Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Must be fall. There's usually a massive herd that flies form house to house, including my parents house, going around eating all the grubs before flying south and the ground freezes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Crows are like elephants, they never forget (or forgive), and they go a step further and tell their friends to hate you too.

http://news.discovery.com/animals/zoo-animals/angry-crows-memory-life-threatening-behavior-110628.htm

I'd be willing to bet your owl friend ate / attacked a crow or two

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Tardigrade posted:

The link says that it's bait for peregrine falcons. Probably left by a farmer or a hunter, they tend to see raptors as pests.

Don't raptors eat mice which actually are pests to their crops?

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

razz posted:

I ought to take a picture of this old ad I have framed in my house. It's a drawing of a Peregrine nailing a duck mid-flight and the heading is DUCK FOOD or something like that. If you go on to read the article, it's kind of a public service announcement for hunters telling them to shoot all hawks on sight because they're killing the ducks the hunters want to shoot. This was printed in popular hunting magazines and was once an acceptable form of "game management".

Would have liked to see the ads about the buffalo ruining train tracks for whatever back in the day.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

razz posted:

Here's the picture I mentioned above.

So how does one take a shotgun and shoot just the hawk w/o blowing away 3-4 other ducks in the process?

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

Hawks aren't always a swooping on a duck, you know. Sometimes they do other things, & then they may be shot safely.

I truly concerns me how these ducks didn't go extinct with all these predators about before guns and all. baffling...

Every time I'm in the woods and a hawk let's me see it, it's always chasing food. Last time is was a quail / grouse / pheasant thing. Sounded like a god danm helicopter when flying around. Very powerful wings on both the hawk and the mystery ground bird.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
This is January 12th? in Connecticut . Any ideas on what bird this is?

Sounds more like an insect than a bird

Sorry about the quality, its an iphone photo

Marshmallow Blue fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 20, 2014

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Looks like a Carolina Wren to me.

Google confirmed

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
I need some help IDing a duck.

It has a black head with a mohawk (black spiky messy) Like a
Female common merganser
but maybe a little longer.

It has a tan breast.

The back is black on the top of the back, with a white stripe and is grey near the wings. As I say top to bottom; Imagine it like a duck floating on water. instead of neck to tail.

Edit: Duck Duck Guess.jpg

DOUBLE EDIT: Is it a red breasted Merganser?

Marshmallow Blue fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 13, 2014