Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

I either read or watched an interview with Joe Buck where he admitted he doesn't even like watching baseball yet he still does commentary. If that's the case, why do it? I assume it's the money but if that's so then why do it so often? He seems like a guy that's very set financially and is very well-known so he could do appearances doing this or that instead of going through what I guess is pure agony of watching baseball games and boring the hell out of everyone watching. It's very apparent and has to be a concern of the network's.

I think that Super Bowl call where he sounded bored with a game-saving catch had to do with an issue with his vocal chords and he couldn't physically get his voice any higher. But if that's the case, stay home. A sprinter doesn't go to work with a broken leg and just drag it across the finish line, shrug, and say "heh, I tried!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

The most excitement I've ever seen Joe Buck show was on some lovely interview show he had awhile back and one of the episodes was him interviewing Paul Rudd in a limo. I think Buck thought he could parlay his broadcasting into something more substantial like Keith Olbermann maybe but he's so boring at what he does that it must turn everyone in the industry off.

Purely speculation but that's what I've gathered

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

I don't understand the appeal of those PTI and Around the Horn shows. Sports talk radio is boring and all those shows are is a visual representation of that sort of media, which is twice as boring. Of all of the crap ESPN puts out, I think those types of shows are the worst and most dangerous because they turn journalists (well, sports journalists) into TV personalities. No one ever heard of Skip Bayless before ESPN let him sit on TV and yell. It's obnoxious programming and I don't understand how people enjoy it.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

General Studies is your automatic major in every community college that I've ever seen, including the one I went to. I assume this is how a lot of universities work but at UCF you didn't take any classes for your actual major until your junior year so I guess your first two years you are, technically, a General Studies major. It's basically 13th and 14th grade, where you're forced to still take math, history, English, all the core classes you had to take in high school, even though they don't affect your major.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

I grew up with all of the American sports but have been living in Australia for the past 4 years and I find every major sport in Australia incredibly boring. Thank god for the internet and streaming

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

LordPants posted:

What's the NFL streaming package like? Or is that only available overseas?

The overseas one is spectacular. Great quality, NFL Network and Redzone, and archives. Even Redzone broadcasts are archived.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

What got me into ESPN in the first place was that it was a dumb sports network that didn't take itself seriously. If any other challenger did this then I'd put it on and leave it on in the background at home almost all of the time like I did as a teenager in the 90s with ESPN

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

NFL Pregame shows are still a bunch of guys just sitting around laughing? Didn't Robert Smigel or someone like him do a cartoon parodying all of those pregame shows and it was literally just them laughing the entire time? I haven't watched one of those programs in years and I've been out of the country for almost 5 years

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Isn't the only reason you're in an announcing or pre-game booth as an ex-coach because you're a washout? There are the odd few that leave for their own reasons but they're almost all just failures that someone thinks speaks well

Washout or not, they still know more than you do

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

He's a normal guy that has a schtick. There's no way he talked like that to NBA players. He was a bad coach and none of his players respected him but still.

Opie and Anthony had him on the air once talking to him for a good 5 or 10 minutes telling him he wasn't on the air yet so he was just a regular guy and it was nice.

Joe Buck and Chris Berman annoy me more. Berman shoehorning those stupid nicknames in whenever he can and Buck acting like it pains him to watch a sporting event are a lot worse to me than a guy, who really does know his stuff, getting overexcited. He has dumb nicknames and schtick but that is literally all Berman has

BIZORT fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 2, 2013

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

I feel like anyone can talk about sports and sound decent and sort of know what they're talking about so when anyone else does it except sportscasters then I'm fine with it. I don't usually listen to people talk sports at me but it isn't offensive to hear it, I guess. Conversely, when you're in such a dumb profession to begin with like sportscasting and you're trying to do literally anything else then you will sound like a loving idiot.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Off topic but speaking of Awful Announcing, have any of you heard their podcast? I listened to it for the first time the other day with Jay Bilas and the guy on there has the nerdiest, most effeminate voice. I couldn't listen to it and I have a hard time even reading that site now. His voice sounds like Gendo's kji impersonation

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Watching NFL games on CBS growing up was so boring that it was a chore to get through a quarter. Everything they did was so inoffensive and bland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

He's 61 years old