Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Birds are pretty awesome, and I like them a lot. We mostly get juncos and chickadees in our yard though Stellar's jays and rufous (I think) hummingbirds pass through pretty frequently too. Probably the most memorable sighting in my yard though was about two years ago when I saw either a Cooper's hawk or a peregrine falcon going to town on a starling right in my front yard. It had just snowed, but after it flew off there was not even a speck of blood visible, just a small pile of feathers.

Is is ok to ask taxonomy-related questions here too, or is that beyond the scope of the thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I think that's fine- a big part of bird lists is keeping up with the taxonomic changes.

OK, maybe that answers my question actually. National Geographic had an article on cassowaries last month, and I was reading more about them on wikipedia. There seems to be some conflicting information about their classification though--the general general cassowary article puts them in the order Struthioniformes, but individual species articles (southern cassowary for instance) lists them as being in Casuariiformes. Is this just an instance of an order being split or of two orders being combined?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Bird fans, my wife and I just witnessed a raptor of some sort swoop in and nab the squirrel my wife had been watching across the street. I've looked through my field guides though, and I'm not sure what it was. It was mostly brown with some mottling on the back, with a prominent white patch on the neck and upper chest. It looked like some pictures of juvenile red tailed hawks, but would they still have juvenile plumage this late in the year?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

ExecuDork posted:

Where are you? Location is a big part of narrowing in on a bird ID.

Whoops, I forgot about that part. I live in Salem, Oregon.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Hello bird thread! I'm pretty sure I found some owl pellets in by backyard yesterday

I think owls are totally awesome animals, and I've never seen one in the wild that I can recall. Is there a good chance I might see it if I watch for it, or are they unlikely to visit the same areas in the short term?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Thanks for all the info. I found it right under a good sized dogwood, so there's definitely a good perch nearby, but not an especially dense one. I'll see if there's any concentration of bird poop around there and watch for owls in the evening. There's a couple bedroom windows nearby I could watch from, so I'll try to be stealthy and see what happens.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I've got a Nikon Monarch and have been pretty satisfied with it. Granted I mostly use it for astronomy and spying on the neighbors, but I guess you could use it to look at birds. I guess.

Cythereal posted:

Where are they from, anyway? I'd never heard of frogmouths before seeing that post, but they look very similar to the whipoorwills we have here in the eastern US.

Australia, naturally. They are literally Muppets.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I'm having trouble identifying a bird I saw in my yard just now. I thought it was a sparrow at first, but it had yellow markings on its front which I don't remember seeing before. Its beak wasn't sparrow-like either, more like a nuthatch or a warbler. It was perched on my suet feeder and had its back to me for the most part, which was a grayish-brown with lighter edges on the wing feathers. It would look around every few seconds though, and the chin and breast were yellow, but with a much lighter band separating them. Any idea what it might have been? I live in Western Oregon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Possibly a Yellow-rumped Warbler? I've got one that has claimed my suet cake and will chase away anything smaller than a woodpecker. They are really variable in appearance but also quite common in the winter in a lot of places. Look for a yellow rump patch when it flies.

Definitely possible. I feel like I would have noticed that patch since it was facing away from me, but there are plenty of pictures where it's almost entirely obscured by the wings. It never turned all the way around either, so it's possible that it just had yellow patches on the side rather than all the way across like I assumed. I'll keep watching, they're pretty common around here apparently, and that suet cake is pretty popular.