Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
That's some rough pricing on the bundles. This went from top tier bundle instant purchase to "should I bother"? 100 bucks for the top or much more stuff in the bundles would have been fine but this is a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
Am I wrong in remembering that back prior to f2p that warforged were standard rather than premium?

I guess at least I still have more than like 2 character slots, in any case.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
I don't see any real reason to go past the basic bundle this time unless you really want the cosmetics. The vampire hunter outfit is cool but otherwise eh.
Knife Fighter will be 500TP or unlockable with Ravenloft favor.
Scourge Aasimar Ranger Iconic Hero will be purchasable with TP later if you really want it.
The weapon aura is one glamered weapon per character, which is meh.
Bottle of Mist is presumably really handy like the Eveningstar key, they haven't commented if it will be favor unlocked or not yet.
+10 shared bank slots is an extra you can't buy elsewhere, but also it's pretty rare to need 200 shared bank slots (max with all upgrades + this).

Fayk posted:

Am I wrong in remembering that back prior to f2p that warforged were standard rather than premium?

I guess at least I still have more than like 2 character slots, in any case.

Warforged were free for subscribing back then and are free for subscribing now.

Also Night Revels is active now until November 5th.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 19, 2017

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

DemonMage posted:

Warforged were free for subscribing back then and are free for subscribing now.

Also Night Revels is active now until November 5th.

Well, everything was 'free for subscribing' back then. But thanks for clarifying. It's just funny that if I made a warforged back then I'd still have it, I guess. Oh well!

(I never did a lifetime sub or anything for DDO, but I did for LOTRO back in the day)

So I'm thinking of dragging a friend who never played DDO into this, is everythin gpretty viable with the normal stat blocks/point buy stuff, etc without paying into things? I don't mind some F2P monetization, but I prefer when it feels optional/cosmetics/content unlocks.

Also, is there anything along the line of respeccing these days, vs making a new char? <-- This is a pretty lazy question, so apologies in advance.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

You wouldn't be able to play a warforged you made pre-F2P without buying it or subscribing though. Just like if you subbed and made a Druid/Warlock and then dropped sub, you'd not be able to log onto that character without resubbing or buying.

There's nothing you need to buy to make a character viable. 32 point can easily be unlocked via favor, and hearts for true reincarnating can be grinded out. And the majority of basic builds will work just fine with 28 point builds. Dual wield builds are a lot harder to pull off without 32-36 point builds. Maybe less so with all the ways to get dex to attack/damage these days.

Lesser Hearts of Wood +X let you respec your build following the exact same class decisions you made, each + of the heart lets you swap one class level. So a 19/1 build could become a 20 build by using a +1 Lesser Heart. +0 just lets you swap stats/skills/feats around. However they're primarily only available via purchase, you can in theory get them as drops but they're super loving rare. Of course True Reincarnating will let you remake your character as a totally new build, with a bonus, at the cost of having to actually grind out the levels again :cheeky:

Feats can be swapped out via Siberys Dragonshard at Fred in House J, you can get a feat respec shard via 75 Agents of Argo favor as well. Or you can do it via astral shards aka paying. Which is really the big one anyways, unless you want to completely change your build which then it's mostly reasonable to pay or TR.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

http://ddowiki.com/page/Reincarnation

There is a chance your old character might have a +20 Lesser Heart of Wood in their inventory, you can use that to fully respec a character's classes, though if you're close to 20 you might want to consider a True Reincarnation, which completely resets your character to level 1 and gives a small skill bonus based on your previous class or race, depending on what type you choose.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

gently caress I started downloading this again what am I doing please help. The Ravenloft email got me.

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

It's pretty great seeing all these locations and quests after my DM just finished running us through the campaign. I'm still not a fan of these newer quests having so much enemy HP though.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Underdark and Shadowfell are on sale for Christmas. Pay the extra $3.75 for Underdark Standard Edition because that includes Druid, 1000 store points, a better boost to your exp and four extra adventure packs over Base version.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I didn't even realize the expansion launched, poor DDO gets no press nowadays.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Game Version History:
Menace of the Underdark Collector's Edition
Stormreach Standard
Shadowfell Conspiracy CE

With the Above and the purchase of Ravenloft am I up to date expansion wise ?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yup! It's just the three right now!

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Wolpertinger posted:

I didn't even realize the expansion launched, poor DDO gets no press nowadays.

Yeah my hype levels miscarried when the packs and prices were announced. I have heard it's decent if not a bit buggy but my information may be outdated.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Who do i contact in game for invite to guild ?

Edit: I'm lost with what i should do re enhancements on this shiny new Iconic Aasimar Level 15 Ranger I just made ...

mfny fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 25, 2017

Ghosts!
Jan 6, 2004
For a guild invite, just post your character name here and someone should mail you an invite.

This guide is pretty good if you want to make a ranged ranger:
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/469213-quot-Strimtom-s-Acid-Arrow-quot-Maximum-Bow-DPS-F2P-new-player-Friendly

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

Ghosts! posted:

For a guild invite, just post your character name here and someone should mail you an invite.

This guide is pretty good if you want to make a ranged ranger:
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/469213-quot-Strimtom-s-Acid-Arrow-quot-Maximum-Bow-DPS-F2P-new-player-Friendly

Unfortunately the starter gear for the Iconic Aasimar does not include a bow and i have no idea where id get one...

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Character name is: Leashya Kayne

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Was thinking of grabbing a friend and picking this up again casually. What's the health of the game like?

Wyrmthang
Nov 30, 2014

As dry as it gets!
Ahh back to DDO for some fun action with me and a buddy. I swear even after all these years this game delivers a solid experience current MMO's should copy. So much content and for small groups too. Right on, this set of lives (our 4th total, I know I know not that many overall) I am playing a Monk with a splash of Rogue for some traps, and my buddy is going Favored Soul. Those new devotions are hot poo poo right now, and I can't wait to see what they do with the pass on the Artificer class next patch. I think our class combo is going to be him on the Artificer and me playing probably some sort of Mage-type. Sorcerer or Mage or Warlock, haven't quite decided yet though I see the Warlock is a drat beast!

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah Warlocks are pretty amazing. They're also updating Druids next patch as well as Artificers. So that might be a good magey type to combo.

Wyrmthang
Nov 30, 2014

As dry as it gets!
drat those Druid changes look really awesome. I had always wanted to try out the animal form druids, not magey I know but drat they have always looked cool. My buddy played a caster style druid and he blow the crap out of almost everything Epic and Heroic. Have you had the chance to play the melee druid currently? I see lots of buffs and polish in those patch notes, so just curious how it is currently.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Wyrmthang posted:

Ahh back to DDO for some fun action with me and a buddy. I swear even after all these years this game delivers a solid experience current MMO's should copy. So much content and for small groups too.

Yeah. I'd probably still be playing regularly if the dress-up game was a bit better.

Wyrmthang
Nov 30, 2014

As dry as it gets!
Ugh Favored Soul, why did you have to be the only casting class without Spell Like Abilities... Not going Epic on this combo. Wonder when they'll get around to making some changes for the Favored Soul, even with the new devotions it's just not good enough. Can't cast crap during a mission, though you can buff for days on end. Ahh well...

srb
Jul 24, 2007
If you're Silver Flame, like me, you can use Searing Light once every six seconds!

It's physically painful to be caster FvS and not having Exalted Angel active.

Wyrmthang
Nov 30, 2014

As dry as it gets!
Oh man, my friend is the Favored Soul and he went Sovereign Host so... Gonna be slow going till 20 and then we'll reincarnate out of that sucka class. Next round though we are both going to be Warforged, him as an Artificer and myself most likely a Henshin Monk, though that is not 100%. Thinking about a 12 Ftr/6Warlock/2Ranger TWF crazy tank. Big thing going for that build is temp hp not being reduced by Warforged 50% reduction :)

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Warforged Sorcerer is classic, and fun I think. Once you hit lvl 6 spells for Reconstruct and Acid Blast from Acid Savant (my favourite!) you're basically jumping around like a maniac throwing green blobs at everything. Reconstruct combos great with another WF duo buddy, too.

1-20 Favored Soul has a huge spell point pool and can make use of spells like Holy Smite and Greater Command and Blade Barrier to great effect. The Searing Light thing I have is from FvS capstone for Silver Flame.

Turns out the Cleric domain that has it gets it for 4 SP and 4 seconds much earlier, instead of 6 seconds like I do at level 20+. :suicide:

Edit: I'm doing the Ravenloft quests on Heroic and the items are pure insanity for minimum level 10. A ring with +5 necromancy DCs, 112 spell points, and a green slot. Am I just out of the loop since I haven't played in quite a while?

srb fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 13, 2018

BBPattyMeltz
Apr 12, 2018
Just playing a bit myself after a long break and I am loving Ravenloft. Holy crap what an awesome x-pack. Personally love the music, and ambiance with the zones. So quietly menacing. The quests are done quite well and not overly hard so far (10's and 11's done) unlike Elemental Evil and Slavers can be on Elite. Especially if your not decked out. The items though, hoo boy. Those Barovian Weapons are something special. Found two already beyond the one your given for free. Every life will now immediately go to Ravenloft at level 10 to get that weapon and I doubt I will swap it out till 20.

BBPattyMeltz
Apr 12, 2018
Just because I love this drat game so much, just reincarnated with a build I have been dying to try for a long time. Warforged Monk 12/Fighter 4/Wizard 4.

Tanky, high dps from the Handwraps (Shintao focused to avoid the nerfs), and plenty of spell support to make it fix nicely over that lack of armor. Shield/Nightshield, Blue plus a few assorted others. The real nice thing is cracking into the Eldritch Knight tree from Wizard for the extra tankiness, and Kensai from the Fighter tree for the speed buff and tactical DC enhancements. I cannot wait to tank and CC everyone!

Woot for Jade Prison working on some stun immune bosses!!!

Game_Whino
Jul 16, 2007

Let's drink until we can't feel anymore!
Trip report:

Morlock is loving amazing so far. Probably gonna be 14 monk/6 warlock. Focussed on enlightened for rolling temp HP and such, doing respectable melee damage.

Warlock may become my go-to splash class on melees

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Steam is having a sale right now on all D&D titles in their store, which includes DDO expansions at 75% off.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/206480/Dungeon

Edit: Shadowfell Conspiracy and Menace of the Underdark only..apparently Mists of Ravenloft isn't on Steam.

Zaekkor fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jun 2, 2018

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I think those are just the base versions. Better to buy the Collector's Editions on their site when they go on sale at Christmas. I'd recommend the Starter Pack to anyone who doesn't have Catacombs. Catacombs and 250 cash shop points for $1.50 is a good deal.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
I really love this game but always find myself stymied around level 8-9 or so at which point the magic starts to wear off and I either leave for a few months or reroll a new character to go wander around Korthos and the early levels (Market, early Houses) again. Is there any advice for breaking through to the rest of the game?

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Play with a group. Also find a fun build that gets off the ground early. Normally most builds are still pretty boring at 8.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Get Temple of Elemental Evil and Secrets of the Slave Lords, those really help get through the slump. They're a bit better than the older low level stuff.

Game_Whino
Jul 16, 2007

At 9, run Pit, gwlyan's, Tear, and then whatever you need for the 3BC saga. That'll easily get you into 10 and therefore to Ravenloft

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Zaekkor posted:

apparently Mists of Ravenloft isn't on Steam.

It's really weird how abandoned their Steam page is. I never see notifications for the game pop up like I occasionally do for LotRO.

There's a lot of room for growth on their DLC offerings. They could lump the Xoriat Adventure Packs together as one, Shavarath's as another, all the low level APs as another, etc. They could sell a complete Monster Manual. Every premium class as a DLC, same for races and iconics.

I really like this game and enjoy coming back to it for a bit every year or two and I wish they'd put a bit more effort into attracting players.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Game_Whino posted:

At 9, run Pit, gwlyan's, Tear, and then whatever you need for the 3BC saga. That'll easily get you into 10 and therefore to Ravenloft

Does Ravenloft provide content for progression up to whatever the current cap was? I ended up getting stuck on TR'd characters around the 10-12 range because I couldn't find groups and I eventually gave up playing. :shobon:

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Ravenloft is:
  • Two wilderness areas
  • 12 quests
  • Sentient Weapons

The quest levels are:
In the Shadow of the Castle: 4 10/31
The Vampire Hunters: 4 11/31
The Light of the Land 4 12/31s

And then two raids that are just level 32 (Strahd and Baba Lysaga)

I could see that chain easily getting you a couple levels, and it's newer so it's probably more fun (haven't touched Ravenlost yet kind of sadly).

Also the latest patch added 5 14/31 quests (premium pack).

So you should be able to make it through that kind of lovely pre-Attack on Stormreach time without having to rely on Necro too much hopefully. And of course the newer quests have insane loot compared to the old stuff.

Game_Whino
Jul 16, 2007

Tsurupettan posted:

Does Ravenloft provide content for progression up to whatever the current cap was? I ended up getting stuck on TR'd characters around the 10-12 range because I couldn't find groups and I eventually gave up playing. :shobon:

Not really, for leveling purposes I usually just do sort by xp then sort by level in the wiki and run one or two under. but yeah, from 10 till 13 or 14 I usually hit ravenloft. It's awesome for the items if nothing else. If you get through the decent xp quests in your range you might get stuck, but with daily bonuses you'll get through it fairly quickly if you just repeat the best xp quests every day till you ding the next level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Trying this out as F2P right now; I'm pretty interested in the late-game theorycrafting and variety of builds, but I'm at the end of the intro island's quests and the basic gameplay's already starting to lose its luslter. (Made a warpriest Cleric to start and she pretty much blends through everything and can't die, so maybe I made it too easy...). Does it pick up soon, or is there a way to power through the lower levels efficiently, or maybe a different build to try that involves a little more than "stand still and wave sword until everything stops moving"?

(also blargh please tell me the armors eventually look better than literally just a "plate mail" texture on my character model)

• Locked thread