Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Kawalimus posted:

What do people think about stuff like using screech-owl tapes to scare out birds? It seems like more and more people are doing this. I find it kind of cheap and also discourteous when there are a bunch of other birders around. In the spring myself and a couple other guys were birding at a good warbler area and one of us thought we had a bay-breasted and I was getting a glimpse of a Cape May. Then someone right near us started doing a screech-owl tape and all the birds went bananas and we never got good looks. It was just annoying. But it seems like so many of the top birders do it. So I don't know.

This is a good question, and the folks who already posted explained the ethics situation really well. Playback is illegal in some parks and wilderness areas, so that's also a good thing to be mindful of.

I am a (very) amateur birder, and I get a thrill every time I get to see something thats new to me. Or if I see something that's rare in my area. Or if I get a decent picture.

BeastOfExmoor, I'd love to hear pishing technique! I kinda go "pffffffbt" which gets me nowhere. Maybe the birds think I showed up to entertain them.

Have a Virginia's Warbler butt from last spring. Saw a mystery warbler on Monday, fall is here!

El Paso County by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

Edit: Thanks for the thread, razz! I'm jealous of all you guys who are researching birds. My major professor wants me to work with a PhD student who will be doing landowner-related work with Atwater's Prairie Chicken and Lesser Prairie Chicken, but I have no idea how the logistics of that would work. Another option has something to do with the Golden Cheeked Warbler Recovery Credit System, which sounds pretty darned cool. I'm a total newbie to all of this!

Ghost Cactus fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

razz posted:

Are you in school right now? Prairie chicken work usually starts in the spring (Febuary or so) and trapping goes until early May, then various other things will happen throughout the summer, such as telemetry or capturing broods (newly hatched chicks). Then towards the end of fall and on into winter, it's basically just keeping up with telemetry and data entry. This is me assuming it's a capture study where the birds are collared with transmitters and/or have leg bands put on. This is how the many prairie-chicken studies my lab has done have always turned out.

If you want to do bird related field work, there are always summer tech positions. I hire 2 people every summer. Summer jobs are fairly plentiful (mostly summer field work helping a Masters or PhD student) and may be be easy to get depending on the job and your bird ID ability, or just general ability to work outside. For example you really only need to know how to identify one bird when working with Prairie Chickens ya know. So you don't have to be a "birder" to get bird jobs.

Yep, I'm in school, but I'm working too. (Somehow thought both would be possible...) Thank you for the info about when things happen with prairie chickens! That pretty much doubled my knowledge about what the heck I'd be doing.

I hope your ankle feels better soon! Summer Tanager = worth it. I've stood in the middle of the road with my camera for those before.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I was going to make a big effort post, but Razz pretty much nailed it.

All the videos I could find on youtube are poor, but here's one minus a really long awkward explanation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=LI4EwnWavUw#t=80

His sounds great! I end up going for the "kiss" noise through pursed lips because it seems to work better. A roadrunner was calling when I was sitting after work today - I love their weird humming/purring/rattling sound. Maybe I should try that.