Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

So we have a passageway between two buildings where birds have a hard time. Either they hit the windows and die, or they get stuck / lost in there until they exhaust themselves. They have a really hard time finding their way out because of all the windows.

For the second time, I saw a Brown Creeper lying on the ground. You know it's bad to see that, because they're a creeping bird that doesn't perch or lay on the ground. I figured it was dead, but my heart sank when I got close to it and saw its little head move. I was terrified that it had broken its wings by flying into the building. I had to know for sure, so I went to pick it up... and it flew a little bit and grabbed onto my left leg! It was okay! Totally exhausted, but okay.

So I had to get it out of there. I scooped it up, it tried to fly a bit and immediately landed on my shirt (believe it or not, this is the second Brown Creeper that has used me as a nice tree trunk to rest on). I quickly covered it so it wouldn't fly away, and I walked it to the nearby bike path. I opened my hands, petted its little head, waited a moment, and it flew straight to the biggest tree trunk it saw. So happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

LikeABell posted:

This is from a bit back, but I work with injured wildlife at my job and this is a pretty classic injury for birds. Obviously you know windows are a huge problem for birds. Many times if they hit the windows and they DON'T die, they get coracoid fractures (a paired bone part of the shoulder). The injury is interesting because they can fly a bit, but they can't get any lift because of the injury to the shoulder. It usually heals pretty quickly. Other times, they get immediately stunned by the window strikes and need a little time clinging to a nice person before they fly off :). Cool bird though, I was in the only group that saw a Brown Creeper in my first Christmas Bird Count three years ago and so they hold a special place in my heart!

You have to love Brown Creepers. They're soooo adorable, and they absolutely live up to the 'creeper' name the way they hop up and down tree trunks. Plus they have that tinge of OCD about methodically combing a nice row of trees for tasty nibbles.

The first time one landed on me, I saw him trying to perch on the smooth marble walls of that passageway. He just couldn't get any traction to land. When I got closer, I froze, and he came and landed on my jeans. We just stood there for about five minutes as he caught his breath. Eventually he took off, and I watched as he finally found his way out.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

The easiest marking to distinguish between a Red Tail and Swainson's when the bird is perched like that is to look at where the wing tips reach. If the wing tips touch the end of the tail it's a Swainson's. (ie your bird is a red tail)

Ahh the red tail. The most disappointing of hawks.

"Oooh! Hawk! There! It's.... a red tail." :geno:

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Oh man that's great. I'm hopeful that this year's Christmas count will finally bring a snowy into the mix. Speaking of, who here does their local Christmas count?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Only news around here is that the White Throated Sparrows are singing their little heads off. They're here for about a week before moving on.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Trip to Australia was awesome for birding. Saw Rainbow Lorikeets, Cockatoos, and snapped this picture of a Laughing Kookaburra that just came down to eye level and hung out a few feet from us.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Tofu Terry posted:

Hi birding thread!

Hi! Chickadees are my favorite too.

When looking for a field guide, get one with drawings, like a Peterson. The ones with photos are fun to have, but not as useful for identification.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Spent the whole day driving around Nowhere, WI as a last ditch attempt to see a Snowy Owl this season. 9 were reported in an area, but didn't see any. Found an owl pellet, but no owl.

Oh well! Next year, maybe.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Bummer! Winter isn't over yet, maybe you have another chance?

Oh hey haven't reported back here, but yeah we saw one! Went down to the port of Milwaukee early morning one day and spotted him. Got some pretty long-distance pics, but there he is!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

My birding time in Asia was really helped by https://ebird.org/explore. Search by region was invaluable for help identifying birds in a country where you don't have a guide book.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Saw Snow Buntings for the first time!

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Fabulousity posted:

Attracted an unexpected guest after an easy meal:

It was carefully digging through the brick trying to pick out something specific. Sunflower seeds maybe?

What's up Pileated buddy! I have been walking the same park for two weeks trying to get my first shot of one, and just yesterday I finally got it:

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Great photos. I really need a zoom lens.
Yeah I love birding with the big camera zoom. It's especially fun when you see a bird you've seen many times, but they're in a nice light or something for a good shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Yeah I was excited to catch a picture of a loon with a baby, but now that the weather is nice all the boaters are out on Lake Superior. I don't really see any water fowl anymore, and I think it's because the boats scare them away :(