Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

A panel of Donovan McNabb, Ephraim Salaam, Gary Payton, and Andy Roddick sounds horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Personally, I think ESPN2 should be showing more Magic the Gathering tournaments.

I really wonder what'll happen if a misguided exec tries to tread into E-Sports water.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It's going to be a sad day when Al Michaels stops doing NFL games. There's maybe 2-3 tolerable NFL pbp guys anymore.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Bird in a Blender posted:

At least in football, I would really love for all screen graphics to disappear once the play starts. First down line and LOS line are fine since they're unobtrusive. Not that it happens often, but those bugs can cover up part of the play. Plus it's just nice for replays to have a clean screen.
Alternatively just make it a frame around the image or a bar at the bottom that is separate from the field camera and keep it there forever.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The response has pretty much been from idiots, "I'm white and not offended, therefore Native Americans should just get over it"

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

FS1 fired 80% of its staff so it could hire all the ESPN cast offs at big money

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Ray Lewis and Cris Carter are the newest ESPN casualties

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

eSports is a massively growing sector and everyone is gonna try to get in on it until the bubble collapses who knows when (if ever).

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

the talent deficit posted:

esports are cool and good, but who is gonna watch on espn when they can watch on youtube or twitch? if espn gets exclusives i'm pretty sure people will just watch some other stream
All I want is a dedicated chat box on ESPN2 spamming Kappa in prime time television. Among other things.

Sash! posted:

Who the hell is watching someone play video games?

I watch football and hockey because I can't actually do those things, whereas I can actually play video games. Might as well be watching a video of a guy walking down the street.
It's just like with other activities. I can play tennis, chess, hockey, and even golf - but I'm by no means a pro. We watch them because it's the best people in the world presumably playing them. Speedwalking is a televised Olympic sport (pls watch in 2016).

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Unrelated to the terrible news but to just throw my two cents in: there is no ESPN original programming worth watching. Watch for live sports if you must but all the studio shows and personalities are terrible. I can't remember the last time I even turned ESPN on for a non sporting event. Probably years ago.

Also to touch on Bill Simmons chat: launching a weekly sports talk show in the middle of the summer is not a great idea. Baseball is the only active sport and nobody is watching a weekly baseball show. Should have launched during football season because football anything seems to do well - including over analysis of training camp and practice.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Al Michaels' voice needs to be digitized and put into a sound bank so we can have robo Al Michaels for years to come. Along with Vin Scully.

In terms of NFL, there's pretty much Al Michaels and then idk Ian Eagle.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Unmerciful posted:

Buzz Bissinger's Gucci addiction is right up there too

The intro:
The Joe Buck story immediately brought this to mind

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Don't spend 2 billion dollars to show bad NFL games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Last I recall broadcast networks were paying less to the NFL for better games / coverage. ESPN paid more for worse.