Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Went owling this morning up in the foothills of the Cascades hoping to find a Saw-Whet. It was a bonanaza. Of the five stops, 4 had birds respond. The last stop I had two Saw-Whet's and a Northern Pygmy Owl respond. Sadly none of them perched in view of a flashlight, but the full moon gave me pretty good looks at them flying. I had a couple pass within a foot of my head and one actually made me duck. Owling is loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I pulled up eBird records to point out all the great winter birds you get out there, but it is pretty meager. I can at least look forward to watching multiple Short-Eared Owls hunting in broad daylight if I drive to the right place.

The fact that the Football Funhouse had 20 times as many birding related posts today as this thread did is pretty funny.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

If you like Harriers you'll love Short-Eared Owls. Similar hunting style But even more elegant.

Last year was great for finches here as well. I stepped out on my parents back porch on Christmas morning and there were three Common Redpolls mixed in a flock of Pine Siskins.

Eurasian Wigeons are much more common here as well. My parents have a couple that have wintered in their subdivision every year.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Insanite posted:

So, I just heard a great bird commotion from my home office and naturally grabbed my camera that is not set up for shootin' birds. As a result, the photos aren't quite perfect.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mxdv/sets/72157637446053086/with/10742950515/

I *think* that these were just grackles doing whatever it is grackles do, but I noticed some speckled birds in there too that I'm not familiar with. Are they female/juvenile grackles? Birds that the grackles were messing with? Are there any grackles in there at all? I don't know much.

Looks like Common Grackles and European Starlings, from what I can tell. The Starlings are the speckled birds. I wouldn't be shocked if there was another species mixed in since blackbirds tend to mix together we these species as well, but I don't see any in the photos. Starlings can make crazy noises and are masters of mimicry. Grackles aren't exactly silent either.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I'd go with White-Crowned Sparrow as well. My reaction was the same as BetterLekNextTime. Confusing head, but the body screamed WC to me. Winter sparrows can be rough.

Juvenile Red-Tailed Hawks always throw me. They look just different enough to be something else, but not quite right for anything else.

Every year I forget how miserable it is in Seattle after daylight savings time ends in the fall. Sun now rises at 7:00am sets at 4:40pm, which means there's nearly no time for birding before work or after work. Add to that the constant drizzle and it's been pretty lame birding lately. I did get signed up for two local CBC's. Going to spend 7 hours on a boat in Puget Sound on one of them. Should be interesting.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

hey santa baby posted:

And I'm itching to ebird the white-crowned sparrow but I don't want to be a streaker, or whatever it's called when you just call a bird because you want it to be that. Stringer?

Yes, "stringer." There's a decent blog post on the term here. I live a county over from what I suspect is the best known stringer in North America. He has never seen a accipiter that isn't a Northern Goshawk. This would be bad enough, but he spends his free time going around and posting comments on such bullshit ID's.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

^ It might be harder in a place that actually has multiple Buteo species that can be seen in the summer, but I haven't had any issue seperating Swainson's from Red-Tailed Hawks in the field. In flight they have longer, thinner, more pointy wings.

Here's a great sneak preview of the Sibley Guide to Birds 2nd edition. I'm unreasonably excited about this.

Kawalimus, I know you're bummed about all your migrants being gone, but just to put things in perspective I just added my 12th warbler to my state list here in Washington. Yes, I had to chase a rarity to find twelve species of Warblers in my home state in my lifetime. That rare warbler that I had to chase three times before I found it? A Palm Warbler.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

When I was there 18 months ago (in June) I really enjoyed Lettuce Lake Park near Tampa, but I suspect there's plenty of places just as good a lot closer to where you're going to be. I know you say you don't care, but the fact that you're just a few weeks too early to see a Swallow-Tailed Kite breaks my heart.

Lurking in the NFL N/V thread it looks like you're going to chase the MacGillivray's that's out that way? Good luck, if so.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Anyone else received a copy of the BTO's Britain & Ireland Bird Atlas? It's half a dead tree!

British birding is kind of incredible to me because it's so much more popular there then here. The fact that there's enough demand to create a book like that. Many states in the US have similar titles, but they're way less inclusive and hard to keep in print. We also still have lots of "mystery birds" whose breeding locations and occurrence is not well known. Washington's local guides contain lots of phrases like, "Probably occurs near the cascade crest."

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

RustedChrome posted:

I'm spending 4 days birding in the Rio Grande Valley at the very southern tip of Texas. I was here for a day about 5 years ago and I always wanted to return. I hit a couple of "World Birding Center" spots today and bagged 6 lifers already! None of those are even uncommon birds around here.

Amazon Kingfisher wasn't day 1, stop 1 for you? I would love to visit that area sometime. I worked a week in San Antonio when I first started birding and had a free weekend, but pissed it away because I didn't really know where to go or what to look for. I think my lifers were Field Sparrow and Orange-Crowned Warbler, which is especially laughable since I get them every year in my yard now that I know to check my Hawthorne tree every day in May.

Kawalimus posted:

I've looked at Ebird and pretty much know where I am going to go. I was just wondering if anyone had any more "secret"-ish ideas. But like I said really only I can plan this because I have my own little weighted scale. And things could change for example if there's a Whooping Crane occurring nearby I will probably go after it.

Limpkin I actually saw around Disney World when I was a kid. This is one of what I call my "lost birds". Birds I saw when I was a kid I don't have a date for and haven't seen since so they're not on my Ebird life list. I look forward to recovering this lost bird when I go there. Crested Caracara I thought would be easy but according to ebird research it's probably unlikely. Wood Stork I've seen before in pretty big numbers at this place called Huntington Beach in SC. But I will be happy to see them again. Snail Kite is possible, if maybe unlikely. Hope to find a Purple Gallinule or three. Florida Scrub-Jay is on my list for sure. Bachman's Sparrow if one is occurring.

If I do this right I can bag a ton of life birds. I just gotta be careful and not overreach or stress about certain ones.

It can be totally overwhelming to hit a place with a ton of birds to target. When I was at the Salton Sea for a day in January I had printouts of ebird maps and listserv messages. I ended up completely missing most of the endemic birds (All the Thrashers, Black Tailed Gnatcatcher) and chasing a lot of "common" birds with my time, which I regret. Common birds being species that I could get in my state with a little work and patience. I spent a lot of time looking for an American Redstart, for instance, because those are rare as poo poo where I live. I did find a male Vermilion Flycatcher at that spot, a lifer as well, so not exactly something I should complain about.

I also have a bunch of "lost birds" from when I went to Hawaii a few years ago. Nene, some sort of tropicbird, whatever their Frigatebird is over there, as well as at least one endemic and a bunch of introduced species have never made it on my list.

Looks like the east coast is getting Snowy Owls this year. We've had them in incredible numbers the last two years, so I can't complain, but it is a little sad to not have them hanging around this year as well.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Pablo Bluth posted:

Well, a combination of popularity and overpopulation. It's easier to do a systematic search when you have almost nothing that approaches wilderness any more. I'd trade the bird atlas for a Yellowstone.

Indeed. Occasionally I get jealous of places (or even neighboring counties) with higher populations and a few really well known birding spots that end up getting a high proportion of rare birds, but when you think about it it's the same as saying that I wish they'd build my area up so there was practically no habitat left and the birds only had one or two parks to go to.

Kawalimus posted:

Definitely on the lookout for the Snowy Owl sightings. I wonder will this go on through the winter? If so I won't rush it. I'm invited on an eastern shore CBC late next month so hopefully they're still around then. But hopefully one comes even closer than that.

Regarding your "lost birds", you can get them on your ebird list if you have any dates of when you were there. I actually "recovered" a bunch of these by finding records of the dates of past trips and listing sightings as incidentals(which is part of what that selection is supposed to be used for). So I was able to put in for those past dates and places what I saw. You could get your Nene on there if you can remember/find the dates and remember where you saw the bird on that day.

I saw my MacGillivray's today!! It was so cooperative it was unbelievable!!

Snowy Owls out on the west coast have typically found spots they like and stayed there. Typically these have been beaches or large open agricultural areas, but we had a couple that spent a few months roosting on peoples houses a few miles from downtown Seattle. If there are any somewhat close I'd probably jump on it, but I don't know that I'd cancel plans to drive a few hours to go see one.

Congrats on the MacGillivray's!

I can probably figure out the dates (or come really close), but I didn't even have binoculars, much less a field guide, so a lot of the birds I saw are like, "I was driving by a large field and there was some sort of shorebird there. Looking at eBird I'm guessing it was a Pacific Golden Plover." Seems like a crappy way to get a lifer. I could probably go through and add the birds I saw close and well like the Red-Crested Cardinal, Common Myna, or this Nene that let me photograph it with a 50mm lens:

Nene by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

razz posted:

The Blue Jays come to the logs and stuff their gullets completely full with sunflower seeds. There will be 8-10 there at a time. One has a bright white streak on his belly and seems to be the "leader". They will also make alarm calls and imitate a red-tailed hawk to scare the other birds off, then fly right down and steal all the seeds. Smart little bastards! I don't know where they go with the seeds but they're stashing them somewhere far away.

Interesting. Sellers Jays do this impression as well, but I've never seen them use it in this manner. When the Jays come to the feeder everyone else gets out of the way.

I've been really enjoying my feeders this fall as well. We've had the best diversity I can remember and high counts of almost everything. I counted 15+ Bushtits on my suet at once last week :3:

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

There have been a couple Snowy Owls in Washington this week but nothing like the last couple of years.

I put together this gig of sightings in November for the last eight years to show the incredible difference there is between years and regions:
http://i.imgur.com/93OEG6K.gif

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

RustedChrome posted:

I felt like that when I first saw Pygmy owls in Mexico.

Seriously. Screech Owls are practically massive compared to Pygmy-Owls and Saw-Whet Owls.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

lord funk posted:

Speaking of, who here does their local Christmas count?

I'm doing a couple local ones the next two Saturdays. Assuming the weather isn't bad, I'll spend this week on a small boat out in Puget Sound doing a marine count. Should be pretty cool, but it's been in the 20's during the day this week so right now it sounds pretty miserable.

The next Saturday I'm doing my neighborhood. I'm actually lead for my area, so we'll see how that goes. It's literally the most boring zone in the entire circle. Like, "I hope we get Mallard," kind of boring.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Kawalimus posted:

Dipping on chases really pisses the poo poo out of me sometimes. I wanted so bad to see this Rough-legged Hawk but it went away just a couple hours before I got up to see it this morning. Then I missed the nearby Sandhill Cranes too.

Just a part of birding. But the worst part!!

Nearly every time I chase a bird I end up wondering why I did it. If I see the bird, especially if it's one I've seen before and not something spectacularly cool, it's like, "Yep, it's still there." If I dip then I feel like I just wasted my time. I've been trying to spend more time trying to find my own rarities rather than chase other's. I'm not exactly finding a lot mega rare birds for the region, but I've found a surprising amount of county and regional rarities this year.

razz posted:

Here's the picture I mentioned above.

That's kind of nauseating. In my experience modern hunters in the US tend to be in awe of raptors rather than viewing them as the enemy. There's certainly still dipshits around that want to shoot everything that moves, but they're few and far between.

I did my second CBC on Saturday. I was the area lead for probably the least productive spot in the circle, which happens to be the area around my house. Pretty terrible weather, unfortunately, but it was interesting to see what I could turn up within a few miles of the house when I had to.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

The ABA area big year record has been broken:
http://blog.aba.org/2013/12/neil-hayward-does-it.html

In less momentous news, I am five species short of tying my county's big year record (234, I'm at 229) after finally picking up Sandhill Crane on Thursday. I knew there were three chaseable, but hard to get, species probably in the county (Long-Eared Owl, Great Egret, and Prairie Falcon) but I haven't had time to go out due to a big project at work and holiday's with a five month old. No big deal until yesterday someone turned up a Harris's Sparrow and a probable Gyrfalcon in the county. There's also a Swamp Sparrow that was seen in a sewer treatment area during a recent CBC, but it's off limits to me. Life was so much easier to go to work when the chances of getting the record were almost nill. I must keep focusing on the fact that my goal was to get 202 species when I started and anything above 210 seemed impossible.

edit:

Kawalimus posted:

Speaking of which this past weekend I did a CBC on the eastern shore and I SAW AN ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER!!! My first for the east. That brings my warbler total for this year to 36 when you include the MacGillivray's. I'd have a perfect year in MD if I had made it out to western MD to find Golden-winged. God drat it!

Wait, Orange-Crowned Warblers are hard to find somewhere? I'm irrationally angry that you managed to get to 35 Warblers in a freaking year without seeing an Orange-Crowned. Whenever my wife starts talking about trips we should take every idea goes through a warbler filter. Her family really wants us to to Houston in May next year and I completely rejected it. If it was April and I could've gotten down to High Island I would have been 100% for it.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 29, 2013

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

Assuming budget wasn't a big issue, if you had to get a birding scope that would also working well when digiscoping, what would you pick?

Zeiss Photoscope is possibly the answer if you actually meant budget wasn't a big issue.

Honestly, I don't really get the whole digiscoping thing. It can certainly come in handy in a pinch for documenting rarities, but in general I think they turn out poor photos of any bird you need a scope for. You can certainly sit in your backyard and get ok photos of birds at your feeders with one, but you could do that even better with a DSLR and a cheap lens. Superzooms seem like they might be a better solution for a cheapish way to document distnat rarities, etc. and they are way less awkward than holding a P&S/Phone up to your camera. I'm certainly not an expert, however, so feel free to show me I'm wrong.

Scope talk reminds me that I bought myself a new scope for Christmas. Celestron Regal M2 80mm. I've only had it out a couple times, but it's a nice upgrade from my previous scope. It takes standard 1.25" telescope eyepieces so you can get a nice fixed wide-angle eyepiece really inexpensively.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Knockknees posted:

What is the best book for helping me differentiate raptors in the Midwest (eg. OH, IN, IL, WI). I'm still a beginner, but I love love love detail, especially tips like where its wings come in relation to its tail when perching, behavior, wing flapping, silhouettes, and all that jazz.

I already have Sibley's Guide to NA but I'd love a raptor or hawk specific book.

Hawks In Flight 2nd Edition is the one I've heard recommended most frequently. The Crossley ID Guide: Raptors also looks pretty interesting.

Tardigrade posted:

Anyone have any good experiences owling? It sounded like a terrible hazing ritual at first - midnight, cold, rainy, nothing in sight - but somehow it all feels justified when you finally see (and hear) that screech owl. So worth it.

Yes, not so much anymore now that I have a baby that needs to be put to bed at a reasonable hour, but I owled a lot last year. My highlight was probably this most recent October when I went out to an area I suspected would be a good spot for Northern Saw-Whet Owls during their fall migration. I turned up one on the very first spot, and proceeded to locate 3-4 more in the next couple hours before sunrise. I never did get one in the flashlight beam, but I had several fly within feet of my face. FWIW, I read a few species accounts in Birds of North America that mentioned the species being most active in the four hours before sunrise. I've had much better luck at those times than just after sunset. I also completely avoid crappy weather after a local owl guy told me he almost never gets responses when it's raining.

Added another rarity to my county list today: Northern Mockingbird. Yep, everything's rare somewhere..

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

I went birding at a power station cooling pond yesterday. It's a great location because the waters don't freeze so thousands of waterfowl overwinter there. I even saw a bird that triggered a rare bird alert (Ring-necked Duck) which was a first for me.

Just curious about these guys though:

They were quite far out so this is a heavy crop. Is it an American Wigeon?

Looks like a Gadwall to me. I always think they're female Wigeon at first because the head shape is so similar.

Congrats on the RBA. That's basically my favorite thing about birding.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I bird a lot of wildlife areas that are managed for pheasant and duck hunting. 8 months out of the year you basically have the place to yourself, but the day hunting season starts it can get complicated. 3/4 of people are pretty cool as long as you are cool back and don't act like you're from PETA, but it gets heated from time to time. On Tuesday I had a guy tell me what I was doing was against the law because I was harassing the hunters ducks. What was I doing? I was walking a row of trees < 100 yards from the parking lot looking at sparrows. He informed me that nobody except duck hunters were supposed to be here at this time of year (not true) and that anyone could call the the wardens on me at any point. I didn't feel like arguing, but I have read the applicable laws and he's 100% wrong so I just said, "thanks for the info" and he moved on. The hunter thing is always complicated by the fact that they always have a visible gun and assume you don't.

My rule of thumb is always try to calm people down by trying to be the coolest person ever. I'm basically doing the least invasive thing ever so I just try to act like it. Try to find some common ground or give someone info that they find interesting. Some fact like, "The Great Gray Owl is the largest owl in the world and is found not only in America, but also in Europe and northern Asia" is pretty fascinating. Most people don't know which birds are found around them and really don't know where they come from. Any time I'm chasing a rarity I make a point to tell people that talk to me where the bird "should" be and where it migrates from. I don't think people realize how many birds start out in South America and end up in their own backyards.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Marshmallow Blue posted:

This is January 12th? in Connecticut . Any ideas on what bird this is?

Sounds more like an insect than a bird

Sorry about the quality, its an iphone photo

Looks like a Carolina Wren to me.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

I'll be travelling in Austria for a little bit in May this year, and I plan to visit as many of their 6 national parks as I can (schedule hasn't been worked out yet, so I might or might not have time to hit them all). Anyway, I'm hoping for a recommendation for a good European Bird Guide.

I found Birds of Europe, 2nd Edition on Amazon, and not much else. Reviews are very positive, but I was hoping for an opinion from the Goon Hivemind.

That's what you should buy. It's excellent. In Europe it's sold add Collins Bird Guide and is by far the dominant guide as far as I know. I own a copy just for fun and I've never even been to Europe.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I just got a copy of the newly released Rare Birds of North America. Wow! Well worth tracking down if you have even a passing interest in North American rarities. The paintings are perfect. They're the best bird paintings I've ever seen and considering the high standards already set by the Sibley guide and the Collins guide that's saying a lot. The text is also excellent. I usually feel like Steve Howell is a little too verbose and dry with his text (the Peterson Guide to Gulls almost never fails to put me to sleep within two paragraphs), but he's done a really good job with this guide. One of the more interesting things is they examine existing records for rare species and postulate the means by which the birds ended up in North America.

I've heard rumors that this team is working on a standard North American field guide which is something I'm really looking forward to if it happens.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Looks right for a male Red-Breast Merganser to me.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

FWIW, owling is the term used in Washington state as well.

Kawalimus, that was an awesome trip. Swallow-Tailed Kites are my favorite bird, but I've only seen them a couple times in Florida and once as a flyover when I was driving down the freeway in Louisiana.

My wife and I just booked a trip to Louisiana, but unfortunately its in November so I unless work sends me to the east coast at some point this spring it looks like I still won't get to see any east coast warblers :(

I'm going to chase Red-Cockaded there though.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

El Perkele posted:

Ok, good. Translating such concepts is difficult, because the jargons seem to be completely autochthonic and many terms don't even seem to exist outside a very specific set of birders. Some terms seem to be very similar between languages, but could have risen independently - the two bird theory is obvious.

I've actually been planning on starting a bird blog for a while that is aimed towards helping new birders become connected and understanding the birding community. One of the big things I've been working on is a list of birding terms. I've found that there are a lot of terms like this that are used frequently by birders but never given explanation. It took me forever to find an actual definition for the word "pish", for example, although it looks like someone has now made a Wikipedia article for it.

El Perkele posted:

Owling is horrible, by the way. Completely abysmal. I like it. Nevertheless I managed to hear 4 species and 12 individuals in two evenings (3 Ural, 1 Eagle, 7 Tengmalm's and 1 Pygmy), which bodes well for owl ringers.

Someone would have to be kicking me in the balls ever five minutes for this to register as anything less than awesome.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

El Perkele posted:

The terror of owling is not the evenings you happen to hear them, but the endless hours where you stand in the dark, listening to distant cars, it's too cold, it's 2am, you hear nothing

"Is that an Long-Eared Owl, or a dog barking really far away?"

Really though, the true terror of owling is when you're out in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere and you run into someone else. I know I'm sane and up to something useful, but WTF are these people out here for? I once pulled into a gravel parking lot and my headlights illuminated a whole group of people standing around in the dark doing who knows what. Needless to say, I did u-turn and headed to the next spot.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Count Freebasie posted:

Glad I stumbled on this thread. I'm into photography and happened to pass by a National Refuge in Virginia in July and wandered in with my rig and slapped on a 300mm zoom lens to see what I could see (Street Photography is my normal MO). I went back into my memory cards and apparently I took pictures of some Ospreys, a Blue Grosbeak and some other bird I can't identify. I downloaded the iBird app and am pretty sure I identified the first two correctly (I know gently caress-all about birds), but I can't seem to get this last picture of the three birds identified. Any guesses?

e: Okay this is really tough, identifying these birds. I have the iBird Pro app, went through an old picture I found from July '13 in the Pittsburgh area, put in all of the relevant info that I could find (I tried to get specific, and then did less specific searches in case I was getting color wrong, etc.), and for the life of me, I can't figure out what this goddamned thing is. Nothing shows a bird of this color with the orange breast in any of the illustrations that they say are possible matches. Birding seems really interesting,and would be a great by-product or even possible focus (no pun intended) of my photography, but it seems that I can't even get the basics of this. Really frustrating at this point.

Here is the bird. I'm curious if anyone knows what it is what the illustration on iBird will look like once I search by name:

Your Osprey and Blue Grosbeak are definitely correct ID's. The last bird is an American Robin. The third photo though, is interesting. I'm kind of leaning towards juvenile Starlings, although they don't looks quite right.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Beak looked too large to me, but upon actual comparison with a field guide I concur on Indigo Bunting.

That reminds me that someone posted on my local listserv and linked to their online photo gallery which was chock full of wrongly identified birds. Mostly common birds identified as rarer birds, but they had a Indigo Bunting that they apparently photographed nearby labeled as a Mountain Bluebird. Mountain Bluebirds aren't exactly common in that county, but Indigo Buntings are incredibly rare.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Count Freebasie posted:

Bird Gurus, need some help.

I'm in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico (what-what), and I have my camera with me as usual. Been taking pics of birds that pass by wherever I am, but am having trouble identifying this one. I ran the details I could pick out through iBird, and none of them seem to match what I'm seeing here. Any ideas?

e: It's a Magnificent Frigatebird, isn't it?

Yep. They're awesome and appropriately named.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Count Freebasie posted:

Okay, this poo poo is hard. Caught two pictures of this bird (Puerto Vallarta, Mexico) and the closest guess I can figure is a Gray-crowned Yellowthroat, but according to iBird there are like 35 birds here with yellow bellies. In the third pic, is that a juvenile of the same type or a different bird altogether?

I hate to keep hounding everyone here, but this is way harder to identify stuff than I thought. Just trying to learn :(

The Kingbird struck me as a Cassin's based on the dark gray head and the relatively small size of the head and bill. All four of those species are pretty tough to ID with certainty though.

Second bird is a mystery for me as well.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

One Swell Foop posted:

I hate to break it to you, but that's not an Eastern Bluebird, it's a European Robin, a member of the flycatcher family.

E: in fact, it's the original robin that the American Robin was named after even though it's a thrush.

And the European "Blackbird" is a Thrush as well.

See also:
http://albertonykus.deviantart.com/art/Never-Trust-Passerine-Nomenclature-427440361

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

I think it was in this thread, months ago, that I was asking about a good bird book for Europe, and Birds of Europe, 2nd Edition was suggested. Perfect. This book is excellent. Thanks again to everyone who recommended it.

Glad you like it. It really is an excellent, excellent book and is considered by many to be the best bird field guide in the world. I own it and I have never been outside of North America and have no immediate plans to.

In other news, my work emailed me to say they need me to go to Fargo the third week of May. I wasn't too thrilled about this since, ya know, Fargo, but I pulled up an eBird graph for that county and just about fell out of my chair when I got to the Warblers. Third week of May is basically peak Warbler migration and they get a ton of birds. There's like 9 lifer warblers that are passing through at that time and about that many that I've only seen once in Belize. Not to mention Vireos, Tanagers, etc. I'm beyond excited.

edit: Speaking of great books, I still have a CamelCamelCamel alert on The Shorebird Guide for some reason and I just got an email saying that it's being sold new 3rd party for under $12 shipped. This book is excellent and well worth owning if you don't already have it.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 30, 2014

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Just going to go way out on a limb based on some assumptions on what really common birds that make high pitched short songs in that neck of the woods might be and guess Carolina Chickadee?

http://www.xeno-canto.org/138604

Chickadee songs are really weird because they don't sound much like the rest of the calls they make all year long.

I did a county big day on Friday. I'd never done one before and I did it solo so it was definitely a learning experience. I think I spent too much time trying to get "quality" birds rather than quantity because I got multiple FOY birds for the county, generated a couple rare bird alerts on eBird, but missed fish-in-a-barrel birds like crazy. Still, I had as much fun as waking up at 2:30am to go stand in the woods can be.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Yes, I'd say Yellow-Rumped Warbler, Myrtle's subspecies.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I'm in Fargo this week, as I mentioned earlier, and the birding has been insane at times. Tuesday was amazing. In one morning I saw as many warbler species in one park as were seen in my home state last year (and we didn't even see a Waterthrush). Not quite as good as further east would be, but still pretty awesome. Sadly, no new push of birds since then so things have thinned out and I'm still missing some target birds, but its been pretty awesome.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Just got back from a work trip to North Carolina. The last month has been probably the best birding month of my life. Take a look at my life list from eBird since 5/15:

code:
443	Hermit Warbler		US-OR	5/15/2014
444	Tufted Puffin		US-OR	5/16/2014
445	Alder Flycatcher	US-MN	5/19/2014
446	Tennessee Warbler	US-MN	5/19/2014
447	Mourning Warbler	US-MN	5/19/2014
448	Chestnut-sided Warbler	US-MN	5/19/2014
449	Blackpoll Warbler	US-MN	5/19/2014
450	Greater Prairie-Chicken	US-MN	5/19/2014
451	Philadelphia Vireo	US-ND	5/20/2014
452	Gray-cheeked Thrush	US-ND	5/20/2014
453	Golden-winged Warbler	US-ND	5/20/2014
454	Connecticut Warbler	US-ND	5/20/2014
455	White-rumped Sandpiper	US-ND	5/20/2014
456	Broad-winged Hawk	US-ND	5/21/2014
457	Yellow-throated Vireo	US-MN	5/23/2014
458	Chestnut-collared Longspur	US-MN	5/23/2014
459	Upland Sandpiper	US-MN	5/23/2014
460	Canada Warbler		US-ND	5/23/2014
461	Eastern Whip-poor-will	US-NC	6/3/2014
462	Pine Warbler		US-NC	6/3/2014
463	Prairie Warbler		US-NC	6/3/2014
464	Yellow-billed Cuckoo	US-NC	6/4/2014
465	Acadian Flycatcher	US-NC	6/4/2014
466	Eastern Meadowlark	US-NC	6/5/2014
467	Louisiana Waterthrush	US-NC	6/6/2014
468	Worm-eating Warbler	US-NC	6/6/2014
469	Swainson's Warbler	US-NC	6/6/2014
470	Blue-headed Vireo	US-NC	6/6/2014
471	Scarlet Tanager		US-NC	6/6/2014
472	Black-throated Blue Warbler	US-NC	6/10/2014
473	Cerulean Warbler	US-NC	6/10/2014
474	Blackburnian Warbler	US-NC	6/10/2014
In addition to those 31 lifers, I had seven more birds (Ovenbird, Magnolia Warbler, B&W Warbler, Hooded Warbler, Black-Throated Green Warbler, Orchard Oriole, and Wood Thrush) that I'd only seen in Belize and were therefore ABA area birds.

If you live in the eastern half of the US I know many of those are pretty laughable (I should've gotten Eastern Meadowlark several times over by now) but a lot of those birds are species I stared at in field guides and could barely believe existed so it has been pretty awesome to finally see them. I'm birded out (and I worked 100 hours last week as well), but I am headed out tomorrow a birding conference where I have a shot at up to four more life birds.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 11, 2014

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

In my mind the issues are pretty minor. The Scarlet Tanager is a little dark. A few others are a little off, but nothing that would effect the ID. The other complaint is that some of the text is a little small and light which is hard on some people's eyes.

Overall it's a huge a huge improvement on the older edition. I don't regret buying it at all. New edition is scheduled for November from what I hear.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

Couple of ID requests. These are all from central Alberta, Canada:

I believe this to be a Hudsonian Godwit, since he was standing beside a Marbled Godwit and the two looked completely different, and nothing else seems to match around here.

Is there a way to tell a juvi California Gull from a juvi Herring Gull? I thought the black beak was the deciding feature but then I found a picture of a black-beaked juvi California Gull in my Gull guide (Peterson's). I hate juvi bird IDs.

I would say that definitely looks like a Hudsonian Godwit to me. Absolutely not a Marbled. In flight the difference is pretty obvious with the Hudsonian having an obvious white rump.

Your gull... Juveniles are hard. The new Sibley's says of juvenile California Gulls, "bill pink-based by Oct." My hunch is California, but its just a hunch. Head looks small, primaries look long, bill looks short. I haven't had any first hand experience with juv Herring Gulls though so grain of salt and all..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Bird porn. Ugh, can I start a gofundme to fly me to Alaska next June?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yyMEoqG0jA