Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

I'll wade into this conversation as a nature photographer/cinematographer. I'm in the middle of starting up a nature documentary nonprofit in Humboldt county (way-northern coastal California), and am preparing for a bird-centric feature documentary about the Arcata Marsh and Wildlife Sanctuary. I came to this thread looking for resources on bird behavior, and I see that the Sibley Guide to Bird Life & Behavior was already recommended here - are there any other good books or online reference materials for behavior, or is that pretty much the best I can do short of consulting experts?

At the moment, I'm looking for an explanation of the white-tailed kites' behavior. The juveniles from the two breeding pairs in the immediate area started leaving the nest about 5 or 6 weeks ago, and have recently become proficient enough at hunting that their parents are no longer giving them voles and mice. The juveniles have been half-heartedly fighting with each other and trying to steal each other's food for some time, but in the past few days the parents have started attacking their own children. It's not as vicious as when the adults fight over territory during mating season - there's no locking claws and spiraling downward until one kite is hurled into the ground right now - but I've witnessed several claws-out passes at the juveniles and some mild contact. Are the adults trying to drive the juveniles off to find their own territory now? Are they trying to toughen up their children so they don't get bullied by the local harrier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Kawalimus posted:

There's also Pete Dunne's Essential Field Guide Companion, if that's the sort of thing you're looking for. It's got no pictures and is all based on behavior, cohabitants, habitat.

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. I'm approaching the nature documentary field from a background in film, and while I am working on building relationships with the local Audubon Society chapter, the local university and individual researchers, it helps to have abundant and detailed information at my fingertips when I want it.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

There's always Birds of North America Online. It's the "full" version of the All About Birds accounts. Requires subscription, but you can often get a year's access for joining your local Audubon society or the Cornell Lab of Ornithology. Also most university libraries have institutional subscriptions so if you have library access (or can borrow a friend's proxy), you can get it for free.
That looks pretty helpful, too. I'm already going to be making liberal use of the HSU library, so I'll see if they have a subscription.

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 6, 2013

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Yeah, doesn't Humboldt have a pretty steller wildlife department? You might approach someone there through the local Audubon and try to get an interview or something.

Oh and does the Arcata marsh host white-tails year round? We get them periodically in Oregon and I've never managed to find one here. I do drive through California fairly regularly, though, and that would make a nice stop...

Yes, HSU is great with forestry/zoology/etc. Once all the organizational documents are in place for the nonprofit, I'm going to be approaching the head of their biological sciences department about collaborating on projects and recruiting for our board of directors (right now we have directors with a background in the arts and in environmental law/policy, but nobody specializing directly in the sciences).

I'm pretty sure the kites stay at Arcata Marsh year-round. I've been filming there off and on since January, and they've been there the whole time. There are two breeding pairs hunting there this year, although one of them nested on private property, so they've been a bit harder to observe. I also see kites hunting in the fields all around Humboldt Bay pretty frequently, so this whole general area is a great place to see them. I have an extra bedroom in which I'm happy to host serious photographers/researchers/nature enthusiasts when my second cameraman isn't staying over, so feel free to PM me before you head down next time (BeastOfExmoor too, if you ever head down this way).

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 7, 2013

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Pablo Bluth posted:

The state of birds of prey in the north of England is all rather depressing
http://raptorpolitics.org.uk/2013/09/17/bowland-raptors-the-final-solution/

That's an awful shame. Does England have anything comparable to the endangered species act that could be invoked if they have a change in government?

The peregrines are starting to show up in numbers in my stretch of Northern California now, and I'm getting a close look at them for the first time. They really are fantastic birds.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

The documentary nonprofit I mentioned earlier is starting to come together, and we've taken the wraps off our first major project, a bird-centric feature about the Arcata Marsh and Wildlife Sanctuary:
https://vimeo.com/78197694

As part of this project, we're trying to reach out to other bird and wildlife enthusiasts and share their experiences with wetlands restoration projects and wildlife-friendly sustainable infrastructure projects on the West coast*. If there's a place like that you'd like to see us cover, feel free to PM me or drop me a line at info "at" redwoodplanet "dot" org.

*I'd love to cover things outside our region too, but we're trying to keep budgets as small as possible while we get off the ground.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

I'm pretty ignorant about birding/wildlife in the south, but I'm going to be visiting Austin, TX later this week and am debating whether to take my camera gear. Is there anything really worth seeing within day-trip range of the city this time of year?

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Thanks, Pablo. If I can figure out a way to get a Sigma 120-300 in my carry-on, I'll check that out.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

I might actually lean towards Cooper's on that hawk, but I'm not an expert.
That's my guess too, going by the shape of the head and the position of the eyes. The ones I've seen in my area have been pretty easy to differentiate, but there is some overlap in size and plumage can be very similar between the two. This is a helpful guide: http://feederwatch.org/learn/tricky-bird-ids/coopers-hawk-and-sharp-shinned-hawk/

There's a small flock of Wilson's Phalaropes migrating through my area now, which is a lifer for me. I'm hoping for some good filming conditions before they leave town, but it looks like it's going to be mostly overcast for the next week.

phalarope-tongue by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

phalarope-nibble by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Does this vary depending on whether it's breeding season? I'm used to seeing coots in places where they're a winter resident (Oakland and Arcata, California), and they don't seem any more aggressive than the other waterfowl. In fact, they seem a bit more timid than the Mallards, teals and wigeons when a hawk or falcon makes a pass over the area. Right now, there are large flocks of coots commingling pretty peacefully with everything else at Arcata Marsh.

The exception to that was when a small group of Wood Ducks came though the marsh and were being pretty aggressive toward the other waterfowl. Here's the video that kicked the discussion off:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsiviuJFxQM

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

Maybe Wood Ducks are just always dickheads?
That could be the case. They usually just stop by my area for a day or two during their migration, so I don't get to really observe them for more than an afternoon here and there. Most of what I know about them comes from this documentary, and it certainly looks like they're jerks to each other during their breeding season.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Linedance posted:

We spent half the day in Arcata Marsh today, what an amazing birding spot!
Now I know how Moon Potato gets all his incredible photos! It's definitely worth the drive from wherever you're at.
We even saw the white tailed kite! Beautiful bird. Tomorrow we're either going to hit Point Reyes or San Pablo Bay, depending on what the weather is doing.

Hah, I was just coming here to tell you that the kites have started roosting in the marsh again. I'm glad you got to see one. Thanks for the compliments!

If anyone else is planning a trip, I'm happy to try to help people find their wish list of birds at Arcata Marsh or other hotspots in the area.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

That's great. I didn't get as clear a look at it, but I saw that happen with a Long-billed Curlew on Humboldt Bay. Two peregrines were ganging up on it, and its only way to escape was taking a swim.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Kenshin posted:

I ran across what I think is a female merlin here in Seattle in the Magnolia neighborhood, near Discovery Park. I'm sure about the merlin part, but it's really hard to tell if it is a female or male:

Didn't post it in the photography thread because it's a heavily cropped image (she was in a 25+ meter tree). Was a little surprised to see her instead of one of the local (to that neighborhood) red-tailed hawks, but I guess they do winter down here.

It looks grey-ish to me, which makes me think it's a male (if it's a Pacific morph). Merlins get tricky because some areas are visited by multiple morphs, so it may be worth asking your local Audubon group if nobody here is a Merlin savant.

It's finally getting cold enough up north that Short-eared Owls are visiting the Humboldt Bay area. Arcata Bottoms is chock full of them right now. They like to spend the late afternoon quarreling with the other raptors there and with each other.

owl-cover by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

owls-in-flight by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

seo-dive by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Edit: I saw this guy off the coast near Freshwater Lagoon today as the sunlight was fading. I'm thinking juvenile Surf Scoter or White-winged Scoter, but I'm not finding photos of either that are really a spot-on match. Anyone have a better guess than me?

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 2, 2015

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Linedance posted:

Looks like a female surf scoter to me, though possibly a juvenile. If you lightened the exposure some to bring out any markings around the back of the head and beak, it might make it easier. As it is though, with the head shape and beak shape, plus the white patch on the back and possibly a little white around the base of the beak, I think female surf scoter is closest.
I think you're right. I'm used to seeing the white nape patch on females, but apparently not all of them have it. Those shots are already lightened in post, unfortunately - the sun was just about over the horizon when I found that scoter.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

For the second winter in a row, a lone Long-eared Owl has settled in Arcata Bottoms. I missed seeing it last year, so I went to stake out the grove of trees where it had been spotted yesterday evening. It tried to come out and hunt while the sun was still out a couple times, but the White-tailed Kites there chased it away. After the kites roosted for the evening, it was able to come out and hunt without being harassed, although the light was pretty much gone then and filming became difficult.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe7AbRzAxE8

I was working with pretty long shutter speeds to be able to film after the sun went down, but I was able to pull out a couple frames that look okay as stills.

long-eared-owl by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 25, 2015

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Nice! Long-eared is probably my nemesis bird right now. Probably the most broadly distributed NA bird that I haven't seen. I haven't been chasing it but the few times I've gone to a reported roost site I've missed it.

Seeing your flight vid I forget how similar they actually are to short-eared.
They're very hard to tell apart from a distance, since the Long-eared Owls fold their ear tufts back while in flight and their plumage is fairly similar overall. Since I was filming in an area that's riddled with Short-eared Owls, I didn't know what I was looking at until it flew directly at me for a second or so. I'm going to do some poking around to see if I can find a spot with a view of its roost without trespassing on the adjacent farm, sinking into an alluvial wetland or disturbing the kites on their roost.

Edit: it looks like it's roosting pretty close to where the kites have a nest and where the wildlife area meets the adjacent farm. I don't think I'm going to get a clear look at it in the daytime without trespassing or upsetting the kites. It doesn't seem to mind approaching humans when it's out hunting, though - it came extraordinarily close to me last night.

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 29, 2015

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

EPICAC posted:

Does any one have recommendations for good birding spots in San Jose, CA? We're visiting my in-laws in a couple of weeks. They live on the south side of the city, near the intersection of 87 & 85. I can get some good yard birds at my mother-in-law's feeders. Other than that, in the past I've ridden a bike along Guadalupe Creek to Almaden Lake Park, and along the bike trails on Alamitos Creek.

The Palo Alto Baylands should be excellent this time of year. I've been out there a few times, and it's alway full of bird life. Coyote Hills Regional Park over by Fremont looks like a pretty phenomenal hotspot too, but I haven't explored it myself. I'll be checking it out when I visit the Bay Area next month, but I guess that won't be in time to give you a trip report.

We're getting occasional visits from the first Northern Saw-whet Owl to be documented at Arcata marsh since 2008. The Anna's Hummingbirds kept waking it up when I staked out its roost for an afternoon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41sOfGPXzQ4

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Linedance posted:

how do people even find these guys? I've been to a bunch of places where they supposedly are resident and roosting, and have never seen one. Is it a matter of meticulously digging through every pine tree in the whole area and hoping to get lucky? Is there some species of owl whisperer birder that just knows where to look, and once found their location spreads through word of mouth? If it weren't for photographic evidence, I'd be suspicious there even is such a thing as a saw-whet owl.
This one was spotted by chance during a songbird survey by the Humboldt State University advanced ornithology class. It was perched just a few feet from a trail, so I guess that helped, even though it was pretty well concealed by the branches.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

There are two newly-hatched poofs in the Humboldt Bay eagle nest this weekend. Eaglet #1 hatched yesterday, and #2 emerged this morning.

There's a live stream from the nest cam here:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/humboldt-bay-eagle-cam

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Oh neat, I didn't know Golden Eagle chicks were white. I'm used to seeing the little grey bobbleheads in Bald Eagle nests.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Yep, that's a female Merlin. The only other North American raptor that gets white eyebrows like that is the Broad-winged Hawk, and that's not a Broad-winged Hawk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Oh my god, that gannetsplosion is mind-boggling.

Getting a close-up look at a male Wood Duck has been on my to-do list for a long time. I noticed that one of my local friends posted a picture of one in Sequoia Park's duck pond a few days ago, so I went by to check it out and found out that there's a whole family of them there.

wood-duck-drake1 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

duckling-pounce by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

duck-poofs by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

woodduck-mother-child by Redwood Planet, on Flickr