Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
DirecTV owns Root Sports. They haven't been a part of Fox for a long time, which is why they wanted to get rid of the FSN name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

PTI got to be a show because that's exactly how Tony andWilbon talk to each other (well, with more swearing). In the ESPN book it says when they proposed the show to Tony he said "that's a terrible idea, who would watch that"

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

sba posted:

the ESPN book is great if you haven't read it

and the older one too (ESPN The Uncensored History)

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

BasicFunk posted:

I think I'm bothered less by their LLWS coverage than I am when they start covering high school football and basketball. I can't really explain why, but ESPN covering high school sports bothers the hell out of me.

All the National Signing Day obsession poo poo can get really creepy but at least there's some substance to it. They show players who will be the next big names in NCAA basketball/football at a minimum and possibly the NBA/NFL someday. But there's no reason to know or care about anyone playing Little League unless you know them personally or something. Anyone playing there is 10 years away from ever being noteworthy again in sports.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Is handball out of season because all I've seen on Beinsport for a while is soccer. I don't even care if it's a tape from weeks ago it's not like I could be spoiled to the result.

The NBA all star game should be replaced in its entirety with handball. I bet those guys would be awesome at it.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Or they could block or throttle traffic, net neutrality is far from settled

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Peanut President posted:

Uh that owns and would stop bullshit like the Pirates a few years ago throwing games.

Pro/rel is completely unfeasible for North American sports and talking about it as a serious solution is a waste of time

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Skip Prosser on First Take would be a notable improvement

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Benne posted:

FOX gets the World Cup in 2018. God help us if Gus Johnson is still as bad at soccer as he is in 2013.

Ugh he's awful. It's like they just said "OK Gus, now a team is a side, the field is the pitch, and you always say nil instead of zero. You're on, we're live!"

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Either that or he's quiet for long stretches because he doesn't know what's going on

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Absolutely NO tribute caps allowed!

Except poo poo we can monetize like camo or stars and stripes or flag patches

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The best announcer crossovers are during the Olympics when they have people call weird sports from a studio and "pretend" it's live. They'll get anybody willing to drop by.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Definitely Nantz because of the Masters

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

RalphTheWonderLlama posted:

As long as I get to see some sweet curling action its all good.

Yeah curling is still going to be live and uncut on like MSNBC or something right?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Benne posted:

If anything, this news is pretty much the final nail for NBC's Thursday night lineup.

Not really. The final nail would have been NBC getting the NFL, because they could replace all their low-rated shows with football. With CBS getting it, they can just keep the same low-rated shows around to lose to football instead of sitcoms. They aren't going to come with NEW shows to put in the slot, why bother?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

DJExile posted:

Those of you who hear broadcasters use the same phrases to describe everything, turn on NBCSports and listen to Doc Emerick. Dude is a living thesaurus. "Knifed away, punched on, waffleboarded into the corner..." so much goofy poo poo and it's great.

What? This kind of crap is one of the reasons everyone hates him

http://deadspin.com/list-every-synonym-for-pass-that-rifled-out-of-doc-e-513664662

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Emrick and Pierre McGuire are both awful and hockey games are better without them

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

FIFA is telling teams to wear mostly monochromatic uniforms for the World Cup because they say it will make the HDTV signal smaller, less complicated, and easier to broadcast to such a large audience. Is there any actual science to this? It sounds like complete bullshit, like your mom telling you the computer is slow because there are too many icons on the desktop. Isn't HDTV bandwidth determined by digital compression methods, not what you are pointing the camera at?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I used to like Buccigross but at some point he lost his mind and went whole hog with cutesy bullshit and insufferable made-up slang. He's awful on twitter. It's a shame because he was one of the few people on ESPN TV who knew anything about hockey.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

FuzzySkinner posted:

Anyone else digging the TNT/TBS/CBS integration for March Madness?

I like that TBS, TNT, and Tru are consecutive channels on DirecTV

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Benne posted:

Well, it will be once they fire Doug Gottlieb into the sun. Other than that, it's nearly flawless.

He's such a miserable turd. He's also one of the biggest "they get a FREE EDUCATION, isn't that ENOUGH?!" apologists. Apparently it wasn't for you, Mr. Credit Card Theft.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Also to hockey twitter. He's the worst.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I hope they give that cartoon NFL robot a visor and a 5-iron and show him every 5 minutes

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

There should be some sort of event at Scottsdale 16 with a timer, target circles, and crowd noise

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

FuzzySkinner posted:

I mean it's really an outdated concept at this point.

I'm kind of shocked one cannot go À la carte, pick the teams they like, and then be guaranteed said Team's individual channels.

Fox Sports Ohio/Sports Time Ohio/Root Pittsburgh are dinosaurs at this point. The same is very much true with DirecTV/Time Warner Cable.

A far better option would be to have a series of individual channels for the 92 teams out there. These channels could be accessed anywhere from your cable plan, XBOX, Tablet, IPhone or PC.

It's not shocking at all, the system you describe is simply less profitable to pro sports than the current one of exclusive territories and blackout regions.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

ESPNews owned during that in between time when Sportscenter was garbage but the Internet wasn't yet the best way to see highlights

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

MTV of course being the grandest offender.

It's The Learning Channel and it's not even close

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The new font and scroll bar just screams "default settings" to me

And yeah, good job with laying people off for a crazy new set, the old one was totally why ESPN was worthless for everything except live sports

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I also like how even ESPN television is at the point where they say "hey something cool happened, if you want to actually see it use the sportscenter app"

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

DJExile posted:

That reminds me, with the government outlawing the NFL's blackout rules, would that stand to eventually change their market rules as well? Or is that an apples/oranges thing?

They didn't actually outlaw the NFL's blackout rules, they're still in effect. The NFL just can't tell the networks "the government says you have to" when it's time to negotiate a new TV deal.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Wasn't Berman at the US Open more like the home base/MC type guy and they let Tirico do the hole-to-hole PBP?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Outrage against jersey ads is all we have. The NHL has straight up admitted the only reason they haven't done it is because they knew if they were the first, they'd be roasted for it.

Jerseys would be a great bubble to see pop. It has to be coming, what with prices for them going up and up while quality (physically, not aesthetically) goes down and down and people are starting to realize you can get knockoffs that look close enough for a fraction of the price.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Fun fact: Ariaga, Bariaga, Ariaga II, Aruglia, and Pizozza were jai alai players

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Benne posted:

NFL refs have to face the TV camera for every call and know where it is (or risk being a Twitter punchline), and they're playing to the TV viewers as much as the live crowd. It's an underrated aspect of the business, and I was just confused as to how Carey could be good at that part while looking/sounding so befuddled every time CBS cuts to him.

Maybe he'll get better with more experience, but he hasn't been impressive so far.

I miss Red Cashion.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Joking about Stu saying booyah too much back in the day now kinda seems like those people that thought the Simpsons became unwatchable trash in like, season 6.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

OrangeKing posted:

When I saw this post, I remembered part of the jingle: "call 1-900-976-ESPN!"

And then I found video proof.

95 cents per minute!

Remember when it was a big deal that they would put scores on a ticker every half hour?

I used to tape the 10 pm baseball game when I was little because that was the quickest way to see who won.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I will never understand watching people play video games because for my generation that was rear end in a top hat poo poo your buddy pulled when he didn't want to share his Nintendo. Good for them for branching out, though.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Nothing will ever beat Costas calling the St. Louis Spirits 4th quarter collapse "a blow job"

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Costas only, I meant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Wonder what those numbers would have been if Japan scored two goals in the first 5 minutes