Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I can't look at Fox Sports 1 without being reminded of 1990s web iframes. Why do they have so much real-estate taken up by useless graphics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

At least Fox Sports 1 has an effective promotional strategy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vZaZQZ5qrk

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ESPN has a ton of great play by play guys that puts the national networks to shame. It's one of their few bright spots. From Tirico to Pasch to McDonough to Breen to Nessler to Tessitore to Darke. I still think they're missing a great baseball voice (but so are most teams in baseball), but every other national sport has got A-quality people calling the action.

COLOR COMMENTATORS, on the other hand, yikes. I dont know how they can be so good at finding people to call the games and so bad at finding people to analyze them. There's nothing pleasant beyond the A teams (Gruden, Herbstreit). It's basically a determination of how much you can tolerate each one on an individual basis. I still don't understand what qualifications Matt Millen has for analyzing college football, or why anyone would put a microphone in front of Rick Sutcliffe.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Walton is amazing, and Spielman is quite good now that he's back with McDonough (McDonough/Millen was a torturous combo for years). I also don't necessarily have a problem with Hershisher. But the depth ESPN has at color commentator is far thinner than at play by play. They've also lost some people recently, like I believe Bill Raftery is at FOX now calling games with Gus Johnson this upcoming year.

warheadr posted:

Am I remembering wrong or didn't the latest ESPN book have a couple people talking a good bit about what an rear end in a top hat Tirico was toward Kornheiser and really contributed heavily to Tony's stint on MNF not working at all? If Tirico is the one I'm thinking of he really did come across as a non-professional douche in that regard.
I could be wrong but I think Kornheiser's bizarre racist joke on Hispanic Heritage Night, which probably is the worst time to make a racist joke, played a role in his contract not being extended. It was only a one year contract, and I think Tony has said in interviews that he enjoyed doing MNF but the hours were not fun for him and he hates flying and travelling in general.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ESPN constantly airs LLWS segments and segments during high school football games that are, essentially, "this pro athlete superstar got HIS start in LLWS! could (name of kid) be the next one?" And it's like okay great thanks, no pressure on the kid or anything.

shyduck posted:

What else is ESPN gonna broadcast in July/August though? There's only so many studio shows they can repeat with the same garbage.
Honestly? They're the Worldwide Leader in Sports. Find some loving sports. There's Aussie football which is rad as poo poo. Air that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

This might be the start of Cable Armageddon... ESPN preparing to sell streaming rights to their channels for people without a cable subscription:

quote:

ESPN is reportedly considering making all of their channels available on an Internet TV service for a fee, according to The Verge. The online provider would pay for all of the channels under the ESPN umbrella as well as for access to Watch ESPN at a comparable rate to what cable companies like Comcast and Time Warner pay. ESPN is talking to Sony, Apple, Intel, and Google about the package.

This is the domino that's been waiting to fall for years now and the fallout from the cable providers is going to be spectacular.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 22, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Can't the cable providers just cap us at 200GB/mo or something similarly ridiculous?
Most already do, actually. Xfinity's cap is 250GB here.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Vertical Lime posted:

Speaking of breaking ground, ESPN released this video of what their new Sportscenter set is going to look like. It's big

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_MVidglMLk
This seems ridiculously silly to me. I have never chosen to watch a sports program based on how much money they spend on their set. Heck, I'm fine with that cramped area they used for ESPN Goal Line. Is bigger really better for a sports highlight/analysis show?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Apparently Fox Sports 2 is going to be airing Aussie football after all.

quote:

@fangsbites 11m Aussie Footy fans, Adelaide Crows vs. Melbourne Demons. Fox Sports 2. Friday night. 11:30 p.m. ET. Be there.

You snooze you lose ESPN :smug:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Benne posted:

MMQB has a good breakdown of all the NFL pregame shows this year

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/08/29/2013-nfl-season-tv/

tl;dr don't watch the NFL pregame shows.
The article: "Expect to see more of Trent Dilfer this season."

'That's cool I really want to see more of Trent Dilfer' - no one on Earth

I'm not surprised that Randy Moss will show up on FOX NFL Sunday because it seemed like that was always the plan but they just have to wait for someone else to step out first.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 29, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ahahaha Craig James was fired after only a couple of days

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130902/craig-james-will-not-return-to-fox-sports-southwest/

quote:

SI.com has learned that the veteran broadcaster will no longer appear on the network. Fox Sports executives were not happy with the hire by the regional network, according to sources, and the hire had not been fully vetted at the highest levels of Fox Sports management. A formal agreement had not been finalized, even though James appeared on FSS on Saturday night. "Craig James will not be making any further appearances on Fox Sports Southwest's football coverage this season," said a Fox Sports spokesperson, when asked for a comment.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Benne posted:

Richard Deitsch has his complete NFL broadcaster guide up. Find out which terrible FOX team your team will be stuck with this year!

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/09/05/2013-nfl-tv/

They mention CBS has new graphics so I'm assuming that that awful looking scorebar that's been on CBS Sports Network college games is going to be the new NFL scorebar too. It looks like a drat Winamp skin. Gives me nostalgia of being a dorky as poo poo high schooler playing Weird Al mp3s attributed to Reel Big Fish.

quote:

[ESPN promises] More airtime for the Gruden Grinder award, which focuses on a behind-the-scenes player who makes something happen to win the game.
OH GOOD.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 5, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

chunkles posted:

Not sure where to put this since only like 5 SAS posters care but Comcast filed for CSN Houston to go into Chapter 11 bankruptcy. The Astros are claiming they haven't been paid for the last three months and were about to pull out.
That'd make the first time this season the Astros got out of a jam

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I don't know why ESPN hasn't learned from their own College Gameday show that less is more. If you want to have a celebrity pick some games, fine, but the show itself is pretty much Fowler, Corso, Herbie, and Howard and they haven't really tried to gently caress with it at all. Meanwhile Sunday NFL Countdown/Monday Night Countdown keeps adding more and more people to it. Do we need to have Trent Dilfer and Ray Lewis ALSO opining on the game we're about to see? Do we need to have 10 people pick a game? How about the interns, can they pick too?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

zakharov posted:

*Jaws music plays*

They should just have Troy Aikman do baseball too

"Well thats a heck of a pitch, Joe, you can see right there he throws it and the ball goes into the glove. We talked to him on Tuesday and he told us he wanted to get the ball into the glove as much as possible, and he definitely did a good job of doing that right there."

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Am I the only person who thinks it's weird ESPNU is not participating in this?

Why wouldn't the Sounds of the BCS telecast be on ESPNU instead of an SD-only channel? The hell is ESPNU airing that's so important?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

C. Everett Koop posted:

And if Musburger is retiring than they'll just move Brad Nessler to the A team and pair him with Herbstreit and if you've played NCAA in the past decade you won't notice a thing. Nessler's real solid and everything will be fine. I wonder who would become the #2 then, move Davis into that role and away from May/Holtzzzzzzzz?
Joe Tessitore is ESPN's #3 PBP guy so he would slot in with Blackledge, and Mark Jones would combine with Matt Millen for the primetime alternates. They could also bump up McDonough to the #3 team, as McDonough has worked with Millen in afternoon games in the past. But Jones and Millen already have been calling primetime alternates for a few years now (one for ESPN and one for ESPN2) so it would be simple logic to pair them together. As for who takes the place of Jones-Huard, maybe Pasch or Wischusen. Or even Mike Patrick, who used to call SEC primetime games just a couple of years ago.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 8, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Tim Brando is leaving CBS. This is notable for two reasons: 1) He's terrible, so yay 2) He had a huge role in CBS Sports, being one of the primary anchors for SEC football and March Madness, as well as calling games during the NCAA Tournament.

CBS also has no backup plan now if Verne's heart ever explodes, which isn't unrealistic.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MourningView posted:

wait do I need to like bob costas now
As long as it's the episode of Space Ghost he's in.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sash! posted:

It confuses me more than depresses me.

How are reruns of Family Guy and American Dad the highest rated cable shows?
How many cable shows can you name that premiere on Thursday nights? I can only name Impractical Jokers.

Adult Swim is like exploding in ratings right now which is why they're expanding another hour and I wouldn't be surprised if they split off to another network in the next couple of years.

That said, there's only one show that's bested top sports events on cable and that's The Walking Dead, although I've heard Duck Dynasty has come close. Yeah, meditate on that one for a while.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ESPN is resorting to loud debate type shows because people can get their sports highlights from the internet and have instant access to scores when they happen, so the network has to do something before they slowly bleed out of viewers inbetween the live events. They basically just converted the network into a visual radio station, and in fact a lot of their programming IS radio shows that are simulcast on ESPN/ESPN2. It's cheap and you can fill timeslots with it.

They're facing the same inevitable oblivion that most American cable networks are facing when people can get their entertainment elsewhere and digitally. Which is why most networks have opted for cheap "re-enacted" reality TV about towing cars and people in jail and pawn shops. Animal Planet has to have shows about people hunting for Bigfoots because people can just watch cute cat videos on their phone. History Channel is now about speculative fiction about ancient aliens and ice road truckers. ESPN is now about talking heads yelling at each other.

The only other choice ESPN has is to severely increase their coverage of live sports instead of Is Dan LeBatard's Dad Paying Attention or Mike & Mike Pretend To Care About Anything in the Morning. Which would cost them a fortune. The amount of money they're paying for Monday Night Football is obscene.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

So Brent Musberger has officially taken a demotion that ESPN has spun brilliantly as "THE #1 ANCHOR OF SEC NETWORK" (which works as long as you pretend SEC Network is going to get any game more important than Arkansas vs Troy or something).

It's been assumed Chris Fowler is Musberger's replacement as ESPN's #1 guy, to be paired with Kirk Herbstreit, but now that we're at the door, we'll see if ESPN gets any last minute ideas. Who would you choose to replace one of the current most iconic voices in sports?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Fowler officially gets the lead job with Kirk Herbstreit. It might just be my personal opinion but I think people will be underwhelmed. Fowler is a good host on College Gameday, but he's a completely average play by play man, and is better suited to golf and tennis for that role. I've always considered Fowler/Palmer on Thursday Night Football to be Amateur Hour, to be honest.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Joe Buck's voice is too fuckin loud and barky to call golf while simultaneously having no enthusiasm for sports, this will be amazing.

THAT'S A LONG DRIVE FROM DUSTIN JOHNSON.

A GAIN OF 300 YARDS.

AND DUSTIN JOHNSON HAS A BIRDIE OPPORTUNITY. WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

NBC might not exist by that point so it doesn't really matter

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sportscenter is relaunching from its new studio on June 22nd. Some photos of the new space:

Fun facts:

- 194,000 square feet
- Features: "a video floor, virtual technology, two touchscreens, a 56 LED multi-dimensional monitor wall and the ability to do live and pre-produced segments simultaneously.”
- ESPN wants to bring Dan Patrick back to anchor Sportscenter: “It’s a nascent plan, but in discussions with NBC (Patrick’s employer), I did mention it to them because it did seem like it was an appropriate time to have a mention of it. We do not have any agreements. We don’t have anything to announce,” Skipper said. “We don’t know what we’ll do yet .”

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Vertical Lime posted:

So that new Sportscenter set just made it's debut

My god it's the future
It just looks weird and the anchors like ants in it.

As a graphics nerd though, it means a likely revamp of all the sports graphic packages on the network which will be interesting. The current graphics used by CFB/MLB don't match the new iPad app-looking ticker, so I assume they're gonna change next season. I was always a fan of the red scorebar from the mid 2000s and was disappointed when they switched to the bland grey bars in 2010. Hopefully they have something slicker planned.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 23, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mornacale posted:

I think Sportscenter is a perfectly fine show to have on while you're eating breakfast or chilling in the waiting room or surfing the web and would like to get a nice overview of what's going on in the sports world.
It would be a lot worse if Tebow was still in the NFL. Sportscenter once dedicated an entire day of programming to celebrating Tebow's birthday.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Robnoxious posted:

What?
Was Pam getting drilled on the sidelines?
She got hit with a football one week and got a concussion and had speaking issues the rest of the season.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

soggybagel posted:

They've kept Terry Bradshaw as in studio talent despite his inability to speak cogently for the past decade.
He earned his tenure with his performance during FOX's last Pro Bowl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They should just start a Youtube channel and stop fighting it.