Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

InternetJunky posted:

I got into birding through photography and can't be the only one.

This is me. :)

I got into photography because it's what my father did. Accidentally got some great shots of water fowl and I was hooked on getting the action shots. Thankfully it turned into a mix of birding and shooting. Now I don't mind dragging 20 pounds of gear to the middle of nowhere and not getting a shot if I at least got to see and check off some great bird finds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

InternetJunky posted:

His fly-by did net us a nice picture though:

Since you didn't post this in the bird photography thread I'm going to swoon at you here.

HHHHHNNNNNNGGGGGGG :fap:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Moon Potato posted:

Does this vary depending on whether it's breeding season? I'm used to seeing coots in places where they're a winter resident (Oakland and Arcata, California), and they don't seem any more aggressive than the other waterfowl. In fact, they seem a bit more timid than the Mallards, teals and wigeons when a hawk or falcon makes a pass over the area. Right now, there are large flocks of coots commingling pretty peacefully with everything else at Arcata Marsh.

We get them year round in Arizona and here they tend to act like Dork's post, complete and utter assholes that are a blast to watch. I'm not sure if it's much different outside of city parks and riparian parks but I notice them be mostly dicks to each other with minor kerfuffles with mallards/ring necks/etc sprinkled in.

I agree with the other goon that mentioned it, their kick fights are the best thing.

small-2439 by jankyangles, on Flickr