Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

KittyEmpress posted:

So, my friend and I decided to roll an Artificer and Ranger respectively, and while he is having the time of his life I am just not feeling strong with ranger. Only got up to level 3, so I was wondering what class pairs well with an artificer, because I can rel level in a few hours tops.

For one Artificers are super overpowered from 1-10 especially. That said anything pairs well with them really. Wizard/Sorcerer would probably be up there, since they're powerful on their own and give you sorta better AE options. Another Artificer would work just fine too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Yeah, Artificers are really quite strong up until about level 15. Then you hit a brick wall out of nowhere, and it's quite hard to push through. That said, I think any melee would go well with Artificer - one thing I always found was that I did not handle up close and personal stuff very well. All the dodging and jumping made it pretty hard to hit poo poo with my crossbow. Having someone standing by to beat poo poo down for you when you need it makes all the difference.

Also, I really hope your artificer friend is Warforged. If you've got them unlocked, then WF wiz/sorc is pretty awesome too - the repair spells you get let you self heal quite efficiently and effectively.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Yeah he spent the cash to buy Warforged. I haven't spent anything, so I will probably just roll a paladin or something.

Edit: Decided to subscribe for a month. Does the Ninja Spy enhancement work for fists with handwraps? I found a post that suggested it does, and if so I would like to go high Dex with 14-16 str instead of pumping Str constantly (for Perfect TWF eventually)

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 2, 2013

Woden
May 6, 2006
Pretty sure that wraps and ninja spy thing got nerfed in the latest update, dex to-hit and damage as well as things like sting of the ninja now only work with shurikens, short swords and maybe some other ninja type weapons like kamas. Definitely not wraps.

It's making my next build really hard to figure out now too, should I go dex, str or wis based on a ninja? Short swords or wraps? Plan was 10 monk/6 pally/4 fvs using celestias and farming up some FoT gloves for devotion, swap to wraps and use DM to buff str and maybe do stuns but that sounds like an exercise in annoyance. I guess something like 16/15/15/8/8/16 is probably the way to go, with stunning fist not working with short swords I don't see much appeal in going wis based as the only other thing that's not based on monk level is zen archery. Unless I'm missing something every good wis based attack has monk level augmenting the DC, which sucks.

Looted a pair of EE sipritsight goggles too which I was hoping to make use of, +11 wisdom would have been nice but I guess I'm stuck with some dumb deadly goggles of accuracy instead of some cool named item.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I am not a big fan of dex based twf monk, you loose out on any reliable stunning which is too important, and is really hard to pull off with a fresh first life character. I am not sure how attached you are to twf, but most new players find better luck with 2hf instead, so I through together a pretty solid str based monk QS build, QS's are amazing right now and the build is pretty simple/straight forward, there is plenty of room for variation in the build too, if something doesn't suit you.

quote:

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 04.19.01
DDO Character Planner Home Page

Level 20 Lawful Good Human Male
(12 Monk \ 6 Rogue \ 2 Cleric)
Hit Points: 230
Spell Points: 155
BAB: 14\14\19\24
Fortitude: 15
Reflex: 13
Will: 13

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(28 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)

Strength 17 22
Dexterity 11 11
Constitution 14 14
Intelligence 10 10
Wisdom 10 10
Charisma 10 10

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 20)

Balance 4 25
Bluff 4 22
Concentration 2 12
Diplomacy 0 0
Disable Device 4 5
Haggle 0 0
Heal 2 23
Hide 0 0
Intimidate 0 0
Jump 6 9
Listen 0 0
Move Silently 0 0
Open Lock 4 4
Perform n/a n/a
Repair 0 0
Search 4 4
Spellcraft 0 0
Spot 4 4
Swim n/a n/a
Tumble 1 1
Use Magic Device 4 23
Level 1 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Least Dragonmark of Passage
Feat: (Human Bonus) Stunning Blow
Level 2 (Monk)
Feat: (Monk Bonus) Power Attack
Level 3 (Monk)
Feat: (Selected) Cleave
Feat: (Monk Bonus) Two Handed Fighting
Level 4 (Rogue)
Ability Raise: STR
Level 5 (Monk)
Feat: (Monk Path) Path of Inevitable Dominion: Fists of Darkness
Level 6 (Monk)
Feat:(Selected) Great Cleave
Level 7 (Cleric)
Level 8 (Cleric)
Level 9 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Handed Fighting
Level 10 (Monk)
Level 11 (Monk)
Feat: (Monk Bonus) Improved Sunder
Level 12 (Rogue)
[Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Bludgeoning Weapons
Level 13 (Monk)
Level 14 (Monk)
Level 15 (Monk)
Feat: (Selected) Toughness
Level 16 (Monk)
Level 17 (Monk)
Level 18 (Monk)
Level 19 (Rogue)
Level 20 (Rogue)

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I played this 2 years ago, had a lv 20 Wiz, and I'm thinking of coming back. What's the major changes since then, and how much will it cost me to get the relevant packs?

Woden
May 6, 2006
Why 2 cleric if you're only starting with 10 cha? At the very least you should bump it to 13, 1 point in cha = 0.5 str when DM is active so spending 3 points into str while cha is still 1 for 1 seems pointless. If you can swap to Drow instead you'd get a much better stat spread of 16/10/14/10/10/16, I'd probably drop wis to 8 though, skip bluff and max out concentration instead on a build like that personally.

Elswyyr:
They've decided to start doing expansions now and the second one just dropped recently, they're hella expensive but do at least come with some bonuses. Menace of the Underdark was the first and is pretty decent, the key thing from it is the Epic Destinies system. They're basically epic prestiges and are extremely overpowered.

The second expansion Shadowfell Conspiracy was a bit of a dud, 10 quests, no raid and the named items have random mutations on them. It does have the highest level quests in the game ATM though and as part of the sweetener this time they bundled Iconic Heroes. Iconics are new races that you can't tr into yet(will be able to at some point), start at level 15 and are pretty cool. If you're not sure how long you'll stick around and if you don't like TRing you could probably just skip the whole expansion though.

Gianthold went epic and is pretty fun, The Druid's Deep as well as The High Road of Shadows packs were also released in that time frame. Druids Deeps is pretty meh all around, bad xp, expensive and the loot is outdated and as for High Road I skipped it as it's pretty expensive for what you get.

The biggest changes in that time frame have been the addition of Epic Destinies(these are huge for level 20+), cap increase to level 28, enhancement rewrite(lots of winners and losers here, wizards are still very solid though) and the loot.

The loot now is kinda of generic and boring, everything is tiered or on its way to be that way. So get frost weapon that does 1d6 cold dmg at level one, and every 4 levels or so add an extra 1d6. Pretty much everything has or will move to this system, even stuff like keen(weapon crit profile), vorpal, deathblock and the like which don't make much sense were squeezed into it. Items with these new generic suffixes/affixes are also generally better than most named items ATM as with the change came a lot of power creep

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

Woden posted:

The loot now is kinda of generic and boring, everything is tiered or on its way to be that way. So get frost weapon that does 1d6 cold dmg at level one, and every 4 levels or so add an extra 1d6. Pretty much everything has or will move to this system, even stuff like keen(weapon crit profile), vorpal, deathblock and the like which don't make much sense were squeezed into it. Items with these new generic suffixes/affixes are also generally better than most named items ATM as with the change came a lot of power creep
Wow. Yeah I guess I'm not returning anyway, the cool loot was the thing I enjoyed the most :(

Woden
May 6, 2006
There's still some cool loot that's good at end game, and named items are still good at the level you get them. One I really like is Celestia, it's a short sword with bastard sword damage and does light damage instead of slash/pierce/bludgeon. So it breaks every DR unless they have light DR(only a few mobs have this), lightsabres in ddo hell yeah.

Next year the cap will go to 30 and stop there for a while, so things might go back to what they were like when epic first came out. Lots of cool and varied items all of similar power, well that's my hope anyway. So check back again next year I guess. :)

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I joined the right server and the right channel I think, but it always says there is only one other member of the channel. Do people just not play anymore?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

There's not a ton of people playing right now, but there's 4 people on this second. Though I don't think Grorthul joins the channel or bothers to pay attention to it or guild chat. Also note that the channels don't tell you when people join them if you're already in, so you can log on as the only person and then people could show up but not say anything and you wouldn't know. If you really can't find anyone on in the channel to invite you to the guild, just leave your character name(s) and I can send out invites via the mail.

This expansion didn't draw people back like the last one did since there's no real overly shiny feature to it. The enhancement pass is great, but it doesn't compare to actually going to FR (which tons of people wanted, and tons of people hated) or Epic Destinies + Epic Levels. The loot revamp and enhancement revamp make low levels a lot better overall, especially for newer people, but there's not a ton of new end game content. The new level 28 loot is all kind of lovely compared to level 25 named items, and there's no new raids scheduled until 2014. Of course there's always TRing which is always getting better and better since every patch adds new quests to make it easier, and the last update added the new +20% daily quest bonus too. So even if you're bored of grinding out the same 3-10 quests endgame, you can always TR and try out something new with your overpowered gear.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I made a half orc barbarian and since I am not too concerned with maxing out my first character to do raids and will probably just TR it, I will likely just go pure. It is fun to just smash poo poo with power attack.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 4, 2013

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me

DemonMage posted:

There's not a ton of people playing right now, but there's 4 people on this second. Though I don't think Grorthul joins the channel or bothers to pay attention to it or guild chat. Also note that the channels don't tell you when people join them if you're already in, so you can log on as the only person and then people could show up but not say anything and you wouldn't know. If you really can't find anyone on in the channel to invite you to the guild, just leave your character name(s) and I can send out invites via the mail.

Yeah, that's because Grorthul is a RL friend of mine, and he's a cool guy, but he's also not a goon and wanted a guild more for the easy access to ship buffs than anything else. I don't think he's even looked inside the guild chest, and I'm even more certain that he's not aware of the goons channel, even though its in the gmotd. I haven't seen anyone use guild chat, ever, I think, but I do have a separate chat window for it just in case.

Personally, I like what the new expansion bought, but as I just started playing in the month or two beforehand, it's hard for me to judge how much value it did or did not add.

KittyEmpress - that's exactly what I did for my first two lives; played to 20 then TR'ed, because I wanted access to 36 point builds on my third life, and didn't want to gently caress around with characters I knew wouldn't really be viable post-20.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Gammon posted:

KittyEmpress - that's exactly what I did for my first two lives; played to 20 then TR'ed, because I wanted access to 36 point builds on my third life, and didn't want to gently caress around with characters I knew wouldn't really be viable post-20.

Yeah, I want to get some tomes and stuff and then TR into a druid or something. Druids are badass, but all the builds with them use 34/36 stat builds so :v:

Also, the ship buffs are so great. Me and my friend used the two Level 3 cleric hirelings to solo that 'Extreme' kobold defense quest on elite, and not a single person went down. I can't believe how useful they are, though I guess they will taper off once we get to higher levels

Cpl Clegg
May 18, 2008

I have an idea of TRing into a 4 arti/4 kensei/12 rogue mechanic build aimed at maximizing repeater damage. Artificer 4 gives two lvl2 spell slots for insightful strikes and elemental weapons, kensei gives lots of to-hit and to-damage enhancements and mechanic gives Int for damage at level 3. It's mostly an idea of how to get a rogue past life feat without going full rogue but I guess it could be nice with Shiradi, and not bad in heroic levels either.

What do you think ? Any hidden traps about it I didn't notice ?

Mind you, it's just a general idea and I didn't plan it in the chargen yet, I'm not sure if it's going to be viable. Artificer with repeaters is overpowered in low-middle heroic levels but it hits the wall from level 15 so I just don't know if it's worth the try.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Seems worth a shot to me. I think the biggest problem would be the low duration of your buffs getting annoying, but other than that you'd be alright. I'm not totally up on all the new ways to build a character (shockingly), but it sounds solid!

And again everyone hits a wall at level 15ish, HP ramps up to Epic Hard levels of HP on Elite in that level range (especially Inspired Quarter and Dreaming Dark) and your damage barely goes up since getting Greensteel at level 12 (or is less than that if you don't have it, even with higher ML stuff usually). It's not really a terrible idea to drop down to Hard at that point and just do a little more repetition. This is also why those quarterstaff builds like the Dreamspitter, level drain is an effective source of DPS when stuff has a lot of HP relative to your damage.

And no, we don't really use guild chat. This is more a relic of when people were in other guilds or not in a guild for various reasons, and is mostly that way due to a) "always" being that way and b) it's where new people are joining anyways and it's no better or worse than actual guild chat. I just mentioned guild chat since I said hi to him in guild chat and reminded him to join the channel.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Oct 4, 2013

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me

KittyEmpress posted:

Yeah, I want to get some tomes and stuff and then TR into a druid or something. Druids are badass, but all the builds with them use 34/36 stat builds so :v:

Also, the ship buffs are so great. Me and my friend used the two Level 3 cleric hirelings to solo that 'Extreme' kobold defense quest on elite, and not a single person went down. I can't believe how useful they are, though I guess they will taper off once we get to higher levels

The resist buffs are pretty awesome, and useful at all levels, the stat buffs are nice but you can live without them. And monks, like druids, are just one of those classes that needs points in so many abilities it's really hard to do a good one without 34/36 build points and tomes.

Cpl Clegg
May 18, 2008

Time for some planning then. Rogue mechanic has some interesting AoE options as well, so I guess it'll help a bit. I'm still undecided about race though, can't find anything adding to the playstyle.

By the way, did DDO developers ever explain why they made mobs harder in that level range ? All my playthroughs make me burn out for months when I hit level 15 or so, because it suddenly changes from "very fun" to "boring slog" every loving time.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Not sure if the mobs are really out of whack or it's just a combination of other things. GH has giants and stuff so they get lots of HP, Necro 3-4 are filled with undead so no easy crits, similar story in parts of refuge. Mobs are still pretty squishy in some places like Lordsmarch, those quests in the 12 and the Shroud flags.

IQ does feel really out of whack though, same with Kobold/Monastary to some degree, Amrath is kind of ok for what it is but the quests still suck though.

It's also around that level that a Carnifex will no longer one hit kill stuff and mob density ramps back up.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Consider maybe one less level of fighter for one more of rogue, the extra sneak dice is probably worth more than the +1 to hit and damage and the extra feat from fighter, but either way Rogue repeater is much stronger than say pure arti at higher levels, the sneak damage more than makes up for the loss of rune arm damage.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Yeah, runearm damage is a mirage man. It sounds really good, but it's hard to actually get decent numbers out of. As only a level 4 Arti, your spells will only last 4 minutes, which kinda blows, but I guess with Extend spell you could get 8 minutes out of them (though, depending on the spell, casting 2x4 minute spells might be more sp efficient).

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I love my runearm! It's at least a third of my damage at level 25 (force spec'd, with force gear - still not wanting to switch to acid). I didn't *use* it much at all until level 18 because it didn't do much damage at all (until you get high level force, acid or electric imo). Playstyle of arti was so different at level 4, 12 and 25, so as long as you like learning a new way to play at about those points, it's a great class :)

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Not to mention the massive amount of damage you'll do with Energy Burst and Blade Barrier (though the latter is annoying in groups), with Tactical Detonation/Prismatic Strike for CC. And the extra buffs (metal types, deadly weapons, radiant forcefield) I guess you might do more single target DPS possibly as a repeater rogue, but I wouldn't say you're nearly as strong overall.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Experience changes in U20:

"Fooz posted:

We took a hard look at DDO’s epic dungeons – why were some dungeons giving out less XP than we want, and others more? We’ve discovered an unintended constant in the XP formula that prevented longer quest XP from scaling up as much as desired over shorter quest XP. We removed this constant, and scaled up the quest length multiplier. So starting with Update 20, longer epic quests will be worth more XP and shorter quests will be worth less. For comparison, this is more in line with how heroic quests have always scaled their XP between shorter and longer quests.

And on top of that they're changing some quests experience based on metrics/feedback.

Quest experience decreased due to huge spike in XP/minute:
  • Desecrated Temple of Vol
  • Mining for Ancient Secrets
  • Reclaiming Memories
  • The Deadly Package: Agent of the Darguul

Quest experience increased due to low XP/minute:
  • Acute Delirium
  • Bargain of Blood
  • Bastion of Power
  • Blown to Bits
  • Partycrashers
  • Power Play
  • Schemes of the Enemy
  • Spies in the House
  • Storm the Beaches
  • The Black Loch
  • The Lord of Eyes
  • The Lord of Stone
  • The Tide Turns
  • The Weapons Shipment
  • Undermine
  • Wrath of the Flame

Good list of quests to change in the latter especially. Mildly surprised they didn't nerf the poo poo out of Shadow Crypt. Sad to see Mining/Reclaiming in particular in the former list though, they're nice to ransack for the end of a life rather than doing House C and Shavarath and stuff... which to be fair House C is on the buff list which is cool. Nothing for Shavarath's main quests though besides Bastion, which is a shame. Of course this can all change once it hits Lammania, so be on the lookout there soon and offer feedback if you want to see your favorite lovely rewarding quest buffed (so glad Partycrashers is on there, need Small Problem too).

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Oh thank god, Shadow Crypt is still intact. Vol is kind of a bummer, but the others I never really ran or would happily trade for more options at 18+ or a reason to run Partycrashers. 'Unintended constant' is hilarious (it only took us five years to find it! - turbine).

Woden
May 6, 2006
Shame about those IQ quests, the only reason I ever bothered doing IQ2 was so I could farm those. Having to do Titan to unlock crappy XP quests means I'll probably just skip it now and go do Stormhorns or something.

Doesn't small problem give decent xp on heroic, like 15k+? I remember getting a good bump out of it, and if you split up it's pretty fast. Glad to see Wrath and Weap shipment on there, two walk ups I almost never do. The House C stuff better get a massive boost because they're absolutely terrible ATM and I hate them way more than Amrath, probably the most boring chain in the game.

When's update 20 BTW? Usually they're on a schedule right to get stuff out every X months, so will we see it before xmas? Guessing it'll be a small pack without many new features so no need for extended time on Lama.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Those sound like some positive changes, the number of quests negatively affected is very few, and the number of quests improved is good. This gets my worthless seal of approval!

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Woden posted:

When's update 20 BTW? Usually they're on a schedule right to get stuff out every X months, so will we see it before xmas? Guessing it'll be a small pack without many new features so no need for extended time on Lama.

There's no set date for it, my guess would be before the end of November though. They're usually on a roughly 3 months release schedule. It's going to include Epic and Iconic TRing, so it wouldn't surprise me if it hits Lammania towards the end of this month and doesn't make it out until the end of November.

Woden posted:

Doesn't small problem give decent xp on heroic, like 15k+? I remember getting a good bump out of it, and if you split up it's pretty fast.

Yeah it gave us 16k last life and took 19 minutes, though we don't usually split up a ton during that one. Especially if you're solo it feels like a really unrewarding quest, but I've come to dislike it a little less the last few lives. Which I think is more the problem, it's a cute story, but it's not a very fun quest compared to the whole rest of the series.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Epic TRing info posted.

General:
  • No, there will be a mechanic in game that will allow you to earn Hearts of Wood thru gameplay.
  • Completionist on the Heroic track will not be impacted. Iconics are a prestige race at it's core, not a new class. Iconic True Reincarnation is on it's own track and there are no plans to add a Iconic Completionist anytime SoonTM.

Lesser:

quote:

I am happy to say a new User Interface (UI) will be in place when you begin your Reincarnation, and Kruz will get the vacation time he's always wanted. Likewise, if your previous journey back from Kruz’s tree had you telling tall tales of your training on a boat, that experience will be relocated to a more ethereal zone that will eventually place you in the Hall of Heroes. This change is great for lore, but ultimately it gives the team a chance to simplify the script and improve the experience. The UI itself will also be more informative and give you some foresight into planning your next life’s Past Life (PL) feats. The free LR will be granted at character creation as a Heart of Wood instead of a gift from Kruz – this will cut down on a lot of player confusion regarding which LR they are consuming.

Heroic:
  • but a significant change to the second and third tier XP curve will take effect: total XP required to level to 20 will be lower than it is on live today. For the third tier XP curve this is a huge player benefit at the final heroic levels.

Iconic:
  • Iconics can reincarnate at level cap (currently 28)
  • Iconics can earn an Iconic PL as well as the Class PL from their dominant class. (Yes, you get both!)
  • Iconics can Epic Reincarnate, Iconic True Reincarnate and use all LR Hearts of Wood.
  • You can start a new life as an iconic race after a Heroic or Iconic True Reincarnation.
  • An Iconic can reincarnate and start on the beach at level 1 as something else.
  • Iconics can reincarnate at level cap and return to level 15 as another iconic.
  • Iconics can Epic Reincarnate from level cap to level 20.
  • Iconics always start at 32 build points in their first life. For their second life, an iconic will bump up to 34 build points; once they have more build points, however, they cannot auto-level to 15 with Elminster or Lord of Blades. They must manually train back to 15.
  • Yes they do get the XP to take them to 15 regardless of the previous life.

New Past Lives:
  • Epic and Iconic Past Life feats grant a passive, always active, ability that stacks within like abilities, and a second ability that can be toggled on/off. Each of the PL options can be taken three times. For each Epic Sphere and the Iconic line, you may have one active ability enabled at a time.
  • Example: Two Epic PL from the Martial Sphere, each gives +1AC, and the option to toggle either 10% Fortification or +1 to all Skills. In the Third epic life, choose another Fortification PL from the Martial Sphere the build will have +3 to AC and 20% Fortification when that feat is toggled on.
  • In addition to the stacking abilities of the Epic PL feats, for every 4 Epic Past Lives earned you receive 1 fate point. That includes any Epic Sphere completions so it’s okay if you only took Martial Fortification at the end of your 3rd Epic life as the next Epic Life will earn you an additional fate point. Each fate point is granted based on your character achieving four more Epic Past Life feats. (9 extra fate points total with U20)
  • Again, you will see the list of Epic PL feats when it is released to Lamannia, anything prior to that ... no promises.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Oh god it's all hideously confusing.

So I can do an Iconic, start at level 15 and still get the Iconic and heroic PL when I hit 20 or is it 28 for Iconic PLs? Don't understand the starting at level 15 thing at all.

I can use a lesser heart to remove the first level of an Iconic(so start a PDK as a bard or w/e), but what about if I TR into one, still start as a fighter?

All Iconic or Epic PLs have a passive and an active part(toggle), but the actives only stack twice? Don't really understand that example he gave, get +3AC but only +20 fortification.

I get to re do my heroic levels if I just Epic TR to 20, but can I redo alignments, race, class splits, etc? Looks like no, it's basically the free +20 heart again

What happened to 38 point build, how do we get that?looks like it's not happening now, sad panda

Vargouille posted:

Note that Iconic Past Lives are considered their own category in any case, separate from both Heroic and Iconic past lives.
WTF man?

Woden fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 11, 2013

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

There are four types of TR:
Lesser Reincarnation - Same as now.
Iconic Reincarnation - Get an Iconic Past Life + Normal Past Life, start at level 15 as an Iconic Race. Available at level 28.
True Reincarnation - Same as now, except less experience required and softer curve. Available at level 20.
Epic Reincarnation - Start at level 20, free LR (don't think it's +20, pretty sure it's +0), grants an epic past life feat of your choice from your available options. Available at level 28.

38 point builds are gone, they just didn't see the need for the additional stats on top of the other benefits. Would have been nice, not a big deal.

All Iconic and Epic Past lives have a passively granted effect that always works (from level 1 is the question). On top of that you get a Stance you can use, it's exclusive with like-stances. So you get a passive small benefit (like heroic TRing) and a big(ger) benefit that you can only have one active at a time (sorta kinda like heroic TRing selected feats, but also free). Iconic and Epic past lives are separate stances, so you can benefit from one of each at a time.

Best thing about Iconic TRing is that you can use it to get all your heroic past lives if you want, doing 15-28 (and there's no mention of 20-28 ever getting increased experience requirements), having access to the vast majority of your good raid gear since you're 15 and then a pretty easy run 15-20 where you then get full destiny access + more shiny gear. And 13+ is where the bulk of the newer content is at, and the cool poo poo that's low level is also available as epic (Carnival) so you don't even have to miss out on the cool quests. Lets you choose whether you want to do 1-20 or 15-28 for your heroic past lives.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Ah yep, just woke up and meant +0 heart. so no level changes, alignment, race, etc.

What about doing say, start at level 28.
TR as Iconic barb, start at 15 and level to 20 then TR.
Get barb PL and go back to level 1.
Level to 28 again this time grab say wizard PL AND an ED one.
Repeat.

Or do Iconics have to level to 28 to TR or ETR? Doing things that way seem like a fast way to grab PLs for lovely classes, and going back to level 1 isn't a huge deal if you wanted to change class levels and race anyway.

Will probably be better to do the 15-28 run though, as you might actually want Iconic PLs.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Iconics have to go from 15-28, and use an iconic TR, heroic TR is not an option if you choose to start you life as an iconic.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Ok thanks guys, now I guess the question is to TR now or just wait.

Still 10 completions away from both CiTW and FoT, only really need the gloves from FoT though and not sure if the 20ths are still bugged and not dropping +5 tomes. I'm level 28 and cap is deader than I ever remember, no one groups with you because of XP scaling and people are still too scared for EEs so can't really do that either. When I leveled up we just did it all on EE and it was pretty fun, they're pretty well balanced for their level you just can't solo as easily as heroic and I guess that's what's scaring people off streaking it to 28 which is a shame.

Hopefully with ETRs coming people will be ok grouping up again, this soloing everything crap on heroic TRs just isn't really fun and feels like a slog.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Yeah, I still find all that stuff with heroic/iconic/epic TRing a little confusing. From reading that, it does seem like you can start at level 1 as an iconic, but only if you take the heroic TR option? If you want to start at 15, you have to do the Epic Iconic TR instead?

Something of a moot point for me though, as I'm not really hugely in to the paladin build I came up with, and I can't work out a build I like from the other three iconics. If only those drat sun elves had a different stat bonus/penalty!

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
No, you don't start at level 1 as an iconic ever, if you pick one of the iconic races after TRing, you start at 15 and must go to 28 before you TR again.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Oh hey it's even better than I thought

quote:

You may have one past life toggled active from each sphere.

So that means you can have an Iconic Toggle + Martial + Divine + Primal + Arcane toggle going at once if you're a super completionist. Obviously it might be hard to find something that benefits a specific build from each of the spheres, but something like Fortification from Martial is helpful to basically everyone, so hopefully you can find similar things in all the trees even if they're not ideal.

[Edit]
U20 is up on Lammania.

The XP curve while leveling has been adjusted. Current numbers on Lamannia are listed at the bottom of the Release Notes (Numbers may see further adjustment in the future.)
It still takes 1,900,000 total XP to complete level 19 and reach level 20 on your first life.
Experience required to complete each level had been redistributed.
Second life = 150% First Life XP
Overall XP needed to complete Second life has been decreased from what is currently on Live. (Second life characters now need 289,250 less XP to reach level 20.)
Additional (3rd or above) life = 200% First Life XP
Overall XP needed to complete Third life (or fourth, etc.) has been decreased from what is currently on Live. (Third life characters now need 578,500 less XP to reach level 20.)

It's not quite making Third Life equal to what Second life needs (on live), but it's good. Especially with the curve adjustment.

4,378,500 -> 3,800,000 (vs 3,139,250 -> 2,850,000 for second life), that's a huge chunk less needed.
18->19 = 350k
19->20 = 360k

Those are completely reasonable amounts to earn, vs the roughly 500k each of those takes now.

quote:

Power Play
Previous Base XP on Heroic Normal: 4565
New Base XP on Heroic Normal: 9709

Schemes of the Enemy
Previous Base XP on Heroic Normal: 4132
New Base XP on Heroic Normal: 10669

Blown to Bits
Previous Base XP on Heroic Normal: 3534
New Base XP on Heroic Normal: 6243

quote:

Eldritch Knight:
A new Enhancement Tree, Eldritch Knight, is now available for Sorcerers and Wizards

As an apology for the issues with Raid 20th completion reward lists, a Raider's Reward Box should appear in your inventory if you meet one of the two prerequisites:
You have completed a Raid on your current life. (This does not include Chronoscope or Tempest Spire.)
You have performed a TR since U19.

On reaching 5,000 total favor, a character now can speak with Nyx in the harbor to receive a +5 Ability Tome of their choosing.

"The "Life Stealing" effect now functions as described on all items that it can appear on." -- renerfed to only be a chance on critical hit now I guess?

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 12, 2013

Woden
May 6, 2006
Sitting at just over 4k favor ATM and there really isn't all that much left if I want 5k.

According to the wiki:

quote:

Currently unachievable, current max 4,928 favor (as of Update 19).
So with the new pack you'll probably be able to just get there if the wiki is right, that means doing Titan on elite, maxing all stars on challenges, elite CiTW, etc. Pretty brutal, guess I'll just wait til after the next expansion before even contemplating it.

Those XP changes are pretty good, was hoping for more but I think what they've done is enough and now it just comes down to how they flatten the curve. After looking at the tables I've got some very mixed feelings, 578k less to cap but also need an extra 90k to get to 11. I really hate low levels as most toons feel the same and I'm really burnt out on GH so spending more time there isn't cool.

So everyone's getting new Pre's except the classes that actually need them(bard/pally), meh. Pretty sweet they're embracing the shield+armour playstyle a lot of arcanes are using though, now it's back to rogues being the squishiest class.

Edit: Oh and glad to see life stealing get nerfed, that poo poo is dumb.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I really like those House C quests (am I in the minority? think so), so I'm glad to see those xps buffed! Looks pretty good overall. Also nice to add a +5 tome, but 5k favor grind is pretty awful. Maybe in a year with more content...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

The Raider's Reward box is apparently a choice of 5 commendations or any CitW weapon. Assuming it doesn't change before it goes live, can totally get that Sireth now (or I guess a single Celestia).

Noricae posted:

I really like those House C quests (am I in the minority? think so),

They're kinda cool, but they're tough for the level on elite (less so since the massive nerfs they've gotten) and give completely worthless experience. So they're very very rarely run I'd bet, probably less than old Three Barrel Cove.

• Locked thread