Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

BIZORT posted:

I don't understand the appeal of those PTI and Around the Horn shows. Sports talk radio is boring and all those shows are is a visual representation of that sort of media, which is twice as boring. Of all of the crap ESPN puts out, I think those types of shows are the worst and most dangerous because they turn journalists (well, sports journalists) into TV personalities. No one ever heard of Skip Bayless before ESPN let him sit on TV and yell. It's obnoxious programming and I don't understand how people enjoy it.

I listen to the podcasts because it's a relatively quick way to catch up on sports during chores, and I find the obnoxiousness a little endearing. They're also somewhat more self-conscious and honest about their role as entertainers than the rest of ESPN's programming. I'll take Woody Paige cramming three awful puns into one sentence over Trent Dilfer delivering a report like he's coming down from Mount Sinai.

The worst thing I see coming out of the talking head shows is that they've started railing against "the narrative" which is almost always being developed and pushed by ESPN itself. That ESPN has found success in manufacturing stories is depressing enough without seeing them go back for second- and third-order controversy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

Either that or more replays of World's Strongest Man.

This. You'll never have to worry about steroid controversy or complaints about unfair advantages because they're all using as much as they can fit in their veins.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Sash! posted:

The NFL shows don't seem to hit this one, but the college does: why should I care what Washed Up Coach or Washed Up Player that Couldn't Hack It in the NFL thinks? Haven't the demonstrated that they are objectively bad at football?

Was wondering that yesterday with a graphic that covered Gerry DiNardo's coaching background to somehow establish his credibility. Left off that stint in the XFL for some reason.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Had the misfortune to listen to Cowherd belt out his own version of "Sweet Caroline" trying to mock Josh Bennett after Boston media decided they should care about his golf game. It was the most miserable, cringe-worthy skit possible. Felt levels of embarrassment that I thought I left behind in middle school. Twenty-two minutes of that sounds like Hell on Earth.

That show and that format should have gone to Bomani Jones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBeXkYSzXzw

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Dan LeBetard's local Miami area radio show is officially going national through ESPN on Oct. 1st

That's good to hear considering how ESPN jerks around HQ.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Vertical Lime posted:

So Tony Reali is joining Good Morning America as a contributor on top of staying as Around the Horn host. Given the fact he's probably replacing Josh Elliott I think he'll do fine there.

e: Not that it really matters, but also Around the Horn's main studios will also be moving to the same building where GMA's and Olbermann's studios are.

If he's on the Elliott plan, I can't imagine he'll remain the host for more than a couple more years. It'll be interesting to see if they start putting in other guys for practice reps or tryouts.

Reali sounds, by all accounts, like a legitimately good guy and I'm glad he's moving up and getting paid. That said, social media correspondence sounds like an utter load of poo poo. No one's turning on the TV at 7AM to find out what's happening on Twitter.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Pam's handling this with an unbelievable amount of class. She has to comment without burning bridges, but she could have accomplished that with a politically neutral statement rather than going out of her way to give others props.

TL posted:

Nothing against Pam Oliver, but I really could do without sideline reporters in general. I don't really think they bring much to the table, personally.

Sideline reports regarding player injuries and prognosis are useful, but yeah, agreed. Think that halftime interviews only continue to exist because of a .001% chance that someone will have a John L-style meltdown on air.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

He was having some health issues...plus in the summer a lot of TV hosts tend to take time off

Also, ESPN probably doesn't mind testing out different guys for the same format once Olbermann eventually napalms his second ESPN bridge.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

In other potential lineup change news, Jemele Hill and Sage Steele both tried out for The View.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Highly Questionable will be back starting next week, and it's going to look a little different:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

As it relates to maximizing quality, your idea makes sense as I'd agree that CBS isn't great and NBC is doing much better. Thing is, I wouldn't want CBS to have the SNF game either. SNF is fun because it's become the one game that everyone watches because the game's (typically) good and there's no competition. I guess I'd wish for NFC on Fox, AFC on ABC/ESPN, SNF on NBC, and CBS gets left with Thursday Night Football and absolutely nothing else.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

This makes sleeves on jerseys an inevitability, doesn't it? Why would anyone want to get rid of the additional ad space?

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

They're not playing Strongman competitions any more? That's a shame. That was good stuff when you were sick or hungover.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

Numbers Never Lie is being changed to a TV version of the His & Hers podcast that Jemele Hill and Michael Smith have together.

The lede getting buried there is that maybe, just maybe, First Take's days are numbered.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Mildly sports related, but Stevie Wonder responded to claims started by Bomani Jones and sent into public consciousness by Deadspin that maybe, just maybe, #stevieaintblind.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Bye, Cowherd. Enjoy watching your career bleed out on FS1. Remember that you probably had it coming.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

I think he was going for the "I'm not a journalist so I play by different rules" line of defense that Stewart has used in the past. Problem is that this isn't satire.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Vertical Lime posted:

ESPN Radio found someone to fill Le Batard's old slot:

Richard Deitsch ‏@richarddeitsch 20 minutes ago
Sources tell @SInow that @bomani_jones will be getting the 4-7 p.m. ET spot on ESPN Radio. Look for the official news soon.

Awesome if it's indeed true. This likely means less Evening Jones and potentially no AtH appearances, as they'll have to shoehorn HQ tapings between 1-4, but I'm happy he's getting this opportunity.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Vertical Lime posted:

Also of interest, Universal Sports (that Olympic sports-all the time channel) is shutting down:

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Closing-Bell/2015/10/21/universal.aspx

That's a bummer. I liked their coverage of Olympic sports, especially now that NBC is committed to loving up coverage of the actual Olympics. Do hope they keep showing some of that stuff on NBC Sundays.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Craig Sr is cool for refusing kid gloves despite being sick.

Can I get some context?

ESPN has lost something like 7M subscribers over the past couple of years as more people drop cable. Simultaneously, pro sports leagues are asking for richer TV contracts and Disney is putting pressure on ESPN to cut costs. ESPN's headed toward a bad place right now and their only solution so far has been to fire people.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Timby posted:

To be fair, that's pretty much all the company can do. Earlier this year, they had something like 7,000 employees worldwide, and I think they badly over-extended themselves with all the new sets and facilities they've been building over the past few years (the new SportsCenter set they built last year cost something like $125 million alone) -- the company was very clearly burning through cash at a time when it should have been really looking at a long-term strategy for revenue management.

That's fair. Maybe a better way to put it is that we haven't seen them figure out a way to improve revenues just yet. It's hard to tell what's happening to increase money coming in aside from draining Draft Kings' advertising budget for as long as they could.

I do wonder if ESPN was making a conscious effort to blow their money on amortizable expenses so they could drain the budget and justify the later firings. Like, it blows my mind (even though it really shouldn't) that no one at ESPN thought technology might mess with how they do things. It's hard to rationalize the over-extension otherwise.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

ElwoodCuse posted:

The replies to Deadspin's tweet for this story are basically as low as the internet can sink

I took a look and found the tweets to be remarkably tame next to the rape/murder threats I was expecting. Still, gently caress those people.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

He had to give an interview about the shirt later with someone at ESPN. It starts strong:

quote:

Lady: Why'd you wear that shirt?
Bo: It was clean.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Good God, that's going to be toxic.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

Correctly betting that people would rather watch call of duty than Big Ten football.

This is super depressing and entirely accurate.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Katie seemingly confirming as much:

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Hoping the podcast format means Kornheiser can go back to full-on tirades, and that Kevin Sheenan fucks off forever.

e: vv Awesome. After hearing him condescend to people who objected to the Redskins team name, I found it hard to listen to the show anymore.

Anals of History fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 3, 2016

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

"Tirico, for example, was suspended by the network for three months in 1992 for multiple incidents involving attempted groping, sexual solicitation, and stalking of female co-workers."

Yeah, real good dude.

Never watched Shameless, but I got the impression AsInHowe was making a joke there.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

...is that inside the Fox Sports building? If so, that's a new dimension of douche.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCb5Ji6ueQ8

I gotta find more of this, but Dan Le Batard had clip after clip trashing the Cavs in the NBA Finals.

Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith being so over the top is comedy gold.

e: Holy Hell. I would unironically watch a version of "First Take" with people like Dan Le Batard, and others going MST3K on their asses.

Look up "parade of gasbags." There's 10-11 compilations of cold takes. Amin El Hassan in particular blows off his feet.

Le Batard's show is probably the the closest we'll ever get to MST3K given the thin-skinned, insecure nature of so many sports fans and sports writers.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

I have to imagine that there's a good number of recently released ex-ESPN folks (beyond just the on-air personalities we're aware of) who'd be happy to fork over that info or who would know the right person to ask.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Set list of lead-ins before Any Given Wednesday: Ted, Ted 2, The Departed, Good Will Hunting, Spotlight, etc.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

In addition to the definite moral problems with the NFL:

- NFL, in the span of 4-5 years, went from free streaming radio for any game you wanted -> $10 audio pass -> $20 audio pass -> $100 multimedia pass. $100 isn't that awful, but I don't like the idea of rewarding them for continually cranking prices just because you can.

- I've gotten way more into MSU sports in the recent past because I have a community to watch games with that I like. Meanwhile, I've found it hard to hang out with NFL fans. This forum is about the only place I talk/read about pro football.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

I don't know much about the guy. All I know is that Bill Burr took him the woodshed on his podcast.

Gonna check this out.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Now it's Norm McDonald.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Would've really like to have seen this analysis include Disney's potential bid for Twitter b/v that seems to be several factors more bugfuck crazy than paying more for the NBA or for a theme park in China.

If that happens, also, doesn't Disney become God-King of Hot Takes?

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

DJExile posted:

John's a pretty interesting character and I don't think that will be an ultra exciting episode or anything but he's had some serious demons. He still gets huge galleries anytime he shows up at events though and comes off as far more of an everyman than most PGA pros did at the time.

ESPN set up shop during SXSW last year and showed a preview of the John Daly 30 for 30. What I saw did center focus a lot on his alcoholism, food consumption, and struggles with fame. Would've like to have seen more about how he got along with other golfers and the general contrast between him, his fans, and the general golfing population, but maybe that'll come through in the full version.

It was also fun to walk out of that showing wearing an MSU polo into public, blissfully unaware that they could possibly lose to Middle Tennessee State.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

DJExile posted:

This is a really clever idea. There could be some awesome stuff.

Like, if it's basically year-round purestrain sport, then gently caress yeah. Include all the weird sports and treat every one of them as a competition of pan-dimensional consequence.

This also makes me think that the Olympic channel should absorb the World's Strongest Man competition and basically become the new ESPN2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

This'll be worth it if it makes Paige say something that gets his rear end canned.