Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xmaspast
Aug 18, 2014

Fog Tripper posted:

Feel I need something new. Downloading this.

That said I haven't played D&D since P&P days (unless counting NWN) about 20-30 years ago. No idea about these new fangled simplified rules, but hey it's free (Who am I kidding, I will be tossing cash at it)

Same, I'm in an MMO Exploratory phase, trying a little bit of everything, if nothing else I'll download it, toss a few bucks for the second tier status, and just see how I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whistling Death
Aug 16, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Downloaded and played for a few last night as time permitted. Dunno if I will stick to it. The camera had me quickly getting dizzy.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Whistling Death posted:

Downloaded and played for a few last night as time permitted. Dunno if I will stick to it. The camera had me quickly getting dizzy.

I would not have thought DDO's camera differed from any other 3D MMO. I'm curious what you feel the issue is?

You know mouse-look is optional, right? I can't imagine playing without it, but I know some do.

Whistling Death
Aug 16, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Dunno, maybe camera movement lag. Was definitely making use of mouse look.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Milestone rank snipe!

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Nice! I upgraded the Shrine to the Devourer for some more acid/cold buffs, and the guild storage incase we ever actually store more than a couple items in there :cheeky:

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

How's DDO holding up these days? Any neat details on expansion stuff? I always keep wanting to come back and dig in and then I get lonely, but it's a good game regardless.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Ravenloft is going to be U37 unless their point release with Domains and such balloons into big enough to be a full Update.
"While we don't have an announced date for Ravenloft, we are hoping to get it out later this year.". All we know, as far as I can tell, is that it's 10/30+. You'll be able to start a character right at level 10 to jump into the content there. Barovia wilderness area. The Castle stuff I posted above where the story won't be locked behind a raid only. Sentient weapons.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Been watching a few videos on this game and reading about it, and I think I'm gonna fart around with it some this weekend. Got it downloading now.

I did my best to get these newb questions answered already, but still had a batch of questions that I'd like some goon opinions on, if you'd oblige.

1. The community still good? Most people say the community is welcoming and helpful, common for many older MMOs.

2. I can solo to my heart's content right? And it not be terrible inefficient?

3. Solo'ing aside, as an EQ guy, I do think MMOs should be played with others. Seems there's a way to join public groups and let people join yours. That feature still used? Pretty easy to find groups to run crap with?

4. I've seen some videos where people have like 6+ full hotbars, triggering my EQ2 PTSD. Then some where it looks much more streamlined. Can anyone tell me which classes / builds skew towards a more lean loadout? What to definitely stay away from?

5. Since all the dungeons are instanced, are they also mostly linear? I love to explore and find hidden areas off the beaten path. EQ was great about this - big dungeons with traps and hidden passageways and lots of branches. For you EQ vets - think of stuff like Befallen and Guk and Seb. Does DDO provide anything similar to that?

6. Once you get into it, is it pretty obvious which quest packs you should buy? I'd hate to drop points/cash on a quest pack to find that it's below my level or only good for a couple of hours of gameplay before it's time to move on.

7. VIP downgrade link says if you make a monk or warforged race character during VIP, you'll lose access if you let VIP fall off. Any other classes or races subject to that too?

8. Speaking of classes - anything notable about, if I'm interesting in grouping with folks, classes to lean towards or avoid? Typical "tanks/healers always in demand"? If so, can they solo reasonably well if needed?

9. What classes do people think are just flat out fun, and which are just flat out boring or tedious? (Keeping in mind my aversion to a billion hotbars hehe)

EDIT: 10. Is there any mentoring / auto-scaling or anything, so that people of different levels can play together?

Sorry for the question dump! Work is not holding my attention today.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

2. I think they've made soloing progressively easier between ship buffs, hirelings and general power creep.

4. The last time I played my Artificer, it had an ENORMOUS amount of hotbars. Now, that was my choice. I had a hotbar to drop all my reagents on to track them, I had a hotbar full of individual buffs for each element resist, etc. because you can either A. click the spell for a popup list of them or B. drag each version individually to the bar. It's probably a lot better now? Part of that was my fault moreso than the game's. I do know there were a lot of clickie items with temp buffs in the past, dunno if that has been curbed. Pots too.

5. There are plenty of optional, off the beaten path sort of routes. I don't know about the new content, but there's plenty of older stuff (Tears of Dhakaan comes to mind) where you can do extra things for bonuses.

7. Warlock, maybe something else.

Sorry, can't answer the rest.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

xZAOx posted:

4. I've seen some videos where people have like 6+ full hotbars, triggering my EQ2 PTSD. Then some where it looks much more streamlined. Can anyone tell me which classes / builds skew towards a more lean loadout? What to definitely stay away from?

6. Once you get into it, is it pretty obvious which quest packs you should buy? I'd hate to drop points/cash on a quest pack to find that it's below my level or only good for a couple of hours of gameplay before it's time to move on.

7. VIP downgrade link says if you make a monk or warforged race character during VIP, you'll lose access if you let VIP fall off. Any other classes or races subject to that too?

8. Speaking of classes - anything notable about, if I'm interesting in grouping with folks, classes to lean towards or avoid? Typical "tanks/healers always in demand"? If so, can they solo reasonably well if needed?

9. What classes do people think are just flat out fun, and which are just flat out boring or tedious? (Keeping in mind my aversion to a billion hotbars hehe)

EDIT: 10. Is there any mentoring / auto-scaling or anything, so that people of different levels can play together?

4) Casters are going to be the main killer here. Your hotbars will grow in size as your levels and capabilities do though.

You can see here about 4 bars worth of spells and spell like abilities. A bar with swap equipment and scrolls. A bar with potions (not as important as it used to be). And another bar with metamagics and another with more infrequent swap stuff (vertical bar). Early on you're not going to have a lot of that stuff, but as you go you'll get those spells/abilities and want easy access to them. Gear wise you can get away with a lot fewer swaps than I have, but they're useful.

6) This guide isn't fully up to date, but my skimming it seems to say it's got the right idea. The OP there is still around, so you could also maybe PM them if needed. The expansion pack thing is really good advice though. Especially because you'll need to buy those as VIP anyways. So buying those will extend your time to decide which path you want to go down. Since going half VIP half permanent purchases is kind of not a great idea.

7) Monk, Druid, Warlock, Warforged, Half-Elf, Half-Orc, Gnome, Dragonborn are given for free to VIP and must be purchased if you lose VIP.

8) I'd say a healer is probably always in demand, but most questing doesn't really need any specific group composition. Maybe traps for some specific sections of the game on Elite, but the vast majority of those can just be skipped too. Tanks are only a thing in high end raiding for the most part. If you really like the game you'll probably end up reincarnating into lots of different classes anyways, I wouldn't sweat group viability much.

9) Warlocks are super loving fun, even if they got a bit of a Heroic levels nerf recently. I haven't leveled one since then, but the numbers make it look like they went from Ridiculous to just Great. Again, as show in my shot you do wind up with a lot of abilities, but you could throw your buffs on a bar you page to when needed I guess (except for short term ones like Displacement).

Paladin or Monk might be an okay middle ground with enough abilities to Do Stuff, but not a crazy amount. Fighter/Rogue are going to have a lot less buttons to hit, but with their Enhancement Trees you can grab a few abilities to make things more interesting than just auto attacking and Boosting occasionally.

10) Sadly no. This is one of the hardest parts about getting new people into the game. If someone in the group is 4 or more levels above you, then you take a personal experience penalty on quest completion. Starting at 50%. Only bright side to this is that it doesn't apply at 20+. A level 20 and a level 30 can group for a quest and both get full experience. In fact I don't even think there's a quest level penalty in epic levels. So a level 30 in your level 21 quest won't cause you to get lovely experience either. Though it will stop Bravery Bonus, which isn't a thing you need to worry about on your first life.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

xZAOx posted:

numbers

2. As a new player, soloing ELT will be beyond you. As long as you don't have a mindset that insists on only doing things the hardest way you'll be find on Normal or Hard modes.

3. There's an excellent grouping system, you can post your group to the public and fill it assuming there's players in the range interested. Note, you may have problems getting people to join easy mode, see #2. There's reasons for that.

4. It varies, for spellcasters yes that is normal. Other classes can do with fewer. I actually have 9-12 frickin bars set up, but I have a LOT of magic items and scrolls and potions I keep handy.

5. There's tons of hidden poo poo in dungeons, secret doors you may not see without a spot skill / truesight / etc. There's a VAST amount of content, and some open overworld zones (still instanced) with lots of nooks and crannies to explore.

6. Yes, though honestly VIP is the only sane way to go. Then you don't need to buy any.

8. If you have a single knowledgeable player in the group with a dozen past lives in their belt tanking will not be a thing till Epic levels.
Stuff will simply die too fast. Mostly new players just need to learn how to Not Die. No one will complain about your kill count/contribution if you make sure to tell people you are new.

9. Rogue/Ranger is a crazy good starting combo. 6 levels of each (rogue first), get a repeater and great crossbow and shoot things from long range. You'll have both stealth and skills to keep you alive.
Druid is absolutely solid for a new player, as a nuker though. Cleric/Favored Soul is fine too. A blaster sorcerer is another good starter, though you will have mana issues until you learn how to maximize (pun intended) killing clusters of mobs. For casters it's all about Spell Like Abilities to be mana efficient.

One important thing to note about this game is, missile weapons have practically unlimited range. You can spot a critter, back off and shoot from outside the graphic draw range.
This is why I suggest one for a starting class, it gives you a lot of time to think when you start fights. You can often split apart or wipe out packs of mobs before they ever reach you.

PS when you meet your first beholder, don't feel bad with what happens. In fact post about it.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Thanks for all the responses!

I think for now I'm going to go melee. I'm leaning towards this Ranger build: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/469213-quot-Strimtom-s-Acid-Arrow-quot-Maximum-Bow-DPS-F2P-new-player-Friendly or this Paladin build: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/470842-Vanguard-Paladin-for-new-players .

Of those, leaning Paladin simply because my LOTRO toon is a Hunter (aka Ranger), and I want to mix it up.

Plus I don't have to worry about going VIP right now with either of those choices, and can check out the game for free as the linked Adventure Pack guide recommends.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Been playing for a couple of hours of my new paladin following that Vanguard guide. Had a few round 2 questions if anyone is inclined to oblige :)

1. I have no idea what to loot. Basically I'm just taking longswords, armor I'm going for whatever is heaviest (as in, medium over light) and whatever has the best AC bonus. There's a lot of rewards that I have chose that give random bonus to various skills. Usually there I just guess and try to go with whatever is something I've put points into.

2. I'm on Korthos Island now. So the way these things work, is I can do these (Slayer / Rares / Explorer) over multiple play sessions as I'm doing other quest lines, right? It's not expected that I blow through these immediately, right?

3. Any reason why "/who" doesn't seem to work for me? I was trying to see if someone in the guild was on for an invite (Brumans is my character).

4. Using skills seems...odd? As long as I'm facing it and near it and hit it, it worked, right? Like my stun or sunder armor or trip.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

xZAOx posted:

Been playing for a couple of hours of my new paladin following that Vanguard guide. Had a few round 2 questions if anyone is inclined to oblige :)

1. I have no idea what to loot. Basically I'm just taking longswords, armor I'm going for whatever is heaviest (as in, medium over light) and whatever has the best AC bonus. There's a lot of rewards that I have chose that give random bonus to various skills. Usually there I just guess and try to go with whatever is something I've put points into.

2. I'm on Korthos Island now. So the way these things work, is I can do these (Slayer / Rares / Explorer) over multiple play sessions as I'm doing other quest lines, right? It's not expected that I blow through these immediately, right?

3. Any reason why "/who" doesn't seem to work for me? I was trying to see if someone in the guild was on for an invite (Brumans is my character).

4. Using skills seems...odd? As long as I'm facing it and near it and hit it, it worked, right? Like my stun or sunder armor or trip.

You will quickly outgrow Korthos, it's basically there to show you the mechanics.

Slayers / Rares / Explorers are saved and you can keep going back, but exploration zones do have level ranges, and once you go far outside the range there's a major XP hit.
Don't worry about maxing everything there, it would be too grindy to hit the goals of each exploration zone all the time. If you like a place though, clear it.

There are some exceptions though. Once you get to the fairly low level Three Barrel Cove by the way, FARM the rares. There's multiple extremely nice drops. Weapons with modified dice or crit ranges and nice effects. Some decent armor as well.

DDO is a marathon. You will collect gear that looks nice but is not useful to your current character. Keep named items until you know what you can get rid of. DDO is all about Reincarnating characters to start over again, and take advantage of sweet loot you didn't need on a different class.

By the way, as a paladin in heavy armor, keep an eye out for Physical and Magical Resistance gear and talents. This will give you a flat % off the appropriate damage types. Don't be afraid to sword and board it. Two handers are fun, and have some unique mechanics in DDO vs PnP D&D, but shields give a lot of PRR/MRR and can trivialize fights. You can even build around a shield and stay offensive.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Also keep in mind that crit is often king. Scimitar > Longsword for example. But until you're taking your Improved Critical feat at 12, feel free to play around with all the options (and it's by damage type, so you can use good named scimitar or longsword). And named items or good rare rolls will throw best weapon type out the window when you're new especially. It helps to keep a bludgeon and slash/pierce weapon on you too. You don't really need all 3 in general, but having an anti-skeleton weapon is so loving useful. Maul is a fantastic choice, or warhammer for 1h.

For armor you absolutely want Heavy when you can get it (not Medium or Light) because it gives you more PRR which is a fantastic stat as said above. In general you want the highest AC bonus you can get while keeping your dex stat in mind. Which if you're not dual wielding, you shouldn't have much dex. And while dual wield is ideal for a paladin due to the way it interacts with their abilities like Divine Sacrifice, it's not really worth doing when you're new.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Sep 2, 2017

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Anyone up for some raiding in the next couple days? Ideally I'd like to get the Cannith ones done to get rep for Artificer but I'm also up for the Lolth raid or Heroic Gianthold and TV.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
So how do I join the goon guild? Or should I seek out a different one?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I was being lazy and figured someone else had sent you an invite, sorry. Mailed one to Brumans, just go to a mailbox and use the item there and it'll join you to the guild and you can get fancy airship buffs.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
That sure is a gently caress ton of buffs, lol. Thanks whoever gave me the tip about the setting to condense them.

Been having fun, just hit level 4, getting near to the point where I'll probably drop some money (probably the 2 expacs for $50 thing).

I'm in the town, did all the quests I could there. Went to the marketplace, picking up yellow quests there (many reds now obviously).

Anything I should be doing in particular? Any quests people would recommend for a Paladin (using https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/470842-Vanguard-Paladin-for-new-players )?

Or just in general "You should do these quests, get these clickies / potions / whatever off the auction house"? Like I've ran into some doors I don't have stats for. One time I had an int potion so I could open it anyways, now I figure that's something I should keep on me. Figure there might be more.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Stat items/potions for hitting quest objectives can be helpful, but they're usually just optional things so it's not vital. But if you have the inventory space, feel free to carry some around.

They messed with some of the DCs, but Detect Secret Doors is good. Invisibility can come in super handy (though takes effort to use it and you're in full plate = noisy, so maybe not as good).

This page might come in handy at some point for you.

Good quests around then: The Lost Seekers (aka Waterworks) which you probably did.
The Chamber of Insanity (can be tough though)
The Depths of * in House D (watch out for those ogre triple hits)
Gwylan's Stand in a level or three I've always enjoyed
Tear of Dhakaan the same
The Pit is one you'll either love or hate. It can be confusing and long but once you understand how it works it can be really fast and good experience. Very divisive quest.

This you can sort by level and you can try and see if there's a named bastard sword upgrade for you as you go. Spinal Tap is pretty crazy, but I imagine the drop rate is low as I remember that being a problem with that quest series.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 4, 2017

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I'm a dorf, so I assume I should look for a named dwarven axe instead?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Correct!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
So what do people do at high / max level? Does everyone just keep TR'ing for past life bonuses, or is there a good bit of PUG groups and raids?

Low levels every now and again I check, but not really much happening there.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Both, you pretty much pick your end game. Grind out past lives, or grind out end game gear. These days end game gear is all level 29, so there's barely any reason to care about if you're not gonna stay at 30. Their push for more level balanced loot has worsened the divide between TR and not TR for end game sadly. Used to be you could raid and get gear usable for 4+ levels when you TRed, now it's 1.

I imagine a lot of people TRing are not posting groups either, since they don't want to ruin a newbies fun or have a newbie ruin their fun. It's why I highly recommend finding a friend/goon who plays at your time and just chill and play together. Infinitely more fun.

Supposedly the expansion is going to have a focus on making sure there's fun and interesting stuff to do at the level cap, but we'll see. They've been so tight lipped on any of the actual features coming.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I'm expecting an answer similar to LOTRO, but do I have to buy each expansion separately, or will buying the last one give me all the content up to that one as well. I have no problem dropping 15 bucks a month if I'm having fun.

I'm hoping I can solo my way to max level at least once. I"d be a true newbie so every little trap would surprise me.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Each expansion is separate, though both together cost $50. You buy the Shadowfell Standard Edition ($35) and during checkout you get offered to buy Menace of the Underdark Standard for only $17.49 (instead of $35) for a total of $47.48. That and VIP catches you up on just about everything. Artificer, Favored Soul, and Drow are the only locked things at that point I believe. Which you can either buy or earn in game via the Favor system (sorta kinda rep system). Info stolen from here.

Soloing to cap is no problem at all. Grab a cleric or rogue hireling to help you out, and try and work in some self healing when possible. The chests on the Guild Airship have stacks of healing potions you can snag (post here if they run out, I should be able to refill them in a somewhat timely fashion if others can't/don't). Later on you can Use Magic Devices to Heal scroll depending on your class/stats/build.

Though if you're amenable, xZAOx seems like he could use a leveling buddy if your schedules mesh. It generally makes the game a lot more fun, and he's also new so you guys can get randomly gibbed by traps and beholders together!

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 6, 2017

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Still haven't met a beholder yet. I await anxiously!

And definitely down for a leveling buddy, although new expac on EQ TLP next Wednesday, so won't have much DDO time starting then :)

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I honestly recommend waiting for a sale before getting the expansions if you do. They'll probably slash the price at Christmas again.

They're really good though, especially Shadowfell.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

More info Soon™.

"Cordovan also announced on the stream that Aasimar and Vistani Knife Fighting will be available in U36 Patch 3, which is expected to hit Lamannia next week."

U36.2 came out today, which added Cleric domains and FvS hp/sp specs as well as Charisma OR Wisdom scaling for favored weapon hit/damage and spell DC. The Domains look like a lot of fun. Most of them look like they'd be really solid to use.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Just did Haunted Halls. It was fun, they should really design more dungeons based on old modules.

DemonMage posted:

More info Soon™.

"Cordovan also announced on the stream that Aasimar and Vistani Knife Fighting will be available in U36 Patch 3, which is expected to hit Lamannia next week."

U36.2 came out today, which added Cleric domains and FvS hp/sp specs as well as Charisma OR Wisdom scaling for favored weapon hit/damage and spell DC. The Domains look like a lot of fun. Most of them look like they'd be really solid to use.

Guess adding races is more lucrative now that Racial Reincarnation exists. Gotta keep the treadmill going for Racial Completionist somehow.

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Oct 3, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Holy poo poo, I may have to reinstall this game.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
Is there any kind of breakdown on how this game has changed since <years ago>? I played this at launch and one stint later on, and always liked it for being so different than the MUD-derived EQ/WoW mould. (Ie, secret areas to jump to, etc).

But it sounds like (post f2p?) some things have changed, I don't thiiiink the reincarnation stuff (whatever that is) existed last time I played. I do remember there was some point where there was a second tier (? more points) to allocate to chargen, but I don't recall where that fit in.

Illuminatus
Mar 25, 2008

FNORD
I am playing this again and finally achieved class Completionist! The feat helps some on a Human Artificer but is it really that useful?

Does anyone have a play like pen and paper group going? I'd like to play with a regular group a couple of times a week with characters just for that group. I've suggested this to friends but the response is "why don't we all go back to WoW?." No thanks, I've had enough of WoW for a while.

Illuminatus
Mar 25, 2008

FNORD

Fayk posted:

Is there any kind of breakdown on how this game has changed since <years ago>? I played this at launch and one stint later on, and always liked it for being so different than the MUD-derived EQ/WoW mould. (Ie, secret areas to jump to, etc).

But it sounds like (post f2p?) some things have changed, I don't thiiiink the reincarnation stuff (whatever that is) existed last time I played. I do remember there was some point where there was a second tier (? more points) to allocate to chargen, but I don't recall where that fit in.

You can buy veteran status giving 32 points to build on, also available is start at level 4 or 7 veteran. First true reincarnation is 34 points and the second 36 points. True reincarnation is available at level 20 either for Turbine Points or by grinding something or another for free. Lesser reincarnation lets you rebuild your character and update them to 32 point build if you buy veteran.

Lots of great changes happened over time. I think every class is solo playable even as free to play with just a regular cleric hireling for healing. Canith crafting will get you more exact needed gear but I think its in a paid module. Several guides exist on how to free play and earn turbine points to buy permanent access to modules. I have a subscription and prefer that method.

edit
Looks like Demonmage said much of this a few posts back.

Illuminatus fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 4, 2017

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
This looks real interesting, but it's so hard to get back into this game knowing I'm gunna have to pay a monthly fee and then buy one, soon to be two expansions (I only have the first expansion) to start playing current content, and then end up playing alone since the goon guild is probably completely dead at this point, so I might not end up sticking around anyway.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Fayk posted:

There are skill trees now, each class you take gets three enhancement trees and your race gets one, plus a bonus one that can be bought in the store or earned by gaining enough favor with the Harpers. You get a total of 80 points and there are bonus points from grinding racial reincarnations that can only be added to the race tree.

At level 20 there's a second set of skill trees called Epic Destinies that were introduced with the Menace of the Underdark expansion, they're included with it but can also be bought separately using DDO points. Epic Destinies are more modular than enhancements, they can be taken on any class despite having a clear "main" class that benefits the most from it and as you master multiple classes, you'll unlock Twist of Fate slots that let you use an ability from one Destiny while in another.

For actual content, there's ten years worth of dungeons and raids and there are also challenges, which are timed mini-dungeons that award tokens based on score.

Wolpertinger posted:

This looks real interesting, but it's so hard to get back into this game knowing I'm gunna have to pay a monthly fee and then buy one, soon to be two expansions (I only have the first expansion) to start playing current content, and then end up playing alone since the goon guild is probably completely dead at this point, so I might not end up sticking around anyway.

The second expansion is really more of a side thing and safe to ignore, it will probably get discounted for Christmas again in a couple months anyway.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

So that's a cool piece of expansion art.
On the not cool side, the Halloween event is coming back soon, with upgrades to level 28 and a few new items. However unless things change they're going the stupid rear end WoW (and others) route and making it so any keys (not bought on the store) or ingredients from prior years are no longer usable.

36.3 Preview & Notes.
Iconic Aasamir is the Scourge Ranger variant. +2 wisdom is now the Aasamir stat bonus.
The Knife Fighting tree lets you get centered with Daggers and Throwing Daggers, which is cool. Stack all the Ninja Poison and Knife Bleeds.

Also I have to admit the Reaper's Platemail is cool and I missed that coming in last year. This year we get a red variant as well.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 12, 2017

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Ravenloft Pre-Order is up. Release Date is December 5th. Has 3 adventure packs, which is similar to the last two expansions. The first expansion really spoiled us, Shadowfell also felt underwhelming since "all" it had was multiple patches worth of content. Menace had that + new class + huge new feature in epic destinies + epic levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuminatus
Mar 25, 2008

FNORD

DemonMage posted:

Ravenloft Pre-Order is up. Release Date is December 5th. Has 3 adventure packs, which is similar to the last two expansions. The first expansion really spoiled us, Shadowfell also felt underwhelming since "all" it had was multiple patches worth of content. Menace had that + new class + huge new feature in epic destinies + epic levels.

I am a sucker for these things. Ultimate Fan Bundle purchased.

• Locked thread