Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

DJExile posted:

I go to a ton of Toledo Walleye games (low level minor league hockey) and they and most of the teams in the league have ads on the jerseys. To be honest, they're not hard to look past after a couple games. The ice has ads on it as well. Now granted, this sort of stuff has gone along with minor leagues for a while now so I suppose there's a different feel to it versus going to a full fledged top level pro game. Still, it's not the worst thing. I just wanna watch hockey.

E: it definitely does give the jersey a cluttered look, I'll grant. The jerseys you buy from the stores don't have ads on them though.
But the thing here is that in minor league sports teams generally need to get as many sponsors as they can just in order to survive, not to make extra profits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

did you just watch ESPN for the first time in like 3 years or something?
Hell, they're not even the only sports channel that shows CrossFit.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Sash! posted:

UFC sure did obliterate boxing though. Although boxing might not have needed the help.
And now the UFC is doing its best to obliterate itself.

OrangeKing posted:

Chess, on occasion when I was in college (which was cool by me, being a chess guy), but I suppose there's at least some tradition of that getting sports coverage dating back to the Fischer days.
In the 50's and 60's, chess masters and Jai Alai players would occasionally be treated like a big deal.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Really what I was saying is that Jai Alai needs to make a comeback.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

zakharov posted:

"Searching for Bobby Fischer" was not actually about Bobby Fischer. Also, Bobby Fischer was a crazy rear end in a top hat IRL which is sad.
Crazy is putting it lightly. However, it seems as though in order to live life as a chess Grandmaster you have to eventually end up going nuts or developing very odd behaviors.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

AsInHowe posted:

I love how the World Series is listed last, after Wrestlemania.
I guarantee you that if an EAS test interrupted Wrestlemania multiple people would end up dead.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Robnoxious posted:

This is interesting but alarming. The terrorists can win if they plan their dastardly deeds around championship events. Are tornado warnings also off limits?

Sorry yer house flipped through 6 counties, but didja see Peyton get rolled by Seattle? Oh wait you probably didn't... it was pretty cool, you should have been there.
It says it right in his post: tests cannot be done over championship events. Obviously, if there was a tornado bearing down on your place of residence the EAS would cut in as there's a good chance you'd lose power and possibly your place of residence in short order and thus wouldn't be able to watch the game anyway :v:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

I got the feeling Tosh was more calling ESPN out on their BS because he's tired of it like many others are than trying to be funny.
The problem with Tosh is that you can never tell when he's trying to be funny because he's never funny.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

So topic to bring up.

I saw a few people on my timeline ripping ESPN for not reporting the Cam Newton accident immediately and continuing to discuss the ramifications of Johnny Football starting for the Cleveland Browns.

Do you guys feel ESPN is at fault for not reporting on something like this or do you feel it's their responsibility to interrupt programming immediately for a situation like this?
They're more rippable for intentionally leaving out the fact that Jay Glazer broke the Johnny-Manziel-to-start story.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mashable offered up this headline for Scott:

STUART SCOTT: AS COOL AS THE OTHER SIDE OF THE PILLOW

I suppose which way you take this depends on your sense of humor.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

kidcoelacanth posted:

It's cool to see that he touched so many huge names.
It's not surprising at all. He was a SportsCenter anchor for just over twenty years.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Robnoxious posted:

ESPN is always business business business and lacks anything that resembles heart which the TNT crew counters in spades.
It's because ESPN's NBA coverage sounds like people shouting over each other.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ElwoodCuse posted:

95 cents per minute!

Remember when it was a big deal that they would put scores on a ticker every half hour?

I used to tape the 10 pm baseball game when I was little because that was the quickest way to see who won.
One of the selling points of IBM's Prodigy internet service back in the late 80's was basically, "YOU CAN READ BOX SCORES AND SPORTS NEWS!!! IN REAL TIME EVEN!!!"

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mornacale posted:

ESPN can never regain my favor until they put Australian Rules Football back on the main channel like they did in the 1980s

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Why was he out?

So, after this game tonight, SportCenter continued its apparently God-knows-why tradition (I don't watch much) of having anchors practice half-court shots because apparently there's nothing better to show. Neil Everett did his barefooted, and then the camera crew did a closeup of his feet. Spectacular loving TV right there.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

As said above, of the ESPN problem is that literally if an ESPN person does a thing then within about five minutes Tom Ley will have a video of it up on Deadspin. That happened at least three times last year that I can remember off the top of my head. I swear to god he sits in a dungeon and watches ESPN 24/7.

That said, it would be nice if SportsCenter anchors would just shut up and not try to be comedians or make new catchphrases or whatever, but we all know that's never going to happen.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 5, 2015

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

ESPN2 has always aired weird poo poo and regular ESPN devoted so much air time to fat nerds in sunglasses playing cards that SAS used to have a subforum for it. I don't know why people are treating some goofy video game thing like it's new.
Yeah, back in the day ESPN2 actually showed Magic: The Gathering tournaments.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Badfinger posted:

Exactly. My love for 1990s ESPN 2 isn't because they had Important Sports Personalities letting me know which sports I should care about. It's because they had Aussie Rules Football and Lumberjack Games and World's Strongest Man and loving trickshot pool that they made into an event somehow.

Please give me all the weird sports and games. The less desks and studio mics I see, and the more insane competitions they show, the happier I'll be.

e: seriously watch this dumb poo poo and not Cowherd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN6dhpUMVTc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8ycSMrDN5c
Every time trick shot pool is on the TV I take some time out to watch it because some of the poo poo they do is absolutely obscene

WHAT I'M GONNA DO HERE IS MASSE SIX BALLS INTO THE CORNER POCKET USING A BRIDGE AND A CARD TABLE LEG AND I'LL BE BLINDFOLDED AND I'M GONNA SHOOT BEHIND MY BACK

*makes it on the first try*

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 30, 2015

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

blech

quote:

Wilbon’s lengthy and nonsensical response implored viewers to understand the context of boxing, yes, but that none of Mayweather’s charges are new and that Mayweather’s critics are just new to boxing, “wild-eyed” and “naďve.” ... “There’s a long history of boxers in trouble. Criminal trouble, much of it domestic violence,”

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/mark-jackson-defends-mayweather-pretends-to-be-boxing-1701894262/+bubbaprog

Mark Jackson I think...is perhaps the worst color commentator in pro sports.

I seriously am struggling to think of someone as bad as him.

Reggie Miller

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Editor's Note: I have no idea is a great touch.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

When you're the BBC and you have practically unlimited money, you should probably find a better way to express support for the English women's soccer team - currently in the quarterfinals at the World Cup - than what is pictured below:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Yeah Bob might be taking a little paid vacation for that.
No he should not dammit. That was loving incredible. Especially considering it came out of the mouth of Bob Costas.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Retail Slave posted:

It would have been better had Strop actually been atrocious. Give up 6 runs over 1/3 of an inning? Sure, go to town. Give up 1 run and say that? Then you're just an rear end in a top hat.
That's what made it all that much more hilarious: it came out of nowhere.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Sash! posted:

What about that time Madden said something about "pounding the A hole" a few times until he remember to say "A gap" instead.
Or every single time Lou Holtz said the words "break contain" but because of his speech impediment it sounded like he said the runner would "break a taint".

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

summerall was great because his voice was like a beautiful rusty trumpet
better that than a beautifully rusty trombone

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Presented without comment

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Deadspin posted:

The ESPY Awards–a celebration of ESPN’s ability to celebrate celebrities—are being handed out tonight as ESPN takes advantage of the lull in the U.S. sports schedule. We’ve already had one memorable moment, even though the official ceremony has yet to begin. On the red carpet, MMA star Ronda Rousey was given her “Best Fighter” ESPY, a category that included Rousey, Floyd Mayweather, Donald Cerrone, Terence Crawford and Gennady Golovkin. (Although apparently voting is still live? We’re not sure how Rousey already got her award.)

Upon receiving her trophy, Rousey absolutely ethered serial woman beater Floyd Mayweather, looking into the camera and saying, “I wonder how Floyd feels being beat by a woman for once.”

:perfect:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Papi should guest-host Sportscenter once a month. Instant Must See TV.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Colin Cowherd posted:

"I could've made the point without using one country, and there's all sorts of smart people from the Dominican Republic," Cowherd said Friday during The Herd. "I could've said a third of baseball's talent is being furnished from countries with economic hardships, therefore educational hurdles. For the record, I used the Dominican Republic because they've furnished baseball with so many great players."

"I understand that when you mention a specific country, they get offended," Cowherd said. "I get it. I do. And for that, I feel bad. I do. But I have four reports in front of me ... where there are discussions of major deficiencies in the education sector at all levels. ... It wasn't a shot at them. It was data. Five, seven years ago I talked about the same subject. Was I clunky? Perhaps. Did people not like my tone? I get it. Sometimes my tone stinks.

"I think when you host a radio show, just like Jon Stewart hosts a show, I think sometimes I bring up stuff ... that makes people cringe. I'm not saying there's not intelligent, educated people from the Dominican Republic. I cringe at the data too."

"It's baseball," Cowherd said Thursday. "You don't think a general manager can manage? Like it's impossible? The game is too complex? I've never bought into that, 'Baseball's just too complex.' Really? A third of the sport is from the Dominican Republic. The Dominican Republic has not been known in my lifetime as having world-class academic abilities. A lot of those kids come from rough backgrounds and have not had opportunities academically that other kids from other countries have.

"Baseball is like any sport. It's mostly instincts. A sportswriter who covers baseball could go up to Tony La Russa and have a real baseball argument, and Tony would listen and it would seem reasonable. There's not a single NFL writer in the country who could diagram a play for Bill Belichick. You know, we get caught up in this whole 'thinking-man's game.' Is it in the same family? Most people could do it. It's not being a concert pianist. It's in the same family."

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

THE MACHO MAN posted:

what the hell hahahah
That's a classic that never gets old, much like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LzBx--DgII

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Copernic posted:

Who is taking over his ESPN slot?
Dan LeBatard's father.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Rand alPaul posted:

Apparently the Red Sox asked Orsillo to tweet his firing was mutual and he said no. :lol:
I've been out of the loop. Why exactly did he get fired?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dutchy posted:

And I thought Kruk was kind of charmingly stupid next to Mendoza.
Actually it's more like frighteningly stupid.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

I legit thought Mark May got fired this year.

Who keeps giving this man work? Does Satan run ESPN or something?
He's actually been doing TV work for a hell of a long time for some reason. He worked in the TNT studio back when they had the rights to the Sunday Night games for the first half of each season, and that was in the early 1990s.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 20, 2015

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

OctoberBlues posted:

This is kind of a cool article on what people had to do to get scores before ESPN

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/that-was-a-thing-sports-phone-the-1980s-way-to-get-real-time-scores/
I still remember one of the selling points of IBM's Prodigy ISP back when I was a child in about 1989: YOU CAN SEE SPORTS SCORES!!! AND HEADLINES!!! OVER YOUR COMPUTER!!! IN REAL TIME!!! WELCOME TO THE UNBELIEVABLE FUTURE!!!

The example was what amounted to a single MLB box score in a Full Screen DOS Window, and it was treated like it was revolutionary.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ElwoodCuse posted:

I used to work with a guy who had a baseball pager that told him score, runners on base, outs, inning, stuff like that.

Also:

95 cents per minute
Call 1-900-976-ESPN
Don't forget to call 1-900-ALL-WINS for your top six stone cold Vegas-beating locks of the week.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

joshtothemaxx posted:

That was a big selling point for early mini-dish services like Primestar and early DirectTV--a channel dedicated to live-updated scores and standings. I remember checking it during commercials of Braves games to see the scores of other games.
They'd have statistical leaders too.

Another one of early ESPN's selling points: they'd shrink the screen a bit and put a score crawler at the bottom of at :28 and :58 after the hour.

Changing the subject: can we discuss how crazy sports intros used to be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7Ou05Mi-Qo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVDIuuBO60Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KrppWERtYY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrKbVEJ8RoY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfYNkMH-R9k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RuD5Xf4BKo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-LtaIWfuow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXfBGpr1LO8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBDoaMoB5R4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1FTVwFH90A

GRAPHICS! LASERS! NEON! DISCO MUSIC!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Vertical Lime posted:

When Fox started airing football, they did that with the time in real-time. I thought it was the most mind-blowing poo poo ever back then
Even more mind-blowing than the glowing puck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

CaptainYesterday posted:

We are a poorer nation for Roundball Rock being unused.
This needs to be in State of the Union address. Hell, make it the national anthem.