Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Island Nation posted:

At least the NHL didn't get the memo. ESPN and TNT both have tiny boxes.

ESPN’s mildly annoys me because they don’t always show a shots on goal counter like everyone else does. TNT’s is fine because IIRC it’s mostly the same as the old NBC one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I am strongly of the belief that his addiction to hairplugs causing him to nearly permanently lose his voice caused him to re-evaluate how he approaches his job, because ever since he's been so loose in the booth it's been unreal

I’m pretty sure this isn’t a secret and he’s flat out said in interviews that the combination of the issue with his vocal cords from hairplug anesthesia and simultaneously going through a divorce made him change a lot of stuff. He got remarried a few years later which and it’s 100% night and day.

Dexo posted:

It's just very weird, I think he just allows himself to have more fun now.

Yeah, you see that come out when he does guest spots on TV shows, like some of his appearances on Brockmire. Joe Buck circa 2004 (Aka “That’s a disgusting act!” era) never would have done or said half that stuff.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

DJExile posted:

get the slime cannons ready mother fuckers because the Nickelodeon game is BACK :frogc00l:

That poo poo was hilarious last year and hopefully this time the game is worthy of it.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

FlamingLiberal posted:

I remember them having some silly side events years ago during the Pro Bowl like volleyball, but even with that some players still got hurt

I just don’t think something like a Pro Bowl is a good idea in a sport like football

They had a lot of that stuff in the 90s and early 00s, notably the QB passing skills competition was a thing for a long time, but it went away for a while in the mid 00s. They’ve brought back a lot of things like skills stuff and have done things like dodgeball and whatnot the last few years. Most fans still don’t care.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Niwrad posted:

I would tune in to see who could throw a football the farthest between Mahomes and Allen. And if they had races between the fastest players.

They did have a race between a few players, which included Tyreek Hill clearly not giving serious effort. It’s not like Darrel Green who was still trying to be the fastest man in the NFL at 40.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

wyoak posted:

They used to have beach flag football (I think it was 7s) in the pro bowl lead up but then that Bills player got hurt bad enough he almost lost his leg so that was that

Did that happen twice or are you thinking of Patriots RB Robert Edwards? He’s the one I remember ruining his knee and nearly losing the leg during the rookie flag football game they had back in the 90s.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

As if MNF couldn't get any worse.

They could bring back Joe Theismann yet again. Or Jason Witten.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

No surprise there. He worked his way up to being their #2 guy the last few years and is generally pretty good. I wonder if they’ll keep Greg Olsen with him or not.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Bird in a Blender posted:

I forget, is Buck still doing MLB games for Fox, or is he out entirely?

psyer posted:

He is out of Fox entirely.

Specifically, he and Aikman went to ESPN to do Monday Night Football (Where Buck’s wife already works). The new TV contracts are going to take effect after next season, which will see ESPN get better games than they did under the current contract, IIRC they’ll be included in flex scheduling as well to get better games later in the year, and eventually a pair of Super Bowls on ABC.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
A small bit of video from that draft is part of this classic video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZxNeFLuY98

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Crazy Ted posted:

Yeah. IIRC in the years after the Raiders/Rams moved out of Los Angeles in 1995 the NFL Ratings for the LA area actually went up because of the amount of apathy people had toward the Rams combined with the fact that Los Angeles was getting the best games in each time slot.

Don’t forget the impact of the blackout rules back then. IIRC the LA Raiders had trouble selling out the Coliseum (Due to its size and facilities) and so they got blacked out a number of times as well even when the team was good.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

gently caress it’s not going to YouTube? that blowwws. i really loved Red Zone. it’s how I watched most NFL stuff

e: https://www.theverge.com/2022/12/23/23523280/youtube-nfl-redzone-channel-sunday-ticket

ah maybe it’s still here? just not on DirectTV? i hope I don’t have to pay for Sunday Ticket for it.

It’s a little confusing, but there were two RedZone channels that basically did the same thing.

NFL RedZone, officially named as “NFL RedZone from NFL Network” is the one hosted by Scott Hanson that’s on various different cable providers and IIRC a few streaming services as well. This started in 2009

“Red Zone Channel” was the one hosted by Andrew Siciliano and was exclusively part of DirecTV’s Sunday Ticket package. This one actually started earlier, in 2005.

“Red Zone Channel” with Siciliano is gone now that Sunday Ticket is leaving DirecTV for YouTube TV. YouTube TV is simply going to include “NFL RedZone from NFL Network” with Hanson that all the other cable providers already use rather than have their own special version of it like DirecTV did.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Luigi Thirty posted:

I remember when the Bucs sucked before they won the Super Bowl the games were on UPN for god’s sake.

That was just preseason games, which are often on semi-random channels and aren’t subject to the same network agreements as regular season games. The Dolphins I think had some on preseason games on CW over the years for comparison.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Edward Mass posted:

ESPN has announced an eight-part series on the New York Yankees.

I’d watch an eight-part series just on YankeesFans.gif, but not the team itself

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Forrest on Fire posted:

Oh so NOW sports media wants Kevin to chase a ring

:golfclap:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I know for a while its been on ESPN+? Was it ever on actual television or just the internet? At least lately.

ESPN or ESPN2 used to show a simulcast of TSN or whatever network airs it in Canada during like late July or early August when the only major sport on would be baseball or maybe preseason NFL games. I’d always randomly see it every year and maybe put part of a game on in the background now and then.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

DJExile posted:

Mods make this picture the thread background right now pls and thx u

https://twitter.com/knicks_tape99/status/1663373995679404032?s=46

also the background of the Sports Journalism thread

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
:laugh:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Aye Doc posted:

anyone know if 22.64m people laughing in unison at the new york jets is also a new record

It might be, some quick googling says only 17~ million people may have watched the Buttfumble game...

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

FlamingLiberal posted:

The NFL just needs to scrap the entire Pro Bowl thing and just release a list of players who were Pro Bowlers at the end of the season at awards time.

They’ll keep it around because even if hardcore fans hate it, the thing still draws TV viewers every year.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

DJExile posted:

Less and less of them, though

Granted yeah what else are you going to run in February against it but it’s definitely shrinking across the board in popularity both among casual and hardcore fans.

Yeah, but IIRC it still gets more viewers than poo poo like MLB or NHL playoff games prior to the World Series/Stanley Cup finals because its NFL related. Hell, it's a mild joke every August that the Hall of Fame game, which is an extra preseason game with 3rd and 4th string dudes on a Thursday night that really only true degenerates (:wave:) should watch, sometimes gets 4-5 million people watching and sometimes out draws key playoff games from other sports.

Forrest on Fire posted:

Did moving it before the super bowl help ratings? I remember they did it to make the game "more serious" or something.

Yes. Here's numbers prior to this year quickly taken from one of the first Google results:

Now, a few things about those numbers: The lows in 2004-2006 correspond with the Pro Bowl being only on ESPN rather than network TV, the previous decade it had been on ABC. The next three years, the same network that did the Super Bowl had the rights, so it went through CBS, Fox, and NBC from 2007-2009 and saw some increases.

2010 is when it went to before the Super Bowl, and back to ESPN, and that gave it a boost. It went up more the next year on Fox, then was still high the next three years on NBC. 2015 is when it dropped again, which was when it went back to ESPN (Where it's stayed since) and was the 2nd year of the unconferenced format. It stayed reasonably steady for a few years, even as everyone complained about the lack of effort by the players, lack of players from Super Bowl teams, more and more players just choosing not to go so you're seeing 4th and 5th alternates at key spots, and all that. They didn't play in 2021 due to COVID, then the last normal game that was played in 2022 had the ratings go down further as the complaints about it being clear the players mostly didn't give a gently caress and injury/replacement guys going (This was the year Mac Jones got in as a replacement, for example).

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
John Clayton was only 67 when he died a few years back, he just looked at lot older.

Obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvXRaSvxmqg

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Kibner posted:

i only didn't know about ion because i don't know what ion is.

One of those channels that constantly shows marathons of SVU, Chicago P.D., Bones, Criminal Minds, and such all day every day.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

EL BROMANCE posted:

Pretty sure I’ve seen Ion in OTA listings.

Yeah, they're available OTA as a digital subchannel.

For those who remember PAX from the late 90s/early 00s, Ion is what they rebranded to 15~ years ago.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Does NBC still own Roundball Rock

No, Fox got the rights in 2018 and uses it for college basketball.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Seinfeld and Law & Order reruns and LOTR marathons are more than enough to sustain a cable channel

Joking aside, they lost the syndication rights to both those shows years ago. They haven't had Law & Order since 2019, and Seinfeld moved to Comedy Central on Cable/Netflix for streaming back in 2021.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
In relation to the thread title, Comcast pulled the Bally Sports channels yesterday. Apparently, part of the issue is Comcast wants to move it to a higher cable tier, although if you try to go to one of the channels, it displays a message right now that starts off with "The owner of Bally Sports is in bankruptcy proceedings".

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Lockback posted:

I hope the fight between Comcast and Bailey's ends in mutual destruction.

I'm just glad it started the day after the Panthers-Lightning series ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
My entire knowledge of Dude Perfect is they randomly show up at some intermission or halftime thing, it is apparent instantly they are loving terrible, to which everyone groans and mutes their TV or complains in a GDT.