Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

FuzzySkinner posted:

It'd really help if the NFL, NCAA (I know, lawsuits), MLB wouldn't be so stingy sometimes about uploading games. (Formula 1 too, though I don't think anyone in this thread gives a poo poo about that)

Look, if you're not going to air them anywhere, and it's not for profit, why bother blocking them?

I mean, if you made say, the "1986 Cleveland Browns" season available for purchase, it's not like I'd be all that hesitant to buy those up. But it's not up for purchase, and god forbid HermanFontenotfan28 uploads them, why should you complain about it?

Furthermore, you should be tracking these people down, and thanking them. A lot of the footage of old games have been deleted/lost, and it'd sure as hell be good to have a couple of amateur Steve Sabol's on hand with the tapes.

MLB should get a lot of poo poo for a lot of things, but putting baseball games on the internet is not one of them. You do have to be a subscriber, but they put up all the broadcasts for every game, all the radio broadcasts, highlight packages and condensed games. They also have like a "greatest games" section where you can just go watch incredible old baseball games. They're doing an excellent job putting the best version of their product out there so you don't have to hunt through youtube for it.

I don't disagree that the NHL and NBA have far more seriously embraced the instant highlight packaging that youtube and other upload sites allow, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Gus Johnson is pretty rad, and has been modulating his tone for a lot of years broadcasting a variety of sports.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Josh Lyman posted:

Then what do we do on Sunday from when we wake up to 1pm ET?

Sleep later.

Don't watch NFL pregame shows and you'll have a better life. Maybe read Mike Tanier's preview 2-3 times instead.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
How in the world is Verducci even considered a color analyst anyway?

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

MourningView posted:

I don't really know that there's some special qualification you need to meet to do that job, but he's written about the sport for a prominent outlet forever. That doesn't mean that he's going to be good on TV, but there's no rule that you need to be a former player to do it.

I meant to ask how he's in the running for consideration. His stuff has never trended towards analysis, it's more reporting and public interest stuff.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

DJExile posted:

Partly that, partly also that it'd be a logistical nightmare to have to keep paying cameramen, producers, etc. to keep shooting events that probably aren't going to get a lot of attention.

Literally every event is being streamed live by the Olympic Broadcasting Service, which they're showing on their website. As far as I am aware, the feeds and the things like the splits/scores/etc graphics are the same for every country, and then for TV events the country's broadcaster will package that with their crew. I imagine that NBC has extra cameras to capture footage for something like figure skating, for example, but every event is already being shot and produced.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Everything about this list depresses me.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

R.D. Mangles posted:

1. NBA. This is by far the worst because for some reason, every discussion over the all-star break is about who the MVP is. Who is the best basketball player? It is still LeBron James. It has been LeBron for some time and will be him for the conceivable future, except for the year that Derrick Rose won when everyone could see that, by EVERY OBJECTIVE MEASURE AND SOME NOT YET INVENTED DERRICK ROSE WAS BY FAR THE SUPERIOR PLAYER. Despite Bill Simmons's efforts to change this, basketball is not an individual sport that can be reduced to one-on-one battles to determine who wants it more, but for some reason the MVP debate continues to be dominate MVP consideration when it's more important to determine who the coolest basketball player is and that is Ronnie Turiaf.

In that year it was LeBron James, too. In this year it should probably end up being LeBron James, because he is the best basketball player in the world. Durant is awfully good this year though, so he will win the MVP because everyone would die of boredom and spite if the best player in the NBA, LeBron James, won the MVP every year.

If you ask "Is LeBron James the league MVP?" the default answer is yes until he gets old and breaks down. But that's boring so let's yell.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

MourningView posted:

Durant winning this year would not just be a case of people being bored with LeBron.

I mean people yelling on ESPN in general is really dumb, but debating the MVP award isn't inherently dumb or wrong. It's the most prestigious individual award in the sport. Of course people who follow basketball care.

Oh no, Durant would be a totally legit and non-spite pick for NBA. I understand and appreciate that. I am just pointing out if you gave out the MVP to LeBron James before the season started, by the end of the season you would be correct to have done so much more often than not.

The thing about Sports TV "debate" is it is all about yelling because apparently other types of discussion ARE boring on TV.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Benne posted:

Bayern is going to shithouse Man U and Gus will call it a "major upset" because Man U is the only soccer team he's heard of before taking this job.

Can we please stop talking about Gus Johnson like he's a literal idiot who doesn't know how broadcasting works, rather than the network-selected commentator they keep running out who's the wrong choice because trial-by-fire is really dumb?

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Crazy Ted posted:

And they use the standard FOX NFL/other sports music for their golf coverage.

Only if they use the slow tempo "injury break" music 100% of the time because it's golf.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Point conceded. You're right. HOOT AND HOLLER IT'S THE US OPEN

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

ElwoodCuse posted:

It's not shocking at all, the system you describe is simply less profitable to pro sports than the current one of exclusive territories and blackout regions.

I'm not certain that's true anymore. With the combination of fans all over and more ubiquitous internet, the ability to offer yourself to the most people at all times seems like the best way to go.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Mahoning posted:

It definitely is true. But you're not wrong. It's just that advertising hasn't caught up with the new technology yet. Ad time on the actual cable channels are still worth a hell of a lot more money than streaming (and mlb.tv barely even has commercials).

Which is why I can't believe these channels are throwing so much money at these baseball teams when the contract is up.

Cable channels could stream their feed and you'd get all the commercially goodness right there on your not-television. Just because they do not doesn't mean they shouldn't or can't.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

MourningView posted:

Erin is actually about as good at that dumb job as you can be so she's sort of a weird way to prove that point.

She's also at least in her mid 30s (maybe close to 40?) and has been covering sports for like 15 years now. I get that she's sort of the flag bearer for "attractive sideline white lady" but at this point is one of the most experience sideline reporters out there.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Kwik posted:

She's 36, and started with ESPN in 2004, so not exactly 15 years, but the point is still valid. She is one of the most experienced at the job. Still doesn't excuse how Fox has treated Pam Oliver.

Sure, but she didn't start at ESPN. She was covering sports prior to that.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Alright, which pairing is worse?

Buck/Aikman or Nantz/Simms.

I'm going with the CBS crew because it's just grating like all hel. Aikman is kind of a non-entity in terms of being annoying.

Joe Buck learned how to emote sometime in the last 10 years, and he's become one of the better play by play guys around. It's painful and terrible to have said that.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Mahoning posted:

Hey guys, Joe Buck will be calling US Open golf next year. :suicide:

Joe Buck and golf deserve each other.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Watching Rich Eisen talk is just crushing.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Vertical Lime posted:

Eisen pulled off another tribute by doing Colts-Bengals highlights in Stu's style:

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/r...dium=socialflow

That's very cool.

It also highlights what I hate about the NFL Network highlights. Shut up and stop saying random poo poo while Rich Eisen is trying to talk. Yes we all know he's doing Stuart Scott's stuff.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah it was right before the Internet made the show kind of irrelevant, since over time you could watch those clips online instead. But SportsCenter was huge during that time.

"Right before" isn't really the right way to say it. The years kind of roll together now, but SportsCenter as people my age probably think about it was THE relevant all-encompassing north american sports show for like 15 years. The 90s through ~2005 or so, probably. For most of that time SC was actually about showing highlights of stuff. I mean, Eisen was there from 96-03 and went right to NFL Network.

gently caress, YouTube didn't exist until 2005. People definitely weren't putting up comprehensive highlights before that. gently caress, Rich Eisen's been at NFL Network for over 10 years.

Man SportsCenter used to be so good. :(

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
I am ecstatic for ESPN to be promoting and broadcasting anything that's an actual sporting event. There are sports happening nearly literally 24 hours a day. I can see people talking anywhere.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Yeah she did the completely telegraphed walk out of her office, down a hallway, turn around, end up where she started. I chuckled anyway.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

MourningView posted:

They have aired poker, darts, pool, driving in cars, golf, bowling, people riding in a bus playing madden, dogs jumping, people riding horses, people throwing logs, magic the gathering, soccer, scrabble, people eating lots of hot dogs, and a loving spelling bee. They air lots of things that are not strictly speaking sports, and the world hasn't ended yet. They have a lot of hours to fill, and at least it's not Skip Bayless Yelling. Chill the heck out, internet.

Exactly. My love for 1990s ESPN 2 isn't because they had Important Sports Personalities letting me know which sports I should care about. It's because they had Aussie Rules Football and Lumberjack Games and World's Strongest Man and loving trickshot pool that they made into an event somehow.

Please give me all the weird sports and games. The less desks and studio mics I see, and the more insane competitions they show, the happier I'll be.

e: seriously watch this dumb poo poo and not Cowherd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN6dhpUMVTc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8ycSMrDN5c

Badfinger fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 28, 2015

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Hockles posted:

I've been wondering this for like 20 years. When somebody puts crazy spin on a billiards ball..

Is it: "Mass-ee" or "Mah-say" ?

Same pronunciation as the last syllable in "melee".

It's a long "A"

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Benne posted:

Either way, the show was a ratings bust so that's probably the end of that experiment.

I'd have probably tuned in if I had known it was happening. I saw on twitter that ESPN was doing a video games thing and I went to their streaming service because I assumed it would be there.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Dango Bango posted:

I was catching up on this thread and thought exactly this when Summeral's name came up. He flubbed names left and right and was audibly confused at points during the games. :smith:

That's old guy Summerall, though. I get that sometimes it's time to move on, but Joe Buck was born monotone. Summerall started broadcasting in 1962, was paired up with Madden before I was born, and was inducted into the broadcaster HoF before FOX won out the rights to broadcast football. He was pretty good for a pretty long time.

He was a recovered alcoholic, that's true.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Actual consequences from Cowherd being a shithead: MLBPA might withhold cooperation from ESPN & Fox until the situation gets resolved somehow.

H/T Hardball Talk

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2015/07/24/mlb-players-association-upset-colin-cowherds-comments-dominicans-espn/30605259/

quote:

It wasn’t only Dominicans who were offended by Cowherd’s implication that players from that nation are not smart. The players association has not issued a formal statement, but a person close to the union assailed Cowherd’s professionalism and termed the comments ignorant and offensive.

The person, who spoke to USA TODAY Sports on condition of anonymity due to the sensitive nature of the topic, also said the lack of response from ESPN - and Cowherd's future employer, Fox, has upset its members just as much as the comments, and they will consider withholding cooperation with the networks. ESPN and Fox are national rightsholders to major league games, and Fox carries its jewel events, the All-Star Game and World Series

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

soggybagel posted:

Colin Cowherd = Jon Stewart.

I don't actually understand what the equivalency is, aside from white men on television.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

howe_sam posted:

Well sure, but Vin is also more of a PBP guy, and that's never required a background in playing the game.

I will admit, I was thrown for a bit of a loop the first time I saw Mendoza on BBTN talking authoritatively about some sort of mechanics of playing the game thing, not in a "she can't do that" sort of way just "huh, that's not something I've seen before."

She played elite softball for like a decade. There is nuance and difference between softball and baseball but it's not like she doesn't have a lifetime of experience playing a ball bat diamond sport at the highest level she could.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Luigi Thirty posted:

So I guess the entire internet had a meltdown about a feeeeemale broadcasting the Wild Card game because she's not a former player and therefore has no idea what baseball is even about. Did anyone famous poo poo their pants on Twitter over it? I saw some screenshots of Atlanta radio hosts throwing fits and a whole bunch of morons ranting about feminism taking over ESPN.

1) Wait this happened AGAIN? I saw her on the broadcast and assumed it was a foregone conclusion that after she killed it in August/September she would be in the booth.

2) I mentioned this the last time we had this very sad and terrible conversation too, it is funny that "not a former player" applies even though she is very near the top of accomplishment in diamond/bat sport playing out of all available broadcasters. If you broaden that to all sports it becomes even more hilariously wrong.

Like, my hometown broadcast team includes Former Major League Baseballer Ben Davis. Who the gently caress is Ben Davis, and who decided he is allowed to talk very stupidly about baseball for 7 months a year? Jessica Mendoza, please.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

ayn rand hand job posted:

You'd be looking at a fundamental restructuring of just about every aspect and elimination of bowl games.

I really don't believe this is true. They were able to incorporate a semifinal playoff game into the bowl structure without disrupting the previous 72 weeks of bowl games. You can insert the playoff games and remove the teams who qualified and keep the rest of the bowls exactly as they are. The inclusion of the 5-7 bowls doesn't affect the national championship, and the incorporation of a real playoff structure doesn't affect the 5-7 bowls.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Harlock posted:

It's going to be a sad day when Al Michaels stops doing NFL games. There's maybe 2-3 tolerable NFL pbp guys anymore.

Joe Buck is objectively one of the best pro football pbp announcers and it's abhorrent that this fact is true.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

ElwoodCuse posted:

The ratings for the NFL Draft and the Pro Bowl are intervention-level troubling

The draft definitely. The Pro Bowl probably has less interest than the Senior Bowl and the drat combine. That's why it's one of the only things the NFL keeps loving with - moved to before the Super Bowl, changing locations, all that.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
That reminds me very much of the fake hats the NCAI made coming at it the other way a few years ago.

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2013/10/08/racism-of-sports-logos-put-into-context-by-american-indian-group/

http://www.ncai.org/resources/ncai-publications/Ending_the_Legacy_of_Racism.pdf

Not knowing the National Congress of American Indians put those out made googling for this incredibly dangerous waters.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
^^^ Hooooly poo poo they're gonna lose so much money on that contract.

Benne posted:

In this thread making fun of hot takes, I'll make a take of my own: Jon Gruden is the Madden successor we've been waiting for.

I agree with you. I had a glimmer of the same thought recently.

Bear in mind, this is a world in which I think Joe Buck might actually be the best we can get for pro football pbp.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

MourningView posted:

Al Michaels is still working so Joe Buck is not even particularly close to being to best lead play by play guy calling games for a major network

Sorry, I was thinking about the foreseeable future rather than the present. I'm with you on Al Michaels. For all we know Al might go another 15 years, but part of me doubts it.

quote:

That is a disgusting act.

That was over a decade ago astonishingly. He's managed to call a few reasonable ballgames between then and now.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Anals of History posted:

This is super depressing and entirely accurate.

That's much more a reflection of the football than the alternative.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Sash! posted:

Who the hell is watching someone play video games?

I watch football and hockey because I can't actually do those things, whereas I can actually play video games. Might as well be watching a video of a guy walking down the street.

Riot's presentation is better than any sports broadcast on Fox Sports 1. Again, this is not hyperbole. They have an Inside The NFL-type show, a fantasy show, pre-game, post game, and they sell out the Staples Center faster than any team in LA can.

It's because they're extremely slickly produced competitions. They're sporting events, but instead of showing you something you think you can never do, they show you something you think you could maybe do. It taps the massive demographic of "people who play video games" which is everyone on the planet with electricity.

This entire loving forum watches wrestling for 9 hours a week for some reason. It baffles me that watching something that has actual competitive stakes continues to be met with confusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

AsInHowe posted:

Okay, let me stop you right there.

If ESPN got the rights to show this stuff, the only scenario is that the entire presentation would be about ESPN, just like they do for Monday Night Football. That's one of the biggest complaints about ESPN's MNF - NBC presents football in a way that shows off football, ESPN presents football in a way that is designed to show off ESPN.

The presentation would be changed for the sake of making it more about ESPN, regardless of what the actual presentation is now. There'd be a lot of cross-branding promotion, commentary designed around people that have never played a video game in their life, and Stephen A Smith self-promotionally yelling about nothing.

It's ESPN. This is ESPN's entire content strategy, regardless of what they show.

I don't disagree with you, but I was addressing why someone would watch a video game, not why someone would watch it on ESPN or if ESPN is smart to buy coverage rights.

quote:

Even if there's "good" demand for eSports, no loving way is there $500 million for one game demand.

I would be willing to bet the demand in total ad revenue etc is actually significantly higher than 500m over whatever 5-7 years, but probably not on ESPN. You'd miss the market outside of North America, which is very large.