Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

seiferguy posted:

I've not once met a person who liked Joe Buck, either in person or in media. I just have to wonder why he still has a job and gets the "best" assignments for broadcasting.

His dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

The Prisoner posted:

We were talking about this in the other Sports Journalism thread a few weeks ago and someone (sorry, I can't remember who) brought up that in the ESPN oral history book people in the Post newsroom couldn't tell the difference between early PTI and actual lunchroom arguments Wilbon and Kornheiser were having. Well, except for the lack of swearing.

It's too bad Around the Horn has never had a consistently idiot-free panel, but at least they're not giving Jay Mariotti a platform anymore and Bomani Jones is pretty good.

Bomani is so good that he makes me willing to watch an hour's worth of ESPN debate shows (though I would probably like DLHQ regardless because of how bizarre it is).

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

I will boycott every product advertised on ESPN if the show League of Legends garbage

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

I'm more of a Dota fan myself, but Valve doesn't need the money to give those rights away.

At least it's not Call Of Duty. :colbert:

That's also garbage

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

Ugh he's awful. It's like they just said "OK Gus, now a team is a side, the field is the pitch, and you always say nil instead of zero. You're on, we're live!"

That's why people hate him? Well now Gus Johnson as a soccer announcer rules.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

MourningView posted:

Generally speaking I feel like he gets excited mostly for exciting things. Sports are very exciting!

He also has some superpower where the craziest poo poo always happens to the games he calls.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

It should be pretty good, Cowherd will just emulate like the shows he's finds the funniest, like Amos and Andy.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Bomani is really funny and treats sports shouting shows like the dumb things they are. That's my story on why I like Bomani Jones.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Groucho Marxist posted:

Bomani is really funny and treats sports shouting shows like the dumb things they are. That's my story on why I like Bomani Jones.

Right on cue, he and Spencer Hall and others tried sneaking into a high school football game. They got caught and kicked out.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

So you just wanted an OSU/Michigan Big 10 wankfest that year but are opposed the recent LSU/Bama SEC wankfest?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

If Finebaum interviewing Drake doesn't sound like the best thing in the world, you're a lost cause.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

What about Premiere League viewers? :colbert:

I remember thinking it was strange that she was leaving SportsNation for Access Hollywood and even weirder when she was going back to sports on a network that nobody watches. If anything, she should fire her agent.

I bet both of those stops got her more money so the agent is probably doing their job.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

I gotta hand it to Fox for getting a list of candidates so bad that it's making me root for the terrible broadcaster who's been the rumored heir all year.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Live tape breakdown seems kind of cool but it won't be narrated by a gambling addicted pervert, so pass.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

I would probably watch Film Room if the main feed was called by someone who isn't Musberger, but that dude rules too much to pass over.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Actually proclaiming Seth Petruzelli as the new Rocky after beating a terrible Kimbo Slice was the greatest call in fighting history.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Mahoning posted:

I agree, I don't know why they don't do this in the first place for mlb.tv. I'd love to see Cincinnati commercials again. Skyline and Goldstar Chili especially.

I'm sure they would if those places and products paid them money to

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Mike Breen is a way better PBP guy at basketball than Mike Tirico.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Phil hates travel so much that I doubt he ever really entertained the idea of doing TV.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

This NLCS sabermetric simulcast is terrible. The game is permanently spiltscreened with analysts staring at their TV.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Mike Goldberg calling NFL games means that like 90% of players are "explosive"

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

it was cool when he called tony temple having the greatest game in cotton bowl history

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Can anyone come up with a good restaurant analogy for what Colin is going through?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Seriously gently caress the Indians for taking Francona from the booth

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

He's fine on studio stuff but I can't imagine him being that good at color commentary

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Mendoza is the best color commentator ESPN's baseball coverage has ever had outside of maybe Francona

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

So Simmons announced that they are doing a Mike and the Mad Dog 30 for 30.

As in an actual 30 for 30 or Simmons producing his own documentaries for HBO?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

john smoltz is also a bad announcer

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

the field goal line is a line for cowards

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

DJExile posted:

I'm with Benne on this. NBCSN has done a hell of a job with the Premier League and NHL. FS1 seems stuck in no-man's land right now, and it's a shame given the talent they have available.

I could give a poo poo less about the UFC but yeah if that's your trump card you might as well go all-in on it. I don't know who owns the specific rights to what though, between Fox, UFC and... is Zuffa still a thing? They seemed to have their name attached to Ultimate Fighter and some of the free PPV events.

Zuffa is just the parent company of UFC

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

This is like when people got mad at Dana White for calling wrestling fake.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

I liked the baseball playoff games Dick Stockton called because he pronounced "error" in a funny way and there were a lot of errors that series he did.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Ken "Hawk" Harrelson

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Adam Schefter interviewing Jerry Jones for an hour sounds like torture

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Parity has never really existed in the NFL

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

They have the best stable of PBP guys in sports idgi

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Mahoning posted:

And not even like "became a talking head on an NFL pregame show and that's it" kind of success. Like true "everyone in America knows who he is" kind of success. Maybe that's an exaggeration, but my wife knows who he is (and loves him) because of Kelly and Michael and she's a pretty good indicator of fame outside of sports.

That's absolutely what Tiki was trying to be, now he's been hilariously usurped by Strahan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

I understand why people think he sucks but calling him the worst sports announcer has always been insane when there's such a bounty of garbage to choose from