Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MourningView posted:

I think Chris Speilman is best color guy in any sport. They have some good basketball guys too, most notably Bilas.

The best basketball analyst is Bill Walton, especially for international events. His work on the FIBA Americas championships was sublime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I'd pay a buck to get Matt Millen as a draft day analyst.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

I don't know why ESPN hasn't learned from their own College Gameday show that less is more. If you want to have a celebrity pick some games, fine, but the show itself is pretty much Fowler, Corso, Herbie, and Howard and they haven't really tried to gently caress with it at all. Meanwhile Sunday NFL Countdown/Monday Night Countdown keeps adding more and more people to it. Do we need to have Trent Dilfer and Ray Lewis ALSO opining on the game we're about to see? Do we need to have 10 people pick a game? How about the interns, can they pick too?

I'd support a show where Costas was forced to put on a Steely McBeam mask.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The only acceptable color commentating in baseball games is a silently glowering Hawk Harrelson.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Tebow is inevitable.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I'd pay for ESPN to do Draft Room with Matt Millen where you can watch a special feed of Millen with draft magnets looking befuddled and lunging for wide receivers.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

warheadr posted:

This isn't broadcast-related, but deserves mentioning. Any talk of psychotic sports parents and what it does to the kids needs mention of the Esquire article on Todd Marinovich from several years ago. If you haven't read it yet, definitely take the time to, especially in relation to this chat about kids and sports. It's fantastic, and terribly sad.

The ESPN doc on Marinovich is pretty good (it's on Netflix).

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Nothing is worse than FrankTV.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX347nrc5IE

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Someone showed him a picture of Mickey Mantle injecting himself with needles that come from a canvas sack that says " Soviet Khrushchev roids."

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

All televised analysis of sports is utter garbage, especially ESPN, but any and all debates about MVPs in any sport are completely boring and worthless and hijack sports discussion on every platform. Here's my ranking of the most irritating MVP sports arguments:

3. Football: A sport so obsessed with specialization where asking a guy to move over a slot on the line can be an impossible task has made everybody's life easier by just naming the best quarterback the MVP and we're all ok with it.

2. Baseball: Every year, people are going to produce reams of evidence and arguments with advanced metrics that clearly show that one guy is way better than another and internet baseball people will tear each other apart about measuring fielding and baserunning and pitch framing and in the end it's just going to go to the guy with the most RBIs.

1. NBA. This is by far the worst because for some reason, every discussion over the all-star break is about who the MVP is. Who is the best basketball player? It is still LeBron James. It has been LeBron for some time and will be him for the conceivable future, except for the year that Derrick Rose won when everyone could see that, by EVERY OBJECTIVE MEASURE AND SOME NOT YET INVENTED DERRICK ROSE WAS BY FAR THE SUPERIOR PLAYER. Despite Bill Simmons's efforts to change this, basketball is not an individual sport that can be reduced to one-on-one battles to determine who wants it more, but for some reason the MVP debate continues to be dominate MVP consideration when it's more important to determine who the coolest basketball player is and that is Ronnie Turiaf.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MourningView posted:

Actually it is Kevin Durant now, let's argue about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9rrgJXfLns

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

DJExile posted:

Adding on the train calling it bullshit but if it keeps those USMNT Where's Waldo kits the gently caress away, I'm all for it.

I love those Waldo jerseys and I need to remember to buy one.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

:lol: someone gave a microphone to ozzie guillen

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Someone make a new horse racing thread that's just one poster endlessly and incomprehensibly posting to himself. That was secretly a top-10 SAS thread.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Shannon Sharpe narrating highlights was secretly one of the only redeeming things about the CBS broadcast other than Shannon Sharpe forced to repeatedly say the words "Billy Volek."

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

swizz posted:

Digger Phelps is retiring, he's kind of a crank but ultimately endearing if you've watched college basketball for a long enough time

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2014-01-10/bill-walton-on-digger-phelps-the-devil-ucla-arizona-game-notre-dame-coach

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

ARE YOU READY TO GOLF

ARE YOU READY TO GOLF

IS IT TIME YET FOR GOLF

YOUR rear end IT IS

GOLF GOLF GOLF GOLF GOLF GOLF GOLF GOLF GOLF GOLF MOTHERFUCKER

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

In actual sports broadcasting news:

Ryan Dempster seems like a good guy and all and he was a good pitcher for the Cubs, but that dude should be followed at all times by a person with a Vaudeville hook.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

ESPN desperately needs to bump Burke up to analyst and let Simmons be a sideline reported who can be regularly posterized by Poppovich.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Simmons: Coach, crazy game out there. How do you defend LeBron out there when he has The Look?
Pop: (Glares at Simmons for 5 seconds)

Simmons: Coach, would you say Wade is more like Steve Sanders or Brendan Walsh right now?
Pop: (glares at Simmons for 5 seconds)
Pop: Get off my plane

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Does SportsCenter even show highlights anymore? The only time I ever catch it is the 6pm version at the gym, and it's usually just an array of talking heads including: static conversations between anchors and reporters on cell phones reading court transcripts, a 2 minute discussion of something involving twitter, a discussion of a sporting event over a contextless highlight reel, a facile analysis segment between two people who say absolutely nothing-- sometimes they use a telestrator to point out that the key to winning football games is to protect the football, at least one dumb sponsored DEBATE segment between idiots. Granted, the 11pm sportscenter actually has sports highlights to show, but the 6pm version I see is completely unwatchable.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Joe, it's at times like these that great forums posters need to make great forums posts.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It would be ESPN's fault for provoking people into outrage.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I'm sure Stephen A's new show will be provocative.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Mahoning posted:

Hey guys, Joe Buck will be calling US Open golf next year. :suicide:

Oh god, the subdued boring guy is going to drain all of the excitement out of professional golf.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

ball.

hit.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

I heard this on NPR while driving this morning: Frank Deford is thankful for the Spurs
A sample:

I kept sitting there, waiting for the punchline to come and it never came.

I genuinely look forward to Deford's goofy overwritten sports diatribes on Wednesday mornings on the way to work and I want him to be my cranky old Sports Grandpa who we all humor.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I should also mention that I have a bunch of friends who are Spurs fans and, if anything, that rant is a restrained version of attempting to have a conversation about basketball with them.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

sitting through 45 minutes of sportscenter to see a 30 second Cubs highlight

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

How do we know that wasn't a fan near a mic who really, really likes hockey

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I spent more time than I care to think about as a teenager listening to video game Madden and Summerall talk in hushed, digital tones about Urlacher sacking the poo poo out of Madden Favre.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

BasicFunk posted:

Jon Miller made Joe Morgan somewhat tolerable.

not cosistently

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Bob Costas was right

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

DJExile posted:

It's partly that, partly also that for better or worse, Cowherd has a national presence and Francesca is only really known in NYC.

I wouldn't sleep on Francesa.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

WHO PODCASTS NO

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

This is my favorite over-the-top intro to a basketball game (RIP NBA on NBC)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKOkNZ4Yzto

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Roundball Rock belongs to the people.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

zakharov posted:

NBCSN has hockey and soccer. FS1 has...some baseball games?

Khaki cam

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MourningView posted:

They're cutting costs specifically to save money to bid on live events, which are one of the few things stopping anyone from dropping cable entirely. Their current deal with the Big Ten is still really good for them. They still air almost all of the marquee matchups, and those games still do some of the best ratings in college football, particularly games involving OSU or Michigan.

If you think ESPN is going to drop an 11AM Northwestern-Purdue game, you are insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Peanut President posted:

Goddamn I want to know who at ESPN has such a hard on for Purdue. Even on Goal Line they never shut up about them. "Wow the boilermakers having a tough game against noted good team Bowling Green"

I'm am talking out of my rear end here, but I imagine the Big Ten has a contract with ESPN that says they have to air every team, so they can burn off two poo poo teams simultaneously with an 11AM Beth Mowins shitfest.

I have no idea though, but I can't imagine that most televisions tuned into a Northwestern/lovely Big Ten team game are broadcasting blankly to a bar.