Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
Am I remembering wrong or didn't the latest ESPN book have a couple people talking a good bit about what an rear end in a top hat Tirico was toward Kornheiser and really contributed heavily to Tony's stint on MNF not working at all? If Tirico is the one I'm thinking of he really did come across as a non-professional douche in that regard.

Also ESPN is kinda terrible these days but I understand why so many people still like it. Personally I stopped watching SportsCenter and those "debate" shows of theirs a couple months ago and haven't missed it at all. Using ESPN and its considerable resources and still great live event coverage solely to watch games and get the occasional big news tidbits is definitely the way to go, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005

Jon Ourand posted:

Overnights (rounded to single digit) from 11pm-midnight last night: SportsCenter (0.6), Olbermann (0.4) Fox Sports Live (0.0).

I don't know a whole huge ton about overnights ratings/calculations, even after working in TV for a few years. But I DO know you really don't want a 0.0.

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

There are some vile people (I call them "civic parents") on this planet. I know a guy in my hometown who desperately wanted his son to be a high school starting QB. When he didn't get the middle school starting job, he was moved to another school, then another, then another, until he finally wound up at a school where he probably only made it because they needed a QB.

Also, one of the football coaches from a local school had twins a few years ago with his girlfriend. It's been widely said that he doesn't want anything to do with the daughter because she'll never play football.

This isn't broadcast-related, but deserves mentioning. Any talk of psychotic sports parents and what it does to the kids needs mention of the Esquire article on Todd Marinovich from several years ago. If you haven't read it yet, definitely take the time to, especially in relation to this chat about kids and sports. It's fantastic, and terribly sad.

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
RIP Keith Jackson, apparently