Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

Vertical Lime posted:

It seems like every tv program now has some sort of twitter reminder. They're just going with the flow.

As for what constituted a 0.0 for the time in question:

The fact that FS1 doubled it's audience from 11 to midnight is a good enough sign. They weren't going to crush SportsCenter right out of the gate. They're doing fine so far.

If we're still looking at 633,000-44,000 in SportsCenter's favor in 6 months though, then you can start talking failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

DJExile posted:

Yeah, his call on the Ben Watson goal for Wigan's FA Cup was phenomenal but it's like the poor guy is just begging for help. He mispronounces the poo poo out of names and seems like he still has trouble adapting to the pace of a soccer game as opposed to football or basketball (where he's clearly more comfortable).

He's definitely got potential but he really needs some help.

E: Gus's color guy in that clip just kills me every time, giggling at what was probably his first Gusgasm he got to experience live.

Gus will do his damndest to make every game an epic. I like listening to him, on occasion, but it is becoming obvious that he just doesn't translate well to soccer. But, I don't know if Fox will pull the plug when he's got 4 more years to prepare. If Fox was broadcasting the 2014 World Cup, there is no question that they would dump Gus in favor of Martin Tyler though.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

ElwoodCuse posted:

Yeah curling is still going to be live and uncut on like MSNBC or something right?

Most of the curling, and hockey will be spread between CNBC, MSNBC, and USA. Some of the hockey will also wind up on NBC Sports Network.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

Jackie D posted:

Seems like they're hoping people forget about It over the weekend

It's the NY Daily News, true, but there are reports that he's leaving ESPN Radio, at least, and jumping over to Sirius to be the lead-in for Chris Russo. Not sure what it means as far as the TV side of things go, but if those reports are true, and he's leaving the TV side as well, ESPN could try a face-saving "suspension".

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

Badfinger posted:

She's also at least in her mid 30s (maybe close to 40?) and has been covering sports for like 15 years now. I get that she's sort of the flag bearer for "attractive sideline white lady" but at this point is one of the most experience sideline reporters out there.

She's 36, and started with ESPN in 2004, so not exactly 15 years, but the point is still valid. She is one of the most experienced at the job. Still doesn't excuse how Fox has treated Pam Oliver.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

Benne posted:

The whole experiment was doomed from the start. I love Gus, but his specific style just doesn't work for soccer. Combine that with his obvious lack of knowledge about the sport and we had some painful broadcasts.

Fox has a lot on the line in their soccer coverage with the World Cup in 2018, next year's Women's World Cup and the Champions League every year. This is actually a good opportunity for them to start over and find a good voice. Maybe they could hire Martin Tyler, or throw the checkbook at Jon Champion who had some outstanding calls in the last World Cup.

lol it's Fox they'll just throw Joe Buck out there.

Martin Tyler's mentioned in the article, so there's that possibility. Wonder if they'll try and back the proverbial dump truck of money toward Bristol and try to poach Ian Darke.

Really, I'm glad they realized that it's not gonna work this early. You're right, Gus has the wrong style for soccer, he'll still come out pretty drat well, all things considered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

Retail Slave posted:

Never have I wanted to crawl through the TV and give someone a comforting hug like I did with Hannah Storm today. That was absolutely heartbreaking to watch her in the brief time she was on TV between segments.

Whenever reporters have to report on themselves like that it seems to happen. I remember reporters struggling to keep it together when Tom Mees died. I can't imagine having to go on TV and report about the death of a friend like that without falling apart terribly.