Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
10 or 12 years ago I was cooking some rice in the microwave. 5 minutes on high, 30 on medium. Done it a thousand times. But when you forget the "medium" part, and you head out to the garage while it cooks, you come back to a smoke-filled house, a melted bowl, some black rice hotter than the surface of the sun, and a microwave that still works 10 years later in spite of the interior now being amber instead of white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
Depending on how the beef is packaged, you can thaw it pretty quickly in cold water. Ideally, in an appropriately sized pot sitting in the sink...fill it up, then reduce the flow to just a trickle. Something like a 1" thick steak will thaw in a half hour max. It works best on something vacuum packed, or it would work pretty well for ground beef in the tight "log" type packaging. I don't think I'd try it with a plastic wrapped foam deli tray unless you're sure water won't get in.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
Since capsaicin is oil soluble, one thing that works is to wash your hands really well, then rub cooking oil all over them, then wash them with soap and water again. Sometimes it takes a second application of oil and another washing, but it works WAY better than just repeatedly washing with soap.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Paprika ≠ cayenne

A while back I grilled a spatchpenised chicken, coating it liberally with cajun seasoning. Or so I thought. I like heat (within reason), so I used a good bit - a perfect amount for me, had it been cajun. With straight cayenne, it wasn't good. It wasn't inedible, but a lot of people would disagree.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Borsche69 posted:

lol. was it at least salted? literally just straight cayenne and nothing else?

I think I started off with salt, pepper, and a smaller amount of cajun that was actual cajun. Then when it was almost done I wanted to hit it with a good bit of cajun to finish, and grabbed the wrong jar. So it scorched the entire length of my digestive system, but at least it wasn't underseasoned :downs:.