Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

InternetJunky posted:

Is there any chance my wife and I saw a yellow-billed magpie in Edmonton, Alberta?

We were driving yesterday and at a stop light we were both watching a magpie picking through the leaves. Initially we both thought he had a french fry or something in his mouth, but as we got closer and passed him in the car it became clear it was his beak colour and not a fry. We both blurted out "yellow-billed magpie!" at the same time. We rushed home to grab the camera but couldn't find him again. :(

I checked eBird and they seem pretty constrained to California.

That would be very unusual I think. Hopefully you can get pics! To be honest I've never thought about other field marks to separate yb magpie from a bb magpie that just ate a mustard packet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yellow-billed Magpie is pretty common around Davis as well.

Congrats on the county list. I saw a note from one of the local Audubon societies that someone just got their 200th species for each county in California (and were the 5th person to do this). That's probably equal parts travel, birding skill, and anal retentiveness.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Sounds awesome. I've just got Barn Owls in my neighborhood that sound like one of the ringwraiths is about to beat down my door at 2 in the morning, but I haven't gone out for little owls in a long time.

I wanted to mention that I'm starting to see sign-ups for Christmas Bird Count circles. Check with your local Audubon Society chapter to find out when the local counts are and how to get involved. This is a great way to meet other local birders and learn the good spots for winter birding in your area.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

InternetJunky posted:

I don't think I ever posted a link to my Gannet and Puffin shots from my summer trip to Newfoundland. If you're a birder this needs to be a bucket list trip, and if you're not a birder you'll leave as one.

Here's a link to a gallery of 50 shots from the trip (warning, some graphic images showing gull-on-Puffin violence): http://colquhoun.smugmug.com/Newfoundland

Thanks- those are fantastic. I know you posted some of those earlier- those puffin shots are something else- what a hard life. The gannets are great- I've seen plenty of them during the winter along the east coast but never seen their courtship displays.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'd agree with Snow Bunting, with an outside chance of Gray Jay or maybe Horned Lark or Lapland Longspur...

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
New CLO binocular ratings just came out.

They include a Price/Quality comparison that might be helpful to get a sense of how much your extra dollars are likely to get you. Feeling good about my Conquests :getin:

Nikon, Celestron, and Eagle Optics still look like great values.

e: unrelated, I've been doing weekly lunch bird walks at my campus. The first few were poorly attended due to extreme winds and hot weather, but we've had great conditions over the past month, and between 6 and 8 people for the past few weeks. A definite mix of people and experience levels- it's been pretty fun. Some undergraduates up through retired folks, some hot-shot ornithology grad students to a foreign postdoc who's getting lifers every time we go out. Got a few locally decent birds today- including Raven, Purple Finch, and Townsend's Warbler. Weirdest thing was a little ~ 1-2 week old duckling!

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 8, 2013

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'd guess White-crowned Sparrow on the sparrows and juvie Red-tailed Hawk on the hawk (too bad you can't get a number off the leg band!)

The sparrow on the right is throwing me a bit with the bright eye-line (kind of makes me think Chipping Sparrow), but as someone who lives in Northern California I'm pretty used to seeing that back pattern and wing bars.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

hey santa baby posted:

I have like 50 pictures of this guy, but all are too fuzzy to make out anything on his band, sadly.

And I'm itching to ebird the white-crowned sparrow but I don't want to be a streaker, or whatever it's called when you just call a bird because you want it to be that. Stringer?

For what it's worth I'm pretty certain about the left-hand sparrow. And White-crowned is super common in the bay area.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

lord funk posted:

Ahh the red tail. The most disappointing of hawks.

"Oooh! Hawk! There! It's.... a red tail." :geno:

I had a field tech once who did a master's thesis on Red-tails, and she wouldn't let me get away with this, not even once.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There's a pretty sweet warbler in Berkeley right now: Painted Redstart. Hope it stayed through the rain this week!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Central Florida makes me think Florida Scrub Jay, Limpkin, Crested Caracara, Wood Stork... Maybe there's an ebird hotspot that has all of those close to Tampa? Last time I was there I flew into Tampa, but didn't start birding until closer to Sanibel/Naples.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Looks like the Snowy Owls are mainly an Eastern/Great Lakes invasion so far. C'mon, send some out west!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

razz posted:

Last year my ornithology lab students did a comparative anatomy dissection. Basically they all dissected a different species that people had brought into us as roadkill/window strikes, etc. In various stages of decomposition.

Anyway I always try to salvage parts for the museum after the dissection and I was amazed at how large this Great Horned Owl's foot was compared to my hand. I mean, I know they're big birds but when you actually have one there in front of you, it's pretty incredible! That thing could literally kill you if it wanted to I bet.

Big and incredibly strong. I got to do some rehab flights with a great horned back in college and if it grabbed onto something you didn't want it to, it really took almost all your strength to pry its talons apart. Plus they have some weird ratchety thing with their foot tendons.

Also amazing: how 60 crows will instantly appear out of nowhere to harass the poor guy when you're trying to fly him in a field.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm doing the two closest to me (Oakland and Central Contra Costa County). First up is the Oakland circle- I'm on my same fav sub-territory where we got 115 species last year! I think word is getting around that it's a good one because there are so many people we are going to split up for most of the day (which probably means I'll see less, oh well). Someone's going to have a nice treat, since the Painted Redstart in Berkeley is still hanging out.

The following weekend is Contra Costa County- it's a much more mellow count (or at least our territory leader is not as hard core). Still we get into some neat places like some normally closed sanitary district land where we almost always see coyotes and cackling geese.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

InternetJunky posted:

Speaking of bird crimes, I was about to head a few hours south tomorrow to get a look at a short-eared owl that was hanging around in the same area for a few weeks now but someone posted a picture of a rough-legged hawk killing the owl this morning. :(

Does anyone know how common this type of behaviour is in roughies? There is a huge number of them in Alberta right now (compared to last year when I saw none) and I wonder if that's why I'm not seeing any Great Grays so far.

Never heard of that- I always think of rough-leggeds as dainty so that's pretty surprising. I took a quick look at the Birds of North America account and they don't mention anything like that. Rough-legged can be kleptoparasites of short-eared owls, and in europe at least sometimes set up winter territories they defend against other raptor species, but nothing like what you mention.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
One CBC down, one to go. The Oakland count is pretty crazy, there are just a TON of people who do it these days. The compilers split the count circle up into *29* different territories! Last year they had over 200 people, and this year it's closer to 250 (of course the amazing warm sunny weather didn't hurt either). Not only a high for participants, but probably for species too (~184 this year). It's funny because on our territory it felt like a down year, and we spent the whole day talking about "good weather bad birding", but turns out almost every group had unique birds and in the end the total was pretty high. (our team still had the most species~ 108 between all the observers in our territory). Nothing super noteworthy. Our best bird was probably Red Knot.

This was our last bird.

Wild Turkey- Sunset View Cemetery on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
We had great weather this past weekend for my second count. No super-interesting birds though. Nice looks at a river otter, some urban Wilson's Snipe, great view of a Sora (didn't even use a recording- it was just super cooperative). Wild Turkey and Hairy woodpecker were relatively unusual for our territory. It's been so dry that one of our favorite areas for things like pipits and snipe had virtually nothing. I didn't make it to the countdown dinner so not sure if anything else we saw was a good bird this year. Still a fun day.

Wilson's Snipe on Flickr

Hooded Merganser on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I suppose if you are in an urban/suburban area that already has a lot of feeders, adding a new feeder shouldn't have much of a downside, all else equal. You'd be helping birds that were already there, rather than changing the behavior of new birds. At least that's my guess.

The ABA has this to say:

quote:

3. Ensure that feeders, nest structures, and other artificial bird environments are safe.

3(a) Keep dispensers, water, and food clean, and free of decay or disease. It is important to feed birds continually during harsh weather.

3(b) Maintain and clean nest structures regularly.

3(c) If you are attracting birds to an area, ensure the birds are not exposed to predation from cats and other domestic animals, or dangers posed by artificial hazards.

So clean the feeders periodically to minimize the spread of disease. In particular watch for birds with their eyes swollen shut- there are various conjunctivitis or similar diseases can be transmissable. Also, birds with respiratory issues (lethargic, panting).

For other hazards, if you have a ton of feral cats around your house, probably best not to feed on the ground or have a feeder that spills seeds on the ground that sparrows, juncos or other ground-foraging birds might come in to. And keep an eye out for window-strikes. If you seem to have birds hitting your windows, maybe move the feeder to a different part of your property.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kawalimus posted:

I would just still call it "owling". Anytime owls are the main focus of a bird expedition it's owling. Like howling without the h.

I've only ever heard "owling"

Nice Florida list!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Well I'm starting my field season again in Wyoming- not very birdy now but there have been reports of a Gyrfalcon in the area so that's something...

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

InternetJunky posted:

Any chance an ID is possible from this picture?

Taken in Jasper, Alberta

I suspect Scaup but I don't know if it's possible to tell Lesser from Greater.

They are females Common Goldeneye- the brown head with bright yellow eye and white patches on the wings should be diagnostic here- Barrows can be tough to tell apart sometimes but should have broken up white patches along with yellow bill

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's that time of year again...

chg-Grouse in Driving Snow on Flickr

Sage-grouse have been lekking for 2 weeks now. These crazy fuckers were out in a horizontal driving snow. But here in the land of always winter, we don't have much else right now. I've seen bald and golden eagles, Rough-legged hawk, and heard our first spring migrant (Sage Sparrow).

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I hadn't seen that before- very cool. Super eerie to see an extinct species like that though.

Here's a video of the sage-grouse from this morning. Hopefully it won't end up being one of those artifacts.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Great-blue herons are fun! Now work on the birds in the background :)

quote:

Dark-eyed Junco. The coloration is overall kind of similar to the gnatcatcher, but it's shape and behavior are much closer to a sparrow instead of gnatcatcher which is a flitty little thing that waves it's long tail around.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Missed the common merg in your list- right you are!

Is any one good with falcons? A couple of folks on the crew saw a falcon take a sage-grouse yesterday morning. I'm torn between Prairie and Gyrfalcon (unfortunately the digiscoped images they had weren't the best). I've got a download link to a zip folder with a couple dozen photos (a couple of a rough-legged as well) here Photos may be :nms: for grouse bits

In favor of Prairie would be the head patterning and the relatively sparse streaking on the breast (I think).

In favor of Gyr would be not seeing obvious black armpits, and one side view photo I can kind of imagine the tail is quite long compared to the wings (but posture might be bringing the wingtips forward).

Size is tough- it gave the impression of being pretty big and hulking in some of the photos, but in the one picture it appears smaller than the rough-legged (although it is huddled over the grouse).

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 14, 2014

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The falcon actually returned yesterday (maybe looking for the rest of it's kill). The techs at the lek got zoomed-in video, and I just got a few screen shots. Definitely feel better about Gyrfalcon with these pics.

vlcsnap-2014-03-15-20h48m13s53 on Flickr

vlcsnap-2014-03-15-20h48m38s25 on Flickr

vlcsnap-2014-03-15-20h46m42s182 on Flickr

vlcsnap-2014-03-15-20h45m17s59 on Flickr

We didn't go out this morning, but I'm going tomorrow. It wouldn't be a lifer, but I'm going to be pretty stoked if it comes in when I actually have my camera ready.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Count Freebasie posted:

Okay, this poo poo is hard. Caught two pictures of this bird (Puerto Vallarta, Mexico) and the closest guess I can figure is a Gray-crowned Yellowthroat, but according to iBird there are like 35 birds here with yellow bellies. In the third pic, is that a juvenile of the same type or a different bird altogether?

I hate to keep hounding everyone here, but this is way harder to identify stuff than I thought. Just trying to learn :(

First 2 are some sort of Kingbird (Tropical/Couches/Cassins/Western or some other species).

The third one is something different. Can't really tell how big it is, but maybe a warbler, or if it is bigger bigger, either a tanager or some sort of oriole relative.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
We may have a new couple in the neighborhood...

Four owl eyes only on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You might check out Tufted Titmouse too- pretty often when there's a woodland bird song I can't identify it ends up being a titmouse.

e: new page-
Saw a new bird last week- Dusky Grouse.

Sinks Canyon Dusky Grouse 1628 on Flickr

Male grouse get all the attention, but I think female grouse are the bees knees.

On the same hike

Townsend's Solitaire
Sinks Canyon Solitaire 1627 on Flickr

Canyon Wren
Sinks Canyon Canyon Wren 1648 on Flickr

Sinks Canyon Canyon Wren 1649 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 7, 2014

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Nice! Yeah hard to beat spring in the east. Haven't been back this time of year for too long.

This won't be for a while, but I'm going to get to join a research team on the north slope of Alaska in late August. Not sure whether to expect any lifers but it's been 15 years since I've been to Alaska and I'll have a much better camera kit than I did then, so pretty psyched! Also, apparently I'll miss the worst of the mosquito season which is cool.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I might actually lean towards Cooper's on that hawk, but I'm not an expert.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Antifreeze Head posted:

Hello bird thread!

I have a bird that keeps flying into my house (like, not into the walls but through the door). I've set him up in a box with some holes, a couple of branches for perches and some water.

What the hell kind of bird is this?

That's a ground nesting warbler called an Ovenbird. Never heard of those going in people's houses! He'll probably want to migrate soon, and they migrate at night, so I'd get him outside ASAP (by the afternoon certainly) and he'll probably be OK.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rotten Cookies posted:

Hey bird nerds, can I get some help on an ID? My friend sent me this picture asking if I knew what sort of bird it was. It was taken in a backyard on Long Island, New York. The closest I've looked at is a Cassin's Vireo, but that would be way out of range. Nashville Warbler is close, too, but this bird has a more distinct white eye/face region and the white outline on the wing feathers (I don't know the proper term for this, lacing?) I asked him how it was behaving, but he didn't remember anything or take notice. Sorry if this isn't a lot to go on. I'm only just trying my hand at the bird thing, really. It could be a juvenile something, but I don't know.

(Sorry for the photo, it was taken through a window screen.)

Anyway, any help is appreciated! I can't wait to hear how easy this ID is and how I botched it up!

Looks pretty good for Blue-headed Vireo, which used to be same species as Cassin's. (the old Solitary vireo)

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Keep in mind that many ducks court and form pairs in winter, so maybe they are a little more amped up than you would expect.

Coots are pretty much the most interesting thing around during the breeding season. Bruce Lyon (UC Santa Cruz) and his students have done a ton of work on brood parasitism, parental favoritism and infanticide, etc.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like Merlin got you pretty close- maybe the location services was not working? Not bad actually. I've played with it a couple of times and it seemed to do pretty well with common stuff. I have iBird, Sibley, and Peterson's. At least iBird has an 'ID me' function but I've never played with it, and I'm not sure if it's in the free or lite version. Peterson's is not the first app I turn too but one nice feature is it retains the full-page plates with multiple species which can make it easier to compare. Also, it goes on super-sale periodically.

If you get into birding , it won't be too long before you'll get a sense of what general type of bird it is (warbler vs. vireo vs. sparrow), and then having a more traditional birding app is nice because you can jump right to those birds.

btw- Plumbeous Vireo is also party of the old Solitary Vireo complex, so it actually got split into Eastern, Rockies, and Western species.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Anyone played with the new ebird Targets? Seems like if you've got a reasonable approximation of your bird list into eBird, it would allow you to see what new birds would be easily seen if you travel to a new area.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Looks like a Red-shouldered Hawk to me.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Linedance posted:

Could use some help id'ing this guy:

kingbird sp1 by Ruth O Birds, on Flickr

We think he's a tropical kingbird, but he's definitely a vagrant if he is. When flycatching off his post, he didn't have the black tail or dark back like a western kingbird, and his tail was quite long. He was seen near one of the ranches on the way to the lighthouse at Point Reyes near San Francisco.

I think so. Couch's seems like a slight possibility as well but I don't see these often enough to know what descriptors like "more colorful" means. There's been a Tropical around Walnut Creek all winter, and there's usually one or two in the area most years.

There was a cooperative scissor-tailed flycatcher in Half-moon Bay- I'll be interested to see if it stayed through the storms. I've seen them before in Oklahoma and Texas, but it's been a while, and I'd love a photo.

Pablo Booth posted:

Chris Dodds runs a workshop to place called Saint Paul Island in Alaska that includes Tufted Puffins, although it's not exactly cheap. There's a small town on the island so you could try arranging your own trip.

I posted this in the other thread- St. Paul is pretty remote but has some nice birding and photography opportunities. Besides seabirds (including Red-legged Kittiwakes and Thick-billed Murres that can be hard to find elsewhere), there's blue-morph Arctic Foxes and a big fur-seal colony. If you are really into listing, it's a good place to try for vagrant species from Asia.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 3, 2014

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If anyone's looking for binoculars, B&H has a killer one-day deal on Zeiss Conquest 10x40's ($550). This is almost half off of binoculars that are already a great value. If you're really new to birding, I'd probably recommend 8x binoculars (and there are certainly cheaper options out there), but this is such a good deal I don't think you'd regret it. I have these bins and can wholeheartedly recommend them.

I'll just post this link if you have general binocular buying questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kenshin posted:

Please help with an ID birding thread, I cannot find this in my Sibley guide but it's probably because I don't know where to look, and neither Merlin Bird ID nor Backyard Bird Finder helped.

I took a picture of it this morning around 9:30am at Three Forks Natural Area in Snoqualmie, WA. It looked like around the size of a finch or large sparrow. This was the only shot I got of it before it flew off.

Not sure. Looks like Brewer's blackbird immature can have the light eye but juv/female type plumage. However, when looking for online images I noticed this photo that's a possible hybrid. The bird they mention was noticeably bigger than a brewer's, but with a smaller bill than great-tailed grackle.

Do you have any other photos?