Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Except in this case, DDO wiki is out of date on animal forms. It mentions two weapon fighting feats do not work with animal forms, when they in fact do for some reason, and it also doesn't address SWF which also works in animal form. Taking ranger level 2 after you have taken the SWF feat will get around the antireq and let you take all the way up to greater in both lines. This post seems to be the best at describing the different interactions between weapon feats and druid forms.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/445116-Wolf-proc-speed-build-ee-focused

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Exploit weakness sure is good, except that means you have gone 3 hits in a row without critting, scrub. L2Crit.
Is the blessing of Onatar new? I haven't seen that before. Also should be a Madstone Aegis.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
PDS and Aegis both have the same change of making a shield bash, but Aegis is 2d10 instead of 2d6.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I got real excited reading those barb changes, but then I realized they are going to get nerfed into the ground probably before they even make it to the test server. That self healing is crazy.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
No surprise that they cut down the barbarian buffs before they even hit the test center, but the changes still look somewhat promising. I wonder why they revered adrenaline to be % instead of melee power based.

Increased drop rates sound good, although they are probably small sized increases, that is still much better than the opposite.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

DemonMage posted:

1 Past life = 5 doubled to 10.
Guild buff = 10 doubled to 20.

Leaves 20 unaccounted for of the 50 I had showing.
So either I've got an enhancement I missed or I'm wearing a former 10% healing amp item I guess?

[Edit] Healing Amp on character sheet = 110
Guild buff = 10% (20 rating?)
Past Life Paladin = 5% (10 rating?)
Iron Mitts = +60 Competence Bonus
Divine Crusader Innate 3 = +20 Healing Amp
= 110
So guild buffs, Divine Crusader and past life were doubled. Prior to the patch I would have been at
1.1 * 1.05 * 1.3 * 1.1 = 65% extra healing instead of 110%.

I havent kept up with the barb changes, any word on how they play with a decent bit of self healing and their own healing amp + these changes? Might be time to come back next week and do a few more PL's.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
My biggest complaint about repeaters is how badly they fell behind when enhancement trees came out. They got a few gimmick abilities if you splashed enough ranger, but otherwise both their primary trees sucked. Looks like that will finally change with this update, as long as you are willing to commit at least 18 rogue levels. In fact, I finally have to make real choices and sacrifices as to where I put my points, since I really want 10 or 15 more AP to spend even as a pure rogue.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
That loot first look is really disappointing. The idea of fewer effects but higher damage is ok in theory, but a ton of elemental damage just isn't that appealing for the ml 27 weapons, I suppose they are meant to be ghetto easy to farm alternatives to the thunderforged stuff, but I am just not seeing the value in investing dev time in creating these things. Putting a bane on all of the named weapons seems like it shoehorns them into either being really good vs there bane targets at best, and worthless all the rest of the time. After the cool loot that came out of haunted halls, I see this as a real big step in the wrong direction.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Remember than the weapons are just elemental vulnerability, not the good vulnerability that is on TF. Still I suppose I will reserve finale judgement until I can see them working. The level 7 armor is probably pretty good, but I doubt the epic version will see much use. I do agree on the odd leveling choices. There are a boat load of level 10 and under quests, setting the range at 10-13 would have been great for smoothing out the leveling experience. I think the reason they are setting the epic levels to 28 is that they want to make sure there are plenty of quests to help you get to 30, but I wouldn't mind a little more help getting from 26-28.

I do agree that their plans on raising the cap to 30 once they have something more substantial for the levels that what we got with the last 3 is positive.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I through down the guild chest in the cargo hold, thinking it might have some unbound shards for you new guy, but no luck and My crafting alt is unavailable at the moment. Maybe DM will take pity on you and craft a few more sets.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I was real excited about the prospect of trying both a pure rogue acro and mechanic with these changes, but where turbine givith, turbine also takith.

Severlin posted:

Lethality will be changed to only work with one handed weapons.

Sev~

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Looks like recon was edited out of the spell list, so hopefully there is some good self healing in the enhancement trees, and I suspect that there will be. Overall looks like a neat class with some fun splashing from low hanging fruits, like 17war3bard. I am not sure how many warlock levels I would be comfortable giving up beyond three though, since blasting is a huge part of their thing.
The third level spells are a bit crowded, I would love to see DD moved to a 4th level spell, that or haste.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
They have posted the first two of the warlock trees, and they look really good, but all I really wanted to say is PERMA SHIELD! Suck it magic missile!

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
They also posted the third warlock tree, soul eater! Now we can all run around yelling "I'll Swallow Your Soul!" Looks like a good third tree, and just about any 2 trees can be paired together to have good synergy, all in all a well designed trio. They do seem very positive on the idea that a pure warlock can function as a bow/melee build, which I think is one of the more delusional ideas they have ever had, but I see potential in something like 12/5/3 or 15/3/2

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I was hoping to test warlock out but I didn't have the test client installed, and when I try to reinstall it I get some error about being unable to decrypt, none of the fixes I found online work to solve the problem and a 2nd reinstall didn't work either so I have to hope this error doesn't persist onto the live servers.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

DemonMage posted:

So I doubt it'll survive the next Lamannia update, let alone live. It's pretty rare patcher issues make it live. Though not impossible.

And since it only effects new installs it wouldn't hurt you on live, but sure would suck for a first experience.

Yeah, I just found a long post about it on the lami forums, good to know they are on top of it, and from what I am reading warlocks are in a very raw state right now so I am not missing much.

What sucks is there is a nasty bug on the Marvel Heroes test server so I can't test their either. Two show stopping bugs in two different games on the same day.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I wouldn't play an artificer right now. If you really want to use repeaters, the rogue ranged tree got made over and is very solid for pure ranged rogue, or 12 pal 6 rogue will make a shockingly strong repeater user.

They fixed the corrupt dat files on the test server so I was able to get in a solid day of testing. Warlocks have some great potential. I felt a bit of a sting testing without all the comforts of the live server, but am really looking forward to more testing on a slightly better polished version, with souleater added in. It was really cool watching that chain bolt zip all over the screen, and I found it far too entertaining that while chain bolt would not break boxes, it would hit them and chain onto mobs.
I did not care for my first attempt at a melee warlock hybrid, it seems like you have to make too many sacrifices for to little gains, but maybe they make a decent way for a melee who really wants to add self displacement and haste.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I checked it, it was not working for sure. I think this is just a matter of being the earliest implementation, because without it affecting them there is little reason to take the damage meta magics, which leaves a pure warlock with very few good feat choices, something the devs mentioned concern over.

I also did not see one single crit on my main damage type for blasts, though I saw crits on the pact damage. I noticed in your video you were using the piercing damage type, and it looked like you were getting crits so I wonder if the base force type just doesn't crit.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I didn't get a chance to test it, waiting on soul eater, but I was thinking about using TF throwing weapons instead of melee, and that would open up the two thrown attacks in shiradi for 2 no save helplessness.

Also, if you wanted to do an arti past life as an iconic, 6 rog/12arti/2pali sacrifices very little from 8/12, and should make for a great iconic life, although ranged is probably still stronger at lower levels than epic so they might not be the best candidate for iconic lives.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Perpetual Notion posted:

Heres a screenshot of the lock build I came up with on lamannia, managed to solo EE mentaus for the most part, still need to be careful if you get a bonus damage champion i got 2 shot by a golem that double hit for 385 apiece. Run in divine crusader ED. Bear in mind this is still a work in progress

Can you explain this build a little bit? You give up a ton of poo poo by not going 18 or 20 warlock, and I don't see many benefits offered in those altnerante levels. I see you get to use longswords with charisma instead of strength, and you gain 8% spell crit but those are about the only dvantages I see, where as you gave up over 50% eldrich blast damage, which sems kind of huge, not to mention the extra dice and spells. I see almost no bonuses to meleeing either.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I was wondering what build you were using, it sounds like unless you are going to grab the really powerful low level melee abilities, 18/2 or 18/1/1 is a good split for melee focused warlock, since you loose very little of your blasting ability which is key to damage without swashbuckling or stick fighting.
I have tried 12lock/6rog/2pal stick fighitng + aura, and it worked out about as well as regular stick fighting, the aura is nice for AE damage, but you only take 1 of the two cleave blasts, since you go to tier 5 in rogue, which is kind of meh, and still lends towards wanting to cleave. This build also has evasion, and stupidly high saves, although you are split between dex and charisma for primary stats. Not that big a deal.
Right now I am building up a 12 lock 3 bard 5 ranger Swashbuckling build, I will post the results later if anyone is interested.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Now if warlocks want abusive healing slas they will have to be a bladeforged like everyone else.

The cmw sla was probably a little op, and it was certainly out of character for a warlock, but replacing it with a small amount of temp hp is a lovely solution. 25-30 temp hp every 2-4 seconds is garbage at epic levels.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
R9B7F4 is a fairly standard split, and likely will serve you well for what you are planning. You are heavily overvaluing fighter levels during your thought processes.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I think I still have a bunch of +1/2 tomes, I will look around for a dex one for you plattan.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

DemonMage posted:

Update 27 is live!

Those are the nerfs I was thinking of Haggis. It's not huge, but might be justtttttt enough to push me back to Scholar/Eater focused. We'll see how it plays out later tonight.

Wait, have you guys also been running a pure warlock burst build? i thought I was the only one crazy enough to think that was a good idea.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

DemonMage posted:

Up until 22 we were both running tier 5 Scholar and tier 4 Soul Eater. Touch of Spirit for perma shield (now hopefully actually fixed).

I then respecced to Aura + Angel with Energy Burst, Empyrian Magic and Cocoon twists. Using Spell Cleaves, Aura, Divine Wrath, and Sun Bolt. Don't have time to use regular blast that way really. It feels a little weaker on bosses maybe (likely due to not having hilarious Shiradi procs) but it's a fun change. The rest of my points are Tainted Scholar.

Having Shining Through is fun and kinda helpful for EE traps but even 1k HP isn't quite enough to stop double or triple hitting champions sometimes.

Hrm, interesting. I came to the same conclusion regarding swapping aura for regular blasts, because of how many good SLA's and other abilities you have once you hit 20, but my build is completly different. I only went 31 in ES, and then 41 in SE, stayed in shiradi, but have burst and empyrian as twists as well. But I am also not trying to solo EE's this life at least, Way to much effort for to little gain over EH.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Boy, 24 hours into a new update and no one even posted about it. That is a death knell if I ever saw one.

Anyones, new update has some new dungeons and some Ranger stuff, 12 ranger looks like a much improved base for a build now, although it should make it harder to defend nerfing holy sword any further, which the devs have stated they still want to do.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I was getting the itch to play again and maybe finish up completionist, especially since the two lives I had left could have been a twf ranger and some kind of weird monk/cleric AA, but a massive set of nerfs like this just reminds me of how extreme the DDO developers hate their player base. What a giant gently caress you to the people who keep them employed. That IC nerf is loving garbage.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
They are around for at least all of march, but turbine has yet to set an end date.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
This weekend is group xp weekend, so for the next two days it should be easy to find a group. After that all bets are off.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
She is way out on the opposite part of the harbor from where she used to be, sort of where the old quest that took you to the trapped library used to start at.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
If you are just playing on normal or hard modes, traps are rarely if ever deadly, and a build with good saves and some self healing will be fine. This latest patch made monks even better for solo casual play, and paladins have been a strong class for a while now, although splashing 2 monk levels with your paladin is still a good choice.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Sounds like you want a swashbuckling bard, they have lots of cc, fight with a single light weapon and optionally a buckler, and can stealth like a rogue, just without the trapping ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
For the low low price of 30 past lives, you too can get 10 more racial AP.

In all seriousness, it is more customization/something to do for long time players and that is really nothing to complain about, but it is a massive time investment and the return is really small, especially compared to iconic TRing.

• Locked thread