Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

FuzzySkinner posted:

In a perfect world, we'd see more "debate" shows more so like OTL/Olbermann, in studio radio shows like Dan Patrick and the highlights show more like Jay and Dan for Fox Sports Live.

There's your formula.

Needless to say, I've enjoyed Olbermann thus far.

Has Olbermann turned down the smugness at all? That's the main reason I stopped paying attention to anything he's been doing over the past few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

The video posted earlier in the thread where the announcers read various Tweets was pretty funny, but for the love of all that is holy FS1, please do not integrate Twitter into your shows to the point where guests/hosts have to come up with their own "clever" hashtags for things. Twitter is fine for breaking news and things like that but ESPN over uses it sooooooooooo loving much and it is awful.

It is comical to hear 50 and 60 year old men try and act like they know what Twitter is, though.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I think he means Gus Johnson uses that same excited tone of voice for everything happening on the field, not just ridiculous Hail Marys and such (or whatever the soccer equivalent would be).

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I hope the trend of adding more and more dumbasses to yell about football continues and by this time in 10 years, pregame shows have approximately 57 people sitting at the desk.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

To liven things up, there should be only one microphone and the hosts have to engage in hand-to-hand combat for the right to speak into it.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

NFL pregame shows are only good when the hosts get pissed at each other over some stupid joke. On-air tension is the only redeeming factor.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

MourningView posted:

Generally their idea of fixing it has been to add even more people to talk over each other. Football on the west coast kinda sucks, but at least that dumb poo poo is mostly over by the time I wake up.

I wish I could still sleep until noon but I'm awake by 7am, even on weekends, so maybe I just need to move to the Best Coast to escape the awfulness.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

AsInHowe posted:

Matt Millen is a lead game analyst for ESPN, despite being a distinct failure at everything he touches post-retirement. Yet, bizarrely enough, he's still talking about nothing every week. It's amazing.

Sometimes, guys just don't want to get back into coaching. Look at Jon Gruden. That guy has a great gig on Monday nights, and it's pretty much just preparing for 17 broadcasts a year (plus preseason), instead of the total grind that is basically a job requirement for NFL head coaching. Why kill yourself once you've already proven your skills? Why not just do a completely fun job that's far more enjoyable?

The same goes for Jimmy Johnson.

Jimmy Johnson has a great life. Hang out in Miami most of the year, do the broadcasting thing and hawk dong pills on the side.

Also it really is amazing to see coaches once they've retired because they no longer look like they're constantly on the verge of suffering a massive rage-induced stroke.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 1, 2013

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

AsInHowe posted:

And with that great life, why would you give it all up to watch film for 16 hours a day?

I figure Jimmy actually "goes to work" 18-20 days out of the year, and that's just to a TV studio in LA. Great life.

That's why I have a real hard time believing Bill Cowher would take another coaching job. I realize guys like him have that endless competitive drive, but he's already got a Superbowl ring. Why try to get back into that lifestyle now? Not like he's got anything left to prove.

I would like to see him stop making those horrid Time Warner commercials though.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

MourningView posted:

His heart is in the right place but in practice he's really bad.

Hearing the phrase "Diaper Dandies" come out of his mouth really creeps me out for some reason.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

quote:

“This won’t be your typical pregame show because I’m hosting it and I’ve never played in the league and I don’t even know that many people who did play in the league," Cowherd said in an ESPN press release Tuesday.

"I only host a radio show and a TV show for ESPN, when am I ever going to meet football players?!"

I was laughing until I remembered THIS is what's replacing 'Outside the Lines'.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 4, 2013

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Seriously, Colin Cowherd in "original digital shorts"? Who the gently caress thought this up? It reeks of another desperate attempt to manufacture viral videos, which is impossible. I guarantee whoever suggested the idea is also a big fan of The Lonely Island. "We'll just do what they do!"

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Niwrad posted:

I like Olbermann's new show. Kind of a perfect format for him. He can be a blowhard but he's also intelligent and has a kind of humor a bit more suited for sports. He's also a good interviewer and I think can bring the best out of guests. It will be interested to see what happens when he digs his feet into an issue where ESPN has a relationship with the league. I know he's talked a little about concussions, but what would happen if he set his sights on the league and went after them on every show?

Can someone explain Bomani Jones to me? I know a lot of people like him and I haven't followed him much. I remember looking him up on Twitter one day and I thought his account was fake for a minute. It was him arguing with every person who disagreed with him, then doling out an insult, then bragging about how he owned the guy. It felt like something you'd see a teenager do.

ESPN would tell him to find a new topic or find a new job. There's no way you can consider them as any kind of journalistic entity (except for maybe 'Outside the Lines', which of course is losing it's time slot so Colin loving Cowherd can do dumb poo poo), they're just a profit center owned by one of the most powerful corporations in the world and they just happen to do a shitload of business with one of the most powerful sports leagues in the world. It wouldn't be a big deal for them to kick Olbermann back to doing interviews on some cable channel no one watches.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Of course the useless ESPN affiliate here won't be carrying Dan LeBatard's show, why air something that people might listen to? Then again, this is the station that gave some shithead named Bruce Jacobs a job (at least today is his last day) and also just fired two guys for getting completely swindled by a fake Shane Spencer on air. ESPN 104.5 THE TEAM!!! gently caress YEAH!!!