Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Man the new enhancements are so fun. Level 6 cleric you can have: Nimbus of Light (2sp), Searing Light (4sp), and Holy Smite (7sp) SLAs (with Max, Empower and Quicken on them), as well as Sun Bolt (1d8 lightning bolt) added as a level 3 spell. As well as 100~ light spellpower to use on those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I dunno about being globally bugged, but yours are bugged yeah. Full reset at fully decayed cost is trivial really. And it decays every day, it's just like destinies.

And they're not always wasted points. Human healing amp 3 has always been hideously expensive, and you get some pretty cool stuff spending enough points to get it. Scroll mastery thing is more of a problem of not having a generic class tree, there's some abilities that could really benefit from that.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I'm doing this for my cleric life basically. Although I continued to prioritize Divine Disciple so I could get the Holy Smite SLA since having an AE SLA is a huge deal and strengthening my healing spells wasn't a big concern at level 6.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

19.2 is up on Lammania:

• Protection changed to Warpriest
  • The Druid Enhancement Trees, Nature’s Warrior and Season’s Herald, have received an update! A few enhancements have been boosted and a couple new enhancements have been added.
  • Sagas are back, with new ones. 7 Sagas total.
  • ML20 and 24 Eveningstar Challenge Items now cost the same number of ingredients as their ML16 counterparts. (ML20 = 1/2 as much, ML24 = 1/4 as much as before)
  • Mabar Update:
      Mabar has been updated to accommodate levels 26+
      There is now a level 26-30 version of Delera’s Graveyard for the event
      There is now a level 26-30 version of the Spectral Dragon fight
      There is a new ingredient available: Signet of the Endless Night
      You may earn Signets of the Endless Night by defeating the Spectral Dragon
      You may earn one Signet of the Endless Night per day
      You can trade Signets of the Endless Night for items at the Signet Trader in House Jorasco (right outside the entrance to Delera’s Graveyard):
        One +6 tome per character
        One +5 tome per character
        Cosmetic Hat: Jack-O-Lantern
        Cosmetic Hat: Mabarian Head-Spider
        Ruby of Ghostbane Augment
        Ruby of the Vampire Slayer Augment
        Ruby of the Endless Night Augment
        Enchant Weapon: Festival Solar
      Delera’s Graveyard has also received an update:
      The Giant Skeletons from last year have been removed
      New monsters have been added for level 21-30 players

So... yeah. 19.2 notes are cool I guess but Mabar. Ugh. I really really hate that event and they're yet again putting really good rewards in it.

[Edit] Also I'd put Artis at 25 as really strong, not just middle ground. Energy burst Acid with the 120 acid runearm is lots of damage, and Needle + endless fusilade is tons of damage. I guess maybe with the enhancement revamp they might be a little weaker, but still they're a fantastic class 1-15,20-28. It's just getting through that final 15-20 hump that kinda blows. Same problem with a lot of classes really. The enemies are a lot stronger relative to you, the new gear is usually lovely compared to what comes before or after, and you don't have destinies yet.

Noricae posted:

So anyway, it's a lot of fun, and let me tell you, an artificer + any other class is a lot more fun to duo as an ungeared set of players than... say, a paladin and a ranger was, which was my first set of characters with my bf. Ahaha, why yes, the paladin will take a level of rogue just for traps. That was six years ago :colbert: Don't judge.

Pfft. Six years ago that was the total hotness, at least with two levels of rogue. Back then you could evade in full plate, paladin rogue was all the rage! Everyone was so pissed when they nerfed batman builds even though it was clearly not intended and was stated as not intended in the tooltip and by the devs.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 13, 2013

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah that was the big one that stood out to me. I have no idea how many signets it's going to take, I guess I should log on and check. The augments/enchant sound pretty cool too, except I'm sure they'll be expensive and it's kinda expensive to swap them around for say leveling during a TR.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

+6 tomes = 4 signet, +5 = 3, jack-o-lantern = 1, head-spider = 2, ghostbane = 1, vamp/endless = 2

Vamp = 1d4 light damage and silver
Endless Night = negative level drain on vorpal

And they don't drop. You have to kill the spectral dragon once a day for 4 days to get 4 signets and turn it in. [Edit] Drop rate probably isn't 100% though, since it says MAY drop from it.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 13, 2013

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Noricae posted:

Oh nice, set trade in points. That's... not bad. What the hell am I going to do with +6s without +5s. Maybe they will be BtA? And it's unfortunate that the runes also share the same signet tradein.

Is it one signet per account or character? (I assume you don't know or you would have said, so I'm just rambling and clearing my schedule for... *checks Mabar dates*)

I'd guess it's per character. And they're +6 tomes, not upgrade tomes according to the trade in guy. So it doesn't matter even if you've never used a tome on that character you can still use +6s. They also did seem to BTA but I didn't really look too hard. They're BTC.

quote:

edit: From the forums: "Don't use this stupid mechanic of Neverwinter of "Daily Quests" This! So irritating.

And.. have they announced a set date when it'll be back? I can't find any info on Lammania so far.

I don't see how it's a Neverwinter daily quest thing, it seems like the industry standard daily quest thing. Which is good, it's much better than requiring all day grinding (assuming the Signet rate is reasonable) just to control the influx. Mabar has too much super dull grinding as is. The event badly needs a revamp. And to be permanent. gently caress timered events with actual useful loot.

And it'll probably be active for about a week around October 31st if past events are any indication.

[Edit] Actually the signet trader thing says you get a signet the first time you defeat the dragon each day. So it is 100% rate.

Festival Solar is 1 signet, non-crafted, non-named weapon, 1d4 light damage. Doesn't stack with festival frost.

Also the +5 and +6 tomes can only be claimed once per character.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 13, 2013

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

You can claim one +6 AND one +5 per character.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah I figured there would be new level 28 loot, but it's still just up to level 24. Which is good in the sense of not having to grind for it, but bad in terms of making it more popular.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

On Epic TRing:

quote:

I am looking forward to providing everyone with the design details of proposed changes to the Reincarnation system in the coming weeks. Before we start rolling out the fact sheets and dev discussions, I intend to get in front of some of the greater concerns that players (and developers) have raised regarding our prior proposal for Epic Reincarnation.

To get to the point: We have really changed direction from what was previously proposed; and I for one am very pleased that the systems team has taken that direction from 'power from pain' to something more palatable, like 'rewarded for efforts.'
  • Epic reincarnation will require level cap and "points" (TBD) in a "Destiny Sphere" (TBD). This will allow a character to reincarnate from Epic cap to level 20, with equivalent heroic XP.
  • Doing so will not alter your earned Epic Destinies or Epic Destiny XP, and you can alternatively take a second step and reincarnate your Heroic levels to 1 and benefit from both a Heroic and Epic Past Life [PL] feat.
  • As you level Epic Destinies you will gain points toward Epic Reincarnation in the active Destiny Sphere (e.g. Arcane, Divine, Martial, Primal). Furthermore, there is plan to grant retroactive progress for those of you working on your Epic Destinies today.

Again, this is a departure from the previously shared proposal. The goals we set out to accomplish are still being met with these more generous alterations to the Epic Reincarnation design and I hope to share lots of detail changes in the next week (Soon TM).

~E

quote:

Our current plan for Epic Past Life feats is to tie a few of these feats to each Sphere, instead of tying each Past Life to a specific Epic Destiny.

When you Epic Reincarnate you choose which sphere you want a past life from. For instance, if you want a Primal Past Life, you spend points earned while you had any primal Epic Destiny active, and you choose one feat to gain from the list of possible Primal Epic Past Life feats.

The details regarding these Epic Past Lives are still being designed. Early thoughts are that these are likely to stack three times, like Heroic Past Lives.

If you have amazing ideas for possible Epic Past Lives, now is a good time to try to squeak those ideas into our ears!

re: Iconic + Epic Past life feat

quote:

Not at the same time. (which is an answer that surely leads to more questions)
We will have more on that when we go over the entire Reincarnation system... soon.
Iconics will be able to gain the Epic PL, unlike the previous proposal.

quote:

To clarify our thinking on earning points in a Sphere: You continue to earn points in the sphere of your active Epic Destiny even if your Epic Destiny is capped on XP. There is a cap on the points you can earn in a Sphere, and you spend these points when performing Epic Reincarnation. Sphere points act like currency, even though they are normally earned alongside experience.

(Eventually we're going to come up with a real name besides "points in a Sphere".)

quote:

Will there be a passive and active component to the feats like Heroic?
We are leaning towards not doing this in the same way as Heroic Past Lives. We'd rather spend time making the granted Past Lives better. However, we are considering having activated, granted Past Lives, so activated abilities are still a possibility.

quote:

For completionist do Iconics need to be completed as well?
Iconic Heroes are essentially a separate system with their own design.

It is unlikely that Epic Completionist would involve Iconic Past Lives.
Iconic Heroes can perform Epic Reincarnations like any other character.
We don't currently intend for the existing Heroic Completionist to be affected by Epic or Iconic Past Lives.

We'll discuss more Iconic Hero details later on.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 13, 2013

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

The most important part of all that stuff is:

quote:

To get to the point: We have really changed direction from what was previously proposed; and I for one am very pleased that the systems team has taken that direction from 'power from pain' to something more palatable, like 'rewarded for efforts.'

The rest is just implementation details that are subject to change rapidly and easily and while important are not as important as the core philosophy. I just wanted to have today's info in one post for people instead of having to dig through the dev tracker (and some people can't see it at work and such).

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Heroic TR stays exactly like it is, except hopefully those experience curve (reduction hopefully too) changes they talked about.
Epic TRing gives you the option of either doing an epic TR or a heroic+epic together. So you'll start at level 20 or 1 depending on if you want to get both epic and normal past lives or not. For someone who already has full completionist (or even just regular) it lets them skip the heroic side of things since it doesn't reward them.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Epic experience doesn't stay, you either drop down to 20 (losing all epic experience) or drop down to 1 (losing all epic and heroic experience).
The big changes were:
  • Destiny experience doesn't go away (which basically every player and most of the devs asked for that change) when you TR of any kind.
  • You can just epic TR and start at level 20 instead of level 1 for both kinds of TRs.

Important things to note:
  • Starting at 1 gets you both a heroic and epic past life feat
  • You don't have to max a specific destiny, you just need to earn experience inside of a sphere to be able to get one of the spheres past life feats
  • Iconics are a separate system to some degree
  • Iconic past lives won't effect Heroic Completionist and likely won't effect Epic Completionist.
  • Epic past life feats will likely be auto-granted passives, or maybe auto-granted actives instead of auto-granted passive + access to a selected active.

Noricae posted:

edit: Also, so I haven't touched any of the new content (haven't bought it yet) - is there a new hub city for any Shadowfell content? Or are people just not running it so much that the brokers are nearly empty in Eveningstar?

There's no new hub. The entrance to Stormhorn is near where the Ruined Keep challenges are. Wheloon City is off the Wheloon Docks which are off Eveningstar. I don't think there is a broker at the docks. I figure the brokers are dead since there's not a compelling reason to buy/sell at them anymore. Deconstruction gets you plenty of plat and a useful resource. A broker just gets you a little bit more plat.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Useful Arcane Spells

Level One
Nightshield: Up to +3 resist and magic missile immunity, can potentially save you an item slot when you can't find a place for resistance.
Protection from Evil: Stop Command from effecting you/friends.
Shield: Some more AC isn't bad early on and it gives you the all important magic missile immunity.
Detect Secret Doors: Should be DC35 detection at caster level 20, which is more than true seeing. Probably worth finding a slot for at the high end.
Hypnotism: Good for the will save debuff to use in combo crowd control later on, difficult to use in low level groups otherwise.
Acid Spray/Burning Hands: They're the same spell. Your main damage spell until Acid Blast/Fireball.
Magic Missile: Lackluster until you get Shiradi, fantastic then.
Expeditious Retreat: Anger Boots early on will do just fine, later on you can either use this or perma haste.
Jump: Fantastic spell, being mobile is super important and there are a number of shortcuts in quests that you'll need jump to get to.
Charm Person: Making your enemies not only stop hurting you but kill each other sounds great. But it can also be annoying having to use your dispel charm feat and then kill a guy you could have just AEd to death since it's required for a quest objective. Charm/Suggestion are not bad spells, they're just difficult to use well. Charmed mobs will follow you around and get periodic saves. Suggested mobs don't follow you around and only get the initial save.

Level Two
Resist Energy: With our guild ship this is largely not needed, but it's still worth keeping up. Deaths happen.
Glitterdust: Long cast (last I checked), but a really solid early soft CC spell that also enables sneak attacks.
Melf's Acid Arrow: It's decent boss damage at this level range, but it's on the low end of useful.
Web: Good hard CC spell, but suffers due to fire destroying it.
Gust of Wind: Infrequently useful, but it's ability to dispel persistent AE effects (Dancing Ball, Blade Barrier, etc) can be valuable. Also works on friendly spells so great for trolling.
Scorching Ray: Solid single target damage, and can be somewhat useful for Shiradi due to multi-hitting.
Blur: Solid long duration defensive spell, later on you can just perma displace yourself but this is targetable.
Invisibility: There are numerous quests where you can abuse this spell to make it quicker/easier, especially with the U19 changes. Takes some learning, but fantastic.
Knock: This will work on a hell of a lot of locks and is super useful. Even scrolls will work on some good ones pre-20.

Level Three
Magic Circle Against Evil: Protection from Evil for everybody. Harder to find a slot for, but useful.
Protection from Energy: Great for running through traps, otherwise not useful.
Acid Blast/Fireball: Your main instant AE damage spells for a long time.
Sleet Storm: Great spell if you've got Freedom of Movement, so leave it to Druids generally.
Heroism: This is a solid buff and if you're doing a lot of group play it may be worth finding a spot for but potions are cheap.
Rage: -2 AC is a minor debuff and an extra [your level] in max HP is handy.
Chain Missiles: Lackluster until Shiradi, fantastic then.
Frost Lance: Can hit pretty hard, fort save makes it more difficult to use however.
Lightning Bolt: Takes some doing to get the most value out of it, but the double hit mechanic can make this a very hard hitting spell.
Displacement: Ridiculously powerful buff. 50% miss chance that is rarely bypassed.
Halt Undead: Great early game hard CC (such as Deleras), loses some of it's power later on where even mindless undead are generally not considered such.
Haste: Great group buff, useful but not particularly impressive self buff.
Suggestion: See Charm Person.

Level Four
Lesser Globe of Invulnerability: This will stop Mindflayers from Mind Blasting people. Extremely niche, but worth a mention.
Stoneskin: This can help stretch your lifebar, but it's much more useful to a (non-Warforged) Sorcerer than a Wizard, generally better to heal than to prevent damage with this (passive DR is great though).
Acid Rain: Fantastic short duration AE. Lots of damage per tic, but less damage over the whole duration than Firewall/Ice Storm. Middle ground between using a Fireball and Firewall.
Dimension Door: There are a few places you can really abuse this spell and the scrolls are rare, so it's pretty useful in those cases. It's a lovely escape spell these days since it goes away shortly after the caster goes through.
Charm Monster: See Charm Person.
Fire Shield: Great for running through traps or some raid bosses. Difficult to find a spell slot for, but can be extremely valuable.
Ice Storm: Your mainstay persistent AE damage spell.
Wall of Fire: The other persistent AE. This one is your best bet by far on undead, especially mummies.
Phantasmal Killer: The double save makes this kind of annoying to use, but it gives you access to an instant kill spell pretty early.
Death Aura: You want this up permanently if you're a wizard. Fantastic and basically passive healing with a wizard.
Enervation: Useful on certain targets to soften them up for CC/insta kills but rarely worth it. Useful in Epic Hard/Elite to soften up green named guys that can't be insta killed, this will do massive amounts of damage if you cast it early and often.
Negative Energy Burst: Main emergency heal for wizards. Not useful otherwise.

Level Five
Protection from Elements: See Protection from Energy.
Cloudkill: 20% Concealment that even works on red/purple named, useful for that if nothing else.
Teleport: Fantastic quick travel spell. Best used with scrolls until you run out of useful spells to take at level 5.
Dominate Person: See Charm Person.
Hold Monster: Nice hard CC but only effecting a single target makes it not super awesome.
Ball Lightning/Cone of Cold: Solid instant AE spells with higher damage caps than Acid/Fireball.
Eladar's Electric Surge/Niac's Biting Cold: Your main boss damage spells. Stacking one of these up 3 times will do a sizable amount of DPS, let alone both.
Prismatic Ray: A fun spell to play with unmeta'd. Also has a niche case or two where it's useful (House C it can be used to banish these high hp barrier battery things).

Level Six
True Seeing: Can be useful to keep scrolls around but I prefer to put the responsibility for this on the individual not casters.
Greater Heroism: As above, but is also a useful self buff so I can see keeping this around. Planar Girds are also expensive and somewhat annoying to farm.
Suggestion, Mass: See Charm Person.
Otiluke's Freezing Sphere: A solid last game instant AE damage spell with a high cap.
Chain Lightning: A completely inferior version of the above.
Circle of Death: Your first AE death spell. It's not perfect but it's useful and you'll use it a lot as a wizard.
Necrotic Ray: Fantastic damage spell un meta'd and the free level drains don't hurt. Useful to keep both unmeta'd and meta'd versions on your bars, use the latter on bosses.
Undeath to Death: As Circle of Death but for undead. More limited but only one save (and Will at that) makes it useful in any undead quest.
Disintegrate: Untyped damage makes this extremely useful in certain situations. The fort save taking it down to pathetic damage is what makes it solid not fantastic.
Flesh to Stone: In the rare quests where you want to CC things without killing them, this is useful. Otherwise not worth it.

Level Seven
Protection From Elements, Mass: See Protection from Energy but noting that in this form it's easier to use as a defensive buff for high damage boss spells/effects in raids.
Greater Teleport: Lets you travel to some annoying old raid locations. Doesn't work in public instances. Extremely niche, grab some scrolls.
Otto's Sphere of Dancing: Solid hard CC, longer cast time is annoying.
Delayed Blast Fireball: Solid instant AE, though I rarely found a use for it over Freezing Sphere.
Prismatic Spray: Another fun unmeta'd prismatic spell.
Finger of Death: Your first real instant death spell. Fantastic.

Level Eight
Black Dragon Bolt: Solid short duration DOT spell. Good for bosses that will last a bit, but not long enough to really employ triple stacked Niacs/Eledars.
Trap The Soul: Useful for crafting.
Charm Monster, Mass: See Charm Person.
Otto's Irresistible Dance: Good single target hard CC. Single target makes it less useful again.
Polar Ray: Great single target damage spell with no save.
Sunburst: Great for Temple of Vol.
Horrid Wilting: Decent AE untyped damage spell. Even better on plant monsters (Druid chain).

Level Nine
Mordenkainen's Disjunction: Maybe useful on Spell Wards. Otherwise useless.
Power Word: Kill: Get hosed green named guy. Less useful due to EH/EE green named being immune to instant death.
Dominate Monster: See Charm Person.
Hold Monster, Mass: Solid AE hard CC spell. Helplessness makes them take extra damage.
Meteor Swarm: Great damage spell and since its multi-hit is even better with Shiradi.
Energy Drain: Like Enervate but faster.
Wail of the Banshee: Not quite as glorious as it used to be, but an AE Death spell is never a bad thing to have.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Before Shiradi I usually did Necrotic Ray (no meta usually) > Blast > Bolt for sustained DPS while stacking DOTs.
Post Shiradi it's Necrotic Ray > Magic Missile > Chain Missile, stacking DOTs and using Wild Shots when it's up. With the new enhancement system you can easily grab Magic Missile and Chain Missile SLAs and cut out Necrotic Ray probably.

I generally stop using Scorching Ray once I get Necrotic Ray if not sooner, level 2 slots are pretty valuable and fire immunity is annoying in the teens due to devils.

All that said, I haven't gotten to play a Wizard yet under the new enhancement system other than super briefly on the test server. But as far as I can tell it's pretty awesome. You get all the good poo poo from Pale Master (and even better than before) and can dip into Archmage for the interesting abilities from it.

[Edit] And yeah the Protection from Evil is what he said, it's not uncommon for cleric mobs to cast it and it's super cheap to prevent it. Also important to know that Protection from Evil items and the guild ship buff for it don't work like the spell/work at all last I heard.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 17, 2013

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Otto's Boxes are back 20-29th if anyone wants to skip a life for 5000TP. Really wish they'd just do a Stone of Experience limited release instead of the overpriced boxes. Which I get is why they're doing it, but still. :argh:

Oh and it's +15% Guild Renown for the weekend.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

No, that was only for the MotU preorder stones.

And yes Otto's Stones work just fine with experience potions (it says so in the description, everything but global events). It's just Bigby's that don't work with experience stuff.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Given that they seem to be selling a ton of them, I can't imagine they're going to do anything to make them a better value sadly. Not anytime soon anyways.
Also 19.2 is coming out Monday (5am - Noon Central):
  • Fixes bugged House C items
  • Protection Tree becoming Warpriest Tree
  • Sagas are back, with a few extra ones
  • ML20/24 Eveningstar challenge weapons cost lowered to ML16 levels

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I'm almost inclined to do dex for the +6 since that lets you start with 15 dex like normal and still qualify for Combat Archery or Improved Sneak Attack. I don't usually have trouble qualifying for Overwhelming Critical, so that concerns me a bit less. Though I do tend to prefer casters (in the end... some decade) so I'm almost inclined to go for a DC boosting stat.

Need tome page 1, have 3 spare 8s.
Need shield 1, 3, 4, 7. Have a spare 5. These are not a big deal though, getting that tome page would be nice though so we can both get new Skivers (hooray for turning in and never using them before they got updated).

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 22, 2013

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Do quests on elite that are two levels below you. Quests that are super good experience you can chain run if it doesn't make your eyes bleed. Things like Kobold's New Ringleader, Shadow Crypt, Vault of the Night 3, Delera's 2, Sane Asylum. Though chain running those is maybe a little less valuable now with the +20% daily bonus and faster bottoming out of repetition penalty (though it caps higher). Keeping the best experience potion you have running helps, as does insuring you always have Voice of the Master (/item with Master's Gift augment) equipped for all experience gains (which is why the augment owns). Greater Tome of Learning is a huge amount of extra experience. Having access to all Monster Manuals adds up over the course of a life.

If you want to be even more efficient learning what optionals are worth doing and which you should skip can help a lot too. As does doing quests with at least one other person so you can split up and do simultaneous objectives when possible.

Biggest problem is going to be keeping burn out away during the 15-20 and especially 18-20 stretch (for third life and beyond), which is where a leveling partner(s) helps a ton.

This is out of date, but it does a good job of pointing out the good xp/minute quests. Though it assumes leveling partner(s), and he even notes that just following in Mr Cows footsteps works better solo (which is basically do every quest once on elite two levels below you).

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

It's just more fun to do all the quests on elite, skipping the ones you really just hate and making up for it with some repetition here and there. I mean I'll run the gently caress out of Shadow Crypt, but other than that I don't do a lot of repetition until later on when I'm like "I really don't feel like running House C or Shavarath on Elite, I'll just run more of this other poo poo", at which point you can also just drop down to Hard. Even Mr Cow notes that his all hard run didn't take any longer than his all elite run, but that there's no real reason to not just be doing Elite until in the teens somewhere depending on your build/skill/gear.

Noricae posted:

By the way, have date(s) for Mabar been announced yet?

No, they never do until the last minute. They said it'll be around Halloween and "long enough for everyone to get what they want", whatever the gently caress that means.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Not really a grind for the signets, but agreed I'm completely fine with it.

quote:

Death Aura, Lesser Death Aura, and Negative Energy Burst are no longer blocked by items with Spell Absorption charges.

Here's hoping that fix will stick around for awhile.

Also the new character planner is out, updated for 19.1 and some of 19.2 (it has Warpriest). Do note that it's the first major release of the new system, so it's effectively beta and there may be things wrong or missing compared to live. They had to do a poo poo ton of work to get this working, but they'll work on any bug fixes here after a few days of rest.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Mabar Sneak Preview tonight from 6pm-midnight Eastern. I just love six hour events with no notice.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I was gone the whole time, so didn't get to experience the glory of a 6-hour Mabar Rush Fest. Not even sure if we care enough to do dragons for a +5 tome, I mean they're nice to have for epic feats but I'm pretty drat tired of Mabar already. At least for signets you don't really have to do anything but show up to the dragon fight itself, but waiting on that blows.

On the bright side:

QuarterMasterX posted:

"Just let us drop any armor into the Cosmetic Armor slot. Problem solved! There's already tons of looks for armor in the game. Old cosmetic armor kits would now be usable without any conversion."

Agreed... we are looking into this.

I'm happy to keep buying cool new cosmetic armors (the new Shadowfell Regalia is nice, particle effect woo), but being able to use all the existing nice looking stuff would own. So long as they keep making new stuff for named items (and even randomgen) instead of only making cosmetic gear.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Cordovan posted:

The +6 Tomes were removed because they were not working (they were not actually applying +6 to a stat.) Whether they make a return (after this year's Mabar) will be discussed at a later time.

I'm not really sure I want them brought back, I mean +5s aren't don't apply until 19. I guess it's cool for epic feat qualifying, but I don't know that I really want them going up to +10 tomes or whatever eventually. I mean I'm all for near infinite character advancement in general so it seems like something I should like, they're just super random to get which I like less. The bug actually makes some sense too since they said they never wanted to go beyond +5s, but that was a long time ago.

And yes Sagas were :airquote:fixed:airquote: with 19.2, and then turned off a day later. It's a shame, doing heroic gianthold all on elite nets you something like 64k free extra experience. Plus relatively easy access to skill tomes later on. Or large chunks of guild renown.

They also made it so you can't get Epic end rewards for the new quests too, since that system was tied to the system that tracked your heroic and epic raid completions seperately which they turned off since it was messed up. That's scheduled to be fixed (the quest part at least) with 19.3 (I assume, could be U20 I guess, they said next patch), but still kind of annoying.

And I'm pretty happy with both new and old armor looks in general, but having more options for your looks without having to give up stats is always good. Having cosmetics be something to earn is cool too, farming a cool named item you like, or raid dropped cosmetic armors like the purple cubeling though hopefully not as rare.

[Edit] Also just realized we haven't gotten a new monster manual volume since U17. Was supposed to be a new volume every update originally I thought. That really sucks. They don't even have Drow in it yet (which should have been there with it's release). It's nice chunk of extra experience while TRing and it's fun to earn the unlocks, even if getting the pets is a pretty significant grind. Getting the visible HP is also a grind, but isn't too bad for common stuff if you're TRing.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 27, 2013

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Woden posted:

Still need to buy the monster manuals, they're pretty fun and I love seeing mob HP. The thing I'm curious about though is does it only start tracking monsters after you buy it or has it been tracking ever since release, so can I buy it now and have say all the beholder stuff unlocked?

95% sure the answer to this is no. It only tracks stuff for monster manuals you have unlocked. On the bright side, each creature in the MMs can give you up to 50TP, and there's 10 in Volume 1 and 2, meaning in the end you only have to pay 100TP for Volume 2, and Volume 1 is all profit (its free to Premium as well as of course VIP). Volume 3 just gives Astral Shards, not TP. Of course it's fairly time consuming to get those TP, but it's good to know for the long run.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Sep 29, 2013

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

eth0.n posted:

You get that just by buying points from the store, which is probably a better lasting investment than VIP for a month. Depends on how much you'll get out of that one month of VIP bonuses vs the extra TP you could get for the cost of VIP.

There's a number of good quest chains for lowbies that are pack restricted: Shan-To-Kor, Tangleroot, The Sharn Syndicate, Deleras, Vault of the Night, Phiarlan Carnival (especially this), Sorrowdusk. Along with a few other less good ones, which when you're new you have no idea if you'll like them or not, and going VIP is cheap and gives you access to all of those to really let you explore before worrying about what's worth your money to buy. And with all the other benefits VIP get and being able to go $30/3 months if you're into the game longer term, it's really worth thinking about.

KittyEmpress posted:

Are pure ranged Arcane Archer Rangers more viable now with the ability to take multiple paths? The build in that path guide takes a ton of melee stuff.

If you mean pure ranger, yeah they're a ton more viable now. I should probably cut the building suggestion links out of the OP at this point, since they're not going to be updated anymore I think. I'm trying to at least put a basic build guidelines in the OP, other than that the class forums on the official forums or bugging someone for a build here are good ways to go about it.

Also we're getting a patch in a few hours:

quote:

We'll have Release Notes tomorrow (aka 10/2). This will fix a couple of things from Patch 2 (Sagas, End of the Road, Calomel Banded Heavy Crossbow/Elemental Longbow issue, Kobolds in Challenges), and improve a couple of things based on your feedback during our Mabar preview, among other things.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Oct 2, 2013

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

KittyEmpress posted:

So, my friend and I decided to roll an Artificer and Ranger respectively, and while he is having the time of his life I am just not feeling strong with ranger. Only got up to level 3, so I was wondering what class pairs well with an artificer, because I can rel level in a few hours tops.

For one Artificers are super overpowered from 1-10 especially. That said anything pairs well with them really. Wizard/Sorcerer would probably be up there, since they're powerful on their own and give you sorta better AE options. Another Artificer would work just fine too.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

There's not a ton of people playing right now, but there's 4 people on this second. Though I don't think Grorthul joins the channel or bothers to pay attention to it or guild chat. Also note that the channels don't tell you when people join them if you're already in, so you can log on as the only person and then people could show up but not say anything and you wouldn't know. If you really can't find anyone on in the channel to invite you to the guild, just leave your character name(s) and I can send out invites via the mail.

This expansion didn't draw people back like the last one did since there's no real overly shiny feature to it. The enhancement pass is great, but it doesn't compare to actually going to FR (which tons of people wanted, and tons of people hated) or Epic Destinies + Epic Levels. The loot revamp and enhancement revamp make low levels a lot better overall, especially for newer people, but there's not a ton of new end game content. The new level 28 loot is all kind of lovely compared to level 25 named items, and there's no new raids scheduled until 2014. Of course there's always TRing which is always getting better and better since every patch adds new quests to make it easier, and the last update added the new +20% daily quest bonus too. So even if you're bored of grinding out the same 3-10 quests endgame, you can always TR and try out something new with your overpowered gear.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Seems worth a shot to me. I think the biggest problem would be the low duration of your buffs getting annoying, but other than that you'd be alright. I'm not totally up on all the new ways to build a character (shockingly), but it sounds solid!

And again everyone hits a wall at level 15ish, HP ramps up to Epic Hard levels of HP on Elite in that level range (especially Inspired Quarter and Dreaming Dark) and your damage barely goes up since getting Greensteel at level 12 (or is less than that if you don't have it, even with higher ML stuff usually). It's not really a terrible idea to drop down to Hard at that point and just do a little more repetition. This is also why those quarterstaff builds like the Dreamspitter, level drain is an effective source of DPS when stuff has a lot of HP relative to your damage.

And no, we don't really use guild chat. This is more a relic of when people were in other guilds or not in a guild for various reasons, and is mostly that way due to a) "always" being that way and b) it's where new people are joining anyways and it's no better or worse than actual guild chat. I just mentioned guild chat since I said hi to him in guild chat and reminded him to join the channel.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Oct 4, 2013

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Not to mention the massive amount of damage you'll do with Energy Burst and Blade Barrier (though the latter is annoying in groups), with Tactical Detonation/Prismatic Strike for CC. And the extra buffs (metal types, deadly weapons, radiant forcefield) I guess you might do more single target DPS possibly as a repeater rogue, but I wouldn't say you're nearly as strong overall.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Experience changes in U20:

"Fooz posted:

We took a hard look at DDO’s epic dungeons – why were some dungeons giving out less XP than we want, and others more? We’ve discovered an unintended constant in the XP formula that prevented longer quest XP from scaling up as much as desired over shorter quest XP. We removed this constant, and scaled up the quest length multiplier. So starting with Update 20, longer epic quests will be worth more XP and shorter quests will be worth less. For comparison, this is more in line with how heroic quests have always scaled their XP between shorter and longer quests.

And on top of that they're changing some quests experience based on metrics/feedback.

Quest experience decreased due to huge spike in XP/minute:
  • Desecrated Temple of Vol
  • Mining for Ancient Secrets
  • Reclaiming Memories
  • The Deadly Package: Agent of the Darguul

Quest experience increased due to low XP/minute:
  • Acute Delirium
  • Bargain of Blood
  • Bastion of Power
  • Blown to Bits
  • Partycrashers
  • Power Play
  • Schemes of the Enemy
  • Spies in the House
  • Storm the Beaches
  • The Black Loch
  • The Lord of Eyes
  • The Lord of Stone
  • The Tide Turns
  • The Weapons Shipment
  • Undermine
  • Wrath of the Flame

Good list of quests to change in the latter especially. Mildly surprised they didn't nerf the poo poo out of Shadow Crypt. Sad to see Mining/Reclaiming in particular in the former list though, they're nice to ransack for the end of a life rather than doing House C and Shavarath and stuff... which to be fair House C is on the buff list which is cool. Nothing for Shavarath's main quests though besides Bastion, which is a shame. Of course this can all change once it hits Lammania, so be on the lookout there soon and offer feedback if you want to see your favorite lovely rewarding quest buffed (so glad Partycrashers is on there, need Small Problem too).

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Woden posted:

When's update 20 BTW? Usually they're on a schedule right to get stuff out every X months, so will we see it before xmas? Guessing it'll be a small pack without many new features so no need for extended time on Lama.

There's no set date for it, my guess would be before the end of November though. They're usually on a roughly 3 months release schedule. It's going to include Epic and Iconic TRing, so it wouldn't surprise me if it hits Lammania towards the end of this month and doesn't make it out until the end of November.

Woden posted:

Doesn't small problem give decent xp on heroic, like 15k+? I remember getting a good bump out of it, and if you split up it's pretty fast.

Yeah it gave us 16k last life and took 19 minutes, though we don't usually split up a ton during that one. Especially if you're solo it feels like a really unrewarding quest, but I've come to dislike it a little less the last few lives. Which I think is more the problem, it's a cute story, but it's not a very fun quest compared to the whole rest of the series.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Epic TRing info posted.

General:
  • No, there will be a mechanic in game that will allow you to earn Hearts of Wood thru gameplay.
  • Completionist on the Heroic track will not be impacted. Iconics are a prestige race at it's core, not a new class. Iconic True Reincarnation is on it's own track and there are no plans to add a Iconic Completionist anytime SoonTM.

Lesser:

quote:

I am happy to say a new User Interface (UI) will be in place when you begin your Reincarnation, and Kruz will get the vacation time he's always wanted. Likewise, if your previous journey back from Kruz’s tree had you telling tall tales of your training on a boat, that experience will be relocated to a more ethereal zone that will eventually place you in the Hall of Heroes. This change is great for lore, but ultimately it gives the team a chance to simplify the script and improve the experience. The UI itself will also be more informative and give you some foresight into planning your next life’s Past Life (PL) feats. The free LR will be granted at character creation as a Heart of Wood instead of a gift from Kruz – this will cut down on a lot of player confusion regarding which LR they are consuming.

Heroic:
  • but a significant change to the second and third tier XP curve will take effect: total XP required to level to 20 will be lower than it is on live today. For the third tier XP curve this is a huge player benefit at the final heroic levels.

Iconic:
  • Iconics can reincarnate at level cap (currently 28)
  • Iconics can earn an Iconic PL as well as the Class PL from their dominant class. (Yes, you get both!)
  • Iconics can Epic Reincarnate, Iconic True Reincarnate and use all LR Hearts of Wood.
  • You can start a new life as an iconic race after a Heroic or Iconic True Reincarnation.
  • An Iconic can reincarnate and start on the beach at level 1 as something else.
  • Iconics can reincarnate at level cap and return to level 15 as another iconic.
  • Iconics can Epic Reincarnate from level cap to level 20.
  • Iconics always start at 32 build points in their first life. For their second life, an iconic will bump up to 34 build points; once they have more build points, however, they cannot auto-level to 15 with Elminster or Lord of Blades. They must manually train back to 15.
  • Yes they do get the XP to take them to 15 regardless of the previous life.

New Past Lives:
  • Epic and Iconic Past Life feats grant a passive, always active, ability that stacks within like abilities, and a second ability that can be toggled on/off. Each of the PL options can be taken three times. For each Epic Sphere and the Iconic line, you may have one active ability enabled at a time.
  • Example: Two Epic PL from the Martial Sphere, each gives +1AC, and the option to toggle either 10% Fortification or +1 to all Skills. In the Third epic life, choose another Fortification PL from the Martial Sphere the build will have +3 to AC and 20% Fortification when that feat is toggled on.
  • In addition to the stacking abilities of the Epic PL feats, for every 4 Epic Past Lives earned you receive 1 fate point. That includes any Epic Sphere completions so it’s okay if you only took Martial Fortification at the end of your 3rd Epic life as the next Epic Life will earn you an additional fate point. Each fate point is granted based on your character achieving four more Epic Past Life feats. (9 extra fate points total with U20)
  • Again, you will see the list of Epic PL feats when it is released to Lamannia, anything prior to that ... no promises.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

There are four types of TR:
Lesser Reincarnation - Same as now.
Iconic Reincarnation - Get an Iconic Past Life + Normal Past Life, start at level 15 as an Iconic Race. Available at level 28.
True Reincarnation - Same as now, except less experience required and softer curve. Available at level 20.
Epic Reincarnation - Start at level 20, free LR (don't think it's +20, pretty sure it's +0), grants an epic past life feat of your choice from your available options. Available at level 28.

38 point builds are gone, they just didn't see the need for the additional stats on top of the other benefits. Would have been nice, not a big deal.

All Iconic and Epic Past lives have a passively granted effect that always works (from level 1 is the question). On top of that you get a Stance you can use, it's exclusive with like-stances. So you get a passive small benefit (like heroic TRing) and a big(ger) benefit that you can only have one active at a time (sorta kinda like heroic TRing selected feats, but also free). Iconic and Epic past lives are separate stances, so you can benefit from one of each at a time.

Best thing about Iconic TRing is that you can use it to get all your heroic past lives if you want, doing 15-28 (and there's no mention of 20-28 ever getting increased experience requirements), having access to the vast majority of your good raid gear since you're 15 and then a pretty easy run 15-20 where you then get full destiny access + more shiny gear. And 13+ is where the bulk of the newer content is at, and the cool poo poo that's low level is also available as epic (Carnival) so you don't even have to miss out on the cool quests. Lets you choose whether you want to do 1-20 or 15-28 for your heroic past lives.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Oh hey it's even better than I thought

quote:

You may have one past life toggled active from each sphere.

So that means you can have an Iconic Toggle + Martial + Divine + Primal + Arcane toggle going at once if you're a super completionist. Obviously it might be hard to find something that benefits a specific build from each of the spheres, but something like Fortification from Martial is helpful to basically everyone, so hopefully you can find similar things in all the trees even if they're not ideal.

[Edit]
U20 is up on Lammania.

The XP curve while leveling has been adjusted. Current numbers on Lamannia are listed at the bottom of the Release Notes (Numbers may see further adjustment in the future.)
It still takes 1,900,000 total XP to complete level 19 and reach level 20 on your first life.
Experience required to complete each level had been redistributed.
Second life = 150% First Life XP
Overall XP needed to complete Second life has been decreased from what is currently on Live. (Second life characters now need 289,250 less XP to reach level 20.)
Additional (3rd or above) life = 200% First Life XP
Overall XP needed to complete Third life (or fourth, etc.) has been decreased from what is currently on Live. (Third life characters now need 578,500 less XP to reach level 20.)

It's not quite making Third Life equal to what Second life needs (on live), but it's good. Especially with the curve adjustment.

4,378,500 -> 3,800,000 (vs 3,139,250 -> 2,850,000 for second life), that's a huge chunk less needed.
18->19 = 350k
19->20 = 360k

Those are completely reasonable amounts to earn, vs the roughly 500k each of those takes now.

quote:

Power Play
Previous Base XP on Heroic Normal: 4565
New Base XP on Heroic Normal: 9709

Schemes of the Enemy
Previous Base XP on Heroic Normal: 4132
New Base XP on Heroic Normal: 10669

Blown to Bits
Previous Base XP on Heroic Normal: 3534
New Base XP on Heroic Normal: 6243

quote:

Eldritch Knight:
A new Enhancement Tree, Eldritch Knight, is now available for Sorcerers and Wizards

As an apology for the issues with Raid 20th completion reward lists, a Raider's Reward Box should appear in your inventory if you meet one of the two prerequisites:
You have completed a Raid on your current life. (This does not include Chronoscope or Tempest Spire.)
You have performed a TR since U19.

On reaching 5,000 total favor, a character now can speak with Nyx in the harbor to receive a +5 Ability Tome of their choosing.

"The "Life Stealing" effect now functions as described on all items that it can appear on." -- renerfed to only be a chance on critical hit now I guess?

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 12, 2013

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

The Raider's Reward box is apparently a choice of 5 commendations or any CitW weapon. Assuming it doesn't change before it goes live, can totally get that Sireth now (or I guess a single Celestia).

Noricae posted:

I really like those House C quests (am I in the minority? think so),

They're kinda cool, but they're tough for the level on elite (less so since the massive nerfs they've gotten) and give completely worthless experience. So they're very very rarely run I'd bet, probably less than old Three Barrel Cove.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Woden posted:

auto attack afk the pillar thingies

If you've got the UMD for it, prismatic ray scrolls work wonders here. The banishment works on them, at least it did the last time I tried.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Woden posted:

Back to TR chat for a min, if I'm reading it right it seems that Iconics can still grab a heroic PL. So the only point of starting at level 1 is if you want a non Iconic race or are too cheap to buy the macguffin you need to ITR(Iconic TR). Or I guess you really hate epic and can do 1-20 really fast.

Not sure how favor and flagging will work with ITRs either, ETRs(28-->20) you keep favor/flags but I'm guessing not so for ITRs(28-->15)?

Correct on all counts I believe. Like I said earlier, it's a choice of which you prefer 1-20, or 15-28 (with more limited race options and potentially a forced class dip). Fairly sure you don't keep anything favor/flag wise when Iconic Reincarnating, only with Lesser or Epic.

You're also supposed to be able to get all forms of hearts through ingame methods, but they could just mean the rare chance of getting an extra item as a store drop and the super rare chance of that being a heart. Or they could be nice and provide a method similar to tokens for hearts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Sireth is great if you've got quarterstaff enhancements otherwise it's just solid. Cleaver and Breach are the best otherwise, with Cleaver edging it out for DPS if you're running Dreadnought in particular. The other melee ones are pretty good but THF is generally preferred over TWF. And you really need two Celestia or Nightmare to take advantage of them. The ranged weapons are fantastic if they're your primary weapon.

• Locked thread