Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That's basically what Sling tv is already. $20 a month for ESPN, ESPN2, TNT and a bunch of other disney and other cable channels with upgradable packages for the other ESPN stuff.

Few downsides like the xbox app is atrocious, ESPN and like half the channels(?) disable the pausing / show replay features of it and the commercials are pretty much only the same dozen ESPN office ads on loop mixed with 1-2 ABC show ads that play over and over and over again.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

commy gun posted:

In the NFL N/V thread but worth posting here: http://thebiglead.com/2016/04/05/twitter-will-stream-nfl-thursday-night-football-games/

What unholy sum did Twitter pay to beat out Amazon AND Verizon.

$10m so they can stream the same Thursday games NBC / CBS are showing (for a combined $450m).

Supposedly they turned down a $15m bid.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well predictably there are reports he was told to cover up the shirt

He was. The next segment has him with his jacket zipped up halfway.

He also has tweeted roughly 1000 times to the idiots that if he wanted to offend them with a t-shirt he had much better options.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Fox gave Skip Bayless $26m for 4 years to leave ESPN.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Retail Slave posted:

So wait, whenever something of significance happens, are they going to stop reading athlete's Twitter posts about it? Or are we just supposed to accept that part?

No no, see, they'll curate it for you so it's so much better of an experience.

Though I won't say they're the worst on that, loving NFLN's draft coverage was rotten with twitter and fantasy football segments.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

psyer posted:

How about Outside the Lines and 30 for 30 documentaries? They are original programming are pretty good.

joshtothemaxx posted:

Highly Questionable is amazing, Pardon the Interruption is ok, and Around the Horn is good if folks like Bomani Jones and Sarah Spain are on there.

:yeah:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Think I've found an ESPN segment bad enough to dethrone "Who's More Now":

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=18254774

Don't do this to Randy Moss you assholes.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

So here's some Boston bullshit from some thin skinned Boston babymen:

Bomani Jones this morning had a segment on his radio show where he talked about how Boston goes nuts over gritty white dudes (the most obvious segment ever).

WEEI and apparently Stephen A Smith have gone nuts over it because it means Bomani Jones just called everyone in Boston a kkk member.

Bomani's been pretty much tweeting about it all day and it's all basically this:

https://twitter.com/bomani_jones/status/817016050936147968

https://twitter.com/bomani_jones/status/817089116236087298

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Most of what y'all are complaining about has been true for a decade if not longer, outside of concussion knowledge. Like the NFL's largest period of growth saw Art Modell Hitler his team to baltimore.

The most likely culprit is falling cable subscribers. That would ostensibly only affect MNF/(half of) TNF, but the NFL was poor in articulating which TNF games would be available off of NFLN and people are very lazy. Once they're willing to cancel their cable subscriptions (or in the case of younger people, never sign up for one), bothering to actually put up an antenna alone is probably enough to atrophy those numbers a bit, and once you're not watching TV all the time, other things just become easier to do. You also lose a lot of the highlight shows driving interest in seeing other teams play.

Though worth noting that most of the above probably doesn't matter as much, since local viewership rates have been steady apparently, the drop off was primarily prime time games, so again, cable.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLE78mR8c1s

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

BWV posted:

Yea exactly. I guess that's why it's annoying when my friends talk about it. I get 19 year olds loving it but I want to believe people grow out of clickbait tits and hot takes.

Yeah, most don't.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Maliciously hoping Barnwell gets let go so he can go rejoin Mays at the Ringer.

But really, just cutting the chaff from Monday Night Countdown could probably makeup a sizable chunk of those cuts.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The thing I miss the most from World's strongest man is the Hussafal / Africa stone carry.

Just a giant oddly shaped rock these behemoths carry 100 meters before collapsing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2nFDcvdoLs

Kalli fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 11, 2017

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It looks nice, but it's also in conflict with streaming, which to a gigantic chunk of people has problems with speeds and data caps that will limit the market.

I suspect that it will become the new standard for televisions eventually, but I'm less optimistic that content will be available much beyond the push 3D got.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

shyduck posted:

Disney has all of that Star Wars IP now, they can coast for the next decade or three and be just fine.

They had the top 5 grossing movies last year, the lowest of which pulled in almost a billion in theatres.

They'll likely do it again this year, this is just Disney culling a weaker performing division due to the number of people dumping cable.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Henchman of Santa posted:

Who actually watches ESPN during the day if they're employed? That's not supposed to sound dismissive, I just never understood what the audience was.

They also upload all of their talking heads shows as podcasts which is how I listen to their stuff.

I wonder how they were convinced to do that honestly, since it had to drop their viewership by some amount. I mean it was a drop in the bucket for convincing me to drop cable.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

According to awful announcing, Woody quietly left it over a month ago.

Honestly, Jay Mariotti is such a non-entity at this point that he pretty much isn't even worthy of the attention of a pile on.

It'd be funnier if he just had his like 13 5 star reviews and 4 2 star reviews

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

ElwoodCuse posted:

Clay Travis is a racist piece of poo poo who picks fights on twitter with people who call him out for it

That sounds like the definition of insane Whitlock bullshit.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Those are great and all, but 42 years ago ABC brought us jacking it dad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j5NLMxXTw8

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So Maxim: The Sports Site?

That sounds about right, yeah.

I mean, there's a clear market for it, so different strokes for different folks and all that.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Worth noting that his change over was pretty early.

Like, he spent the early 90's insinuating that Troy Aikman was gay.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

quote:

After he had lambasted the Red Sox for a while over Curran’s statement to DigBoston, Minihane turned his anger toward de la Cretaz, claiming her story had “50 errors, 60 errors,” criticizing her sourcing and snickering at the fact she doesn’t shave her legs and has written publicly about her sexual experiences. Kirk & Callahan guest and WEEI personality Rob Bradford described her as “off the rails.”

Minihane and Bradford repeatedly praised a post by Massachusetts-based blog Turtleboy Sports that featured the following headline: “Feministo Journalist Who Ripped Boston And WEEI For Being Racist Also Bragged About Having Herpes, Not Having Sex With Her Husband Or Shaving Her Legs, And Made Up A Fake Rape Story For Twitter Points.”

the comments are good too. Glad to see a St. Louis fan weigh in.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/katienolan/status/896935225133076481

Well I mean, we knew it, but I wasn't sure if we knew, knew it.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I like how Skip Bayless set a bar pretty high as far as "lovely" goes and Whitlock manages to easily rocket ship past it constantly.

Skip was really easy to just ignore, but Jason manages to actually elicit that "oh gently caress you", no matter what.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Double oof. Good on Michael Smith and the two other hosts ESPN employs for saying gently caress off though:

quote:

ESPN originally tried to keep Hill off the air on Wednesday evening, but Smith refused to do the show without her, the sources said. Both sources also said that producers reached out to two other black ESPN hosts, Michael Eaves and Elle Duncan, to ask them to serve as fill-ins for the show — but Eaves and Duncan did not agree to take the place of Hill and Smith, either.

Faced with the possibility of having to replace Hill and Smith with white co-hosts, the sources said, ESPN then called Hill and asked her to come back on her show.

ESPN refutes this account

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I mean it's really dumb to associate yourselves with Barstool at all, and I have no idea why ESPN did it to begin with, but I figured since it started, it would've at least gone on until they got embroiled in some kind of controversy.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Godzilla07 posted:

Bo asked to move the show to a podcast instead, plus he’s still got the TV show with Pablo Torre next spring. Katie Nolan is also starting a weekly podcast.

Oh that's fantastic. Radio has way too much repetition even without the commercial breaks to listen to, a couple of ~hour long podcasts a week would be perfect.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

No Boston being Boston would be the reams of dickheads harranguing Chris Gasper got over that comment.

Gasper being the black sports columnist who does a segment on Massarotti's (dude in that clip) show once a week

Kalli fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 21, 2023

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

DJExile posted:

in other news, whooboy

It's pretty trivial to just watch the best players do their thing these days, which just kinda kills the magic of all star games. Add in that the players are visibly not giving a poo poo and welp.

My best idea is, thinking about this from the NFL's perspective, to just get more kids involved. Throw Nickelodeon at it, turn it into a family event so older players will bring their kids, and build a bunch of events off of that. Shlock works a lot better with kids.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Always funny to remember then Whitlock, after being dumped by Clay Travis now works for Glenn Beck's The Blaze, not even one of the successful right wing media networks.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

In this thread we support Barbara Walters.

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1692618028700103101

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

We all know Favre's deal, and Sapp was dumped by NFLN years back for a ton of sexual harassment claims, and Whitlock's been pumping junk out about the Women's national team for awhile, so yeah, that's gonna be one lovely party.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, there was a big boys will be boys purging of NFL N around that time, took out Marshall Faulk, Donovan McNabb, Ike Taylor, Heath Evans and Eric Davis. Michael Irvin survived being named in that suit, but ended up leaving under somewhat mysterious circumstances around the Superbowl this year. He's working for Fox Sports now.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nybble posted:

also when did we get his famous ChrisWarcraft account banned from twitter?

He changed his display name / picture to Elon Musk, tweeted I like to drink my own pee and got banned.

No, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I love that 30 years later and Dauber is just doing his character and announcing a superbowl.