Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

What's SAS consensus on Little League World Series coverage?

I personally find it really obnoxious and annoying.

I recall once being really annoyed it once overshadowed the opening week of college football once.
I find it borderline creepy.

EDIT: How the hell did I get beaten with the exact same words :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Combo posted:

I'm torn with the LLWS...the amount of coverage it gets is weird, but at the same time I do enjoy watching it.
It's fun to watch, but ESPN takes it way too seriously, and there is no need to broadcast regionals or any games other than the ones in the LLWS itself.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

They show Team Handball on beIN Sport if you have that channel. It is as good as you would expect for it to be.
Also, the Team Handball announcer gets utterly looney. I caught part of a handball game on BeIn once and the announcer seriously wondered aloud how there could be anything more exciting on the face of the earth.

MourningView posted:

Either that or more replays of World's Strongest Man.
Except for that really old one from the 70's where Lou Ferrigno's leg breaks in multiple places while he's carrying a full-sized fridge on his back. That was :stonk:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Stealing from the journalism thread, but in news that should surprise nobody the New York Times is reporting that ESPN cancelled its partnership with Frontline on the concussion documentary because the NFL basically went "That's a nice TV deal you got there. It'd be a shame if something happened to it."

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

e- Am I the only one that feels like for all the love FOX gave FS1, they seemed to do an equally bad job of promoting FS2? It seems like some people forget it was also launched.
Fox Sports 2 shows Aussie Rules Football. It is now the only channel I need.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

Depending on who "you" is they often don't; Keith Olbermann, for example, is legitimately more qualified to talk about baseball history than nearly anyone on the planet.
I think Bizort was referring more to things like knowing the ins and outs of playing, coaching, or front office work.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

His heart is in the right place but in practice he's really bad.
He didn't really start off that loud and obnoxious either. If you can find clips of his very early days at ESPN, he gets excited but doesn't really shout or rant or anything like that. Then again, it probably helped that the first announcer Vitale worked with at ESPN had the production crew cut his mic during a game because the guy thought Vitale was talking too much.

I still can't believe he coached in the NBA. If I was one of his players, I think I would have killed him.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Sash! posted:

I pretend he's like that all the time, screaming catchphrases about ultra-mundane stuff around the house.
That's the way I prefer to think of him too, imagining him going to some drive-thru at 9:00 am to order his breakfast and scaring the hell out of the staff.

I know Billy Mays used to go to the drive-thru lanes at fast food places in-character just for the hell of it.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I can't wait for his skit lampooning thug culture in the NFL.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I like NBCSN's programming in general, but yeah, they do have a ton of bad hunting shows that they use as filler.
Likely because that filler would have a small, but dedicated, audience.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

CaptainYesterday posted:

What does this mean for the Hockey Theme? :ohdear:
Sounds like we need to dredge up that old goon-made one.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mahoning posted:

We don't normally talk about stuff we love, but I really love Real Sports on HBO. And Frank DeFord is one of my favorite.

What is the consensus on Real Sports and DeFord?
They trashed the living poo poo out of E-Sports the other night so they're all okay by me.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The problem with Gus Johnson calling soccer is that FOX basically went up to him one day and said, "Hey, we know you've never done soccer before except for like two San Jose Earthquakes games, so you're our #1 soccer play-by-play guy now. Also that's in addition to all the other stuff you're doing for us."

So, you've got him doing a sport he's not terribly familiar with and he's not getting any extra time to familiarize himself with it.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Ahhhh Kimbo Slice. There's a thing I bet a lot of people wish they never took a flyer on.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Quest For Glory II posted:

Tim Brando is leaving CBS. This is notable for two reasons: 1) He's terrible
How dare you

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

This is where I say that a network should think outside the box and hire Gilbert Gottfried.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

BIZORT posted:

Watching NFL games on CBS growing up was so boring that it was a chore to get through a quarter. Everything they did was so inoffensive and bland
Much like CBS now.

In sports broadcasting news:

Awful Announcing posted:

MIKE FRANCESA REPORTEDLY JOINING FOX SPORTS 1

Ever since his radio program ended its lengthy simulcast run on YES Network, the question has been where Mike Francesa's future television home will be. We're now much closer to finding the answer. Newsday's Neil Best, who is as plugged in to all of Francesa's comings and goings as anyone, reports that it will be Fox Sports 1 that provides a national simulcast to Mike's On.

Michael_Scott_noooooooooo.flv

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Bob Costas transforming into a demon in front of our eyes is amazing.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Hockles posted:

Why NBC Sports is not airing the Olympics 24/7 is beyond me. Live or tape delay, I don't care. I shouldn't turn there and see Shark Hunters or auto auctions marathons.
NBC probably aired more live Olympic events back in 1992 when they had THE TRIPLECAST!!! than they do now.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ElwoodCuse posted:

FIFA is telling teams to wear mostly monochromatic uniforms for the World Cup because they say it will make the HDTV signal smaller, less complicated, and easier to broadcast to such a large audience. Is there any actual science to this? It sounds like complete bullshit, like your mom telling you the computer is slow because there are too many icons on the desktop. Isn't HDTV bandwidth determined by digital compression methods, not what you are pointing the camera at?
Honestly that sounds like a complete load of poo poo. If it was such an issue then they might as well tell the teams that they can't have uniform numbers.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Apparently Chris Russo is going to be an in-studio guest analyst on MLB Network during Opening Day.

NO

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

C. Everett Koop posted:

Josh Elliott is twice the man that Bob Costas is.

No, like literally twice the man Josh is really big.
This reminds me of an old Marvin Barnes story:

Bob Costas (who got his start in sports calling Spirits of St. Louis games in the ABA) was late for a game and thought he would be fired. Barnes told him, "That's okay. You can come work for me. I've always wanted to have a tiny white guy as my Chauffeur."

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Quest For Glory II posted:

Joe Buck's voice is too fuckin loud and barky to call golf while simultaneously having no enthusiasm for sports, this will be amazing.

THAT'S A LONG DRIVE FROM DUSTIN JOHNSON.

A GAIN OF 300 YARDS.

AND DUSTIN JOHNSON HAS A BIRDIE OPPORTUNITY. WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.
BUBBA WATSON JUST LEFT A DIVOT ON THE 17TH GREEN. THIS IS A DISGUSTING ACT. I AM SORRY YOU HAD TO SEE THAT.

DJExile posted:

Ok yeah I'd legit love this.
And they use the standard FOX NFL/other sports music for their golf coverage.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Badfinger posted:

Only if they use the slow tempo "injury break" music 100% of the time because it's golf.
No. I want the full-tempo poo poo.

HELLO AMERICA. YOU ARE WATCHING GOLF. GET READY FOR SOME loving GOLF.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

commy gun posted:

He could get canned over this. ESPN could easily find a recently retired player who's a bigger name to fill his shoes.
Brett Favre, for instance.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

Brett Favre can't take a studio job, he needs to keep working out in case someone needs the ol' gunslinger to ride again.
Okay. MNF crew. He'll be right there at the stadium in case somebody goes down.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Sash! posted:

To make it a bit stranger, it had two locations. But only one said "Karate Supplies" on the side. The second one has since been turned into a fireworks and jelly beans store (http://goo.gl/maps/nSvVm), which might be the single most unusual business anywhere.
When I was a kid, there was a town in rural Wisconsin by an aunt and uncle that had a business-zoned building owned by a husband and wife combo. One half was a pharmacy owned by the wife and the other half was a small firearms and ammunition store owned by the husband.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Vertical Lime posted:

NBC announced today they're extending their Olympic deal through 2032.

Also yesterday in Canada TSN announced they're creating a TSN 3, 4 and 5. Canada is 3 channels away from beating America to the Ocho
I'm absolutely tantalized at the thought of what would be on Canada's Ocho.

P.S. gently caress NBC's Olympic coverage.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Peanut President posted:

Dang. I still miss seeing the Braves on TBS. Now I can't watch the White Sox either.
I wonder if TBS and WGN ever realize how many Braves and Cubs fans it made by showing pretty much all of their games way back in the day. When I was a kid, only Minnesota Twins road games were on TV; the Pohlads refused to allow home games on TV unless there was a sellout.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

AceFace905 posted:

WGN and Harry Caray are why I will visit Wrigley Field at some point before I drop dead. Shame to hear :smith:
You and I might be the same person.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Seriously the Yahoo sports app is pretty much all you need.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Robnoxious posted:

Was Pam getting drilled on the sidelines?
No because if that was the case there'd be a paternity lawsuit.

MourningView posted:

Reminder that Terry Bradshaw was once cast as Matthew McConaughey's dad in a major motion picture.
Which was perfect.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

GUYS I AM SORRY I MADE A DUMB JOKE CLEARLY I DID NOT TAKE INTO ACCOUNT THE FEELINGS OF INTERNET USER CRION LET'S MOVE ON

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 15, 2014

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Smith already has one foot out the door since he's leaving ESPN radio so suspending him for a week will probably help push the other foot out. Remember that if they fire him it's likely that they'd have to pay him the rest of what he's owed.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mahoning posted:

That's not typically how contracts work. Any employment contract (especially for a company that hires talking heads on television) would include a morality-based clause. You can't just say awful poo poo on TV and then hope your employer fires you and get paid anyway.
I understand that, but they were apparently okay enough with him that he was allowed back on the air at least once before his suspension, and that was after a weekend break.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Hollenhammer posted:

While most of you are asleep, here in Australia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19lLBjAfIjI

as a primer for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-Vk1UqHnJo

And meanwhile on Channel 9 next Friday night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV7G9Ff5Mro
This gives me the cheap opportunity to remind everyone that Australian Rules Football is the greatest sport on earth.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

Grant Hill is one of the most boring people alive but Webber is really good on color.
Webber really seems like someone who should be a head coach for a front office guy but from what I've read he's not all that interested.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mahoning posted:

Hey guys, Joe Buck will be calling US Open golf next year. :suicide:
Golf is the sport he should have been calling all along.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

If you are lame enough to watch loving golf you deserve whatever you get
I've accidentally come across golf on the radio before. I...why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Sash! posted:

I'm kinda curious how this would even work.
Better yet: turned out that it was the LPGA Skins game.