Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I've listened to enough radio in my life when ESPNLA started heavily pimping a show that started before Cowherd and was on for two hours online during his show that the writing was on the wall but I actually figured they'd probably push him up to TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MourningView posted:

are those dudes as awful as I'm assuming they are? I want to celebrate finally being free of Cowherd in my morning commute (I usually wind up listening to sports radio because it's the only thing the dude I carpool with and I can agree on) but I fear it is not going to be much of an improvement.

I haven't given them a listen yet, they seemed fairly "default sports radio team" to me (so probably awful).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Kibner posted:

Just taking a moment to thank the Lakers for sending New Orleans Joel Meyers a couple years ago. Huge upgrade over Bob Licht for basketball play-by-play announcer.

Yeah I like him a lot. I like Bill MacDonald, he's a an LA legend but Meyers worked harder at not being a homer which was important.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
People were talking about the difficulty of getting sports stories early in the internet, it's still actually pretty difficult, expensive and the technology hasn't really grown that much. There are resources now that everyone has had the same idea, but three years ago when I was thinking of building my own LED sports ticker, it was almost impossible.

ElwoodCuse posted:

The Nickelodeon book sucks, it's very poorly edited and organized

Yeah it's too bad. Despite liking some of the stories there, I just gave up on reading it about half way through because it's a chore.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

It works when he has a good guest because he can actually be an okay host. His own opinions are godawful but he can push other people towards saying interesting things, and he used to get a lot of good guests. His Buddy Jack-O is not one of them.

When he has good guests, he does weird things like, make people step back from hyperbole, and examine multiple sides of the issue, and give the Lakers some amount of credit for what they've done over the last 60 years.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Universal is one of those stations from the era where you could just put a channel on with HD content and it didn't matter what the content was and they never really changed. I'm surprised it didn't go away five years ago.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
ESPN kind of created this monster themselves by arguably overbidding for TV rights to pull them off of network TV, which is where (at least at the time, not sure if it matters anymore) leagues wanted their content to be. Now they've pretty much playing chicken with NBC and Fox to see who can keep affording to have sporting program on their sporting channels. ESPN backed by Diseny has the means to beat them but I'm not sure how much longer the will is going to hold out since it's probably easier to turn a profit on Star Wars and Marvel, and those properties fit better under Disney umbrella.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

DJExile posted:

Nobody has genuinely given a poo poo about the rose bowl or their legacy since the USC dynasty died. That being said, the committee could have easily moved these games to Saturday, with no NFL competition and against some bowls that don't matter one bit. For some reason they wanted to create a new tradition of playing games that matter during times that literally nobody is watching TV.

I absolutely still care about the Rose Bowl, and care about it more than any other bowl. If there's been any tarnish on its legacy it's been trying to accommodate the NCAA's post season over the years instead of just being what it is.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

ElwoodCuse posted:

To keep it "what it is" would require the PAC and Big to agree to never win a national title again.

The "BCS National Title Game", even before the playoff, did more to damage the bowls because it made the big four games consolation prizes.

I guess to me the National Championship is just not that big of a deal. It's been mostly a mess during my lifetime.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I think there was so many bowls on that they went ahead and pushed some earlier in the day.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It's an olds-friendly holiday, almost always a built in day off the next day and very little on TV, and generally light work loads for a lot of people. I'd guess you probably don't see a lot of people at whatever age people typically have young children, but after it spikes back up in other age groups.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

AsInHowe posted:

There's essentially three tiers of bowl games.

- The prestigious ones, which are now largely just the New Year's Six (Rose, Sugar, Cotton, Orange, Fiesta, and sort of Peach). Roughly the top 12 teams, usually big matchups.
- The less-prestigious but still historic bowls, like the Citrus or Alamo bowls, which feature 2nd/3rd place teams from major conferences and have been going on for a long time.
- The filler bowls, which are typically fluid in name and location, feature teams around 7-5, and appear at all hours of the day at random on ESPN.

The filler bowls have a quality tier too, but this often changes from year to year and I've given up keeping track. I just like college football so the more of it the better.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I think Skip and Steve for better or worse are the font of the hot take and cannot be easily replaced by less creative people.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Akileese posted:

His reaction to having to travel the country with either Boomer Esiason or the corpse of Chick Hearn was amazing. This is probably one of my favorite Simmons podcast ever. Everyone needs to listen to this. I really want Al Michaels to have his own podcast after it.

I haven't heard it yet but if it's Simmons saying dumb poo poo about Chick Hearn, I won't, so thanks for the warning.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

soggybagel posted:

The other thing that is insane to me is that they have never leveraged the fact that they're in LA. Thousands of hungry talented young people who are smart and funny out here. Go hot take central but make it a youth movement. You can get a ton of inexpensive highly creative people who can do it all. I.E. Edit produce write and appear in front of camera.

I think they could've done something cool with that, especially since ESPN always namedrops that they are in LA, but it doesn't really feel like a very LA show.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I watched First Take a few times when I was preparing to go in for some Scary Medical Tests because it was impossible to not be "what the gently caress did that idiot just say?" constantly and it was a nice distraction.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I thought Tirico was decent when he did the NBA.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
That rules a lot.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Sash! posted:

Who the hell is watching someone play video games?

I watch football and hockey because I can't actually do those things, whereas I can actually play video games. Might as well be watching a video of a guy walking down the street.

Have you tried it? If the person is charismatic it can be fun.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

ESPN is significantly better at actually broadcasting games than just about anyone else. I'll agree NBC's NFL broadcast is better but a lot of that is the respective slate of games they get. It's easier to make it all about football when you have the best game every week. I'll take ESPN's college sports coverage over anyone else doing it by a mile.

Yeah, Fox is embarrassingly bad at college football production when you start to go past their A team. Even if ESPN isn't showing a game on anything but online they put effort into it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

DOOP posted:

FS1 really should have followed NBC and gobbled up all the niche sports out there

They had them and they were gobbled up from them.

I can kind of understand where they were they were coming from, NBC seemed to be overpaying for the programming they got for cheap, or sometimes were even paid to carry. It's actually kind of unfair since NBC is basically just trying to get enough content so that their sporting networks get into enough homes so that they aren't begging cable companies to temporarily add them to lower packages like the last two times the Olympics rolled around.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Looks like at least for now the Clippers and Prime Ticket are done.

At this point the Clippers and Fox (owners of Prime Ticket) were discussing doing another 1 or possibly 2 year deal. Clippers didn't want to do a long term deal unless they get near-Lakers money along with the the internet rights to the games so Ballmer can deliver what he promised when he got the team (he may not get this at all, NBA allows teams some leeway for video analysis on their website and such like that, but Ballmer feels that they have of all internet rights to local games, including broadcasting games, that should be an interesting fight if it ever happens). Clippers maintain that they are the closest they've ever been to the Lakers, so should be compensated as such.

Fox actually lowered their offer from the last year, and aren't giving up any internet rights. The Fox argument is that Clippers actually declined in ratings last year, too, by 1% (Clippers closed the gap on the Lakers because Lakers ratings fell 3%). So at least for now, they've ended negotiations.

So the Clippers are shopping the rights around. A lot of this feels like Vince McMahon's last attempt at a huge TV deal, though. So I kind of anticipate the Clippers and Fox coming back together, maybe with the Clippers on a stronger Fox station but not much else different.

Rick fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 17, 2016

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Honestly the best thing that ever would happen from a ratings perspective would be for an on air murder to happen. I'm guessing it's more a "what countries can we safely take a commercial during" thing.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

R.D. Mangles posted:

you're literally advocating for The Running Man

I'm not advocating it, just being realistic.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The only thing he has on his side is that this time of year is awful for sports media ratings but that's still really bad.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Not gonna complain because it probably means Jon Barry isn't there for that game.

Vertical Lime posted:

Tirico getting more makeup assignments

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/770654400708747264

Also found this interesting chart on how much each sports channel makes on carriage fees alone

https://twitter.com/SportsTVRatings/status/770649842586570752

e: Big 10 Network carriage revenue:
https://twitter.com/SportsTVRatings/status/770651413403676672

Well I guess that's how NBA-TV keeps going despite the fact that for whatever reason they struggle to sell ads for the network.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I have the Pac-12 network as part of the same package that I need to get NBA TV, which was pretty bad value before it came along. Actually between the Pac-12 network and the Mountain West network of all things usually means two decent games every weekend which justifies keeping the package between the NBA draft and preseason.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I just don't care about NFL football any more. That's why I don't watch.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Vertical Lime posted:

Another attempt to remake Sportscenter at a certain time of day

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/785933019152543746

This set is pleasant to look at.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

From what I heard, people were expecting the problems with getting stations on DirecTV to be over once AT&T was done with the transition to power but maybe this will speed things up.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It'll be interesting if UFC gets that deal since their arguments are basically the same arguments Vince McMahon had. In the end most networks decided "yeah you're getting a good demo but it's wrestling fans so who gives a gently caress." It'll be interesting if UFC has grown to the point they don't still have that same sort of dismissal of their numbers by most TV people.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

Yeah, from a fan income perspective, UFC does not have the issues that WWE has.

And I'd imagine the production deal would be to remove those folks from payroll. The biggest risk you'd run there is the network sticking someone on PBP who doesn't know poo poo about MMA.

It's not actual fan income, it's perception of fan income.

Initially when UFC partnered with Fox it looked like they had that advertiser confidence but it hasn't delivered the ratings and they've downscaled to the point that I have honestly no idea what the perception is. I guess the TV deal will say that.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

exploded mummy posted:

UFC has the exact same issue, but their rates aren't reduced as much as WWE.

They're losing a bit of money in the sense that live production is more expensive then taped, and they're eating that difference.

SD being live really wasn't a condition of the deal, it was more or less WWE and USA cutting a deal to boost the SD ratings and getting it off a night where it had to run against football.

It's worked well for the first 6 or so months at least.

I think Meltzer the other day said that TV money is up (and hiding PPV losses).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I wouldn't be surprised to see NBC come hard after UFC, not only for their sports channel but also to maybe position at least one program with wrestling. MMA and wrestling generally both do better ratings when paired together, much to the chagrin of some fans.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Vertical Lime posted:

if i'm not mistaken ufc's popularity growth started with the the first season of the ultimate fighter airing after raw

Yeah exactly. I could see them pairing it with Smackdown in the future or maybe even bringing Raw back down to two hours (pipedream).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
They never let anything breathe at all, they make fundamental changes to the show roughly every four weeks. Wilbon/Jalen/Magic/Simmons was probably their most successful configuration, but primarily because because they let it breathe. I refuse to believe that a better lineup than that can't be put on but drat it needs time.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

DJExile posted:

I think Wilbon and Magic left the show because they couldn't stand Simmons though

Magic pretty vehemently denies that he disliked Simmons but who knows. At least one thought is that the ESPN just wanted to get younger and less dude and let Magic quit to save face rather than being fired.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The fact that they are making record profits and still having to drastically cut costs is definitely not a great sign. As a non-business dude I really wonder what happens if they can't pay that money back.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

It's a good idea because the previous channel ruled but the branding of it sucked rear end.

As I understand it, many of the contracts in the US for these sports are tied in with the Olympics so they have a wealth of poo poo they already have rights to without a significant place to showcase it.

Also NBC somehow manages to sell ads for stations with no audience so they can better take a risk on a small station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

I cannot imagine anyone anywhere having a strong opinion about Mike Goldberg one way or the other, he's like as "generic sportscaster" as it gets. If he hadn't gotten a foot in the door right before UFC exploded into a mainstream thing I feel like he'd be doing midweek Conference USA games for espn or something and no one would ever be able to remember his name

Vince McMahon really liked Mike Goldberg. Mainly because he believes Goldberg can handle all the resets and plugs that traditional guys (with personality who are good at calling wrestling) struggle with. I half-jokingly believe it was because Goldberg chants used to bug him and being able to rationalize that they were chanting for Mike would be totally his jam.