Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
If you don't mind going slow, my buddy and I started with a two man ranger set. He went tempest and I went AA. Good wand healing at low to mid levels with enough crossover between roles and autogranted feats that you can swap out who is meleeing and who is ranged. Also healing. We never TRed them because we love the characters so much and we've had them for literally years. Sometimes just farting API d and doing your own thing is much more fun. Especially with the free LR, early mistakes aren't such a huge setback.

edit: Noticed all the typos. gently caress posting on my phone.

RosaParksOfDip fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Richard M Nixon posted:

I don't have much experience with multiclassing so I was considering going artifacer for the ability to do great damage (right?) while still being able to disarm
Sure, definitely a great class and my main/favorite now. Fairly overpowered at low levels (but tapers off at cap, and gets weaker but still very solo/duo friendly, esp if you have someone else taking aggro) but a blast at low levels. It may ruin other classes for you (low level cleric = zzz after arti).

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

RosaParksOfDip posted:

If you don't mind going slow, my buddy and I started with a two man ranger set. He went tempest and I went AA. Good wand healig at low to mid levels with bough crossover between rolls and autogranted feats that you can swap out who is melting and who is ranged. Also healing. We never TRed them because we love the characters so much and we've had them for literally years. Sometimes just farting API d and doing your own thing is much more fun. Especially with the free LR, early mistakes aren't such a huge setback.

I haven't considered ranger too much and I didn't know they could heal at all. I might have to check one out for a few levels to see how it feels. That sounds like a nifty ranged combo.

Noricae posted:

Sure, definitely a great class and my main/favorite now. Fairly overpowered at low levels (but tapers off at cap, and gets weaker but still very solo/duo friendly, esp if you have someone else taking aggro) but a blast at low levels. It may ruin other classes for you (low level cleric = zzz after arti).

Didn't know arti were considered so OP, which I like. You mention having someone else tanking - are artifacers really weak in the aggro holding area? I want to try and keep aggro on me as much as I can, as my partner always squeals uncomfortably when swarmed with enemies. While funny, I like to avoid it as much as possible so we can actually complete dungeons.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Richard M Nixon posted:

Didn't know arti were considered so OP, which I like.
Until about, oh, level 11-12 they are pretty OP, but then they get outpaced by other classes closer to cap. At cap (25+) they are middle, not great, but decent, dps, but very much able to do a lot of things especially if warforged (which is not at all essential, due to destinies and especially scroll healing ability). The aggro thing is more so that you can focus on doing multiple things as an artificer instead of being interrupted by enemies - it works great if someone holds aggro (maybe, likelier than not you will outdps anyway at lower levels) and you fire from a bit back, easily switch to healing if need be, or line up a bunch of enemies for improved precise shot. All stuff that's easier to do if you're not getting interrupted or bothered. Your turret (a timed summon that blasts fire in 360 degrees) will be the aggro holder until the early teens though, and the turret is a big reason low level artificers (esp level 5-9) are so OP, especially in undead content (turret becomes useless later on).

If you are happy taking aggro as an arti, you will get lots of chances to do so, but then have the other person be relatively self sufficient or carry a hireling. My first life as an artificer was spent playing with a (gimpy, 28 pt, undergeared) ranger (we were getting him to 20 to TR), so I was responsible for healing, aggro, traps, and most of the dps. I spent a few quests jumping in circles while skills recharged and scroll healing. (Said ranger could hold aggro at level 25 with Fury of the Wild capped out destiny, even half geared and whatnot, unless I unloaded a lot of things at once).

So anyway, it's a lot of fun, and let me tell you, an artificer + any other class is a lot more fun to duo as an ungeared set of players than... say, a paladin and a ranger was, which was my first set of characters with my bf. Ahaha, why yes, the paladin will take a level of rogue just for traps. That was six years ago :colbert: Don't judge.

The new enhancement revamp is great, by the way, and I think there are a lot of new builds and potential for experimentation out there currently. So yeah, it's a game with good design, great puzzles, run by a semi competently managed company in terms of hardware and updates (sigh).

Noricae fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 12, 2013

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
19.2 is up on Lammania:

• Protection changed to Warpriest
  • The Druid Enhancement Trees, Nature’s Warrior and Season’s Herald, have received an update! A few enhancements have been boosted and a couple new enhancements have been added.
  • Sagas are back, with new ones. 7 Sagas total.
  • ML20 and 24 Eveningstar Challenge Items now cost the same number of ingredients as their ML16 counterparts. (ML20 = 1/2 as much, ML24 = 1/4 as much as before)
  • Mabar Update:
      Mabar has been updated to accommodate levels 26+
      There is now a level 26-30 version of Delera’s Graveyard for the event
      There is now a level 26-30 version of the Spectral Dragon fight
      There is a new ingredient available: Signet of the Endless Night
      You may earn Signets of the Endless Night by defeating the Spectral Dragon
      You may earn one Signet of the Endless Night per day
      You can trade Signets of the Endless Night for items at the Signet Trader in House Jorasco (right outside the entrance to Delera’s Graveyard):
        One +6 tome per character
        One +5 tome per character
        Cosmetic Hat: Jack-O-Lantern
        Cosmetic Hat: Mabarian Head-Spider
        Ruby of Ghostbane Augment
        Ruby of the Vampire Slayer Augment
        Ruby of the Endless Night Augment
        Enchant Weapon: Festival Solar
      Delera’s Graveyard has also received an update:
      The Giant Skeletons from last year have been removed
      New monsters have been added for level 21-30 players

So... yeah. 19.2 notes are cool I guess but Mabar. Ugh. I really really hate that event and they're yet again putting really good rewards in it.

[Edit] Also I'd put Artis at 25 as really strong, not just middle ground. Energy burst Acid with the 120 acid runearm is lots of damage, and Needle + endless fusilade is tons of damage. I guess maybe with the enhancement revamp they might be a little weaker, but still they're a fantastic class 1-15,20-28. It's just getting through that final 15-20 hump that kinda blows. Same problem with a lot of classes really. The enemies are a lot stronger relative to you, the new gear is usually lovely compared to what comes before or after, and you don't have destinies yet.

Noricae posted:

So anyway, it's a lot of fun, and let me tell you, an artificer + any other class is a lot more fun to duo as an ungeared set of players than... say, a paladin and a ranger was, which was my first set of characters with my bf. Ahaha, why yes, the paladin will take a level of rogue just for traps. That was six years ago :colbert: Don't judge.

Pfft. Six years ago that was the total hotness, at least with two levels of rogue. Back then you could evade in full plate, paladin rogue was all the rage! Everyone was so pissed when they nerfed batman builds even though it was clearly not intended and was stated as not intended in the tooltip and by the devs.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 13, 2013

Woden
May 6, 2006
+6 tomes from doing stupid Mabar? :stare:

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah that was the big one that stood out to me. I have no idea how many signets it's going to take, I guess I should log on and check. The augments/enchant sound pretty cool too, except I'm sure they'll be expensive and it's kinda expensive to swap them around for say leveling during a TR.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Not sure what the Augs will do, but I'm pretty much set on slotting devotion in weapons at cap for cocoon. Guess my pally has the eGH gloves so can slot something else now but my rogue is kind of set on that path.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

DemonMage posted:

[*]ML20 and 24 Eveningstar Challenge Items now cost the same number of ingredients as their ML16 counterparts. (ML20 = 1/2 as much, ML24 = 1/4 as much as before)
Oh look, the reason I was not farming for these items all fixed!

Also, oh poo poo, I'd better get my 25s to cap now. I wonder what the drop rate is for those +6s. Or hell +5s. "Signet trader" is making me think random % chance to get them, because I'm optimistic like that. Also gently caress dailies :(

DemonMage posted:

Pfft. Six years ago that was the total hotness, at least with two levels of rogue. Back then you could evade in full plate, paladin rogue was all the rage! Everyone was so pissed when they nerfed batman builds even though it was clearly not intended and was stated as not intended in the tooltip and by the devs.
Right! That's what I tell people still, but no one believes me. My poor level 8 Pal/Rog/Ftr just stands around the marketplace looking goofy nowadays.

Noricae fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 13, 2013

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

+6 tomes = 4 signet, +5 = 3, jack-o-lantern = 1, head-spider = 2, ghostbane = 1, vamp/endless = 2

Vamp = 1d4 light damage and silver
Endless Night = negative level drain on vorpal

And they don't drop. You have to kill the spectral dragon once a day for 4 days to get 4 signets and turn it in. [Edit] Drop rate probably isn't 100% though, since it says MAY drop from it.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 13, 2013

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Nothing in this world can take the place of a power rack
Can low-level PCs tag along in the spectral dragon thing? Otherwise I doubt I'll find level 9-10 groups to run that with.

First lives! :argh:

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

DemonMage posted:

And they don't drop. You have to kill the spectral dragon once a day for 4 days to get 4 signets and turn it in.
Oh nice, set trade in points. That's... not bad. What the hell am I going to do with +6s without +5s. Maybe they will be BtA? And it's unfortunate that the runes also share the same signet tradein.

Is it one signet per account or character? (I assume you don't know or you would have said, so I'm just rambling and clearing my schedule for... *checks Mabar dates*)

edit: From the forums: "Don't use this stupid mechanic of Neverwinter of "Daily Quests" This! So irritating.

And.. have they announced a set date when it'll be back? I can't find any info on Lammania so far.

Noricae fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 13, 2013

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Noricae posted:

Oh nice, set trade in points. That's... not bad. What the hell am I going to do with +6s without +5s. Maybe they will be BtA? And it's unfortunate that the runes also share the same signet tradein.

Is it one signet per account or character? (I assume you don't know or you would have said, so I'm just rambling and clearing my schedule for... *checks Mabar dates*)

I'd guess it's per character. And they're +6 tomes, not upgrade tomes according to the trade in guy. So it doesn't matter even if you've never used a tome on that character you can still use +6s. They also did seem to BTA but I didn't really look too hard. They're BTC.

quote:

edit: From the forums: "Don't use this stupid mechanic of Neverwinter of "Daily Quests" This! So irritating.

And.. have they announced a set date when it'll be back? I can't find any info on Lammania so far.

I don't see how it's a Neverwinter daily quest thing, it seems like the industry standard daily quest thing. Which is good, it's much better than requiring all day grinding (assuming the Signet rate is reasonable) just to control the influx. Mabar has too much super dull grinding as is. The event badly needs a revamp. And to be permanent. gently caress timered events with actual useful loot.

And it'll probably be active for about a week around October 31st if past events are any indication.

[Edit] Actually the signet trader thing says you get a signet the first time you defeat the dragon each day. So it is 100% rate.

Festival Solar is 1 signet, non-crafted, non-named weapon, 1d4 light damage. Doesn't stack with festival frost.

Also the +5 and +6 tomes can only be claimed once per character.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 13, 2013

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Being a melee-focused Palemaster sounds like a lot of fun to me. Are there any good builds for that?

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Oh, not sure why I read that as an upgrade tome. Upgrade tome is what they should do, since that would be the sneakiest way to sell store tomes, honestly. That sounds interesting, but daily is going to get annoying fast. The runes look interesting too.

Noricae fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 13, 2013

Woden
May 6, 2006
Mabar better go for a month, or those Signets better be BTA. I needs me some sexy tomes. And yeah, once and done for the day is way better than grinding stupid stuff in Delaras for days straight.

If the neg level thing stacks with Dreampiercer... giddyup.

Edit: only claim one +6 or +5 per character? Ouch, guess con would make the most sense for easy epic toughness but wow is it hard to choose. :/

Woden fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 13, 2013

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

You can claim one +6 AND one +5 per character.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Now, all they need to do is make a level 28 version of the Robe of Shadows and I will be living in that graveyard for the duration of the event.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah I figured there would be new level 28 loot, but it's still just up to level 24. Which is good in the sense of not having to grind for it, but bad in terms of making it more popular.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

I never did get my level 24 robe anyway, so I still have to do that.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Don't see too many people pushing to get to level 28 so no real need to upgrade the gear just yet, I think making epic levels commoner levels is causing people to drag their feet. Well that and the mediocre loot.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

On Epic TRing:

quote:

I am looking forward to providing everyone with the design details of proposed changes to the Reincarnation system in the coming weeks. Before we start rolling out the fact sheets and dev discussions, I intend to get in front of some of the greater concerns that players (and developers) have raised regarding our prior proposal for Epic Reincarnation.

To get to the point: We have really changed direction from what was previously proposed; and I for one am very pleased that the systems team has taken that direction from 'power from pain' to something more palatable, like 'rewarded for efforts.'
  • Epic reincarnation will require level cap and "points" (TBD) in a "Destiny Sphere" (TBD). This will allow a character to reincarnate from Epic cap to level 20, with equivalent heroic XP.
  • Doing so will not alter your earned Epic Destinies or Epic Destiny XP, and you can alternatively take a second step and reincarnate your Heroic levels to 1 and benefit from both a Heroic and Epic Past Life [PL] feat.
  • As you level Epic Destinies you will gain points toward Epic Reincarnation in the active Destiny Sphere (e.g. Arcane, Divine, Martial, Primal). Furthermore, there is plan to grant retroactive progress for those of you working on your Epic Destinies today.

Again, this is a departure from the previously shared proposal. The goals we set out to accomplish are still being met with these more generous alterations to the Epic Reincarnation design and I hope to share lots of detail changes in the next week (Soon TM).

~E

quote:

Our current plan for Epic Past Life feats is to tie a few of these feats to each Sphere, instead of tying each Past Life to a specific Epic Destiny.

When you Epic Reincarnate you choose which sphere you want a past life from. For instance, if you want a Primal Past Life, you spend points earned while you had any primal Epic Destiny active, and you choose one feat to gain from the list of possible Primal Epic Past Life feats.

The details regarding these Epic Past Lives are still being designed. Early thoughts are that these are likely to stack three times, like Heroic Past Lives.

If you have amazing ideas for possible Epic Past Lives, now is a good time to try to squeak those ideas into our ears!

re: Iconic + Epic Past life feat

quote:

Not at the same time. (which is an answer that surely leads to more questions)
We will have more on that when we go over the entire Reincarnation system... soon.
Iconics will be able to gain the Epic PL, unlike the previous proposal.

quote:

To clarify our thinking on earning points in a Sphere: You continue to earn points in the sphere of your active Epic Destiny even if your Epic Destiny is capped on XP. There is a cap on the points you can earn in a Sphere, and you spend these points when performing Epic Reincarnation. Sphere points act like currency, even though they are normally earned alongside experience.

(Eventually we're going to come up with a real name besides "points in a Sphere".)

quote:

Will there be a passive and active component to the feats like Heroic?
We are leaning towards not doing this in the same way as Heroic Past Lives. We'd rather spend time making the granted Past Lives better. However, we are considering having activated, granted Past Lives, so activated abilities are still a possibility.

quote:

For completionist do Iconics need to be completed as well?
Iconic Heroes are essentially a separate system with their own design.

It is unlikely that Epic Completionist would involve Iconic Past Lives.
Iconic Heroes can perform Epic Reincarnations like any other character.
We don't currently intend for the existing Heroic Completionist to be affected by Epic or Iconic Past Lives.

We'll discuss more Iconic Hero details later on.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 13, 2013

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Well, they have succeeded in confusing me even more with that post. Guess I should actually spend some time post-20.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

The most important part of all that stuff is:

quote:

To get to the point: We have really changed direction from what was previously proposed; and I for one am very pleased that the systems team has taken that direction from 'power from pain' to something more palatable, like 'rewarded for efforts.'

The rest is just implementation details that are subject to change rapidly and easily and while important are not as important as the core philosophy. I just wanted to have today's info in one post for people instead of having to dig through the dev tracker (and some people can't see it at work and such).

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I assume everything stays and heroic TR is separate now, but the wording for the second point was way confusing. Also now will people on the forums stop complaining that they don't get listened to? No? Ok, I thought not.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Heroic TR stays exactly like it is, except hopefully those experience curve (reduction hopefully too) changes they talked about.
Epic TRing gives you the option of either doing an epic TR or a heroic+epic together. So you'll start at level 20 or 1 depending on if you want to get both epic and normal past lives or not. For someone who already has full completionist (or even just regular) it lets them skip the heroic side of things since it doesn't reward them.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
The biggest design change (that no one asked for) was Epic XP staying permanently? Which is.. incredible.

edit: Also, so I haven't touched any of the new content (haven't bought it yet) - is there a new hub city for any Shadowfell content? Or are people just not running it so much that the brokers are nearly empty in Eveningstar?

Noricae fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 14, 2013

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Epic experience doesn't stay, you either drop down to 20 (losing all epic experience) or drop down to 1 (losing all epic and heroic experience).
The big changes were:
  • Destiny experience doesn't go away (which basically every player and most of the devs asked for that change) when you TR of any kind.
  • You can just epic TR and start at level 20 instead of level 1 for both kinds of TRs.

Important things to note:
  • Starting at 1 gets you both a heroic and epic past life feat
  • You don't have to max a specific destiny, you just need to earn experience inside of a sphere to be able to get one of the spheres past life feats
  • Iconics are a separate system to some degree
  • Iconic past lives won't effect Heroic Completionist and likely won't effect Epic Completionist.
  • Epic past life feats will likely be auto-granted passives, or maybe auto-granted actives instead of auto-granted passive + access to a selected active.

Noricae posted:

edit: Also, so I haven't touched any of the new content (haven't bought it yet) - is there a new hub city for any Shadowfell content? Or are people just not running it so much that the brokers are nearly empty in Eveningstar?

There's no new hub. The entrance to Stormhorn is near where the Ruined Keep challenges are. Wheloon City is off the Wheloon Docks which are off Eveningstar. I don't think there is a broker at the docks. I figure the brokers are dead since there's not a compelling reason to buy/sell at them anymore. Deconstruction gets you plenty of plat and a useful resource. A broker just gets you a little bit more plat.

Woden
May 6, 2006
There's two 5 quest chains, one is in Eveningstar and the other is in Wheloon. Wheloon is tiny little hub and I don't remember if it has an AH, it's just north of Eveningstar.

People aren't really running it that often, was kind of popular for a week or so but then the +loot weekend finished and we found out that +4 tomes aren't dropping in ML 27 chests anymore. So no real point in doing them other than fun.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

DemonMage posted:

[*]You don't have to max a specific destiny, you just need to earn experience inside of a sphere to be able to get one of the spheres past life feats
Aha, so only level 28 matters. Interesting.

Yeah, Eveningstar is dead - more dead than it was before the update, on Sarlona. I thought there wasn't a hub but... maybe everyone is TRing bigtime.

Woden posted:

we found out that +4 tomes aren't dropping in ML 27 chests anymore. So no real point in doing them other than fun.
Boo! Ok, thanks. I think I'll wait for a sale on the expansion then.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Nothing in this world can take the place of a power rack
Hello goons. I'd like some advice on how to play a wizard. This is a first life character and I have zero experience with content higher level than Delera's so I'll be feeling my way through instances and don't have plat or equipment saved up.

I have leveled my guy to 10 and am still swinging a +1 screaming/bleeding greatsword and get the impression I should have transitioned to spell-slinging awhile ago. I keep hearing that the pale master tree is the way to go but the spell-like abilities of archmage seem appealing. Could anyone share what they would be doing with their wizard at this level, combat, enhancements and equipment-wise? If I should be crafting some equipment, would anyone be willing to help me out if they have an abundance of resources? Thanks!

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Brownview posted:

Hello goons. I'd like some advice on how to play a wizard. This is a first life character and I have zero experience with content higher level than Delera's so I'll be feeling my way through instances and don't have plat or equipment saved up.

I have leveled my guy to 10 and am still swinging a +1 screaming/bleeding greatsword and get the impression I should have transitioned to spell-slinging awhile ago. I keep hearing that the pale master tree is the way to go but the spell-like abilities of archmage seem appealing. Could anyone share what they would be doing with their wizard at this level, combat, enhancements and equipment-wise? If I should be crafting some equipment, would anyone be willing to help me out if they have an abundance of resources? Thanks!

It's simpler than you think it is. Slot in Firewall or Ice Storm, round up a bunch of enemies at once, and cast it. Watch them all die horribly. Firewall is probably the more effective of the two at that level. Make sure you have an item that boosts the spellpower of the element of the spell you're going to use, as well.

Game_Whino
Jul 16, 2007

Let's drink until we can't feel anymore!

Brownview posted:

I have leveled my guy to 10 and am still swinging a +1 screaming/bleeding greatsword and get the impression I should have transitioned to spell-slinging awhile ago. I keep hearing that the pale master tree is the way to go but the spell-like abilities of archmage seem appealing. Could anyone share what they would be doing with their wizard at this level, combat, enhancements and equipment-wise?

Grab a couple of undead forms under the pale master tree. Grab Evocation or Conjuration from the Archmage tree (You can respec later, conjuration may be better at lower levels since it gives you web). For equipment you'll want a nullification item, a glaciation item, a combustion item, and a conjuration/evocation focus. Pretty much every quest will be you going into undead form, casting death aura, rounding up a bunch of mobs and jumping around in a firewall while they die. That's the great thing about the new enhancements system. You no longer choose between pale master and archmage, you take both!

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Novasol posted:

It's simpler than you think it is. Slot in Firewall or Ice Storm, round up a bunch of enemies at once, and cast it. Watch them all die horribly.
... while hopping around inside the firewall or ice storm (so jump yourself since it's handy). For harder things (bosses) slap on all your decent damage over time spells: niac's, black dragon bolt, eladar's, and optionally acid rain if things are melee (and refresh until dead). There are a lot of spells that aren't so great, but the above list is a list of good damage to spell point cost spells.

Noricae fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 17, 2013

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Useful Arcane Spells

Level One
Nightshield: Up to +3 resist and magic missile immunity, can potentially save you an item slot when you can't find a place for resistance.
Protection from Evil: Stop Command from effecting you/friends.
Shield: Some more AC isn't bad early on and it gives you the all important magic missile immunity.
Detect Secret Doors: Should be DC35 detection at caster level 20, which is more than true seeing. Probably worth finding a slot for at the high end.
Hypnotism: Good for the will save debuff to use in combo crowd control later on, difficult to use in low level groups otherwise.
Acid Spray/Burning Hands: They're the same spell. Your main damage spell until Acid Blast/Fireball.
Magic Missile: Lackluster until you get Shiradi, fantastic then.
Expeditious Retreat: Anger Boots early on will do just fine, later on you can either use this or perma haste.
Jump: Fantastic spell, being mobile is super important and there are a number of shortcuts in quests that you'll need jump to get to.
Charm Person: Making your enemies not only stop hurting you but kill each other sounds great. But it can also be annoying having to use your dispel charm feat and then kill a guy you could have just AEd to death since it's required for a quest objective. Charm/Suggestion are not bad spells, they're just difficult to use well. Charmed mobs will follow you around and get periodic saves. Suggested mobs don't follow you around and only get the initial save.

Level Two
Resist Energy: With our guild ship this is largely not needed, but it's still worth keeping up. Deaths happen.
Glitterdust: Long cast (last I checked), but a really solid early soft CC spell that also enables sneak attacks.
Melf's Acid Arrow: It's decent boss damage at this level range, but it's on the low end of useful.
Web: Good hard CC spell, but suffers due to fire destroying it.
Gust of Wind: Infrequently useful, but it's ability to dispel persistent AE effects (Dancing Ball, Blade Barrier, etc) can be valuable. Also works on friendly spells so great for trolling.
Scorching Ray: Solid single target damage, and can be somewhat useful for Shiradi due to multi-hitting.
Blur: Solid long duration defensive spell, later on you can just perma displace yourself but this is targetable.
Invisibility: There are numerous quests where you can abuse this spell to make it quicker/easier, especially with the U19 changes. Takes some learning, but fantastic.
Knock: This will work on a hell of a lot of locks and is super useful. Even scrolls will work on some good ones pre-20.

Level Three
Magic Circle Against Evil: Protection from Evil for everybody. Harder to find a slot for, but useful.
Protection from Energy: Great for running through traps, otherwise not useful.
Acid Blast/Fireball: Your main instant AE damage spells for a long time.
Sleet Storm: Great spell if you've got Freedom of Movement, so leave it to Druids generally.
Heroism: This is a solid buff and if you're doing a lot of group play it may be worth finding a spot for but potions are cheap.
Rage: -2 AC is a minor debuff and an extra [your level] in max HP is handy.
Chain Missiles: Lackluster until Shiradi, fantastic then.
Frost Lance: Can hit pretty hard, fort save makes it more difficult to use however.
Lightning Bolt: Takes some doing to get the most value out of it, but the double hit mechanic can make this a very hard hitting spell.
Displacement: Ridiculously powerful buff. 50% miss chance that is rarely bypassed.
Halt Undead: Great early game hard CC (such as Deleras), loses some of it's power later on where even mindless undead are generally not considered such.
Haste: Great group buff, useful but not particularly impressive self buff.
Suggestion: See Charm Person.

Level Four
Lesser Globe of Invulnerability: This will stop Mindflayers from Mind Blasting people. Extremely niche, but worth a mention.
Stoneskin: This can help stretch your lifebar, but it's much more useful to a (non-Warforged) Sorcerer than a Wizard, generally better to heal than to prevent damage with this (passive DR is great though).
Acid Rain: Fantastic short duration AE. Lots of damage per tic, but less damage over the whole duration than Firewall/Ice Storm. Middle ground between using a Fireball and Firewall.
Dimension Door: There are a few places you can really abuse this spell and the scrolls are rare, so it's pretty useful in those cases. It's a lovely escape spell these days since it goes away shortly after the caster goes through.
Charm Monster: See Charm Person.
Fire Shield: Great for running through traps or some raid bosses. Difficult to find a spell slot for, but can be extremely valuable.
Ice Storm: Your mainstay persistent AE damage spell.
Wall of Fire: The other persistent AE. This one is your best bet by far on undead, especially mummies.
Phantasmal Killer: The double save makes this kind of annoying to use, but it gives you access to an instant kill spell pretty early.
Death Aura: You want this up permanently if you're a wizard. Fantastic and basically passive healing with a wizard.
Enervation: Useful on certain targets to soften them up for CC/insta kills but rarely worth it. Useful in Epic Hard/Elite to soften up green named guys that can't be insta killed, this will do massive amounts of damage if you cast it early and often.
Negative Energy Burst: Main emergency heal for wizards. Not useful otherwise.

Level Five
Protection from Elements: See Protection from Energy.
Cloudkill: 20% Concealment that even works on red/purple named, useful for that if nothing else.
Teleport: Fantastic quick travel spell. Best used with scrolls until you run out of useful spells to take at level 5.
Dominate Person: See Charm Person.
Hold Monster: Nice hard CC but only effecting a single target makes it not super awesome.
Ball Lightning/Cone of Cold: Solid instant AE spells with higher damage caps than Acid/Fireball.
Eladar's Electric Surge/Niac's Biting Cold: Your main boss damage spells. Stacking one of these up 3 times will do a sizable amount of DPS, let alone both.
Prismatic Ray: A fun spell to play with unmeta'd. Also has a niche case or two where it's useful (House C it can be used to banish these high hp barrier battery things).

Level Six
True Seeing: Can be useful to keep scrolls around but I prefer to put the responsibility for this on the individual not casters.
Greater Heroism: As above, but is also a useful self buff so I can see keeping this around. Planar Girds are also expensive and somewhat annoying to farm.
Suggestion, Mass: See Charm Person.
Otiluke's Freezing Sphere: A solid last game instant AE damage spell with a high cap.
Chain Lightning: A completely inferior version of the above.
Circle of Death: Your first AE death spell. It's not perfect but it's useful and you'll use it a lot as a wizard.
Necrotic Ray: Fantastic damage spell un meta'd and the free level drains don't hurt. Useful to keep both unmeta'd and meta'd versions on your bars, use the latter on bosses.
Undeath to Death: As Circle of Death but for undead. More limited but only one save (and Will at that) makes it useful in any undead quest.
Disintegrate: Untyped damage makes this extremely useful in certain situations. The fort save taking it down to pathetic damage is what makes it solid not fantastic.
Flesh to Stone: In the rare quests where you want to CC things without killing them, this is useful. Otherwise not worth it.

Level Seven
Protection From Elements, Mass: See Protection from Energy but noting that in this form it's easier to use as a defensive buff for high damage boss spells/effects in raids.
Greater Teleport: Lets you travel to some annoying old raid locations. Doesn't work in public instances. Extremely niche, grab some scrolls.
Otto's Sphere of Dancing: Solid hard CC, longer cast time is annoying.
Delayed Blast Fireball: Solid instant AE, though I rarely found a use for it over Freezing Sphere.
Prismatic Spray: Another fun unmeta'd prismatic spell.
Finger of Death: Your first real instant death spell. Fantastic.

Level Eight
Black Dragon Bolt: Solid short duration DOT spell. Good for bosses that will last a bit, but not long enough to really employ triple stacked Niacs/Eledars.
Trap The Soul: Useful for crafting.
Charm Monster, Mass: See Charm Person.
Otto's Irresistible Dance: Good single target hard CC. Single target makes it less useful again.
Polar Ray: Great single target damage spell with no save.
Sunburst: Great for Temple of Vol.
Horrid Wilting: Decent AE untyped damage spell. Even better on plant monsters (Druid chain).

Level Nine
Mordenkainen's Disjunction: Maybe useful on Spell Wards. Otherwise useless.
Power Word: Kill: Get hosed green named guy. Less useful due to EH/EE green named being immune to instant death.
Dominate Monster: See Charm Person.
Hold Monster, Mass: Solid AE hard CC spell. Helplessness makes them take extra damage.
Meteor Swarm: Great damage spell and since its multi-hit is even better with Shiradi.
Energy Drain: Like Enervate but faster.
Wail of the Banshee: Not quite as glorious as it used to be, but an AE Death spell is never a bad thing to have.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
What is a good use for Protection from Evil (Magic Circle) especially? I carry scrolls of it on my arcane/artificer but I almost never cast it and I'm starting to wonder whether I should prune it. I also forgot that about globe of invulnerability and mindflayers - thanks!

Scorching ray is one of my two skills I cycle and spam often, but I wasn't sure how much this was the standard (and it gets annoying on fire resistant/immune bosses). (The other is arcane bolt :D). So.... if I'm still an Archmage, I'm missing out? Self healing is no issue, so I skipped opening the full line of Pale Master forms, especially since I'm not pure wiz.

Noricae fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 17, 2013

Woden
May 6, 2006

Noricae posted:

What is a good use for Protection from Evil (Magic Circle) especially?
It stops you from getting dominated/commanded, command can be bad when the mob spams it and is fairly common in GH and other areas so good to have.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Before Shiradi I usually did Necrotic Ray (no meta usually) > Blast > Bolt for sustained DPS while stacking DOTs.
Post Shiradi it's Necrotic Ray > Magic Missile > Chain Missile, stacking DOTs and using Wild Shots when it's up. With the new enhancement system you can easily grab Magic Missile and Chain Missile SLAs and cut out Necrotic Ray probably.

I generally stop using Scorching Ray once I get Necrotic Ray if not sooner, level 2 slots are pretty valuable and fire immunity is annoying in the teens due to devils.

All that said, I haven't gotten to play a Wizard yet under the new enhancement system other than super briefly on the test server. But as far as I can tell it's pretty awesome. You get all the good poo poo from Pale Master (and even better than before) and can dip into Archmage for the interesting abilities from it.

[Edit] And yeah the Protection from Evil is what he said, it's not uncommon for cleric mobs to cast it and it's super cheap to prevent it. Also important to know that Protection from Evil items and the guild ship buff for it don't work like the spell/work at all last I heard.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 17, 2013

Game_Whino
Jul 16, 2007

Let's drink until we can't feel anymore!

Noricae posted:

So.... if I'm still an Archmage, I'm missing out? Self healing is no issue, so I skipped opening the full line of Pale Master forms, especially since I'm not pure wiz.

If you didn't take anything in the pale master tree you're missing out on 2 int (1 dc), free DR/slashing, extra hit points, and whatever else is there that you might find interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

DemonMage posted:

[Edit] And yeah the Protection from Evil is what he said, it's not uncommon for cleric mobs to cast it and it's super cheap to prevent it. Also important to know that Protection from Evil items and the guild ship buff for it don't work like the spell/work at all last I heard.
That's what I forgot! That the items are bugged (?) and it's not the same as the spell.

Game_Whino posted:

If you didn't take anything in the pale master tree you're missing out on 2 int (1 dc), free DR/slashing, extra hit points, and whatever else is there that you might find interesting.
I did; I grabbed the int, and a handful of other things, but I didn't unlock past Wraith in the base abilities (just 20 AP spent) because I don't have any necro feats and poor spell pen on my wizard until he TRs. I'll give it a shot and see how it works (never played a PM) and whether it's worthwhile on a warforged/2rogue at all. Is necrotic blast any good (or do sufficient monsters have low fort saves, compared to reflex) or just like the arcane ones, only bolt is worth it?

• Locked thread