Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
The thing is those 2 tweets are up to date, not to defend turbine because as I said this is the third time in the past 12 months their data center has crapped out(the first time was for nearly 4 days), but they have no control or even influence on the situation, and expecting them to post every 15 minutes saying "servers are still being worked on, no new update" isn't exactly reasonable, it certainly wouldn't be productive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
When I tested it on the TC pre u19, the 15 prr for being in earth stance from the shintao tree and the prr from paly stance did stack so you may want to look to investing 4 or so points into shintao

Ugh, that is the tier 2 ability I was thinking off, so that is an 11 point investment, a bit harder to swallow.

Fenris13 fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 18, 2013

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
My last life was a wiz stick fighter that ignored the PM stuff, but it wouldn't translated well to bladeforge unless you lr out the paladin level. If you are interested I can post it.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I had to redo this for 32 points but I think it is largely identical to the build I used last life, which was extremely strong.
Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 04.19.03
DDO Character Planner Home Page

Level 24 Lawful Neutral Warforged Male
(6 Monk / 3 Rogue / 11 Wizard / 4 Epic)
Hit Points: 286
Spell Points: 952

BAB: 11/11/16/21
Fortitude: 13
Reflex: 19
Will: 12

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(32 Point) (Level 1) (Level 24)
Strength 12 15
Dexterity 18 26
Constitution 16 19
Intelligence 14 17
Wisdom 6 9
Charisma 6 9

Tomes Used
+1 Tome of Strength used at level 3
+1 Tome of Dexterity used at level 3
+1 Tome of Constitution used at level 3
+1 Tome of Intelligence used at level 3
+1 Tome of Wisdom used at level 3
+1 Tome of Charisma used at level 3
+2 Tome of Strength used at level 7
+2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 7
+2 Tome of Constitution used at level 7
+2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 7
+2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 7
+2 Tome of Charisma used at level 7
+3 Tome of Strength used at level 11
+3 Tome of Dexterity used at level 11
+3 Tome of Constitution used at level 11
+3 Tome of Intelligence used at level 11
+3 Tome of Wisdom used at level 11
+3 Tome of Charisma used at level 11

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 24)
Balance 4 12
Bluff -2 3
Concentration 3 8
Diplomacy -2 3
Disable Device n/a n/a
Haggle -2 3
Heal -2 3
Hide 4 12
Intimidate -2 3
Jump 1 6
Listen -2 3
Move Silently 4 12
Open Lock n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a
Repair 2 7
Search 2 7
Spellcraft 2 7
Spot -2 3
Swim 1 6
Tumble n/a n/a
Use Magic Device n/a n/a

Level 1 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Dodge

Level 2 (Rogue)

Level 3 (Monk)
Feat: (Selected) Cleave
Feat: (Monk Bonus) Power Attack

Level 4 (Monk)
Feat: (Monk Bonus) Mobility

Level 5 (Monk)
Feat: (Monk Path) Path of Inevitable Dominion: Fists of Darkness

Level 6 (Monk)
Feat: (Selected) Great Cleave

Level 7 (Monk)

Level 8 (Monk)
Feat: (Monk Bonus) Combat Expertise

Level 9 (Wizard)
Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Extend Spell
Feat: (Selected) Spring Attack

Level 10 (Wizard)

Level 11 (Wizard)

Level 12 (Wizard)
Feat: (Selected) Whirlwind Attack

Level 13 (Wizard)
Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Quicken Spell

Level 14 (Wizard)

Level 15 (Rogue)
Feaat: (Selected) Master of Forms

Level 16 (Wizard)

Level 17 (Wizard)

Level 18 (Wizard)
Feat: (Selected) Grandmaster of Forms

Level 19 (Wizard)
Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Mental Toughness

Level 20 (Wizard)

Level 21 (Epic)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Bludgeoning Weapons

Level 22 (Epic)

Level 23 (Epic)

Level 24 (Epic)

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Since the build is dex based I stayed mostly in wind stance, so the extra 1 dex and 2.5% doublestrike was worth more than say the THF feat would be given how much I move around in combat.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I generally agree with going earth and stopping at master of forms, but for a dex build the combination of doublestrike being slightly better than crit damage, and a 6 point dex swing lured me into trying wind stance and it worked out well. I tried to keep the build I posted as close to the build I used since I know it works well, but I am sure it could easily be adapted to be strength based and stay in earth stance.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
On first use that seems to have avoided the double launch bug. I figured it was caused by excessive cache building time.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Assuming you are free to play so you are probably playing on normal instead of elite, which is much harder but the difficulty does start to ramp up a little bit around level 6 or 7, and then again in the early teens. Not that DDO is ever really a "hard" game, but the tutorial island and the harbor are both meant to be very easy so new players aren't overwhelmed.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
If they fixed it it was with this weeks patch, but I haven't logged in to check. There were signs they wanted to fix it very badly with u20, including being spammed with a "you are too low level to twist" message, even though you could still twist while being under leveled. To twist below 20 you will need to be able to travel to eveningstar, either via the key or by being VIP and using the hall of heroes to TP, and talk to the eveningstar fate spinner, telling him to reset your twist of fate. Be careful not to reset anything else like your destinies and don't do any feat swaps or you can loose out on twisting.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I am pretty sure they have there cost to reduce and cost to increase running in opposite directions, ie if the first cost to in crease is 100p, and the 10th cost to increase is 10k, when you are at your 10th respect and it decays, instead of reducing by 10k, the most recent cost to increase, it only reduces by 100p, the first cost to increase. I haven't actually done any testing on this, just observation, but it would explain why the much higher costs are not reducing properly.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
They already develop content at a glacial pace, and while I love many things about the DDO system, this slimming down could be the death throws of DDO for me. I am sure there are a few whales who will keep playing/supporting the minimalist staff for years to come, but there is still so much potential for DDO that has no hope of being realized now.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

RosaParksOfDip posted:

and make some Monk/Bard thing.
Why must you torment me so.

Also Swashbuckler looks neat and all, something to do as a bard I supose, but it is still so hard to imagine playing a melee and not being a 2h blitzer.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Even though they will probably bring SWF down to 1.25/1.5 I am still really looking forward to playing a swashbuckling divine crusading rune arm wielding bard.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Training room seems to good to pass up, especially with stick fighters and swashbucklers being the cool kids builds right now, but I don't have any suggestion on what to give up for it. I should be able to put in 150 or so shards whenever I log in next, has a date for the update been set yet?

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Can old shrines still be used, or did they nix that idea? If so can't we just keep 1h 4 or 5% xp shrines down there?

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I will be sure to log in sometime shortly after the bugfix patch to drop in however many shards we are short from the 2k ship, I don't have nearly enough to get us up to the 2650 one though.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
What I would really like to see is a DDO 2nd edition, kind of FFIX style. A new engine, but let both engines communicate so people with older rigs could still use the existing engine. Keep all of the existing content, but then revitalize it for the new engine and include a good chunk of new content. This would keep all the ground work that has been done, especially lately, with prestige trees and ED's, but still offer an opportunity to repackage the game to new players. It would take a huge influx of cash and I wouldn't want turbine to be in charge any more, but I could see it having some success. Hard to say if it could match FFiX since DDO is so much older.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I forget, can you rage and swashbuckle at the same time? Bardbarian might be viable, especially once you get to epic levels and just run in divine crusader. Something like 12/8 or even 10/10 would get you barb life over bard.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Without seeing exactly what your build plan is it is hard to give meaningfull advice, but a few possible alternatives to your build include going ninja assassin and using shortswords/kamas, or going 2 rogue instead of fighter and doing a 2hf stick build.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Ok, looking over that build it might be possible to drop down to 4 monk 4 fighter, and drop dodge for wf:s. I am not sure that this is all that great a solution, and really I would just go SS or kama instead of long sword. I am not sure you really even need to go drow, you can spend enough points between human, ninja spy and kensei. Warpriest is a pretty lovely pre, but divine crusader is amazing.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
On the GOONSHIP LOLLIPOP
Its a night trip into bed you hop
And dream away
On the GOONSHIP LOLLIPOP.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Two out of three of those issues are resolved, Ship buffs are now amazingly convenient, just one click for all the buffs, and they last 4 hours instead of 1, with the timer pausing outside of quests. Although the robe from mabar is still great for PM's, there are a couple good alternatives to it now, and the prestige changes overall made PM's even better than ever. As far as raid loot goes, that is still a massive massive time sink, 20-40 raid runs to get your raid loot is what is expected. Gotta sell those raid bypass timers.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
If you are willing/interested in picking up bladeforged while they are 50% off, they make phenomenal sorcerers, and are one of if not the top solo build. Wizards are still great solo classes, and are open to more races, but at the higher end of the game they can feel a bit sluggish when taking down red bosses.
If you don't have bladeforged or warforged, don't try a sorc as that is there only avenue of self healing.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

vigorous sodomy posted:

What is bladeforged?

DemonMage posted:

Bladeforged are 50% off, 648 TP for probably the best iconic race.

Iconic races start at level 15 with a predetermined level 1 class, paladin in this case, you can then pick to customize your level ups, so you end up going 18sorc 2 paladin. Bladeforged are like pumped up warforged, they don't have the -cha penalty, and they gain reconstruct as a SLA which means you can quicken it for free, making it an amazing way of keeping yourself healed, and freeing up a valuable spell slot. They feel very much like pay to win to me, but they are so very fun and worth it.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
That seems pretty cool, I meant to ask you why you had 2 fvs with your sorc build, now I know. My next life is set to be sorc, so I think il give 16/2/2 a try. Hopefully the loss of spells wont mess it up to bad.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
That buld looks like you went for alot of extra defense, I am guessing for EE? I am planning on doing a few epic past lives as sorc and am thinking about the fastest way to run through 20-28, which might not mean as much survivability as needed for EE.

Also, I know its a long shot since who has done shroud in forever, but I am 5 high energy cells, 3 large shrapnels and 3 large sulferous stones short. Does anyone happen to have a stock pile? I can trade for other large ingredients, I have a ton of chains and arrowheads.

Fenris13 fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 20, 2014

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I ransacked haunted halls on EN both the last two lifes, and have 220 stones to show for it, along with the really cool necklace and the neat rogue trinket. I also bought the lantern ring for this life since it seemed kinda cool to go with the spam casting, and I think I will upgrade the ring first, although the neck is really tempting.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Agree with the advice on taking 5 more monk levels, picking up the self healing aura and all the goodies in ninja assassin are great. The only melee attacks I like using from the ranger tree is the core 3 one that acts like 4 seconds of bluff on a 6s cd, with no roll/save. it is amazing if you are soloing and want to get your sneak damage in, even with a good bluff and a deception item you can never have to many ways to get sneak damage. The thing to remember about those special attacks is that most of them can not double strike, or glancing blow for 2hers. The monk ones are an exception to not being able to doublestrike, almost all of those ones can, but I am not sure if any of the ranger ones can.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Darwinism posted:

I'd forgotten that I transferred my Robo-Sorc to another server to play with a friend a while back, and I'd rather not pay the fee again, so Bladeforged caster it is! Is Sorcerer still as good, or should I choose another caster class? This is just for ease of levelling, I think, unless you have advice on what the current good melee builds are. I'm indecisive as hell with this game and end up making tons of alts.

edit: Hahaha the Bladeforged looks like WF Shredder. Sold.

I am currently doing a bladeforged sorc life that DM and valisti just finished doing, linked here...

DemonMage posted:

This is basically they build we're using. The enhancements and spells are slightly tweaked, like I have both Reconstruct and SLA Reconstruct, since it's handy in EE. Also corrected the above to note Just Reward is 10 SP and not HP, if that wasn't an obvious mistake!

It is one of the most op lives imaginable. I have been blasting through quests easier than ever, I rarely ever go below 50% sp, forget about shrining. My gear is pretty solid so that is going to make a difference, but its not hard to get crafted stuff to make up for at least 80% of what I have. Can not say enough great things about this build, except that it might suck having to work your way over to shirdai during epic destiny levels, but working across epic destinies like that always sucks.

A few more tips and changes that occured to me, You are going to be reliant on your SLA's far more than DM was during his life as a sorc, so heighten is a really good investment, I would consider changing the feats to look like
Feats
1: Toughness
3: Maximize Spell
6: Empower Spell
9: Mental Toughness
12: Heighten spell
15: Quicken Spell
18: Extend Spell
And then eventually when you no longer need heighten it is very simple to swap it out for improved mental toughness.
As an iconic, you get enough xp to level up to 15, but I strongly recommend stopping at 14, and holding a level for a while. Then you can look up the level 12 quests, and start there.
Also your spell selection should deviate slightly from what is linked, make sure you take acid rain as your first 4th level spell, instead of probably enervate, for a while at least. There are plenty of fire immune mobs, but fire and acid immunity is pretty rare.

Fenris13 fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 28, 2014

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
You missed the part where they are taking 150% of the bonus damage from blitzing, and moving it to all melees as they level up in epic levels and ED's. That is going to be amazing, to do blitz like damage without having to be limited to blitzing anymore.

I am not so sure about paladins moving up in the stick fighting world, Holy sword takes 14 levels of paladin to cast, and that means you can go 6/2 rog/mnk or mnk rog or whatever. You would basically be trading all of the goodies from your third class for the paladin buff, which may or may not even stack.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I would recommend earning those in game, getting up to +4 isn't that difficult anymore, and +5's are becoming more and more common after every +2 loot weekend.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Yeah, it is really disappointing that they backed down on redistributing some of that melee power so quickly, especially since it seems to be based large on feedback from people who haven't done any testing, and are almost exclusively blitzers who don't want non blitzers catching up to them in dps, or are casters who see any melee buff as the devil.
They claimed their intent was not to buff melee, but to provide an alternative to blitzing and these changes really fall short of that, not to mention how blitzing itself is more convenient and better than ever.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

DemonMage posted:

VIP skipped Madstone cause gently caress that place in general.

I am glad it is not just me who hates that place with a burning passion.

I am enjoying the build, and even considering coming back to it after I am all done with completionist lives. I was thinking when they make the armor changes to give mrr and more prr that it might be worth it to take adamantine body, and grab one of those 30/60 DR/epic docents. That could end up putting the prr up near 90 or so, with all that extra DR and displacement.

I also went ahead and made some tier 1 thunderforged weapons last night, they are ml24 and they only have spell power on them, but they were under 100k in mat cost to make, and they have 100 potency or 150 combust/impulse. The ml 26 are a good deal more expensive, but add +6 evocation focus. I made them throwing weapons so I can use pin/whistler for no save helplessness.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
The price of fire and shadow dragon scales has really come down over the past 2 or 3 weeks, you can get 100 for under 300k no problem now, which is what it takes in some combination to upgrade from t1 to t2. t3 requires the rare bop raid drops, but are useless for leveling anyways.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I was reading in the known issues of the patch notes that you still can not use + hearts on a three class split to replace one of the classes with a new class, as it counts this as a fourth class, which is impossible. So it looks like to go from 16/2/2 to whatever barbarian build, you have to first use +3 to clear out paladin levels, then use an alignment changes, then use the +20 three days later. Quiet the hassle. Fortunately for me, I am looking forward to my barbarian life. Sadly it may be a while before I get around to it, I just ETRed and now the idea of level back to 28 as the same build, even though it is a good build, without any first time running bonuses is rather unappealing.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Haggis has like 8 different characters that he swaps between playing when he is actually active, and he always seems happy as a clam when he is playing. I do think it would be counter productive to try to race multiple characters to completionist though, as you will loose out on any sense of progress by splitting up the already long grind. Basically, just play whatever you want when you want.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I have been thinking about doing a throwing build for my ranger life, but I am fully prepared for it to suck rear end during heroics. I was wondering if snowstar did any real damage if you had IC thrown, it would seem to have a pretty high crit range. Ultimately I will probably just hammer out my level split and use the free heart I have sitting in my bank to change from melee to ranged once I hit 20.

Lamia patch notes up, and SWF is getting nerfed into the ground. Not sure why I am surprised, turbine has never taken the whole "we don't like to nerf things" very seriously.

Fenris13 fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 21, 2014

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
That loss of 50% ability bonus is pretty signifigant, 10-15 per hit before the new melee power bonus kicks in. The 20% melee power is on all of the fighting styles and while it sort of makes up for the loss, the bonus is also on shield feats which you can still take while swf, so you would have had it anyways. The nerf isn't so bad as to make swf suck or anything, it is still really good, it is just a big nerf to something that has only been in the game a very short while.

I have yet to test thf yet, but glancing blows while moving seems really good, especially since you can fairly easily get your glancing blows up to 80% or so of your primary damage.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

DemonMage posted:

Not too much else there besides that

Other than big nerfs to melee power, cutting it in half for divine crusader and blitz. Blitz going from 350% damage down to 200% is a pretty big nerf, especially when the first sentence out of their mouths about this patch was that there intention is not to nerf blitz, but to bring the other melees up to par. I have a serious case of "gently caress you turbine" going on right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Your Mp numbers are a little out dates, combat styles where dropped down to 10 instead of 20, and legendary dreadnaught gives less mp per core than fury now, its only 3 per level, for 18 total. So divine crusader, at 28, with 10 combat style is 44 and dreadnaught is 50 + 50 from blitz, and the other melees are 56 mp. I think the loss of the equivalent to 150mp on blitz more than qualifies as two steps back, even if divine crusader is coming out way ahead. There stated goal with this change was to make more melee options viable, and not to nerf existing ones. They have nerfed master blitz, heavily, made divine crusader the unquestionable top choice for melee ED, and have not even come close to making gmotf, shadow dancer, or any other ED's a viable alternative. Based on their own stated goals with this patch, the work they have done has earned them a big fat F.

• Locked thread