off of old games that were hosted on youtube for a short time until the NFL did what they always do and yanked them down.

NBC? Dick Enberg was your lead guy, excellent choice. You also had Marv Albert, Charlie Jones, Don Criqui, Thom Hammond as your fallback guys.

Fox and CBS. Well, to begin at the top for both? Madden and Summerall were beyond belief good at what they did. There's a reason why Madden is so often mocked, and it's because he was good at being a color guy. For CBS you had Verne of course, and Dick Stockton, who I still consider quite solid.

I'll make a weird case here. I think Nantz seems more at home calling College Football for some reason. He seems quite a bit better calling a Clemson game from 1988, than in calling a Super Bowl.

The current teams seem like a mess from the top down really.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

I can't wait to get my hands on a Cleveland PROGRESSIVE AUTO INSURANCE or Boston DUNKIN DONUTS jersey for Christmas.

It'll be Quicken Loans, Fathead, Horseshoe Casino, and (in the future) LRMR Marketing for the Cavs IMO.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

ESPN is literally showing "Cross Fit" on TV. Right now.

People actually paid money and took times out of their day to watch people work out.

Kenny Powers has never been more right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De7rbB2bteE

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Great White Hope posted:

I own this on VHS.

It's just as dreadful as it sounds.

Todd Harris called it.

It makes that even more amusing to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Sash! posted:

Remember when ESPN Classic went from showing things like "top 25 Tyson knockouts!" and "the 1982 Pitt-Penn State game" to ESPNPOKER literally overnight?

Extreme Sports
NASCAR
Poker
UFC

I remember all four of those being talked about as having the ability to overtake the NFL in popularity or at least being talked about as replacing one of the "Big 4".

...and then the bubble would burst and it was onto the next "Big thing".