Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Yeah, they provide the illusion of rolling but no benefit of customization of stats at all. Best of both worlds. :confused: You can also put points only in the three stats they think are ok for your class. But yeah, there are many other issues, but it starts one minute into character generation basically :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Best thing I've wanted them for was to make a Master's Gift: http://ddowiki.com/page/The_Master%27s_Gift (voice of the master exp% augment).

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I was planning on putting it into goggles - not a lot of choices there, esp for arcane lives, and there are a few decent named goggles that have slots now (Goggles of perception maybe, Intricate field optics, dream visors are pretty easy to farm). Anything to free up the trinket slot though! I leveled a few lives with my bf's character tagging along (dual-boxing) and the difference in exp really added up. That is, I never ever remembered Voice on optionals and only remembered it at quest's end half the time at best, and the other character was a good, oh, nearly two dots into a level ahead of me by the end. I still always forget though, especially running epic content.

edit: Vvv Yeah, jesus the drop rate on that is abysmal.

Noricae fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Oct 20, 2013

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I'd stick with true neutral alignments unless forced to lawful for class reasons to avoid alignment based damage (it's noticable, especially anti-good damage). So UMD for all! But yeah, clerics don't really need it much. The other main use I have for UMD on a cleric (other than teleport) is blur/displacement. I also found my artificer much more self sufficient, even as a human artificer (so no repair) because of the ranged aspect and higher BB damage. Then again my cleric is /3monk soooo... upclose and personal clerics require a lot of button mashing. More importantly, no one is adding my artificer to their group randomly every 15 minutes.

But yeah, if going cleric, don't multiclass unless you have a plan - usually monk as a plan, and have played a bunch of classes pure to see what they can do (which as a cleric is a ton!). If you already have traps covered, you won't get much out of a rogue as a cleric (sure, evasion with a piss poor reflex save until high levels, at which point you can get evasion from epic destinies if you need it). So: boost your saves as much as you can instead (not using feats).

I wish Bards would get more buffs; it's the second class I really wanted to play but it's so painfully unbalanced to solo with or duo with any other melee.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Rainbow_Horse posted:

I started looking for fighter/rogue builds because I feel like we're lacking trap and lock skills, but I can't really find anything. I read some mention of 18/2 fighter/rogue being good, do any of you have builds like that?
How about a ranger/rogue? Or a Ranger/barb/rogue or Ranger/fighter/rogue? Str focus, 12+ con, no need to qualify for most dex requiring stuff since ranger gets a lot of it (don't dump it but no need for 15/16+ dex), extra feats or rage+haste from fighter or barb, trap skills doable but 2 rogue takes a lot of micromanagement (rogue level 1, then second rogue much later on) to get traps maxed. You can do a ton with any of those, especially if you are a backup healer/arcane or ranged.

Woden posted:

The biggest issue I had with bards was getting groups on the same page as you. Need to group up for songs, not have retards cleave groups of fascinated mobs etc., once you get it down though I found them to be pretty solid. Similar DPS to a paladin but with better healing,
Yeah, grouping is most painful for bards for sure. I actually need to go play my bard more to check if they've gotten better - all I did was redo my enhancements and get underwhelmed at a lack of options. They could use some SLAs, maybe a feat or autogrant of some spellcaster feats. My bard is also not pure so I'm missing out on all the nicer perks until I TR (I really need to, but I am mourning the multiclass options of 4+ yrs back to be honest). She's not capped either so I haven't seen what epic destinies can do (this is probably the biggest issue).

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

DemonMage posted:

This doesn't make any sense what so ever to me. There's vastly more multiclass options now than there has ever been in the game, let alone when capstones were relatively new.
I just want heal ;) And want it in Warchanter so I can stop hopping around scroll healing. And while I'm dreaming, I want it at level 16 bard :D

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Yeah, definitely. Ok I'll stop bitching about bards until I reach 20+. :S

I always thought the TR barrier was a strange design decision - how much more income would they get from xp boosts or similar from more people TRing and how much more active would servers be? It's easier to get players to drop tiny amounts of points constantly than a heart from the store.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I did that a good four or five times until I got really hooked, every 5-8months for years. Did paladin, rogue, bard and cleric around the same time, then wizard, wizard, wizard etc. until artificer was released. I found it more fun to make new builds from scratch and invest in a new character until one stuck.

And exactly what DemonMage said - coming back a year later to a paladin/rogue was ??? due to class updates.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Oh yeah, definitely *keep* them, just probably find whatever new build you find fun to play, on the same characters respec'd or on new ones. It sounded like the choice was trudging through the same old build on old characters or trying something new. Eh, whatever is fun, really - do that ;)

Noricae fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 24, 2013

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Oh man, I would TR so many characters so I could store stuff... the huge increase in BtC gear is a real bummer and it's why I've stopped farming for certain things (especially lower level BtC gear that would be good to TR with but I don't want taking up space).

Already missed my first daily token, bah! :)

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Yes, I really really really hope it stays. I've seriously quit playing half my characters due to storage issues (they're already holding BtA stuff and don't have room for any new nicer gear). Sad that I'm so excited about storage though, haha.

Uhoh, not sure how I feel about fate points and epic lives. I guess it gives people something to do, but you can still only gain experience in destinies that are actively equipped, correct? (Having this changed would motivate me to do strings of epic TRs way more than anything. Boy do I not want to level as LD or Grandmaster on my artificer).

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Woden posted:

It's by sphere not ED, so if you hate LD but are cool with Shadowdancer all is good. You can also just take an Iconic PL instead from what I can tell, so if you do a Shiradi Arti and don't want a Primal PL for whatever reason you can just take the Iconic one instead(only for Iconic races of course).

Edit: If they just add a search field to TR cache all my inventory woes would be gone forever, really really hope they keep it in.
I missed that! Sphere totally works; or at least better than nothing :) Search field would be fantastic. *cross fingers*

The MotU stuff is totally soloable, even on hard for half of it. There are a few things that you might get cremed on until you learn the trick or tactics to use in the quest, so don't give up on first try. I'd start on normal, but most of it is way easier than Eberron epics were on normal pre-epic revamp.

You should probably consider grabbing any sort of exceptional fortification (ideally 25%) item if you aren't wearing one yet since there are tons of attacks that can bypass 100% fort.

Noricae fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 26, 2013

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

MondayHotDog posted:

The second: I made it to Eveningstar, but I hear you need 125 PDK favor to be able to teleport there. Until I get that much, I have to run through the Beyond the Rift quest again every time I want to go there? I bound in the inn so for now I can do /death, but then I can't bind anywhere else.
Yep, it's not too hard to get 125 PDK favor really - about 3/4ths through the MoTU quests, a handful on hard is when I got it I think? You can also buy permanent ports in the DDO store (which tbh, I would consider if I didn't have teleport scroll usage or the teleport clickie*).

*I got TWO of the teleport clickies (and one of the raise dead) running Restless Isles stuff for favor recently all in a row. After years of occasional farming with no luck. What the hell? Either they raised the drop rate, no one at all is farming this, or I used up my luck forever.

Annoying thing in DDO that will save you so much lag/load time and increase performance #1:
Awesomium. This process (tied to the DDO store) lags most computers like crazy and killing this (manually or with a shortcut) after logging in your character reduces a lot of lag issues (but the DDO store will not work). Whenever you restart the client or change characters it will load up seven (!) instances of awesomium.exe again, so you need to kill them all again. I made a shortcut and run it every time I log in a character: 'taskkill.exe /f /im awesomiumprocess.exe' Turbine is still "looking into lag issues" ;)

DDO's client (really all Turbine games) also has memory leak issues that come and go - every time you log in a character it gets worse, so restarts help for sure.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Have any of you managed a successful dragon? Did a few today with 90sec+ lag. And what's with dead people still getting kicked out of dragon?

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Oh! Yeah the Mabar one, hah :) Everywhere else seems to be a-ok.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I don't know :( Two of my three failed (one I died in from lag, one just failed also due to lag) and both only had gargoyles spawning twice, when the dragon was in the room, so people were on the ball. Or well, as far as I could tell since I had 90sec+ lag! The altars were invis in all rooms, so unless some of the other altars kept spawning tons it doesn't seem related. All three groups I was in (altar) lacked wizards, and all three had blade barriers (myself + a cleric) as the only spells and lots of melee. So particle effects were pretty low. Fog and dancing ball HAS added lag in previous years but there is something very very odd going on this time around.

The lag for the two instances that lagged horribly for me started when the dragon hit the room, and not before, so maybe it's a new(er) bug with a certain skill hitting the dragon? Maybe an epic skill. Have any of you lagged in under 20 instances?

Hehe, yeah my favorite thing to do is manage to keep a high number Delera's instance alive from peak times so no one else enters there, and then have my bf's account stand there spawning more stuff for me to kill. Groups still suck bigtime in there.

Noricae fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Oct 27, 2013

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Sounds like good old reliable Turbine network engineering then :/ My one successful run just happened (at midnight PST) so it's going to be load related. Or probably load + some infinite AI loop they managed to leave in somewhere.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Woo, a few more failed Mabars for me. It looks like gargoyle AI or spawn issues. They kept coming in my last room even without the levers ever being pulled (no central light).

My caster druid I basically treated like a wizard with a different main stat and spells, yep. She's only 14 but it plays similarly, with different buffs, a sort of useless pet, and spells that are not that group friendly (earthquake).

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
You should be able to pick from all trees - did you scroll over? There are extra enhancement trees to the right that are hidden.

edit: I say this because I asked people where the hell my bard's trees were because only barb and rogue showed up, haha.

Noricae fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 28, 2013

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Ouch, and I just ran one that took 2 keys (had to buy one from the store because it was an alt and all keys elsewhere even!) and didn't award me a signet. Two scales, no signet :( (No, not in bag, just not there). Blah. They have more issues than lag. I've lost four double-taken keys over the weekend.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

ded posted:

I have to say gently caress this event, +5 tome or not. I'm just going to not bother with it. The farming is very tedious and not fun in any way.
Yeah, this is really the best attitude. I haven't farmed at all either, just done instances, but it's particularly bad this time around even if you liked the event before. If you want anything, buy the motes for it if you need and buy keys and run the dragon, at best.

So apparently the timer for signets resets at 8pm EST? Not 3am or 6am est like everything else in the game?

I loved Crystal Cove, and that's a pretty unique mechanism that they need to add more to (especially maps and rewards), but Mabar is very much standard MMO crap in my DDO - great way of putting it :/

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

DemonMage posted:

Correct, 8pm eastern, midnight UTC. Same time daily challenge tokens reset.
Aha! Ok, I was wondering what timer it was on. Thanks :)

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I LOVE the Reign of Madness content (and want more Xoriat stuff) and would love to have a saga added for those sets of quests. I probably have items to farm there as well (r.i.p. no ML rings).

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I'd seriously trade in permanent access to half the epic destinies for a few more AP points, yeah.

Wraith form staff build sounds interesting and unique! I've been looking for a multiclass staff build and I was pretty let down by druids not being staff centric in the slightest.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Yeah, definitely neutral all the way unless a class requires one or the other (Lawful in this case). I learned that the hard way. Oh boy, 10 con lawful good rogue first life.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I almost did a wiz/monk staff TR, but decided that 12 wiz (I really wanted wraith and reconstruct) was too far to go (or 5monk+5rog was too much to give up rather), so dropped wizard altogether and went 13rog/6monk/1druid (empower heal). My bf however is doing a 16wiz/2monk/2 fvs I think that seems to be a good build (mana regen from favored soul is the idea I guess - I haven't looked at it that closely myself.)

I... really want a free Sireth on my rogue I guess ;)

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I think it's alphabetical, yeah?

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

DemonMage posted:

U20 release notes are out.
From the known issues:
NEW: Iconic Reincarnating currently does not require you to clear your Reincarnation Cache from previous Reincarnations. This will be changed in a future patch.

So still around for now it seems!
Yessssss. Racing to TR a crap character which is holding (and will be holding) a lot of random BtA items. Why, yes, I feel bad getting rid of my phiarlan dagger and similar items. Thank you, slow bug team. Please ignore the totally harmless and irrelevant epic destiny/twist bug for the foreseeable future.

Noricae fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 12, 2013

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
They can't possibly mean that and I assumed it was a grammar issue. I can see them doing that while intending only one set to be distributed. That's totally fine. :colbert:

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
The APs will be so tight on such a build. I'm not sure where I would fit kensei in at all (rog 13 has such nice things going for it). But the other three synergies are awesome (so far, at least until level 10).

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Yeah, definitely massive differences with and without Golden Guile. I wish improved deception came on a few more things because neck spots get a bit tight after level 18.

There are random things I want to take in other rogue and monk trees, and am having issues even planning out all the half-orc enhancements I'd want. I'd love to have kenshin but not without 5 more levels of AP points and a way to get improved evasion (and opportunist ideally too). I want some things in Ninja Spy too.

What I'd love is another hot bar that worked off of shift+ numbers 1-9. There's just no way to hit any monk moves, finishers, cleave/great cleave, stunning blow, and four staff skills in 5 seconds :(

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I can? ... And I didn't know about this for five years? Whoops... Thanks ;)

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Wow, it's like they've given up on fixing bugs and the way around it is to just throw loot at us. Wait, I mean, thanks Turbine!

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
That's a staff build? With all level ups into strength (or cha?). I would take two handed fighting (or cleave/etc) at level 1 and push toughness until way later, if at all. Get empower heal imo instead of force of personality (unless going cha, and even then this is an iffy feat for me personally) or toughness. Is GSF: enchantment needed for any prereq? I would drop both spell focus enchantments because the class is not a pure bard so DCs already suffer, bards are already lower than wizards in enchanting (sadly) and those two feats would be better spent on improved two handed fighting and greater two handed fighting + focus on fascination and not spell DCs.

I'd probably drop toughness unless going for epic toughness (or push this until lvl 18+), force of personality, both spell focuses, add the other two two handed fighting feats, add empower healing, maybe add extend. Right now it looks like you are half focused on spell DCs (which will be poor after level 10-12) and half on melee, and missing bits for either part to have a good time of it. The rest looks good imo :)

This was actually what I looked at doing a week ago when I planned a random staff TR build and decided it didn't have enough staff specific aspects, I could probably live without heals until 20, and I didn't need a bard life on that character ever.

All of what DemonMage said. My multiclass'd bard's DCs blew after gianthold or thereabouts and I hardly landed any holds. I think you'd need heighten as well for a DC/enchantment bard.

edit: OR else do 18/2 bard and focus on spells/casting DCs (with spell focuses, spell penetration and heighten). Maybe they will add an Eldritch bard type enhancement which will make multiclass enchanters workable ;D

edit2: And power attack. If going for str + staff + two handed fighting, take power attack, at level 1 maybe, or sub level 6 anyway. So handy.

Noricae fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 14, 2013

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Ouch, that sounds really painful to farm (at least solo). It took me less than two hours for a heart through challenges a few weeks ago, so not even ten hours for heroic hearts if you like/can stand challenges.

I'm kind of regretting going half-orc for my rog/monk/druid staff build. There aren't enough APs for more than three quarters of the enhancements I want to take, and I'd rather have healing amp and an extra feat from human, I think. (Want the wand and scroll mastery in season's herald and some shintao, and while I'd love sneak attacks I don't think that is happening either).

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Yep, easiest is Time is Money (at 5 min, no time bought) as a wizard (20 ideally); if you have a second wizard friend it's EXTREMELY easy and not bad to automate if you are both watching TV in the background for example. Definitely duller solo. It helps if you like hearing kobolds complain about toe insurance.

They were going to change this so that tokens of the twelve didn't convert to heroic hearts anymore, but I'm seriously glad they left that alone. I can TR a bit on my alts until they iron out any issues with epic TR (they have to, I can't imagine ever epic TRing all the destinies).

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Once or twice in the past the servers went down right around the time of a big Lotro expansion or update launch and this time around too. Related? maybe.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

DemonMage posted:

Improved Empower Healing is pretty solid if you can fit it in. Haste Boost I'd just get the tier 1 version from LD in the end. Improved Critical is pretty drat important because it helps trigger effects as well as extra damage (such as Advancing Blows and Level Drain).
Oh wow, I hadn't looked that closely at LD, but cutting haste boost from my enhancement fixes a lot of my AP issues. Are the THF feats that minor/irrelevant in general? Or just in the posted build they're relatively unimportant and for builds that can fit in multiple glancing blows enhancements they're better? This is the first THF build I've played past level 8 or so actually, so I was basing feats off of the many twf lives I've run in the past. (Also looking at an eldritch knight build next too so the discussion above and build is very interesting.)

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Yeah, I just automatically went "oh full sequence = totally essential" because I'm so used to twf - but that might free up some feats later on. Never messed with blitz at all (just stayed in Fury on ranger lives, and my rogue is this guy I just TRed into a staff build).

Wait, wait, you mean taking perfect TWF as a two handed fighter?

edit: OH. Geez, it has no prereq? I assumed it did. Thanks. Actually hadn't looked at it again (because why would I! I have a stick). (...)

Sounds like a well thought out feat, Turbine! ;)

Noricae fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Even on normal you will start running into quests that are challenging at around level 5/6 (maybe earlier - third part of Shan-to-kor especially). Puzzles, traps/trap damage, magic missile/lack of shield or nightshield, lack of 100% fortification start hitting you around level 6 and it ramps up a lot for ungeared players after that. Around level 10/11 a lack of deathblock item or ways to absorb beholder spells will ramp up difficulty some more. There are plenty of ways to make a suboptimal build too and that adds to the challenge/'fun.' I recommend going VIP and running things on hard at least for a while (as well as accessing harder difficulties).

Also normal and hard scale to the group, so groups smaller than 3 get a much easier time (2 full hirelings amp it up to the next level of difficulty, but if you can't heal yourself they make it quite a bit easier).

• Locked thread