Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

[quote="“FlamingLiberal”" post="“477220185”"]
This is especially stupid because the only people whining about her Trump comments are literal white supremacists.
[/quote]

Nah, your average Trump voter doesn't like it either because even if they don't like what he's been doing in office, you don't want people to think you voted for a white supremacist. They're mad because of how it makes them look, so they just call her a racist because they don't know what else to say, and it fits in the purview of "talking about race divides us, so black people should be quiet."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Niwrad posted:

Says most of the people at ESPN are fans of Barstool. Kind of credits Sam Ponder for picking the perfect time to get back at him for what he said years ago.

you know what, i'm just gonna pretend it's ESPN letting Sam Ponder plan out an incredibly elaborate prank to gently caress with Portnoy.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

EvanTH posted:

I don't understand? Are you saying this article is furthering a misogynistic construction since they find it exceptional and newsworthy when a woman travels and works on a holiday?

i think he's saying (through use of sarcasm) that the article is an example of a woman working just as hard as a man, thus disproving that old (false) adage.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Number 1 Jamiroquai Fan Katie Nolan

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

GobiasIndustries posted:

What exactly is her job at ESPN other than the upcoming podcast?

also lol
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/949419002442534912

this is literally a no-win situation for ESPN; if they don't suspend her they get yelled at by conservative assholes for not suspending her and by everyone else for not suspending the white lady when they suspended the black lady. if they do suspend her, they will continue to get yelled at by conservative assholes for some other thing because culture war bullshit is how they work and they'll get yelled at by everyone else because suspending someone for calling Donald Trump, noted Stupid Person, a stupid person is really loving stupid.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I've watched yesterday and today's episodes of Around the Horn and Tony Riali gets an A for his coverage and commentary of the Nassar trial. I haven't seen that much coverage of it on ESPN aside from his show and the Outside the Lines episode. And its been the same kind of around the news network. Turns out when a giant orange gasbag is about to shut down the government, coverage of other things falls by the wayside.

I'm very curious how NBC is going to handle it over the course of the Winter Olympics. They would have a great excuse to avoid it completely since it's the Winter Games and gymnastics is a summer event, but they lived so far up the rear end in a top hat of the Karyolis every four years that it would be a shame if they didn't come out and say "you know what, we were wrong, we were covering these people while they were covering for a monster and we hosed up."

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

AsInHowe posted:

Doing nothing isn't the worst possible response.

https://twitter.com/DanMurphyESPN/status/954441768426237953

jesus loving christ

I was all onboard for burning down the entire penn state campus after the Sandusky trial but at least they launched everyone who covered that poo poo up into the sun.

we need a giant earthquake to strike East Lansing or something.

edit: even if it is not your fault (and I'm definitely not saying if it is or isn't), if you are the president of a university where a doctor has abused dozens of athletes, and the athletic program covered it up, you shouldn't have your job, or indeed any job in charge of a college or university ever again.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Jemele is a Michigan State grad, I wouldn't be surprised if she saw all of the great journalistic work being done around the program and its spectacular implosion and had a desire to do more important work than hosting Sportscenter.

I can't imagine how it would feel to watch the school and athletic program that I went to and worked with for years and years and still had pride in turn out to harbor a coverup this disgusting, and it's probably made her rethink her relationship with sports in general. Her article about the Nassar trial and MSU's reaction (which was written before the OTL report, which makes things so much worse for the school) are worth reading. She mentions being friendly with Kathy Klagies, I'm sure she had some sort of relationship, even just a press/subject one, with Izzo as well, and possibly Dantonio depending on when she went to school there.

edit: it bums me out because I really like her as a host, and she and Michael Smith have great chemistry, and it stinks to lose that. Knowing that it was her decision and didn't have to do with ESPN further retreating into the assholes of regressive shitheads makes me feel better about it.

Now you know what you have to do ESPN: Give Katie Nolan the job she's meant to have.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

put Olbermann on Highly Questionable, watch him storm angrily off the set the first time Papi pulls his hand away

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Crazy Ted posted:

Deitsch also Tweeted that there's going to be legal news coming out about ESPN.

Sean Miller is taking a proactive stance about accusing him of paying players, I bet.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

replace mike greenerrg with katie nolan and then i'll watch

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Vertical Lime posted:

because of scheduling conflicts on usa and cnbc, some nhl playoff games are gonna be on the golf channel

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/983440664192081920

would be very appropriate if they were completed sweeps

also

https://twitter.com/HQonESPN/status/983449976704524288

they should have had Hank Azaria in character as Apu, really go for topicality

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

it's really dumb but i laugh hysterically every time they play that clip of Mina Kimes yelling dramatically about Ohtani on PTI. I hope they never stop.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

4th place goes to Freddy, it was higher before i realized all the jokes were gonna be bad
3rd place to Hot Takes Sauce, which is a a boring costume but we get great jokes
2nd place to Frankseca, solid pun, mocking someone who deserves copious mocking
1st place to Cardi, drat girl, you look good, in a different life Izzy could have been on Drag Race

edit: also respect that we get three bad new york accents and a bad british accent

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Vertical Lime posted:

this isn't a completely new thing

for example, the vma's have aired simultaneously in recent years on mtv's sister networks (and ratings continue to plummet no matter what)

because the VMAs are roughly as relevant to today's music industry as The Travel Agents Association of America's Travel Agent of the Year Awards are to american travel

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

i hope LeBatard spills the details on this because holy poo poo

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

MourningView posted:

He immediately dropped 40 on someone which rules. But there are also guys like Mike Martz (still getting his QB absolutely anhilated on 7 step drops in 2019!) and Mike Singletary coaching. It seems like in general they went big names rather than guys who actually understand modern football. I'd rather try to poach a lower division college coach with an interesting offense.

they probably wanted the big names to prove to people that there is support and bring in people who might otherwise write it off. I'd guess that most of the coaches there now won't be in 2-3 years.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Vertical Lime posted:

the cubs' new network in collaboration with sinclair is official

https://twitter.com/MLBBruceLevine/status/1095635520665911296

Oh cool I can’t wait for the seventh inning stretching truth segment with Boris Epshteyn

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

i love the usual group of scoundrels that show up to guest-host HQ but when they get a guest host and poo poo on them relentlessly it's pretty great

and Bosh is a great sport

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

this stands in stark contrast to that same day's episode of PTI, which I had to turn off because Tony and Wilbon were giving off the absolute worst Old Man Takes imaginable about a school getting kicked out of a D3 conference because they had like, twice as much money as everyone else and kept winning everything for a solid decade

the second I heard the words "participation trophies" the television went off

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

honestly the technology at work here (with all of the live telestration stuff) sounds kinda cool and might get me to watch an alternate broadcast but you oughta get stat nerds on there instead of a random selection of four people who were available that night (although you can keep Katie as color IMO)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

the chickens and confetti cannon really add another level to it

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Dan's spitting fire at the culture of complicity at ESPN

https://twitter.com/ErickFernandez/status/1151943048101814273

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Rick posted:

I don't know how TruTV keeps plodding along. I watch Impractical Jokers and followed the Chris Gethard show there when it was there so that makes me one of the network's most dedicated watchers but I have been expecting them to flip it to like 24/7 Adult Swim or something for a while.

as a certified "well actually" dude Adam Ruins Everything is absolutely my poo poo

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://twitter.com/AlwaysLateESPN/status/1165363608316010496

ESPN making some changes to their afternoon lineup.

There was originally a clip of Highly Questionable with a really adorable tiny old dog but the tiny old dog's son got suspended for calling Donald Trump "a son of a bitch" and spending a few minutes talking about Trump's policy regarding the endangered species list.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

oh man old town road is good

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

i didn't know they did an episode of Frasier where Niles was a sportscaster

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Vertical Lime posted:

https://twitter.com/gregcote/status/1197610807070203913

dan brought up papi's status on the radio show today

papi's fine, he just doesn't want to work as much due to age

it's a bummer but you really can't blame the guy for not wanting to work a full week in his seventies. I hope we still get Papi weeks every so often.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

if there was ever a time for an Every 30 For 30 Ever marathon, now would be that time

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://twitter.com/HQonESPN/status/1245455465988882433

this lockdown has everyone on edge

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://twitter.com/AlwaysLateESPN/status/1248389057509351424

katie nolan once again providing top tier quaran-tainment

I mean I think the top three are Lin-Manuel, DWade and Clayton Kershaw but bringing in the Sanchize dressed like a cowboy might be the most entertaining

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

the actual funniest part is Scott Hanson showing up, Katie pointing out the irony of both him and Andrew Siciliano being in a giant PIP and wondering allowed if there's some sort of contractual obligation for them to not be on screen at the same time, and then Hansen bouncing very quickly

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I would very much like sports to come back but also ESPN's documentary department is consistently their best aspect and them getting a bunch more high profile airings of shows about people/things everyone loves (or in the case of Lance Armstrong, love to hate) is awesome. I'll take a 30 for 30 every Sunday please.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

jase1 posted:

They keep playing that game 7 from the 2016 nba finals and I appreciate that so much.

it's the greatest basketball game of all time, who could blame them

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Some Canadian entity should make one of these about Gretzky, he's very similar to Jordan career-wise, right down to the gambling loving up his life!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

sharknado slashfic posted:

Maybe thats why he jumped to Fox :v:

nah, he's been on his way out for a while, that was his last week.

Much more hilariously, it seems like ESPN asked Bomani to go on his show to completely trash him on the way out. Let no one be unsure why he's on his way to Fox

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

MourningView posted:

No it's extremely funny that they thought the best guy to recreate the success of the Last Dance was someone whose most interesting characteristic is that he started a cult based on stretching a lot.

Actually it’s the fact that despite the fact that he’s the most successful NFL player of all time, he’s married to a woman who is still way more impressive, interesting and cool than him

Give me 9 hours on Giselle, ESPN

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Baseball announcer, headliner at the Tropicana, and now a life saver? That Rickie Ricardo sure is a talented fella

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Timby posted:

Except ... it's a 17-point game?

It was a 10 point game for most of the last half of the 4th and USF was driving to make it even closer until Cinci got an interception, the game was very much still up in the air

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

What do two recently de-ESPNed personalities do with a Thanksgiving off? Go pet some dogs for NBC. (Katie should absolutely be a dog show correspondent she has the perfect child-like love of dogs to make potentially boring bits really amusing)

https://twitter.com/nbcsports/status/1463573539517353987?s=21