Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Bubblyblubber posted:

A long time ago in undergrad, me and a couple of friends were cooking, and one of them managed to completely gently caress up his pinky finger with a vegetable peeler. Not the vertical knife kind, but the horizontal safety kind:

Nobody could understand how he'd skinned himself with it, so we just patched it up as well as we could and he sat out the rest of the prep drinking to get over the shame and pain.

Months later, the other friend started culinary school and was in the middle of the introductory lessons on safety. The instructor was showing tools and utensils and talking about safety concerns and mitigation for each, burners and knifes and boiling pots etc.

He then reaches to a vegetable peeler and goes "except for this one of course, what kind of idiot could hurt themselves with it haha" and my friend had to excuse herself a bit because she was ugly snort laughing.

I have hosed up with a cheese plane before. Holding the cheese with one hand, dragging the plane towards me, and when it gets close to the rind it just sort of gets a little stuck. I give it a little more force and it swipes at the bottom of my hand.

You can barely see it but there's still a little scar left on it. This is actually the second time I've done this. I also sliced a hunk off my thumb before lol.

The cheese was edam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Eat This Glob posted:

I was having my first Christmas with my new girlfriend this year, and she knocked it out of the park - crab boil with twice as much crab legs in shells as anyone could eat.

Her, her dad, and I took half an hour and just shelled it all after we ate so we'd have some crab ready to eat. I thought I'd whip up dinner tonight and get that (roughly 8 ounces) of crab cooked up with some homemade alfredo that she also made yesterday with some nice fresh but store bought pasta and some steamed broccoli.

A combination of her daughter showing me stuff on her phone coupled with a fairly bad sense of smell had me put in what I thought was the alfredo into the pan and then I tossed the crab in to heat up and finally put cooked pasta in and shaved a bunch of nice parm on top.

Turns out, what I thought was alfredo was a ranch dip made with sour cream which was in need of being thrown out. I cooked up a big pan full of garbage tonight and now I gotta figure something else out to eat. Probably my worst cock-up since a mandolin-induced thumb circumcision sent me to the ER

condolences. there's few feelings worse than wasting fresh picked crab. least you had a bunch of it the night before

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

JoshGuitar posted:

A while back I grilled a spatchpenised chicken, coating it liberally with cajun seasoning. Or so I thought. I like heat (within reason), so I used a good bit - a perfect amount for me, had it been cajun. With straight cayenne, it wasn't good. It wasn't inedible, but a lot of people would disagree.

lol. was it at least salted? literally just straight cayenne and nothing else?