Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

Deathlove posted:

I was watching it at a sports bar over the weekend and it said some kid's favorite movie was 42. I didn't believe it. The next kid up had Predator. That's my boy.

The Red Sox have done this kind of thing periodically over the course of the season. This is how I found out Jose Iglesias's favorite movie was Just Go With It :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

Ever wondered how The Worldwide Leader creates and manipulates your favorite NCAA football team's schedule in an attempt to generate money, ratings, hype, and drama?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/25/sports/ncaafootball/college-footballs-most-dominant-player-its-espn.html?ref=sports&_r=0

Stanford/Oregon this year, along with the Classics to start the season, are ESPN creations.

Well then that's a good job by ESPN because those games loving rule. So much better than everyone starting against cupcakes.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Speaking of HBO Sports, "State of Play: Trophy Kids" premiered like a month ago but I didn't see it until the other day. Basically it follows four psychopath parents who push their kids way too hard to succeed at sports. It's a really uncomfortable watch, particularly when the football kid's father is berating his son in the car (two separate times).

This is the trailer where Peter Berg explains a bit more about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqIvsMZhuz8&t=645s

I don't mind the tough love, rub-some-dirt-on-it attitude in sports because I do feel like it serves a purpose at times, but a lot of this straight up mental abuse.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

TL posted:

Would Fox have any interest/ability to rebrand YES under the Fox Sports banner?

I'm just a layman, but the YES brand actually seems strong and I don't see a reason to screw with it.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

DJExile posted:

Problem is NBCSports is basically an afterthought for anything except hockey and I see them just getting ruined on ESPN. :sigh:

I am pretty sure their EPL ratings are exceeding expectations, and obviously right now they have the Olympics which can't hurt either.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Why wouldn't they just replace him with Liam McHugh or somebody? I know the Olympics are his thing but drat, not like this.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Pac-12 games at 9am local time?

e: oh, it’s possible but mostly B10 and B12 I guess

Ace Jameson fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 13, 2019

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
I feel like Buffalo is always up there in the top markets regardless of matchup, those people fuckin’ love hockey

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
I think Pierre often gets more poo poo than he deserves, but Boucher is really good so I don’t really mind the flip-flop.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Only three years ago but I completely forgot that Chip Kelly coached the Niners

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Except Kornheiser is right, and it has nothing to do with mens' vs womens' sports. If the WC game were tonight (with the same outcome), and the Caps home opener was tonight, and they did that with the Caps story across the top, it would just look odd. And that's for a team that is much more popular than the Mystics.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
The WNBA finals are still of less interest than the Caps home opener, but ok—if it were DC United in the MLS Cup or whatever it would still be an odd look.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
I think carving out Tuesday night as a thing is a good call, similar to what they've done with the NBA on Thursdays--you can always count on it being there. They tried it with Sunday afternoon but that's a tough ratings draw in the summer, this seems like a better idea.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
There are going to be a lot of old people who are initially confused and then angry about the Notre Dame/Peacock thing when that day finally arrives, and I'm pretty sure old people make up like 60-70% of Notre Dame's fan base.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

Mike_V posted:

I guess it'd be too much to ask the Bally Sports app on Roku to remember my login information and not force me to connect the app with Spectrum's login info every time I load it up, huh?

this is me with the TNT app/fire stick, and half the time I don’t even realize until the “free preview”
runs out after 10 minutes.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
NBCSN still shows Premier League, Peacock is only for the secondary games (Burnley-Watford 10am, etc) most of the time.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Thank god for that; the whole Peacock situation isn't ideal but I'll take it over ESPN or CBS (or Fox)

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
I searched around a bit for the NHL ASG on Saturday and couldn’t find it so I gave up

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

DJExile posted:

Chris Vannini of the Athletic on the Apple TV deal for the pac 12, some excerpts:

ESPN lost the Big Ten but gained the SEC so I'm not sure what his point is in that regard?

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
because of the way he dressed I thought MJ meant Michael Jackson, so when I clicked through I expected the black leather shoes with the white stripe

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
He sucks, his wrestler gimmick sucks, his wife beater/sport coat look is abhorrent, and he singlehandedly caused me to watch about 50% less Gameday, a show I've been watching religiously for about 30 years. No better example of the whole "Idiocracy was a documentary" trope than this clown getting $17MM to yell and scream and slam the desk for three hours, when he's not belly flopping into some body of water of course.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Never anticipated MLS becoming such a weird pyramid scheme/senior tour when it started but I guess you do what you gotta do to survive.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

harperdc posted:

Go back into the early years, it was worse in terms of being a retirement home, which peaked with David Beckham joining the LA Galaxy. Seems like more teams focused on younger talent in recent years, but Messi is just the highest-profile version imaginable of a trend that’s been going forever.

Oh yeah I definitely remember Valderrama coming to play for the Mutiny and all that, at the time I just figured it was only initial splash they needed to hook people with big names. I like it in a way though, it's fun watching guys like Chicharito waltz in and dominate when they actually decide to give a poo poo, but it feels like a threat to the rest of the product.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Kellerman and Kenny on ESPN Radio NYC was one of my favorite radio shows of all time and by far the best ESPN Radio show I ever heard. Worst was obviously the Mike Tirico Show, just insanely
boring. They eventually brought Michelle Tafoya on to try and save it but she could only help so much.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Look I’m no fan of Plaschke but he’s def not in the Mariotti/Whitlock class

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
I don’t understand what was sexist about what Kenny said; her best chance to win would have been from the WNBA line. She still did great, not everything needs to be a big controversy. Maybe people prefer commentators who are just cheerleaders and say nothing of substance.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

It was very evident from the fact that she had the same score as the top four in the men’s contest that distance wasn’t the issue. She lost to the best shooter of all time by a relatively small margin. It was dismissive and lmao at the idea that Kenny said anything of substance.

This is also a time where the most famous female basketball player shoots from Steph range regularly. We’re probably not far from the WNBA line moving to NBA distance.

She matched the top four with a smaller ball and she did worse in the later racks, more than likely because she was fatigued shooting from further away. Kenny felt like apples-to-apples would be her shooting from her normal 3-pt line; not the most controversial thing I’ve ever heard. If that’s sexist then the WNBA should use the NBA ball and shoot from the NBA line.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Well the whole thing was her idea so the onus was kind of on her to be in the right shape.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
NFL announcers are not nearly as critical as they should be, especially compared to something like European football. But there are some good ones.

But yes people seem to want cheerleaders, especially NBA fans. ESPN getting rid of JVG was totally random of course, and not at all related to how he was one of two people who’d actually criticize the league (the only other being Barkely, but he’s untouchable). The fact that they have now replaced him with JJ Reddick—one of the biggest fluffers—is also a coincidence.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
I watched a lot of games he did last year and I’d disagree with that characterization, but ymmv

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
the mlb all-star game is still the best one by far, nba and nhl occupy a distant second and nfl is way behind in fourth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

DJExile posted:

Hi there from the AL Central where everyone’s terrified of spending money anyway, except for one who does it but sucks rear end at doing it Chicago. If nothing else, hearing the RSN excuse will at least be a new and fresh one.

lmao the White Sox do not spend money, Benintendi 5/$75 was their richest ever. They also never ever pay for pitching, which is half of the goddamn roster.