Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lockback posted:

I feel like it's a bit of a stretch to flame someone for using a Foghorn Leghorn saying, but a dude commenting on NBA for a living should probably know better.

"I've got black friends. I employ black people. I don't employ them because they are black; I employ them because they are the best people who applied for the cotton-picking job."

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

'I'm gonna assume "cotton-picking" is a regional dialect of "cherry-picking," which would be a valid comment for Russ' board hunting

but yeah, that dude needs a talking to

It is not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

MacheteZombie posted:

One hour and forty minutes of the ten hours will be space jam playing

Space jam is like 80 minutes long but it’s an awesome idea to play it 1.3 times

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

iwentdoodie posted:

I feel like NBA will happen in the next 2 years, at least for a decent chunk of games. NFL in the 20s, after it crashes and burns in a couple years because the owners are whiny racist pissbabies.

MLB and NHL both have decent streaming already, and can easily be made much better.

NBA is by far the most Online league and their streaming sucks.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lockback posted:

Both Chicago and Portland have the "liberal city dominating the mostly red rest of the state", and there's lots on outrage and money you can wring from that if you stir the pot enough

isn't that true of every big city in the US though? The electoral map is just a sea of red counties around blue islands where most of the actual people live.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1663879700454711299

Man he got less than I thought. Although I guess it probably equals out now that like he doesn't have to pay and deal with like the management and overhead side of running his own business/show.

Wild. He took a $13m/year paycut? No way that pays for itself in any kind of production savings. Has to be something else going on.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Panzeh posted:

The PGA really isn't pleased with the possibility of a drawn out antitrust lawsuit against them from someone with a lot of money. Honestly, LIV might have a point by the law, with the PGA's policies being anti-competitive.

Every major North American sports league is anticompetitive and wants to avoid a lawsuit that would make them play by rules, except the MLB who get the ignore the rules because the court REALLY liked baseball in the 20s

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

That’s brutal, poor Stan and their kids

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Island Nation posted:

Didn't Andy give the toys away in Toy Story 3?

oh man i hope this novelty telecast doesn't contradict toy story canon

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CharlestheHammer posted:

They seem to be going more for a generalized sports package and AEW is kind of to niche to do a lot

Maybe early on when streaming companies were just throwing cash at anyone for content sure but Max is already cutting content because man are they losing money

All the major streaming services are likely profitable outside of creating “original content”, and the ones with ads are probably profitable even then. The problem at wb-discovery is that they are 50 billion in debt, not that they aren’t making any money

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Mike_V posted:

Well, this is the problem because all of those legacy companies wanted to follow the Netflix model, but forgot they weren't first movers (and also provided the grist for the Netflix mill for 10 years) and decided to spend $x,000,000,000 per year on original programming and movies while also charging way below market rates (except for HBO Max). You also sort of have to have original stuff to acquire subscribers; library content is for retention, but acquisition does require new things.

There's a lane for library services, but FASTs are filling that at the moment and are nowhere near as profitable, so shareholders aren't going to allow that as a main business at this point. This is a problem entirely created by these companies themselves, so it's hard to feel too much (or any) pity for them.

Oh absolutely on the latter (they made this bed by overinvesting in production, and they’re ruining good services by demanding gigantic returns on what by nature is going to be a slow and steady money maker) but you don’t need “acquisition” to be profitable nor am I convinced new content is the only way to drive it. Criterion is making money, Arrow is making money, and they are just rotating libraries and getting licenses on older content. The problem is the gulf between what streaming works for (steady long term income) and what coked up executives want (giant influxes of cash so they can cash checks and bail before it collapses).

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Spaced God posted:

Mina cut her teeth as a financial investigative journalist for years before switching to sports. Her pop punk phase just makes her even more badass. Not as cool as a ska phase tho

She said post punk. You insult her

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Why does he have a hate boner for Jimmy Kimmel

I'm assuming it's vaccine related

Maybe he just knows Kimmel’s a creep. He used to host a show about doing funny misogyny he’s definitely an rear end in a top hat

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

C. Everett Koop posted:

https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/1745937494107951181

pawwwwwwwwwwlllllllllllll stay outta polatacks stick to sports paaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Why is a guy calling into the Paul finebaum show to talk about Richard Nixon, is that a normal thing they talk about

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Forrest on Fire posted:

Why? Just take a SAS/Mad Dog debate but microwave Mad Dog. It'll be the same basic product

mad dog is both significantly cooler as a person and significantly less funny than Donald Trump

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Rick posted:

lmao.

This is an interesting and I think you're right in the sense that it at least takes an alternative off the table for them. Although Netflix moving on WWE makes me wonder if they are a viable threat, and we know Apple is desperate to get a big sport on their network.

yeah the apple and amazon money is still there, and nbc has already shown they're interested in getting sports on peacock. there will still be bids.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Am I crazy or did he use the phrase "triumph of will" at one point

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

RandomHodge posted:

100% this, another reason why it’s funny to imply people just want cheerleaders as announcers. Most of them just complain about everything

i just want an nfl level of positivity, where bad plays or mistakes are criticized but the announcers don't openly poo poo on the concept of a given matchup or an entire generation of players/playstyles and negative comments don't make up 50% of the airtime

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lockback posted:

She will make the sponsorship money either way.

and if she sends wnba ratings through the roof, their media deal is up after this season and suddenly wnba salaries will be much higher

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

harperdc posted:

I really think we’ll look back in a decade or two and see this period of time as similar to the Magic-Bird era, especially if Clark and Reese have as big of careers in the WNBA as the expectations would have you believe.

Reese was the 7th overall pick, not saying it's impossible but the expectations for her are not that gigantic. She didn't even go in the top half of the first round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Isentropy posted:

It should be. I can't see how they see other leagues losing money because no one wants to subscribe to 7 services and want that

We are all gonna return to the Streams of the Eastern winds eventually especially given none of these systems are reliable

I would bet most people are subscribed to 5+ streaming services and don’t even remember 2 of them. Most people don’t care and it’s going to be accepted practice to have 10 streaming services and pay cable prices again soon